* * * * * 1 votes

FIFA World Cup 2014 OT (Congrats to GERMANY & kdiddy1989)

World Cup Brazil FIFA World Cup 2014

Poll: ESPN Bracket Prize

What should the prize be?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 hpbbes   I typo'd my username CAGiversary!   1267 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 19 May 2014 - 01:22 AM

I think Hart is too high. I think I'd take Begovic over him.

#32 kdiddy1989   I make average CAGs look rich. CAGiversary!   2186 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

Posted 19 May 2014 - 04:58 AM

How could Casillas be higher than Neuer? Neuer is Bayern's number 1 keeper while Casillas only plays in the CL. No arguments with Courtois though. He has had a phenomenal year.

His reason behind Neuer at 5: Neuer is considered by many to be the best goalkeeper in the world, but there are some warning signs for the German international based on his recent form for Bayern Munich. Since Jan. 1, Neuer conceded 12 of his 19 Bundesliga goals over 15 appearances, including five from within 6 yards, even though as a team Bayern conceded a league-low 7.0 shot attempts per game over that period.

Howard is maybe a little high on list but Courtois is a sight to behold in goal.

Talk of him replacing Cech this coming season, especially after his shoulder surgery

I agree 100% with the Howard comment. Those are some greats they have him above. I don't think it's by much, but he should surely be ranked lower in my opinion.

I think Hart is too high. I think I'd take Begovic over him.

I'm with you. Begovic is the most consistent keeper in the Premier League and if this injury to Cech is serious, I'd call him the best in the EPL. Gimme Begovic over De Gea, Hart, Howard any day. He needs to pull off one of these moves to a big club (that he has been linked to) to get more exposure to casual football fans.

#33 kill3r7   MiNd ThE GaP CAGiversary!   4653 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 19 May 2014 - 01:53 PM

His reason behind Neuer at 5: Neuer is considered by many to be the best goalkeeper in the world, but there are some warning signs for the German international based on his recent form for Bayern Munich. Since Jan. 1, Neuer conceded 12 of his 19 Bundesliga goals over 15 appearances, including five from within 6 yards, even though as a team Bayern conceded a league-low 7.0 shot attempts per game over that period.

I agree 100% with the Howard comment. Those are some greats they have him above. I don't think it's by much, but he should surely be ranked lower in my opinion.

I'm with you. Begovic is the most consistent keeper in the Premier League and if this injury to Cech is serious, I'd call him the best in the EPL. Gimme Begovic over De Gea, Hart, Howard any day. He needs to pull off one of these moves to a big club (that he has been linked to) to get more exposure to casual football fans.

Begovic is an excellent keeper but sometimes it is hard to gauge his worth when you consider Stoke play a very safe/defensive style. I'm inclined to give some credit to the defense. A move to a big club would do wonders for his career. Everton on the other hand played a much more open game this season under Martinez than last year under Moyes. Yet, Howard finished second in the EPL for most clean sheets and his distribution was excellent. I don't think you can go wrong with either guy. Is Howard rated too high? Probably but so is Hart.  

Getting back to the Neuer v Casillas argument. Casillas has made 17 appearances this season vs Neuer's 48. IMO 17 appearances  in all competitions is too small a sample size to draw any real conclusions.  Sorry don't mean to sound like a Bayern/Neuer apologist. I'm not even a fan of Bayern just befuddled by the ratings.   

#34 kill3r7   MiNd ThE GaP CAGiversary!   4653 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 19 May 2014 - 03:26 PM

On a slight tangent, LVG confirmed as United head coach. As a United fan I'm happy they signed him. At least pre and post game interviews will never be boring again. 

#35 kilik64   Carefree, Wherever We May Be CAGiversary!   7599 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Posted 19 May 2014 - 06:07 PM

On a slight tangent, LVG confirmed as United head coach. As a United fan I'm happy they signed him. At least pre and post game interviews will never be boring again. 

Agreed. This EPL season wasnt nearly as fun with ManUre being so freaking terrible. 

#36 kill3r7   MiNd ThE GaP CAGiversary!   4653 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 19 May 2014 - 07:18 PM

Agreed. This EPL season wasnt nearly as fun with ManUre being so freaking terrible. 

Next season will certainly be a ton of fun. There are at least 6, maybe 7 teams, who will compete for the top 4 spots. 

#37 bestkeeper14   Currently Playing Madden 16 CAGiversary!   4149 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

bestkeeper14

Posted 19 May 2014 - 07:51 PM

I think you underestimate Howard and his impact a Everton... Remember that Howard set the shutout record in 09, and honestly I don't know how close to the top 4 Everton would be without him.  However he will be starting his decline and his career is coming to a close.  But I have always had Howard in my top 5, and I like seeing an analyst do the same

#38 kilik64   Carefree, Wherever We May Be CAGiversary!   7599 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Posted 20 May 2014 - 12:17 PM

I think you underestimate Howard and his impact a Everton... Remember that Howard set the shutout record in 09, and honestly I don't know how close to the top 4 Everton would be without him.  However he will be starting his decline and his career is coming to a close.  But I have always had Howard in my top 5, and I like seeing an analyst do the same

Nah timmy has at least 3 more really good years, most elite keepers dont really start to fall off until late 30s, hes 35 so should still be elite for another 3 or so, even then he could prolly play until early 40s and still be good. Cant think of his name but that one keeper for manu was still really good when he retired at like 45, he was asked to still play but was like nah, im old, im tired, im done.

#39 kill3r7   MiNd ThE GaP CAGiversary!   4653 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:53 PM

Nah timmy has at least 3 more really good years, most elite keepers dont really start to fall off until late 30s, hes 35 so should still be elite for another 3 or so, even then he could prolly play until early 40s and still be good. Cant think of his name but that one keeper for manu was still really good when he retired at like 45, he was asked to still play but was like nah, im old, im tired, im done.

Van der Sar was only 40 when he retired but yeah he could have played on. Fergie recommended he retire on top. 

#40 bestkeeper14   Currently Playing Madden 16 CAGiversary!   4149 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

bestkeeper14

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:57 PM

Van der Sar was only 40 when he retired but yeah he could have played on. Fergie recommended he retire on top. 

I more meant he is on the down swing with this being his most probable last world cup.  I feel like most players enter the twilight of their careers when they retire from international to focus on club.  They can't do the grind due to age, just meaning his career is coming to a close.

#41 kill3r7   MiNd ThE GaP CAGiversary!   4653 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 20 May 2014 - 02:03 PM

I more meant he is on the down swing with this being his most probable last world cup.  I feel like most players enter the twilight of their careers when they retire from international to focus on club.  They can't do the grind due to age, just meaning his career is coming to a close.

Agreed. I think Howard could and will play on for Everton but this is his last World Cup. He'll probably hang 'em up after Copa America 2016. IMO, it is important that some of the young guys get a crack at it. 

#42 hpbbes   I typo'd my username CAGiversary!   1267 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 20 May 2014 - 03:37 PM

As a United fan, I too am happy with the Van Gaal signing. He's never been a long term solution anywhere, ever, but we need someone to motivate the club, play attacking football, and get the youngsters on the pitch. Pretty much the anti-Moyes.

Has anyone been watching or listening to the Men in Blazers World Cup previews? I highly recommend them.

#43 kill3r7   MiNd ThE GaP CAGiversary!   4653 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 20 May 2014 - 03:38 PM

As a United fan, I too am happy with the Van Gaal signing. He's never been a long term solution anywhere, ever, but we need someone to motivate the club, play attacking football, and get the youngsters on the pitch. Pretty much the anti-Moyes.

Has anyone been watching or listening to the Men in Blazers World Cup previews? I highly recommend them.

Seconded.

I hope United are in a position in 2017-2018 where they get to choose between Giggs and Klopp. Personally, I would prefer Klopp. Dortmund play an excellent brand of football reminiscent of the great AC Milan sides of the late 80s (according to my father) under Arrigo Sacchi. Plus, he has a ton of charisma and could be a long term solution. 

#44 bestkeeper14   Currently Playing Madden 16 CAGiversary!   4149 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

bestkeeper14

Posted 20 May 2014 - 04:03 PM

Agreed. I think Howard could and will play on for Everton but this is his last World Cup. He'll probably hang 'em up after Copa America 2016. IMO, it is important that some of the young guys get a crack at it. 

Yea there are so many promising young and upcoming GK's that haven't really had a chance.  After Howard it's between Guzan and Rimando... but then we have Hamid, Johnson, and Hall... heck even Clint Irwin is now throwing his name in with his play the last 2 years for the Rapids.  US has always been known for goalkeeping, but right now I am not sure what the future looks like.

#45 hpbbes   I typo'd my username CAGiversary!   1267 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 20 May 2014 - 06:33 PM

I like Klopp but barring something crazy (crazier than sleeping with his brother's wife and forcing her to get an abortion allegedly) I can't see them not giving it to Giggs or Scholes or someone else from the class of '92.

#46 kdiddy1989   I make average CAGs look rich. CAGiversary!   2186 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:14 PM

I wasn't underestimating Howard. I love Timmy. His numbers are there. 3rd fewest goals given up (4 of those were own goals) in the EPL this season and that's with a team the likes to go forward. From last year to this year, his save pct went from 70.9% to 77.2% even when Everton gave up 12% more shot attempts. I know he's a beast. I was simply saying he should be a couple spots lower. Certainly behind Neuer and probably Buffon. But I have no issues saying he's a top 5 keeper. I even said 'I don't think it's by much' when I made the comment.

Also, Melville wrote an article on top 5 attacking teams at the World Cup. I'm sure if each one of us had to list our top 5 attacking teams that we'd be very close, if not exactly the 5 he had.

His top 5 are:

1. Germany

2. Spain

3. Argentina

4. Brazil

5. United States. Ok I'm kidding. Netherlands

The list is based on World Cup qualifying and individual performance of players throughout the 2013-14 season, and he considered that some of the attackers who get heavy minutes now will have a new role with the international squads.

#47 bestkeeper14   Currently Playing Madden 16 CAGiversary!   4149 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

bestkeeper14

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:33 PM

I wasn't underestimating Howard. I love Timmy. His numbers are there. 3rd fewest goals given up (4 of those were own goals) in the EPL this season and that's with a team the likes to go forward. From last year to this year, his save pct went from 70.9% to 77.2% even when Everton gave up 12% more shot attempts. I know he's a beast. I was simply saying he should be a couple spots lower. Certainly behind Neuer and probably Buffon. But I have no issues saying he's a top 5 keeper. I even said 'I don't think it's by much' when I made the comment.

Also, Melville wrote an article on top 5 attacking teams at the World Cup. I'm sure if each one of us had to list our top 5 attacking teams that we'd be very close, if not exactly the 5 he had.

His top 5 are:

1. Germany

2. Spain

3. Argentina

4. Brazil

5. United States. Ok I'm kidding. Netherlands

The list is based on World Cup qualifying and individual performance of players throughout the 2013-14 season, and he considered that some of the attackers who get heavy minutes now will have a new role with the international squads.

I think Belgium will surprise a lot of people... 

#48 kill3r7   MiNd ThE GaP CAGiversary!   4653 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:41 PM

I think Belgium is the deepest team not named Germany but they are really green. Benteke being injured also hurts them. Also, for what it is worth no European team has ever won a World Cup hosted in South America. 

#49 bestkeeper14   Currently Playing Madden 16 CAGiversary!   4149 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

bestkeeper14

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:00 PM

I think Belgium is the deepest team not named Germany but they are really green. Benteke being injured also hurts them. Also, for what it is worth no European team has ever won a World Cup hosted in South America. 

Only thing is the teams from outside Europe are the weakest they have ever been... Uruguay, Argentina, and Brazil are not the teams that they have been in the past...  I think that run ends this summer.

#50 hpbbes   I typo'd my username CAGiversary!   1267 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:44 PM

I agree about Uruguay and Argentina not being that strong but I feel like Brazil and Neymar in particular are going to have a good cup. That's Brazil the team, not the country. The country is going to have a rough summer, I think, between the crazy travel schedules, crime, facilities, and civil unrest. I think the people are fed up with the politicians' promises and seeing no benefit from the World Cup or 2016 Olympics.

#51 kilik64   Carefree, Wherever We May Be CAGiversary!   7599 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:46 PM

Belgium might have a good WC, but the next Euro and WC they should be crazy good with all the young talent they have that will be in their prime years at the next Euro and WC

#52 kill3r7   MiNd ThE GaP CAGiversary!   4653 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:49 PM

Only thing is the teams from outside Europe are the weakest they have ever been... Uruguay, Argentina, and Brazil are not the teams that they have been in the past...  I think that run ends this summer.

Agreed. We are also talking about only 4 WCs being held in South America. Not exactly a large sample seize.  Up until 2010 no European team had won outside of Europe and Spain put an end to that. So who really knows? 

Here are my early favorites:

Tier 1

1. Brazil

2. Germany

3. Argentina

4. Spain

Tier 2

5. Belgium

6. Uruguay

7. Netherlands (they need to win the group to avoid Brazil... a tall task when you are in a group with Spain and Chile) The 2nd team in Group B will have an impossible task to make to the final. If they do make it they will certainly be battle tested. 

8. Italy

Dark Horse

France or USA (If Falcao was healthy I would pick Columbia instead of France)

I can setup a WC bracket group on ESPN if folks are interested in partaking.

#53 kill3r7   MiNd ThE GaP CAGiversary!   4653 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:50 PM

Belgium might have a good WC, but the next Euro and WC they should be crazy good with all the young talent they have that will be in their prime years at the next Euro and WC

It's between Belgium and Germany to dominate Europe. Russia 2018 is due or die for Germany assuming they don't pull it off this year.

#54 kilik64   Carefree, Wherever We May Be CAGiversary!   7599 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:52 PM

I can setup a WC bracket group on ESPN if folks are interested in partaking.

Im in.

#55 kdiddy1989   I make average CAGs look rich. CAGiversary!   2186 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

Posted 21 May 2014 - 08:15 AM

I feel like Brazil and Neymar in particular are going to have a good cup. That's Brazil the team, not the country.

They are going to have a ridiculous first game out of the group stage as they will be playing either Chile (who's crazy underrated) Spain or the Netherlands. We'll know then what that Brazilian squad is made of. Their group is a pretty easy group for them.

I'm also in for that ESPN group. Are we rewarding the best predictions with anything or is this strictly bragging rights?

Also, killer, how are you defining tier 1 and tier 2. IMO a tier 2 is a dark horse...

#56 kill3r7   MiNd ThE GaP CAGiversary!   4653 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 21 May 2014 - 12:25 PM

They are going to have a ridiculous first game out of the group stage as they will be playing either Chile (who's crazy underrated) Spain or the Netherlands. We'll know then what that Brazilian squad is made of. Their group is a pretty easy group for them.

I'm also in for that ESPN group. Are we rewarding the best predictions with anything or is this strictly bragging rights?

Also, killer, how are you defining tier 1 and tier 2. IMO a tier 2 is a dark horse...

Agreed. Brazil has an incredibly difficult road to the final. They will have to go through either Spain/Chile/Netherlands follow that up by playing Italy and than have to face the Germans in the semifinals. That is a tall task for any team but they do get the benefit of playing on home soil.

Winner gets either a copy of FIFA 15 or FIFA World Cup (console of your choice) depending on what we all decide on.

Dark horse teams IMO are teams that have incredibly long odds. Belgium currently has the fifth best odds of winning the WC. They can't really be considered a dark horse. I would say a team like Croatia, Ivory Coast or USA are dark horse teams. 

#57 kdiddy1989   I make average CAGs look rich. CAGiversary!   2186 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

Posted 22 May 2014 - 01:00 AM

Mexico has put a ban on beef because of concerns over ingesting the banned, performance-enhancing drug clenbuterol but Miguel Ponce (who was just added as an injury replacement for Juan Carlos Medina) has already committed the crime. "I ate a few tacos, but I hope there is no problem," said Ponce. "From now on I'll follow what's been requested."

Another ban dropped on the national team is sex. Even those with wives and girlfriends. I could understand this for players not to pick up women while they are there but even the married ones?! To me, that's absurd.

Coach Herrera said "No, no one. If a player can't go one month or 20 days without having sexual relations, then they are not prepared to be a professional player. All the players we have selected have a pretty good resume, they all have won great things, they have been champions and obviously, they know what they want to achieve."

#58 kdiddy1989   I make average CAGs look rich. CAGiversary!   2186 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

Posted 22 May 2014 - 08:05 AM

Luis Suarez suffered a meniscus injury that will require immediate surgery. It puts his World Cup participation in jeopardy but reports in Uruguay are saying it should only take him 15-20 days to recover.

#59 kill3r7   MiNd ThE GaP CAGiversary!   4653 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 22 May 2014 - 01:31 PM

Big blow for Uruguay if he is out but Cavani should be able to pick up some of the slack. 

#60 kilik64   Carefree, Wherever We May Be CAGiversary!   7599 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Posted 22 May 2014 - 06:49 PM

Yea would suck not getting to see his bucktooth smile at the WC.

Bright side is he wont bite anyone.