* * * * * 11 votes

Destiny (PS3/PS4) Official Thread

#31 kilik64   Carefree, Wherever We May Be CAGiversary!   7600 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:18 PM

We are already friends Major--deCoverly.

Oh.

Ummm....

#32 AvengedBacklog   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   13144 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

AvengedBacklog

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:31 PM

So really wanted to play this Alpha but the codes have been selling well on eBay...sold mine for $27! That's about half the price after fees for my copy of the game with GCU.

#33 lustyhitter   Video gaming since 1978 CAGiversary!   858 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

lustyhitter

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:37 PM

I didn't know about the Alpha or how to get one. From the action I've seen, it looks amazing and the gameplay is frantic and heart-pounding. I'm kicking myself. Destiny is going to kick major butt this fall.

#34 asspickle   Scandinavian King CAGiversary!   1995 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:45 PM

So really wanted to play this Alpha but the codes have been selling well on eBay...sold mine for $27! That's about half the price after fees for my copy of the game with GCU.

Im not sure how this is relevant to the discussion but okay. I swear some cags can never miss an opportunity to brag. :roll:

I didn't know about the Alpha or how to get one. From the action I've seen, it looks amazing and the gameplay is frantic and heart-pounding. I'm kicking myself. Destiny is going to kick major butt this fall.

Yeah, the feedback and vids from the those playing the alpha have been amazing. Im back on the hype train lol

#35 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5726 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:13 PM

I put in a fair amount of time yesterday on this and some this morning. I'll go ahead and give my thoughts on it.

+ Looks great. Particularly the lighting as I've been extensively through most of the areas if not all. A couple are pretty good atmosphere wise as creepy and I wasn't expecting stuff to detach from the ceiling and fall.

+ Controls are good

+ Unlock upgrades by actually using the ability/item. This goes for both abilities (Different grenades, how an ability works/functions, etc) and weapons (Increase damage & different sights as far as I could tell).

+ PvP feels fairly solid, but it will take some getting used to with abilities and what not. I like how you can only use weapons you have equipped and can swap them out at any time. Of course this removes all ammo for that weapon unless it's your primary.

+ Grouping system works well, which should be expected. I can join a friends party and warp to them and then if their friend gets on, we can merge our group into his or jump the group to him. Works pretty flawlessly from the bit I've experienced it.

+ Everybody can loot a chest found in a party so long as they open it (Square) before it de-spawns from the first person opening it.

+ Decent amount of stuff to find through the world, which seems to have its own score (Grimoire Points) attached to it.

~ The way PvP ammo works is a bit weird. Prevents the abuse of heavy weapons, which is good but I feel like heavy ammo should appear a little more often. Though I suppose I should view the ammo like a vehicle to where if I'm too slow to reach it, too bad.

~ Buying encrypted equipment seems to always be at least 2 levels above you in the alpha. This is very annoying when you're level 8 and you're trying to get a green item in a slot but it's always level 10 to 12. More of an alpha complaint since I'm capped.

- Missions in the open world take me too far too frequently. Example: I start with a new character and grab the one 50 meters from the starting point and it tells me to go over to a level 8 area (as a level 4) that is a decent amount away. Then the next one I take from that area tells me to go back to the starting area. It gets annoying traveling back and forth. However if you're in a group, this usually isn't as bad if you split up.

- Bosses have way too much health in the alpha strike (except for the first of the three really, who dies pretty quickly). On top of that they summon a lot of adds (at least the final boss does) that make it annoying to where one slip up by the entire group and you have to start the entire encounter over. I would rather see about half their health and add a few moves to their move set.

Played for about an hour. VERY similar to halo 3, which I poured 400-500 hours into before my 360 died for the 3rd (and final) time. Wasn't too sure about this, but probably going to pick this up now. I would like a new shooter this Fall.

Now I can teabag you like old times.

#36 Oregon   CAG Collector CAGiversary!   2220 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 14 June 2014 - 12:33 AM

Check your email, i got a code and i dont recall doing anything. Email showed up at 3:08 pacific

#37 gossamer   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   403 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

gossamer

Posted 14 June 2014 - 02:56 AM

Check your email, i got a code and i dont recall doing anything. Email showed up at 3:08 pacific

I didn't do anything either.  I just got an alpha notification on my ps4 a little while ago.  Honestly didn't even know they were giving out alphas.  Not really interested, but I'll give it a try.  My nephew is thrilled though.

#38 striker199   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   653 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

striker199

Posted 14 June 2014 - 07:23 AM

I got an extra alpha code for whoever wants it:

Code: 9LNH-5HNA-286J

#39 io   ... Super Moderators   24873 Posts   Joined 16.4 Years Ago  

Posted 14 June 2014 - 07:24 AM

I just got a code sent to me by Amazon of all places (about 20 minutes ago). I don't even have Destiny preordered or anything. Well, actually, we have the X1 version preordered at the Microsoft Store.

My son wanted to try it out though so that's cool.

#40 Tmega   No Longer In Training CAGiversary!   1234 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

Posted 14 June 2014 - 07:28 AM

I got an extra alpha code for whoever wants it:

Code: 9LNH-5HNA-286J

Thank you I've been trying to get into every alpha and beta this week with no luck. This just made my night thank you again!!!

#41 striker199   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   653 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

striker199

Posted 14 June 2014 - 07:41 AM

Thank you I've been trying to get into every alpha and beta this week with no luck. This just made my night thank you again!!!

Glad to help a cag out

#42 kenwatanabe   more human than human CAGiversary!   2226 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

kenwatanabe

Posted 14 June 2014 - 01:00 PM

Alpha is awesome, Destiny is going to be GOAT.

#43 Aejeck   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   146 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted 14 June 2014 - 01:11 PM

I got a second code from Amazon, so if anyone still needs one, PM me and it's yours.

Edit -- gone

#44 kcollins1304   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   79 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

kcollins1304

Posted 14 June 2014 - 02:48 PM

I've got a spare amazon code, First PM gets it. Edit: gone

#45 skubish   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   927 Posts   Joined 17.6 Years Ago  

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:05 PM

Here is another code. GBT6-CQNC-TMFG

#46 dmaul1114   Banned Banned   24688 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

dmaul1114

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:34 PM

I played a bunch yesterday. Got my hunter character to level 8 did the story mission, strike mission, a bunch of quests in the free roam area and played one round of MP. Started up a Titan character and a warlock too to check those out. Titan I just did the story mission. Warlock I did that and several missions in the free roam area.

Hunter is my favorite class, followed by warlock. I got another alpha code from Amazon and sent it to my friend who didn't get one from Bungie. Hoping to play with him some over the weekend.

I love the game. Just what I was expecting from a Halo/Borderlands mash up. I love that there's no voice chat with randoms unless you add them to your fireteam as annoying people was my biggest worry with the game.

#47 blueweltall   Kill the Batman CAGiversary!   7073 Posts   Joined 17.1 Years Ago  

blueweltall

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:43 PM

Edit: Gone

#48 paz9x  

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:47 PM

my ps3 playing died off years ago and so did my friends list (I probably still have some of you guys on there from way back). Anyway, Ill be playing a lot, if anybody would like to add some friends id love to have some ps4 folks to play with.

edit- ppowers

#49 AvengedBacklog   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   13144 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

AvengedBacklog

Posted 14 June 2014 - 05:51 PM

Glad everybody is liking the alpha so far. Looking forward to the beta soon

#50 mitchega   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   39 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 14 June 2014 - 06:11 PM

Alpha code for anyone who still needs one:

F7R9-9NNJ-LMKH

#51 SynGamer   Daydreamer & Dilettante. Rated M for Mature. CAGiversary!   8804 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 14 June 2014 - 06:54 PM

Just pre-ordered the game. Initial videos last year were "meh" for me, but now that I'm playing it, I'm sold. It's combining multiple genre's into one and doing it extremely well.

FPS = ✔

MMO-setup = ✔

Halo (3) vibe = ✔

Beautiful graphics (PS4) = ✔

Fun-factor = ✔

Bring on September. Will probably skip the beta so there are *some* surprises left when the game releases...unless my character(s) transfer over to the full game from the alpha/beta. Do we have any word on this?

#52 budz   I like bananas CAGiversary!   617 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 14 June 2014 - 08:16 PM

The alpha sold me on a preorder. I love both the Co op and the competitive multi-player.

The auto upgrade while using the weapons is an awesome touch. Graphics and control are solid. Music is... lackluster, but not a deal-breaker. Hopefully the story holds up too. The presentation is overall top-notch. Can't wait for September.

Add me: Budz04

#53 Yanksfan   Cubs Fan Too :( CAGiversary!   5389 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 14 June 2014 - 08:21 PM

I just got a code sent to me by Amazon of all places (about 20 minutes ago). I don't even have Destiny preordered or anything. Well, actually, we have the X1 version preordered at the Microsoft Store.

My son wanted to try it out though so that's cool.

Same thing for me, but I got mine last night I think. Did you buy your PS4 from Amazon? That is the only thing I can think of that would cause them to have sent it to me. I have ordered no PS4 games or accessories from them.

#54 Bezerker   Bezerker Barrage! CAGiversary!   7091 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:42 PM

I got my PS4 from Amazon, so I'm guessing thats why they sent me a code.

I honestly had no interest in this game up until E3, thinking it was just another bland FPS Halo clone, but it seems to be a combination of Defiance & Borderlands and I am really enjoying it. 

#55 SynGamer   Daydreamer & Dilettante. Rated M for Mature. CAGiversary!   8804 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:43 PM

I honestly had no interest in this game up until E3, thinking it was just another bland FPS Halo clone, but it seems to be a combination of Defiance & Borderlands and I am really enjoying it. 

Technically, you wouldn't be far off from calling it a "Halo clone", since Destiny is being created by the same company/people who originally created Halo ;)

#56 LostMyNarbles  

LostMyNarbles

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:55 PM

Here's my code from Amazon if anyone wants it just post if you redeem it so I can mark it as such.

CE8C-RMND-DBG3 

Redeemed.

#57 Ivanhoe   CagMaster CAGiversary!   1834 Posts   Joined 17.9 Years Ago  

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:56 PM

Yeah same here. PS4 from amazon at launch and they sent me the code.

I expected just another boring FPS/Halo game.  Turns out it is going to be much more in depth than that with upgrades and rpg elements etc.

Better than I expected but I cannot really say I am all that impressed.

Will check out the closed beta later where the game will be more polished and have more options.

It is better then BF Hardline though imo. 

#58 Nax5   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   656 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:58 PM

Here's my code from Amazon if anyone wants it just post if you redeem it so I can mark it as such.

CE8C-RMND-DBG3 

Got it! Thank you!

#59 LostMyNarbles  

LostMyNarbles

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:59 PM

Got it! Thank you!

Thank you for posting it!

#60 Matt Young   Follow the buzzards CAGiversary!   15183 Posts   Joined 17.0 Years Ago  

Matt Young

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:05 PM

I can confirm that even if you didn't get a PS4 from Amazon, you will get a code for the alpha simply by preordering now. It doesn't cost a thing. So nobody waste money on a code! Plus that same preorder gets you into the beta next month.

The alpha is amazing, by the way. Reminds me of Halo 2 and 3 with the way I can lose hours when playing with a group of friends.