Destiny (PS3/PS4) Official Thread

Ah, OK, I read more of the info off the wiki. It explains the Venus, Mars, and other locations as

This Traveller thing (the big sphere) arriving and bringing a bunch of technology, spurring a Golden Age and terraforming planets and such for human habitation

I played as a Warlock for a couple hours yesterday.  Here's my general thoughts:

I've been following the game for awhile, and have been looking forward to get my hands on a playable version for some time.  All in all, I'm . . . really disappointed.  The controls felt way stiff.  Double jumping was cumbersome and overly complicated.  I would have to repeatedly try to "double jump" before I'd finally get distance in the air.  Instead of going higher, I'd glide.  I also felt like I was having to reload non-stop before things would die.  But, this may be due to the "expert mode" dealy that was mentioned earlier.

All in all, it left me with a sour taste in my mouth.  I really hated how stiff the controls felt.  Although, if they can fix the controls to be less stiff feeling and more fluid . . . well, I'd have high hopes again.  The game was beautiful, and reminded me of a cross of Mass Effect and Borderlands.  It certainly has potential.

I played as a Warlock for a couple hours yesterday. Here's my general thoughts:

Double jumping was cumbersome and overly complicated. I would have to repeatedly try to "double jump" before I'd finally get distance in the air. Instead of going higher, I'd glide.
I noticed the majority of the warlock players were using their double jump incorrectly. If a warlock activates their 'glide jump' immediately after a jump, they will ascend far higher than a hunter's double jump. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
^This. It took me a little while to figure it out but once I figured out I could "jump glide" I was using it to glide behind cover or get to higher ground.

Also, IMO the controls are spot on, similar to Halo. 

I haven't even played the alpha and I'm already sick of seeing everyone complain about Peter Dinklage and his delivery.

People realize this is an alpha right? Could easily be a placeholder and/or not final version.

Hardly think it's a newsworthy subject in a media that is plagued with these kind of horrid performances.

I haven't even played the alpha and I'm already sick of seeing everyone complain about Peter Dinklage and his delivery.

People realize this is an alpha right? Could easily be a placeholder and/or not final version.

Hardly think it's a newsworthy subject in a media that is plagued with these kind of horrid performances.
On the contrary, people voicing their concerns about Dinklage's performance is a good thing as it might force Bungie to look into redoing the voice work prior to release. If it turns out that it was a placeholder than no harm no foul.

The Alpha sold me on this game after being kinda iffy on it, Its day one now for sure. I also tried some remote play and it worked well, It took a while to get used to sprinting though. You have to tap down on the d-pad while pushing up on the analog stick.

Just a heads up. The Playstation content might be a timed exclusive. http://www.joystiq.com/2014/06/17/make-space-for-destinys-playstation-exclusive-content/

So you might get the content on the Xbone version, eventually...
Yes, its been confirmed as a timed exclusive.

Yes, its been confirmed as a timed exclusive.
Just a matter of how long. If just a month or two, then it's pretty much a "who cares?" If it's a year (the article linked suggests exclusivity until Fall 2015), then it's may as well be exclusive as it will be exclusive pretty much the whole time most people are playing this game as by a year later people will have moved onto something else. Unless they keep rolling DLC expansions out every few months for more than a year of course.

Just a matter of how long. If just a month or two, then it's pretty much a "who cares?" If it's a year (the article linked suggests exclusivity until Fall 2015), then it's may as well be exclusive as it will be exclusive pretty much the whole time most people are playing this game as by a year later people will have moved onto something else. Unless they keep rolling DLC expansions out every few months for more than a year of course.
The game is supposed to be around for 10 years... don't know if it will be Destiny 2-x or come in expansions my hope is expansions.

The game is supposed to be around for 10 years... don't know if it will be Destiny 2-x or come in expansions my hope is expansions.
I took it more that they had a ten-year plan for the franchise. I'd guess a lot of DLC and new main game every 2-3 years.

If they were smart they would just offer "Season Passes" every year for 50-60 with one new planet + added strikes. Then people who like to live one gen behind wont lose out on the next iteration. *points to the people who still play FFXI on PS2*

I think it all depends on what they see the game as if it is an MMO then I can whole heartedly see it easily lasting 10 years. Considering Halo was the game that made FPS's "Cool" on Consoles.

With Activision being the DLC whores they are my bet is there will be 1 game with just expansion every year to 6 months at the very least.

If they were smart they would just offer "Season Passes" every year for 50-60 with one new planet + added strikes. Then people who like to live one gen behind wont lose out on the next iteration. *points to the people who still play FFXI on PS2*

I think it all depends on what they see the game as if it is an MMO then I can whole heartedly see it easily lasting 10 years. Considering Halo was the game that made FPS's "Cool" on Consoles.

With Activision being the DLC whores they are my bet is there will be 1 game with just expansion every year to 6 months at the very least.
no way they stay with one game for years lol destiny will be good chance every two year game (if it does well with sales) Seeing base game is done could turn into a every year series.

Damn that is a long time and this will suck for the Xbox users. These exclusive contents things are really dumb and so are the time dlc. Money wise I can see why it is good for developers but it sucks for gamers. I also really hate different store exclusive preorder bonuses too.

Damn that is a long time and this will suck for the Xbox users. These exclusive contents things are really dumb and so are the time dlc. Money wise I can see why it is good for developers but it sucks for gamers. I also really hate different store exclusive preorder bonuses too.
Agreed.

Yet, I can't help but be surprised at buzz/controversy this news is creating. At the end of the day we are talking about 1 multiplayer map, 1 strike mission and a bunch of extra weapons and gear. How is this shit any different than the stupid store exclusive preorder bonuses? The majority of the game will be the same on both consoles.

Agreed.

Yet, I can't help but be surprised at buzz/controversy this news is creating. At the end of the day we are talking about 1 multiplayer map, 1 strike mission and a bunch of extra weapons and gear. How is this shit any different than the stupid store exclusive preorder bonuses? The majority of the game will be the same on both consoles.
Yeah, it's not much content at all.

It's really just a marketing coup. Having the ads only mention Sony, the PS3 and PS4 getting exclusive hardware bundles with the game, and being able to say "exclusive content only on Playstation" is great PR. It will make the game sell the most copies on PS4 (much like Watchdogs) and sell more hardware than it moves Xbox Ones. But gameplay wise it's not much content and not worth worrying about for Xbox only gamers IMO.

Its been on here since the 17th. :lol:
The length of exclusivity wasn't confirmed then yet. Not sure it really is yet to be honest since it's just from a blurb on the Amazon product page (unless I missed more recent news in that GAF thread).

The length of exclusivity wasn't confirmed then yet. Not sure it really is yet to be honest since it's just from a blurb on the Amazon product page (unless I missed more recent news in that GAF thread).
GAF thread is using the blurb from Amazon as the source. :p

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/344287946939179008

I think this is just the beginning of exclusive Destiny content.

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/344287946939179008

I think this is just the beginning of exclusive Destiny content.
I didnt realize until today that destiny is a ps4 exclusive in japan. For me the extra strike mission thing is a nice deal, certainly enough to make it a ps4 purchase over xb1.

I didnt realize until today that destiny is a ps4 exclusive in japan. For me the extra strike mission thing is a nice deal, certainly enough to make it a ps4 purchase over xb1.
Why would you buy on xone to begin with? Last I heard game is supposed to run better on the Quad plus with the large install base, should have a larger community on the Quad too.

people that only have xbone will buy it on xbone. I highly doudt i will be playing it for a year to even have that affect. So far i don't have many gaming friends getting this game and still not sold on it my self. The single player stuff in alpha seem fun but mp just felt way too much halo for my liking was hoping for something diff from bungie. Same can be said for games like titanfall it plays and feels like that companys old game. 

im not shocked bungie did this seems like they had a beef with microsoft which is why they left.

Sony was smart to get the marketing rights, this game will be huge on the PS4. Not to mention the white bundle will sell a ton of consoles for them.

Arg - I would totally get the PS4 version if it was just me playing it, but my son wants it on the X1. I'm not that into the game that I'll want to buy both versions, so I guess I'm stuck on the "B" platform ;).

cosmetic (2 to $4) and DLC I am banking on them trying to make us pay out the ass for 1 mission ($15.00)  or a planet full of missions (30-40$)look at what you get with the map packs for COD I would bet it is very similar. Granted its all speculation on my part but seeing as it is Activision all bets are off on how much the broom will be shoved up our ass.

Well I've gone from slightly interested, to very interested (with the Borderlands comparison, loot-fest, upgrading armor/etc), to skeptical (micro-transactions), to a big pass.

This game will not support split screen.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3-2014-bungie-s-destiny-doesn-t-support-split-screen-co-op/1100-6420387/

So... fuck that.

But we really wanted to untether guardians. Even if you're in a fireteam, you can go wherever you want. That level of freedom was really important for us. We know some players really like split-screen. Ultimately, you can't build a game to suit every single player out there.
So playing local co-op with a buddy is single player? Well...I kinda see what they are saying, so basically this game is online only, hurray for DC's before you can loot that boss! Or if the game doesn't boot you, hurray for all your friends/squad/"fireteam" dropping out just as you enter said boss fight and you die a horrible death!

Local co-op mingling with online isn't a new concept. Borderlands, Dragon's Crown, heck even Awesomenauts did it.

But that first sentence doesn't make sense. The whole point of local co-op is to explore/play with a friend. Why would you want to go wander 50 miles away? I may not care about that random person online I happened upon, but when I sit down for local co-op, there was a reason for that.

I'm not sure why you even expected this game to have splitscreen a game of this magnitude just wouldn't be able to pull that off without some serious performance and visual compromises. I think his statement makes sense in the fact that they want you to be able to roam around with friends without feeling like you're all being held together by an invisible net.

Also I'm not sure why you're just now getting upset about it being online-only when that's been a pretty general idea since it was announced as it appears they're pushing it to more of an MMO experience. I seriously doubt they'll be much connection issues as I'm sure Activision will pump a good amount of money into the servers and really in general I don't think Call of Duty has ever had any "huge" issues.

It's an online only FPSMMO-esque game. I would like to think that if local co-op was possible, Bungie would have included it. The fact that it is not there suggests that it can't be done (at least at this time). 

Eh, I wasn't looking for a MMO and I didn't think any console (it's only on console for now) gamer was either.

As for split screen, I thought every game Bungie ever made had split screen, no? I've seen the Alpha and I see nothing at all impressive that would make split screen impossible.

As far as I'm aware, Destiny has been a "mystery" for a very long time, even Giant Bomb didn't know (or let us know) about it until E3-ish. My impressions for the last year haven been shooter that you team up with friends, not exactly exciting in any way. But I'm always looking for local co-op games to play. We even played Fuse.

Connection issues was just a joke.

EDIT: Btw, I only played Halo games split screen co-op with friends, so I am weird I guess.

Yeah, I've only ever played Halo split-screen with my son, and I was kind of hoping Destiny would have the same option, but I'm not surprised that it doesn't given the more online-focused aspect of its gameplay.

Oh well - I can still play through some of the Master Chief collection with him and then play Destiny on my own. That would actually be one reason for me to get the PS4 version even though we have the X1 version preordered (since that what he wants to play it on). Since we can't play together anyway I could just go with my preferred platform. Plus that way we can actually play at the same time though not together of course (unless it allows cross-platform play which I doubt - has any game ever done this except for some console/PC games?).

What I'll probably end up doing is playing on the X1 and if I like it enough, picking up the PS4 version when it is cheaper or has a GotY edition or something.

Looking for some night owl gamers to play this with when it comes out on PS4. Spider_Cents is my gamertag. If you add me on PSN please just put CAG in the subject so I know. Thanks!

Yeah, I'm not too psyched for this game anymore now that I know that it can't be splitscreen.  The main draw was being able to play with my wife.  Now . . . meh.

I keep wondering how this games's multiplayer (i.e. TDM) will stack up against Adv Warfighter later this year.  

I keep wondering how this games's multiplayer (i.e. TDM) will stack up against Adv Warfighter later this year.
Same here. I think the co-op multiplayer objective based portion will shine. PvP probably not so much. COD players are looking for a more traditional TMD experience.

Yeah I don't think this will draw in too much if the CoD crowd. It's more a question of how mince of the Halo and Borderlands crowd it can capture.

S0DA POPINSKI said:
Looking for some night owl gamers to play this with when it comes out on PS4. Spider_Cents is my gamertag. If you add me on PSN please just put CAG in the subject so I know. Thanks!
Dormin said:
Usually on from 12am to 3or 4 am. add me if you want tag below :)
I will probably be playing then as well (Pacific time though). Since that is usually when I game, if it is with randoms, it tends to be Japanese and Europeans I'm playing with ;).

But now I might have to get this on PS4 (in addition to the X1 copy for my son). It seems all the cool kids are doing that. I usually picked up multiplatform multiplayer games on the 360 because of the community but it now seems the tide has turned.

guys how big is the destiny map when all the areas are combined?
The only thing Bungie has said is that each planet/moon is the size of all the explorable are in all the levels of Halo Reach. And there are five known worlds currently.

Possibly getting this on both platforms though XB1 will be my primary platform. I just prefer that controller and all my friends that pau multiplayer games are on Xbox.

I wonder if I'll be able to play the beta on PS4 until it comes out on Xbox, probably have to make anther bnet account

Even the expansions will have exclusive content. I dont think I've ever seen this before, wow.

"As an added bonus for PlayStation platforms, the Destiny Expansion pass will also include additional exclusive content for Expansion I and II that will remain exclusive until at least Fall of 2015."

Also, if you pre-ordered digitally you can upgrade to The Gaurdian edition for $29.99.

Even the expansions will have exclusive content. I dont think I've ever seen this before, wow.

"As an added bonus for PlayStation platforms, the Destiny Expansion pass will also include additional exclusive content for Expansion I and II that will remain exclusive until at least Fall of 2015."

Also, if you pre-ordered digitally you can upgrade to The Gaurdian edition for $29.99.
All good and well but when are the expansions coming out? second expansion might be out close to the exclusivity of the content so it wont matter much.

bread's done
Back