Destiny (PS3/PS4) Official Thread

Just pre-ordered the game. Initial videos last year were "meh" for me, but now that I'm playing it, I'm sold. It's combining multiple genre's into one and doing it extremely well.

FPS = ✔

MMO-setup = ✔

Halo (3) vibe = ✔

Beautiful graphics (PS4) = ✔

Fun-factor = ✔

Bring on September. Will probably skip the beta so there are *some* surprises left when the game releases...unless my character(s) transfer over to the full game from the alpha/beta. Do we have any word on this?

The alpha sold me on a preorder. I love both the Co op and the competitive multi-player.

The auto upgrade while using the weapons is an awesome touch. Graphics and control are solid. Music is... lackluster, but not a deal-breaker. Hopefully the story holds up too. The presentation is overall top-notch. Can't wait for September.

Add me: Budz04

I just got a code sent to me by Amazon of all places (about 20 minutes ago). I don't even have Destiny preordered or anything. Well, actually, we have the X1 version preordered at the Microsoft Store.

My son wanted to try it out though so that's cool.
Same thing for me, but I got mine last night I think. Did you buy your PS4 from Amazon? That is the only thing I can think of that would cause them to have sent it to me. I have ordered no PS4 games or accessories from them.

I got my PS4 from Amazon, so I'm guessing thats why they sent me a code.

I honestly had no interest in this game up until E3, thinking it was just another bland FPS Halo clone, but it seems to be a combination of Defiance & Borderlands and I am really enjoying it. 

I honestly had no interest in this game up until E3, thinking it was just another bland FPS Halo clone, but it seems to be a combination of Defiance & Borderlands and I am really enjoying it.
Technically, you wouldn't be far off from calling it a "Halo clone", since Destiny is being created by the same company/people who originally created Halo ;)

Here's my code from Amazon if anyone wants it just post if you redeem it so I can mark it as such.

CE8C-RMND-DBG3 

Redeemed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yeah same here. PS4 from amazon at launch and they sent me the code.

I expected just another boring FPS/Halo game. Turns out it is going to be much more in depth than that with upgrades and rpg elements etc.

Better than I expected but I cannot really say I am all that impressed.

Will check out the closed beta later where the game will be more polished and have more options.

It is better then BF Hardline though imo.

I can confirm that even if you didn't get a PS4 from Amazon, you will get a code for the alpha simply by preordering now. It doesn't cost a thing. So nobody waste money on a code! Plus that same preorder gets you into the beta next month.

The alpha is amazing, by the way. Reminds me of Halo 2 and 3 with the way I can lose hours when playing with a group of friends.

Yanksfan said:
Same thing for me, but I got mine last night I think. Did you buy your PS4 from Amazon? That is the only thing I can think of that would cause them to have sent it to me. I have ordered no PS4 games or accessories from them.
I did not get my PS4 from Amazon - I got it from Gamestop. I got my X1 from Amazon though. I did have a PS4 preordered for a long time though until I finally cancelled it a few weeks before launch and decided to get it at GS instead. I have bought a lot of PS3 games from Amazon in the past though. But probably it has more to do with my having preordered even though I cancelled it.

Anyway - I played the game late last night and had some fun with it. Yeah, it is definitely Halo meets Borderlands. I like Borderlands and am meh on Halo, but I liked the coop aspects.

Strange, though, when I was in the tower last night I had tons of people around me. My son is playing now and it is empty when he goes to the tower, yet he does see people on the ground when he's doing missions (coop). Neither of us has tried PvP yet (and I probably never will). I'm PS+ and he is not - but I would think he wouldn't see people in coop then either.

Anyway, it sucks this all ends at midnight tomorrow. I won't have that much more time to play.

Strange, though, when I was in the tower last night I had tons of people around me. My son is playing now and it is empty when he goes to the tower, yet he does see people on the ground when he's doing missions (coop). Neither of us has tried PvP yet (and I probably never will). I'm PS+ and he is not - but I would think he wouldn't see people in coop then either.
The story and free roam works like Journey which does not require PS+. PS+ is required for competitive and co-op.

My son did some mission that said it required PS+ but then let him do it anyway. I dunno...

In any case, I can definitely confirm that if you had simply preordered a PS4 at Amazon (even if you cancelled it later) you got a code. I just remembered that we also preordered one on my wife's account when they first opened up preorders during E3 a year ago. We cancelled that one too and I just checked her email and sure enough she also had a code.

Here you go: 5MQT-MANN-4QKH

Whoever claims it please post so others know it is taken.

I thought PS+ could be shared on the same PS4? My son played this and it worked fine and there were others playing. I have PS+, but not his account.

The thing that I love about the alpha so far ... I keep thinking I have explored the whole map but keep finding new buildings, caves, areas, etc. granted most of them are actually too high level to actually do anything but it still neat.

Finally found the area where the E3 gameplay video from last year took place. Was sad though that it was totally empty with nothing around.

Remote play on the vita is nice. Took me a little bit to figure out that r2 and l2 are on the touch screen corners and track pad press is bottom center touch screen. Really didn't think it would be implemented with the alpha but it's a nice surprise.

I really like what I'm seeing up to lvl 5. It kinda feels like a normal FPS then you see another player fighting the same thing you were and help them. And the MMO fan in me starts getting excited. I may buy this now. Is it going to have a subscription?

I really like what I'm seeing up to lvl 5. It kinda feels like a normal FPS then you see another player fighting the same thing you were and help them. And the MMO fan in me starts getting excited. I may buy this now. Is it going to have a subscription?
Nope. I mean online at for the PS4 required PS+ but otherwise you can just buy the game...

Yeah this was totally not on my radar but then I snagged a code and it's pretty awesome. Probably pre-ordering.

Any one else getting connection issues ? Haven't had any problems since the start but have now been disconnected 4 times in the last 20 minutes.

Odd, I got a PS4 at launch from Amazon (preordered) and I didnt get an Alpha code from them.  Got one from the sign-ups earlier this week though.  

So I think I have seen and done everything on this game now (beat the strike on Normal-Legend)  and got all of the bounties done with my Warlock. This game is going to be insane when it is released if it is anywhere near the same after the alpha. Hoping (doubtful though) we can keep our character from Alpha to Beta 

Warlock
Defense: 135
Primary :95
Secondary 95
Heavy: 130 

Not feeling the PVP part (never really liked control and  you get shit for points for holding a point) but Story and the Strikes are phenomenal. 

Just finished the Strike - man that took forever. The tank and the eyeball thing just took a beating. Combined me and the other 2 guys died like 40 times (I was in the middle of deaths and kills, so it wasn't all my fault ;)).

Is that all there is? Granted, that's a pretty nice amount for an Alpha and it all ran great. But I just want to be sure I've seen everything. So I did a bunch of random missions and public events on Earth, and I did the strike. I'm not going to bother with the crucible (PvP I assume) part.

I also noticed that just now in the Tower there are no other players. I thought it had something to do with my son not having PS+ but just like him earlier today I had people in the coop parts, but no one in the Tower. When I was in the Tower last night it was full of people.

Yeah, my son liked the game but he stopped playing after Saturday afternoon because he said what's the point. Even if they let you keep your character, he wants it on the Xbox One so he didn't want to put any more time into it on PS4.

Good lord, Peter Dinklage is terrible in this. His voice puts me to sleep, the English announcer in PVP is just as bad too. Other then that, I really loved what I played so far. I played the strike mission with some randoms and that tank thing kicked our ass pretty good but we managed to beat it after several tries. The eyeball was easier IMO. PVP is also pretty fun. I like how your guns and gear carry over, 6v6 is a letdown though.

My friends and I were farming Strike on Legend for a bit. :)  It doesn't take that much longer than Brave as long as your geared properly. Average seems to be around 28-32mins give or take on our runs. Wish I could use the blue rares I've gotten.  :p

Is that all there is? Granted, that's a pretty nice amount for an Alpha and it all ran great. But I just want to be sure I've seen everything. So I did a bunch of random missions and public events on Earth, and I did the strike. I'm not going to bother with the crucible (PvP I assume) part.

I also noticed that just now in the Tower there are no other players. I thought it had something to do with my son not having PS+ but just like him earlier today I had people in the coop parts, but no one in the Tower. When I was in the Tower last night it was full of people.
Yeah, you have the story mission, the explorable area, the strike mission and the crucible which only has control.

As for the Tower. Sometimes when you go there it will be empty. Seems like more of a bug than anything since you didn't get into a populated instance and nobody ever seems to join your instance. It's random and I've had it happen a lot to me. Same with being in the explorable area, which makes public events very hard to beat when you're by yourself or just with a friend depending on which event you get.

Did anyone else preorder from Amazon and not receive a BETA token? My friend preordered yesterday and got a token to redeem at bungie.net immediately. Yet I preordered months ago and got nothing but an alpha code. Even cancelled and re-did the order 3 times. No email.

I really think the respawn rate is too high, but it's not getting in the way of my fun. I think they need to highlight ammo drops better, I can barely see them sometimes.

Did anyone else preorder from Amazon and not receive a BETA token? My friend preordered yesterday and got a token to redeem at bungie.net immediately. Yet I preordered months ago and got nothing but an alpha code. Even cancelled and re-did the order 3 times. No email.
Just pre-ordered on Amazon and got my Beta key seconds after I preordered. Send me a PM if you want it I only ordered to give since I already have one myself.

Played through the story mission and strike on Legend to finish up my time with the alpha.

I had a blast with it and can't wait for the beta and full game. This will eat up a ton of my gaming time this fall.

Beta key for anyone who still needs it, please reply so we know it's taken.

TKJ-GFR-DK3

Go to www.bungie.net to redeem.
Code was already taken when I tried it just to let everyone know its gone.

Is Amazon the only one giving the BETA access when preordering? I plan on getting this through BB due to the GCU discount but do not see any mention on their site of BETA access with the preorder.

Edit: Ah never mind ... its hidden down in the description that it does indeed come with it. Has anyone preordered from Best Buy and already received the code ?

I got a chance to play the beta Friday night and it was awesome. I chose Warlock for my playthrough. The warlock's magic abilities made for gameplay more akin to borderlands than halo which was fine by me. I had a blast with it. Wish I had had more time to play this weekend but such is life.

All and all, Bungie still has it! September cannot come soon enough. 

This was tweeted last night by Bungie.

There's a rumor that the #Destiny Alpha might be extended to allow dangerous experiments. Play beyond the official close at your own risk!

This was tweeted last night by Bungie.

There's a rumor that the #Destiny Alpha might be extended to allow dangerous experiments. Play beyond the official close at your own risk!
Thx, if it's still up by the time I get home from work I'll certainly play it some more. If not, the July beta is not that far away.

kill3r7 said:
I got a chance to play the beta Friday night and it was awesome. I chose Warlock for my playthrough. The warlock's magic abilities made for gameplay more akin to borderlands than halo which was fine by me. I had a blast with it. Wish I had had more time to play this weekend but such is life.
I played as a Titan (the basic shooter class) and it still felt very Borderlands-like to me. It is definitely Halo x Borderlands.

TimboSliceGB said:
so far im not feeling this game i don't know what it is i will hope beta they open it up more maybe then i will enjoy it more.
I haven't been following the game too closely. Are there more planets to go to in the final game, or is it all about fallen Earth? It would be nice if it was mixed up a bit more. My only complaint about Borderlands is the environments/game scenarios start to get boring after a while. And Halo bores me to tears with its generic sci-fi setting.

Edit: in that exclusive Playstation content link it does mention a Strike mission on Mars - so there's at least one other place. I would be thrilled if a game ever had realistic surfaces of various real planets. Lets also have missions on Titan, Europa, Io, Triton, etc, with the terrain based on the latest NASA probe data!

Also, I'm now regretting that I'm letting my son dictate that we get the X1 version. All that extra content for PS4 makes me want to get it on that. I may end up having to get both versions...

What do they mean by the size of Halo Reach? It seems like an odd choice of words as Halo Reach is not a traditional open world game. Halo is a linear game with an open level design and cutscenes.
Each planet is said to have the total amount of explorable area as all of the levels of Reach combined.

Cool, Europa is on there. But they also have Venus? That should be interesting. It would be cool if they handled the gravity on these places differently as well (for Mars, the moon, and Europa, anyway). But I'm sure there will be backstory for some sort of gravity-standard boots or something that ensure you feel the same weight on each planet.

As for Venus, will be interesting to see how they handle the crushing atmospheric pressure and heat. It would be awesome to see the "fish-bowl" effect of the atmosphere, though that might make it hard to aim and stuff ;). Then again, the Venus levels could be all underground or in facilities and not surface missions.

They need to add Titan (moon of Saturn) as DLC perhaps. Titan has lakes of methane and ethane, and Earth-like weather but with hydrocarbon rain instead of water. That could make for some interesting environments and gameplay.

Edit: Ah, I see they are working with an "alternate" universe version of our solar system (from the Destiny Wiki):

During the Golden Age, Venus was considered a "paradise",[1] and the world was colonized by humanity. During this time, Venus was once home to a human scientific research settlement that is now in ruins, swallowed by jungle and falling into the Venutian ocean.[2][3]

Due to its sulfuric yellow sky and violent lightning storms,[2] the surface of Venus has been jokingly compared to that of Yellowstone National Park.[5]
So they've kind of taken the yellowish sulfuric color of Venus but otherwise it isn't the same place at all ;).

Oh well, I can still hold out hope for a realistic solar system setting for some future game. I mean, I think it would be cool to use the real Venus, not some made up one. The "tech" could account for being able to handle the pressure/heat and you could have some really bizarre monsters there (obviously some stuff would have to be made up - but it could be realistic at least in terms of the location).

bread's done
Back