Destiny (PS3/PS4) Official Thread

Went ahead and changed my preorder to the limited edition since I'd want the $35 expansion pass anyway.  Figure the extra stuff is worth $5 more.

EDIT: If you've signed up for the Beta with the pre-order beta code on Bungie's site, you will need to visit the bungie site to pick a beta platform. When keys are released on the 17th, they will be going out in waves to download the beta:

https://twitter.com/Bungie/status/487142813654450176/

(FAQ: http://www.bungie.net/7_The-Destiny-Beta/en/News/News?aid=11643)

----

For those not keeping somewhat up-to-date, it looks like Control will be the only PvP mode in the beta (Mentioned in the Rusted Lands video below between 0:55 to 1:05). Although it looks like we'll get four maps, two of which are confirmed (Venus - Shores of Time & Earth - Rusted Lands from Alpha). One seems likely it will be a Mars map and we'll likely have the Earth Moon map back from Alpha. Either way, IGN will be showing 2 more beta maps and then a non-beta map as part of their exclusive map tour videos.

Here's a map tour of the new Venus map:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaIZrHzZmS8

And they also did a tour of Rusted Lands for those note familiar with it from the alpha:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTmWS3V6g5Y

Interesting thing to note is that multiplayer maps will seemingly have different lightning variants, which the night version of Rusted Lands is shown above.

I haven't seem any confirmation on PvE parts yet, but everybody seems to be guessing it'll be some Earth, Mars and Venus. Also no word on the level range either. Here's a timeline of the Beta, including how to earn the beta emblem:

kdsgZzi.jpg

EDIT 2: Footage/Tour of another new crucible/control map that will be in the beta, Blind Watch on Mars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y50O1SMnPO8

Last edited by a moderator:
So, while waiting about to pre-order the Ghost Edition from Best Buy (before anyone asks, no, it's not posted yet), I ran across this on the BBY forums:

1. Warlock: YKA-RJG-MH9
  2. Hunter: 3DA-P4X-F6A
  3. Titan: MVD-4N3-NKH
  4. Rixis: TCN-HCD-TGY
  5. Old-Russia: HDX-ALM-V4K
  6. Hive: 473-MXR-3X9
  7. Moon: JMR-LFN-4A3
  8. Gjallorhorn: HC3-H44-DKC
  9. Duke MK.44: 69P-KRM-JJA
  10. The Tower: 69P-VCH-337
  11. The Hive: Ogre 69R-CKD-X7L
  12. Valley of the kings, Mars: 69R-DDD-FCP
  13. The Fallen: 69R-F99-AXG
  14. Red Death: 69R-VL7-J6A
  15. The Cabal: 69X-DJN-74V
  16. The Devastated Coast, Venus: 6A7-7NP-3X7
  17. Vex Minotaur: 6A9-DTG-YGN

Apparently they're from some cards that were handed out at an event?  Still redeemable on the Bungie.net website.  It's unknown what they'll unlock, exactly . . . but hey, it's worthwhile to just enter them and find out later!

EDIT:  Found better descriptions on Reddit.

2nd EDIT:  Even better source (http://desti-nation.org/article.php?id=144) with pictures of the cards.

Picked my beta platform and region already at Bungie's site. Looks like they will give out extra codes along with your own to give to friends on the 17th.  :)  

Thanks for the codes Fearia!

Also to back what Supplice said when you go to choose your platform it mentions it'll give you 3 codes so you'll have two extra ones.

Really dumb question, can I play this solo without ever playing multiplayer? Is it a single player base game with multiplayer added on for side mission type of things or is meant to be played with multiple people?

You can do the story and free roam mission stuff solo but have to be online. But you'll run into other players and come across public activities you can join in or not. No voice chat with people you run across unless you join a party (called fire team).

Strike missions are MP only. And there's a competitive PvP area too.

Thanks for that info, I've been rather confused by the whole thing and some people calling it an MMO type of experience. 

No problem all.  As an addition, Best Buy announced that for the US store, they will be making pre-orders available for the LE / Ghost Editions sometime on 7/11/14 according to the forums.  Get some!

Moon - First Light is the fourth confirmed crucible map in the beta. It will also have time of day variants like the other maps will, but it sounds like it's not as noticeable as the others unless you look at the earth which has various phases like the moon does from earth. It's also the only vehicle crucible map in the beta so far unless they decide to showcase more maps that will appear in the beta.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxVu43Kp0F0

So a quick recap is that there are four crucible beta maps confirmed so far:

Venus - Shores of Time

Earth - Rusted Lands (Map from alpha)

Mars - Blind Watch

Moon - First Light (Map from alpha & Vehicles)

Map tours of the other three can be found here in my previous post:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/331966-destiny-ps3ps4-official-thread/page-16#entry11909167

Another quick tidbit of information, you will get more than one beta key from Bungie when the keys go out. So besides yours, you can give out two more keys to other people. This means there should be more than enough extra keys to go around even if you didn't pre-order to get into the beta.

So a quick recap is that there are four crucible maps confirmed so far:
Venus - Shores of Time

Earth - Rusted Lands (Map from alpha)

Mars - Blind Watch

Moon - First Light (Map from alpha & Vehicles)
Quick Google tells me that crucible is the PvP game mode in Destiny. So these maps are the multiplayer maps... there had better be more than 4 multiplayer maps when the game releases.... (unless each of these four listed locations contains more than one "map"...?).

Thanks for that info, I've been rather confused by the whole thing and some people calling it an MMO type of experience.
No problem. It is an MMO for sure, they just aren't using that lingo due to stigma attached to the genre. And it's not as social since there's only party chat and no proximity chat.

I mean one could have fun playing it totally solo, but like Borderlands (and probably more so with the strike missions, public events etc.) its a lot better with friends and/or willingness to join up with randoms--at least for the chatless public events and strike missions (if you don't party up and just use matchmaking).

If you don't have a Beta code, just preorder on Amazon and cancel after getting the email with the code. Then you can give the Beta a go and try out the game for free.

Quick Google tells me that crucible is the PvP game mode in Destiny. So these maps are the multiplayer maps... there had better be more than 4 multiplayer maps when the game releases....
There are going to be more than four. I'm merely trying to showcase what's going to be in the beta. IGN is showcasing the game through July and based on what I know this includes five crucible maps, only one of which won't be in the beta. The rest we'll have to see once the game releases. Maybe I wasn't clear enough on that part.

Based on the Moon tour video, it is supposedly the largest crucible map in the game from what the developer said. Other than that, I don't know any other facts about it besides there only being Control available in the crucible during the beta.

The short version is, I'm just trying to showcase facts in the upcoming beta. Not release. I did add beta in the wording of that post to help make it more clear though.

There are going to be more than four. I'm merely trying to showcase what's going to be in the beta.
Ah, ok. Thanks for that! I'm on the fence whether I want to watch all these videos or not. On the one hand, it might get me familiar with the maps. On the other, I kinda want to experience it all brand new for the first time on my own... lol.

Apparently an image has been circulating around about the beta. It looks like it originates from a Gamestop employee in Australia that was sent to all store managers and was originally posted on Reddit.

Vwca9ws.jpg

So if this is true, then we basically have this available to us in the beta:

- 4 Story Chapters

- 1 Co-op Strike

- 1 Exploration Map

- 4 Crucible Maps (Control Gametype previously confirmed)

- Venus - Shores of Time

- Earth - Rusted Lands (Map from alpha)

- Mars - Blind Watch

- Moon - First Light (Map from alpha & has vehicles)

It also seems that if you digitally pre-ordered from the EU PSN Store, you can already download the beta. The size is roughly 14GB after the initial 170MB download directly from the store. No word on being able to preload it from other regions.

Basically the Alpha, but with three more story chapters and two extra PvP maps.  :p

Basically the Alpha, but with three more story chapters and two extra PvP maps. :p
Works for me. Was kind of hoping it wasn't a ton of content as I don't want to get burnt out on the game before release or have too much stuff to replay in the full version.

It says one co-op strike map. That's the raid right? Hopefully it's a different one from the alpha.
Strikes are different from Raids. Strikes are limited to three players while Raids require six players. Raids are also more challenging and longer than Strikes.

It says one co-op strike map. That's the raid right? Hopefully it's a different one from the alpha.
Raids are 6-player while strikes are 3-player. The only known raid currently is the Vault of Glass and the only information we have on it is that the team that Bungie hired to specifically test difficulty was unable to beat after throwing 16 hours at it.

--

Also, here's a screenshot of what looks to be other crucible gametypes we'll be able to select when the game releases:

YVCqMTI.png

As well as a list of known trophies/achievements (I did not see anything that would give story spoilers in the list other than maybe the 6th from the bottom, but it's pretty vague without context):

afcDU91.jpg

Strikes are different from Raids. Strikes are limited to three players while Raids require six players. Raids are also more challenging and longer than Strikes.
Ah. Thanks for the clarification.

Doubt I'll do many/any of those as I'm not big on playing with randoms and doubt I'll be able to get six friends on at the same time and similar levels etc.

Traded in BF4 today. Committing to Destiny now. How long does the beta last? I'm not going to have a shooter for the month of August, but at least I'll have Diablo 3 (soon).

There is going to be a Destiny Companion app for iOS/Android/Web, which will launch along side the beta.

Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/07/14/destinyas-companion-app-is-actually-useful-a-ign-first

When the Destiny beta launches, your experience in Bungie’s massive universe is also going to exist outside the confines of your television in the form of Destiny’s companion app. What’s even more surprising is that the iOS, Android, and web application is actually useful.

One of the focuses of the companion app is to highlight your character and progression throughout the game, and really celebrate the growth of your Guardian. The app features fully-realized 3D models of each one of your characters, which will change in real time as you equip them with new weapons and armor. What’s even more interesting is that the changes you make to your character in the app are instantly reflected on your character in the actual game itself.

Given the RPG nature of Destiny, the app is there to help you keep track of all of the statistics, progression, missions, and bounties of your characters. You can thumb through your inventory, check out which vendors are currently occupying the Tower, and explore Destiny’s lore through the Grimoire. Throughout Destiny, you’ll unlock cards that delve a bit deeper into characters, locations, and events from Bungie’s universe. The Grimoire is your gateway into fully unraveling Destiny’s world and story.

The free app is going to be available on iOS, Android, and web when the beta hits, and you’ll be able to use it the PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, and Xbox One versions of the game. One thing to note is that during the beta, the iOS version of the app will only be available on iPhones. By launch, players will be able to use a larger iPad version of the companion. Bungie says that a Windows Phone version is not planned.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJsIY7RrVuY

Sounds very useful in a number of ways.

I hope my beta download is done before the beta is over ha. They should have tried out the preloading with the beta too just to see how well that works... /whine

Will the character made in the Alpha Build be available to you again in the Beta?
No. You will start at level 1 on a new character, but don't know what the cap is yet. Don't expect Beta to carry over to release either.

The Beta begins tomorrow at 10AM PDT.

EDIT: The Destiny Companion App is now available:

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bungieinc.bungiemobile

iOS: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bungie-mobile/id441444902

Apparently it replaced the old Bungie App.

Is this downloaded using a launcher (like DCUO) or is the full package downloaded from PSN store?

I want to know if I need to free up 24+ gigs to install this haha. PS3 version.

Is this downloaded using a launcher (like DCUO) or is the full package downloaded from PSN store?

I want to know if I need to free up 24+ gigs to install this haha. PS3 version.
The Alpha was a full download, so I would expect the Beta to be the same. :whistle2:k

Does anyone have an extra beta code they can send me? I finally found my old Bungie.net account from 6 years ago and would like to use that moving forward.

Does anyone have an extra beta code they can send me? I finally found my old Bungie.net account from 6 years ago and would like to use that moving forward.
Beta code itself won't mean much. I'll have a spare beta download code come tomorrow when they give them out and I can throw one of the extras your way. Though I would think you would still get one if you attached to your non-old account if you gave it a valid email. Meh, not like I'm going to be using the code anyways.

Also, more information on the other Crucible game types (Only Control available in Beta) for those who are curious:

http://imgur.com/a/BKqju

EDIT: Did not realize that CAG embedded imgur galleries. Hiding it behind a spoiler just in case.

10 A.M.? Nice! I have a great connection with Fios, but the Alpha still took a long time to download. I suspect the Beta will take a while as well, especially since it's twice as large as the Alpha. But 10 A.M. is early enough to start it up and have it ready to go by the time I am actually able to sit down and play. Thanks for the news.

Oh, Megamania: PDT is Pacific Daylight Time.

Is there a way to queue the PS4 to download only during a certain time? I have a bandwidth cap here in Toronto so 14+ GB is quite a hit when I only get 300 a month.

bread's done
Back