* * * * - 31 votes

GameStick $17/$20 (in store/online) at Gamestop

#31 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   22578 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 05:04 AM

Oddly I think he deleted his comment about the controller.  I kinda cover the DS3 question in the video, you can use a DS3 controller with it hooked up with the supplied USB cable OR you can download an app through the Google App Store called Sixaxis Controller that will let you sync up the DS3 wirelessly. As far as I know the DS4 controller will work wired but not wirelessly, haven't tried it though.

This is what I wanted to know. The app says it supports both PS3 and PS4 controllers, and up to 4 controllers. I might give this a try then, would be great for some old school emulation. 

Too bad N64 emulation is so sketchy, otherwise it would be nice to play some MK64 multiplayer. PSX emulation seems to be fine... 

#32 LonelyBacteria  

LonelyBacteria

Posted 04 January 2015 - 05:06 AM

Nah, only Android.  Has a completely different hardware architecture from a pc.

ech.

Ouya is supposedly going to distribute their OS at some point apparently .____.

#33 MrshllJcb   Drinkin High Life CAGiversary!   4350 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 05:15 AM

ech.

download links are giving me 'trojan horse general' warnings.
Never too fond of links with no site to look at

This is concerning. May just use it in dev mode if the only issue is the pop up during movies as ill be using it for emulation.

#34 zebular   OG Gamer CAGiversary!   706 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 05:18 AM

ech.

download links are giving me 'trojan horse general' warnings.

Never too fond of links with no site to look at

False positive on the trojan horse general warnings, it's just because I used linkbucks to catch the clicks of the links.  Ouya is going to be releasing their store for all android devices, so yes, it will work on the gamestick.  Also, I used to have a link to it but you can actually run the Ouya front end over this already if you want.  The Ouya OS is nothing more than an app running over top jellybean

#35 zebular   OG Gamer CAGiversary!   706 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 05:20 AM

This is concerning. May just use it in dev mode if the only issue is the pop up during movies as ill be using it for emulation.

I assure you the links are safe, if you're that concerned about it here's a direct link to it from my dropbox.
https://dl.dropboxus...om Firmware.img

#36 zebular   OG Gamer CAGiversary!   706 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 05:22 AM

I've made a grand total of $.04 off the linkbucks links lol

#37 keyblader1985   Wait, what? CAGiversary!   3113 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

keyblader1985

Posted 04 January 2015 - 05:41 AM

I recall this being on sale for $20 in the past, and people were trashing it.

#38 LonelyBacteria  

LonelyBacteria

Posted 04 January 2015 - 05:47 AM

I assure you the links are safe

Thanks, Wish I knew about this earlier when I was by the one Gamestop in the area that has it <___<

I recall this being on sale for $20 in the past, and people were trashing it.

It's MSRP is $79.99 even still says that on the site.

Been $19.99 @ gamestop for a while now.

See OP

#39 GBKeroberos  

GBKeroberos

Posted 04 January 2015 - 06:02 AM

Thanks zebular, I almost bit last time this got posted but the bad reviews put me off.

Now that you can run stock Android I figure it's worth the gamble.

#40 plus1zero   The wall just got 10 feet higher CAGiversary!   6689 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 06:02 AM

Thanks for the controller clarification OP.

Why not. In for one.

#41 zebular   OG Gamer CAGiversary!   706 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 06:05 AM

Thanks zebular, I almost bit last time this got posted but the bad reviews put me off.

Now that you can run stock Android I figure it's worth the gamble.

Yeah, with the stock firmware this thing is a hot mess.  Very capable after the custom firmware.

#42 Sludgepond   The Trigger CAGiversary!   197 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

Sludgepond

Posted 04 January 2015 - 06:14 AM

Hmm $20 for a compact emulation "stick". Ok I'll bite.

#43 pun123   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3142 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 06:17 AM

Decided to grab one with extra controller, wanted the dock for $4 but all gone, seems interesting enough.  Will this run steam?

#44 keyblader1985   Wait, what? CAGiversary!   3113 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

keyblader1985

Posted 04 January 2015 - 06:19 AM

Oh, I see; I guess running standard Android makes all the difference.

I have some Gamestop credit; I might go out tomorrow and grab one.

#45 etcrane   A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee CAGiversary!   4999 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 06:21 AM

Seems like these are getting hard to find, are they still actually supporting the product or is it dead in the water? Actually isn't Ouya pretty much dead too!

#46 zebular   OG Gamer CAGiversary!   706 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 06:25 AM

Seems like these are getting hard to find, are they still actually supporting the product or is it dead in the water? Actually isn't Ouya pretty much dead too!

Well before I posted this the dock was still available... All of my GameStops still have them in stock and the Stick itself is still available online.  Honestly, you all should probably jump on this as soon as possible... Remember what happened to Cubic Ninja?  Yeah, GameStop jumped the prices up when they saw a demand.

#47 Carlanga   Fishing for deals CAGiversary!   1616 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 07:08 AM

Thanks TS! In the last sale there was only one and was already 'sold' to someone else even though it had a hold for me.

Reserved the machine and the cradle

#48 HyperG   GamersVlog.com CAGiversary!   2900 Posts   Joined 6.7 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 07:29 AM

Well before I posted this the dock was still available... All of my GameStops still have them in stock and the Stick itself is still available online.  Honestly, you all should probably jump on this as soon as possible... Remember what happened to Cubic Ninja?  Yeah, GameStop jumped the prices up when they saw a demand.

Lucky for me I had 2 Cubic Ninja's from the Big Lots sale. No I did not flip the 2nd one. Thanks for the info on the gamestick, might get one, even though I have a brand new never been used ouya. Having XBMC on the go is nice. When XBMP was the first thing to be made on the original xbox, I was personally the first to see a proof of concept before it was ever made into what it was known today (I was known for creating "the usual place" in the xbox scene for homebrew, starts with a x). Just a demo from the xbox sdk running a WMV file. Good ol' days for me, been out of touch with homebrew since xbox 360 came out.

#49 Josh1billion   Josh x1,000,000,000 CAGiversary!   2116 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Josh1billion

Posted 04 January 2015 - 07:54 AM

In for one.  $23 should be well worth the convenience. :)

#50 jaide   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   312 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 07:57 AM

Apparently there are more CAG's in the area I'm currently in than I thought. The stick just disappeared from the 2 stores closest to me in LaMarque and League City. Guess that's where all the Target clearance games went.

#51 etcrane   A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee CAGiversary!   4999 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 08:04 AM

This does look cool, but I'm really on the fence ... it seems like even as an android platform, it will be pretty underpowered. Can't you do the same thing with an Ouya and have better emulator performance?

#52 zebular   OG Gamer CAGiversary!   706 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 08:04 AM

Apparently there are more CAG's in the area I'm currently in than I thought. The stick just disappeared from the 2 stores closest to me in LaMarque and League City. Guess that's where all the Target clearance games went.

As I posted earlier they will send units to those stores probably within the week.  I bought 1 that had been sitting at my local store for a year and then magically they got another in the following week.  However, since they are selling like wildfire as of tonight I think it would be best to spend the extra couple dollars and order it online before they jack up the prices.

#53 jaide   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   312 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 08:10 AM

As I posted earlier they will send units to those stores probably within the week.  I bought 1 that had been sitting at my local store for a year and then magically they got another in the following week.  However, since they are selling like wildfire as of tonight I think it would be best to spend the extra couple dollars and order it online before they jack up the prices.

I might just do that. I was just hoping to have one in hand tomorrow to play around with.

#54 zebular   OG Gamer CAGiversary!   706 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 08:12 AM

This does look cool, but I'm really on the fence ... it seems like even as an android platform, it will be pretty underpowered. Can't you do the same thing with an Ouya and have better emulator performance?

It's the price of a pizza man... lol.  Yes, you can do the same with an Ouya, if you go through my other videos you will see that I put Kitkat on an Ouya.  I will say however the wifi on the gamestick gets better reception.  However, you're lucky to find an Ouya for $70.

#55 zebular   OG Gamer CAGiversary!   706 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 08:17 AM

I might just do that. I was just hoping to have one in hand tomorrow to play around with.

I've been selling them like crazy locally... I mean seriously, I've gotten rid of my cable since installing TVADDONS in XBMC.  I have literally never had a problem finding a tv show or movie I was searching for with that add-on.  Hell, I watched Inspector Gadget on it last week.  It even has an add-on called sports devil that will stream all of your live sports.  TV shows are generally uploaded to the servers about 20mins after the show is aired and in HD no less.

#56 zebular   OG Gamer CAGiversary!   706 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 08:19 AM

I would be utterly shocked if ebay wasn't flooded with custom firmware GameSticks tomorrow for ridiculous prices.

#57 keyblader1985   Wait, what? CAGiversary!   3113 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

keyblader1985

Posted 04 January 2015 - 08:20 AM

The dock popped up in stock while I was browsing, but before I could finish checking out it was sold.

Does anybody know how long a store will hold an item for you? The store nearest me doesn't have any docks. A different store does, but I wouldn't be able to make it out there for until next Saturday.

#58 kube00   Keeping in Cheap since 2005 CAGiversary!   10641 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 08:25 AM

I would be utterly shocked if ebay wasn't flooded with custom firmware GameSticks tomorrow for ridiculous prices.

Here's one!

http://www.ebay.com/...=item4d2ac824cb

#59 LonelyBacteria  

LonelyBacteria

Posted 04 January 2015 - 08:46 AM

Anybody know if the case is for the whole controller?

http://www.gamestop....ick-case/110357

Does anybody know how long a store will hold an item for you?

I looked it up before and read that it was for that day only

#60 zebular   OG Gamer CAGiversary!   706 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 09:03 AM

Anybody know if the case is for the whole controller?

http://www.gamestop....ick-case/110357

I looked it up before and read that it was for that day only

I believe it's for the stick and controller.  The stick actually fits inside the controller, you have to slide it out of the controller when you first purchase it.