GameStick $17/$20 (in store/online) at Gamestop

Picked one up in store, thanks OP! I'll throw stock android on it and probably use it as an emu machine in my office.

My local gamestop has this, the case, and the dock. And suddenly I question if I should even bother with any of it when I have my laptop and an hdmi cable. Dammit cag, why u make me spend my money?

My local gamestop has this, the case, and the dock. And suddenly I question if I should even bother with any of it when I have my laptop and an hdmi cable. Dammit cag, why u make me spend my money?
That's my predicament still. It won't do anything a laptop with HDMI will do :(

Will the android games work with a controller? Like dead space, off of the play store?

Can this thing even run Dead Space mobile? Lol
Sadly I don't think either of those games support a controller. It all depends on if the app dev decided to add controller support, which, I have no clue why they don't for every app. Adding controller support to an app would probably be a fairly simple task but yet there are plenty that would make sense to have controller support that don't.

I know for a fact that GTA San Andreas supports a controller though.

http://youtu.be/_8ybW8blVo0

Last edited by a moderator:
I jumped on the band wagon and had to order one.  No store's near me had any in stock.  It was $24 shipped so not bad.

Now i gotta figure out what to do with it.  I'd really like to use it in my game room on my old CRT but it doesnt have HDMI hook ups.  Has anyone tried an HDMI to Composite converter with this?

Anyway, Good find OP.  I'm sure it will keep me busy for hours. 

I got one and a dock thst I just picked up. My controller and stick were previously open by somebody and one of the cords had a rubber band around it and not in bags like the rest. I fucking hate gamestop and this is the first thing I've bought from them in over 10 years.

I have a wireless keyboard and mouse but it's not working with the Android menu screen so I'm basically at a stand still right now with this thing because I have to borrow someones keyboard and mouse now. I might just take it back cause I'm so annoyed.

LOL. I actually started downloading it 5 mins. before I posted that. Way ahead of you.

Was the stick seeing the file on the card at all or during installation it was failing?
Yeah. On the stick, I followed the directions and went to the SD card and found the .img file and it failed during installation. I think it's a bad file. My card, again, has been formatted twice just prior to me copying the file onto the card. Ran a bunch of card checks on my laptop and everything checks out, so I doubt it's my card.

Yeah. On the stick, I followed the directions and went to the SD card and found the .img file and it failed during installation. I think it's a bad file. My card, again, has been formatted twice just prior to me copying the file onto the card. Ran a bunch of card checks on my laptop and everything checks out, so I doubt it's my card.
That's really odd, I've used like 3 different micro sd cards and haven't had any problems over 20 different units. Maybe snatch the one out of your phone and try it?

I just went to target and bought a GE cheap wired keyboard and it's not moving up or down either on the Android screen. What the hell am I doing wrong? My logitech wireless keyboard wouldn't work with it either even though it has a USB too

I just went to target and bought a GE cheap wired keyboard and it's not moving up or down either on the Android screen. What the hell am I doing wrong? My logitech wireless keyboard wouldn't work with it either even though it has a USB too
Did you have it plugged in before starting it up? You can't just plug it in while it's in recovery mode or it won't recognize the keyboard.

Did you have it plugged in before starting it up? You can't just plug it in while it's in recovery mode or it won't recognize the keyboard.
Yup I plugged both of them in before turning the power on and I get no response on either of them.

Any ideas?

I had to grab the stick from one store, then get a ride from my sister to another store for the dock. I'll have to wait until I get a keyboard before I can do anything else.

Very cool, was able to flash the one I got with OP's video. Only issue I had was that the reset button on my GameStick did not click like OP's... it was actually quite a PITA to do that part since I didn't know if it was pressed down or not. 

My only issue is that there doesn't seem to be a way to turn off the gamestick. Once it's on, it's on... even if you turn off your TV. The only way to shut it off is to unplug it. Might not seem like a huge issue but this thing gets hot and I don't exactly trust the cheap, Chinese build quality. 

Very cool, was able to flash the one I got with OP's video. Only issue I had was that the reset button on my GameStick did not click like OP's... it was actually quite a PITA to do that part since I didn't know if it was pressed down or not.

My only issue is that there doesn't seem to be a way to turn off the gamestick. Once it's on, it's on... even if you turn off your TV. The only way to shut it off is to unplug it. Might not seem like a huge issue but this thing gets hot and I don't exactly trust the cheap, Chinese build quality.
Your tv continues to supply power through it's usb port after it's turned off?

Did anyones controller come with any sort of plastic on it, like when you buy a new phone. Mine didn't have any, and there were a few marks on it and what looks like a fingerprint. The bag it was in had a second piece of tape on it. The cables were all sealed in their respective bags, but the controller looks used.

Did anyones controller come with any sort of plastic on it, like when you buy a new phone. Mine didn't have any, and there were a few marks on it and what looks like a fingerprint. The bag it was in had a second piece of tape on it. The cables were all sealed in their respective bags, but the controller looks used.
It's GameStop, they don't know the meaning of NEW.

Everything looked on the up and up on the inside (in bags, no scratches or smudges), but the stick seal on mine looked like it had been tampered with.

I picked up the GameStick and Dock. Gamestick rang up $16.97 dock was $4.97. Did anyone else get the dock? I don't understand how it works. You slide it open and literally drop the gamestick into it. Does the gamestick connect to the dock via Bluetooth to take advantage of the new ports on the dock?

I picked up the GameStick and Dock. Gamestick rang up $16.97 dock was $4.97. Did anyone else get the dock? I don't understand how it works. You slide it open and literally drop the gamestick into it. Does the gamestick connect to the dock via Bluetooth to take advantage of the new ports on the dock?
I never purchased a dock so I have no idea.

I'm an idiot. There is a small micro usb plug in the dock that conencts with the gamestick. If you get the dock be careful you can put the game stick in upside down like I did. If it isn't sliding easily STOP.

This POS won't connect to the internet during the initial start up. Do I need to mess with this and activate it, or can I just install the CFW basically right out of the box?

I regretfully backed this thing on Kickstarter, even released my game on it. I think we made something like $90? I'm not sure we ever even hit the payout threshold. Really don't have much positive to say about it, except that the folks running the operation at Playjam were quite nice.

This POS won't connect to the internet during the initial start up. Do I need to mess with this and activate it, or can I just install the CFW basically right out of the box?
Yeah don't even dick with their OS. Just follow the video.

I regretfully backed this thing on Kickstarter, even released my game on it. I think we made something like $90? I'm not sure we ever even hit the payout threshold. Really don't have much positive to say about it, except that the folks running the operation at Playjam were quite nice.
I'm assuming you published your game to the Google Play Store then right? I have no idea what the Play Store charges to upload your game for review to them or what their cut is...

I'm assuming you published your game to the Google Play Store then right? I have no idea what the Play Store charges to upload your game for review to them or what their cut is...
No, I haven't put my game on the general Google Play store yet. I've been holding out to get some more content finished. So far it is only out on Fire TV, Ouya, and GameStick - OUYA has by far been the best platform with just enough sales to justify the development time. In all fairness, I only spent a day doing the GameStick version so it was worth a gamble.

No, I haven't put my game on the general Google Play store yet. I've been holding out to get some more content finished. So far it is only out on Fire TV, Ouya, and GameStick - OUYA has by far been the best platform with just enough sales to justify the development time. In all fairness, I only spent a day doing the GameStick version so it was worth a gamble.
Supposedly you can install Ouya Everywhere on any android device, they just haven't publicly released it. I had it running inside of my Ouya running CM11 Kitkat.

Luckily with this you don't have to mess with an ADB shell, with the Ouya you do to install another firmware.  Trying to explain how to ADB commands with the android sdk isn't something I wanted to have to explain to people lol.

So I went and exchanged this game stick for a new one and the new one I got definitely wasn't open before but I'm having the same problems with not being able to use the keyboard. I'm about to just give up cause I don't know what else to do. Anyone else having issues with keyboards?

I might be SOL, but I picked one of these up and my reset button seems to be stuck.  Is it supposed to click downward (toward the open space)?  Bottom line is mine doesn't.  I don't think I'll be able to return it or exchange it either.

Just picked up the dock from a local GS after doing in-store pickup online. They were happy I came to get it, because apparently they had been getting bombarded with calls for it. Ordered the Gamestick online, so I'll have to wait before I can start messing with it.

Tried dev mode just for kicks and giggles. Some of the emulators from what hackinformer mentioned work well others are carp. Dev mode and the controller are frustrating. Got the play store installed but I may just end up flashing it with the cfw seems like it does all the work for ya....

Question if I use cfw is it easy to install the Amazon store? I have the plex app through there

bread's done
Back