GameStick $17/$20 (in store/online) at Gamestop

Okay, so I watched the video and have the basics down, but I have a few questions about specifics because of problems that I actually have.

1. I only have a laptop. Is there no way to do this without a USB keyboard?

2. My HDTV doesn't have a built in USB port. There was mention casually in the video of a work around for this, but I didn't understand exactly what was said even after rewatching it.

3. What is the benefit to the dock? I mean it's pretty cheap, so I might just pick it up anyway, but not exactly sure which games/apps support it, or which games that emulate well could use it. It just extends the USB devices I can plug in?

4. Any recommended sizes for the Micro-USB? I'll end up buying one to put some ROMs and probably movies on it if possible, and need to buy one of those SD card readers as well. Just wondering what a good size may be.

Picked up my "console" that I reserved online, but they couldn't find the dock they were supposed to have. Mine seemed factory sealed with everything sealed in baggies. Now I have to decide what to do with it since I have an iMac with wireless keyboard  and  mouse lol.

I did find a used mint copy of Metal Gear HD Collection on PS3 for $9.99 though.

Okay, so I watched the video and have the basics down, but I have a few questions about specifics because of problems that I actually have.

1. I only have a laptop. Is there no way to do this without a USB keyboard?

2. My HDTV doesn't have a built in USB port. There was mention casually in the video of a work around for this, but I didn't understand exactly what was said even after rewatching it.

3. What is the benefit to the dock? I mean it's pretty cheap, so I might just pick it up anyway, but not exactly sure which games/apps support it, or which games that emulate well could use it. It just extends the USB devices I can plug in?

4. Any recommended sizes for the Micro-USB? I'll end up buying one to put some ROMs and probably movies on it if possible, and need to buy one of those SD card readers as well. Just wondering what a good size may be.
1. You have to have a USB keyboard.

2.The game stick comes with a AC adapter to plug into the wall.

3.The dock gives two powered USB ports, normal sized SD card slot and ethernet.

4.Depends on how many ROMS you want. Classic 8bit and 16bit game ROMS are only a few KB o MB each, while PSX or PSP games can be several hundred MB each.

Does requesting a pick mean they charge me online or do they only charge me when I go pick it up? Also how long do they hold it? I want to pick it up this Friday when I get paid

I might be SOL, but I picked one of these up and my reset button seems to be stuck. Is it supposed to click downward (toward the open space)? Bottom line is mine doesn't. I don't think I'll be able to return it or exchange it either.
I had to use my small pocket knife to get it to click. It's a slider switch not a button to press.

Your tv continues to supply power through it's usb port after it's turned off?
No, I'm testing it out on an older TV which doesn't have a USB slot so it's plugged into the wall. I didn't really think about that, my new TV does have a USB slot I think so that should solve that problem.

I tried out some SNES games on this and it works pretty damn well. Didn't notice any issues and the games look great.

I tried MK64 and Smash Bros on it and those didn't run as well, even after some tweaking. MK64 actually run/looked fine, but would frequently stutter. Smash Bros ran well but the character models and levels will missing textures and/or would suffer from pop-ins.

But shit, for $18, this is pretty awesome. Thanks for selling me on the idea OP and thanks for the vid.:D

I might be SOL, but I picked one of these up and my reset button seems to be stuck. Is it supposed to click downward (toward the open space)? Bottom line is mine doesn't. I don't think I'll be able to return it or exchange it either.
I had to use my small pocket knife to get it to click. It's a slider switch not a button to press.

Does requesting a pick mean they charge me online or do they only charge me when I go pick it up? Also how long do they hold it? I want to pick it up this Friday when I get paid
You pay at the store and they hold it for 24 hours. That's what the email said when I requested a hold last night.

No, it just alerts the store to place a hold on the item. I don't know how long they hold it before, but I would guess only until the end of the day, or maybe 24 hours.

I'm using a Saitek Eclipse II most any USB keyboard should work though. Do you have another to test with?
I have a logitech USB wireless keyboard from ages ago that I normally use that wouldn't work and I just ran up to target and bought this and it won't work either.

http://www.target.com/p/ge-usb-powered-keyboard/-/A-13631679#prodSlot=medium_1_23&term=Keyboard

Both work with my PC. And I'm plugging them in before I turn the power ok to the game stick so I really have no clue as to what the problem is.

I have a logitech USB wireless keyboard from ages ago that I normally use that wouldn't work and I just ran up to target and bought this and it won't work either.

http://www.target.com/p/ge-usb-powered-keyboard/-/A-13631679#prodSlot=medium_1_23&term=Keyboard

Both work with my PC. And I'm plugging them in before I turn the power ok to the game stick so I really have no clue as to what the problem is.
Are you using USB from the TV or the AC adapter? If you're using the TV maybe your port doesn't provide enough power.

One reboot should do it. I had to click on the text in the bluetooth menu that said "not visible to any devices" when I clicked on it the gamestick started a 2 minute cycle of looking for devices to pair with.
I got it paired, thanks

Are you using USB from the TV or the AC adapter? If you're using the TV maybe your port doesn't provide enough power.
AC adapter, using the wire they provide that splits the power to the game stick and the other USB spot that's open I plugged the USB keyboard into

Last edited by a moderator:
Got the CFW working. How the hell do I sync the controller it came with
You need to use Bluetooth. You need to turn on the controller by pressing and holding the power button for 3 seconds.

Then, hit the BT pairing button on the back of the controller for a few seconds (you'll need a paper clip). You'll notice the blinking pattern on the lights will change, from a consistent blinking to 2 short bursts of blinks every few seconds.

Then hit the scan for devices in your BT settings on the gamestick. The controller should pop up in the BT settings after a few seconds.

Got the stick and the cradle today, thanks again TS!

I went to the computer store as well and they had a bunch of stuff on clearance and got a keyboard for $0.88 and a mouse for $0.99 wired MS branded! FTW

just sharin' :)

2jaynnc.jpg

If you press the numlock button on your keyboard does the numlock light turn on? This will tell you if you have sufficient power or not.
You're right, those lights aren't coming on the GE, I got it from target cause it was cheap and I figured it should work. If it's not powerful enough to run this cheap keyboard what do you think is my best option to get keyboard wise? Thanks for your help. I appreciate it cause this thing has been driving me nuts today.

Had some weird files trying to download on the mirror links, here is one in case you get frustrated with the speed (sorry, time is precious). Mirror link. (Edit: Download link was broke, fixed)

You're right, those lights aren't coming on the GE, I got it from target cause it was cheap and I figured it should work. If it's not powerful enough to run this cheap keyboard what do you think is my best option to get keyboard wise? Thanks for your help. I appreciate it cause this thing has been driving me nuts today.
The issue may be your Y cable, if the keyboard works on your desktop/laptop then it isn't the culprit.

The issue may be your Y cable, if the keyboard works on your desktop/laptop then it isn't the culprit.
The keyboards work on my desktop, this is my second Y cable though, when I returned the first game stick I returned all the contents. The game stick powers on just fine and I can charge and use the controller with the Y cable. Could I really have that great of luck to get 2 defective Y cables from 2 different stores? Lol

The keyboards work on my desktop, this is my second Y cable though, when I returned the first game stick I returned all the contents. The game stick powers on just fine and I can charge and use the controller with the Y cable. Could I really have that great of luck to get 2 defective Y cables from 2 different stores? Lol
Try using the AC adapter on the usb plug and plug it into your wall. The USB port on your tv may have only enough power to supply to the stick and not the keyboard as well.

The Gamestick and separate controller that I picked up have definitely been used before, but it works fine so I honestly don't care too much. Setting everything up now, but in the video it mentions in SPMC about an add-on called Genesis but I don't see it...am I missing something?

Also, I've seen pictures of the controllers in different colors, are those just custom or did they come with backing through Kickstarter?

The Gamestick and separate controller that I picked up have definitely been used before, but it works fine so I honestly don't care too much. Setting everything up now, but in the video it mentions in SPMC about an add-on called Genesis but I don't see it...am I missing something?

Also, I've seen pictures of the controllers in different colors, are those just custom or did they come with backing through Kickstarter?
I didn't specify how to do that due to not wanting the video taken down by the mpaa lol. Go here, but sadly it seems like it's down right now (possibly too much internet traffic) http://addons.tvaddons.ag/

Try using the AC adapter on the usb plug and plug it into your wall. The USB port on your tv may have only enough power to supply to the stick and not the keyboard as well.
Thats how I had it hooked up, I don't have a USB port on my TV.

Is anyone having any luck with emulators from the Google Play Store? I've tried ClassicBoy and it crashes when I load an NES game.
Get RetroArch, has a TON of emulators built into it and they are all the newest versions.

Thanks OP...I had a $10 rewards credit so grabbed one for $7.46. I'll flash it later tonight. Always wanted an android HDMI stick on the cheap.

Ehh, I'm all out of ideas then... Maybe try it on someone else's tv to set it up? Then sync your bluetooth devices so you don't need the USB port possibly?
I actually tried 3 TVs! Lol I'm at the point where this thing has kicked my ass and I'm giving up soon lol what model keyboard are you using?

Zebular, Again thx for the tutorial both here and on Youtube. BUT my only question is... Where do i find "Genesis"? i have the latest version of SPMC installed but cant find it under add-ons?

I can confirm that using a PS4 controller plugged into the OTG does not work for the initial setup. I guess it's time to go to Goodwill and buy a 99c keyboard and mouse.

bread's done
Back