GameStick $17/$20 (in store/online) at Gamestop

Also, I've seen pictures of the controllers in different colors, are those just custom or did they come with backing through Kickstarter?
I've never even heard of this thing until this afternoon but after google research it seems like the colored controllers were from Kickstarter backers. The controller I got from Gamestop was the same color as the usb stick. Thank god because that black & green controller looks hideous imo.

Already have an HTPC, but OP sold me on this haha. Can't beat $20. Really like the portability of the thing too.

May have been answered before, but will a 360 USB dongle work? OP, I saw you mentioned the wired controllers would work but I only have wireless. Would be sweet to get this thing rocking 4 controllers on emulators with the wireless dongle.

I also have to look into those XBMC plugins. Is there a link or description to what you're using? I've messed around with XBMC plugins a bit on my PC but none seemed to work very well. Getting movies and shows in HD would be amazing.

Thanks for all the contributions in this thread!

Last edited by a moderator:
Every time I turn the stick on, I need to go into the Bluetooth menu and select the Gamestick controller. If I don't do that, the controller just blinks and doesn't pair. Is that normal?

Should I bother allowing the Gamestick to update to the latest firmware before I install the cfw? The update seems insanely slow

So this is a rookie question but anyone know where I could find the tvaddon file for spmc?

Thanks OP! I got the flash updated but I can't turn on my wifi. Anyone else having this issue

So I went and exchanged this game stick for a new one and the new one I got definitely wasn't open before but I'm having the same problems with not being able to use the keyboard. I'm about to just give up cause I don't know what else to do. Anyone else having issues with keyboards?

Wow, good find, OP!  The stock in my local area is generally botched (a couple stores have their inventory wrong online), so I had to order the controller + stick combo online.  There's one store with just the controller which I will probably buy in person to save on shipping and handling.  I also put the last dock in my area on hold at another local GameStop (hopefully they actually have it in stock).

Looking forward to having fun with tweaking it once it arrives!

We are FINALLY rolling! Turns out it WAS a bad SD card. That's what I get for trusting my computer. -____-

I'm borrowing an SD card to install it, but I'm gonna pick up a new microSD card at Best Buy tomorrow.

Has anyone set up Retroarch with the Gamestick controller yet? I can get to menus but for some reason I can't figure out how to configure the controller to work in-game.

Got one and was able to add CFW and emulators. Question is how to add ROMS and can ROMS from coinops work on other emulators? Thanks

Ok i already have the retron 5 and all the original systems and never really done modding before so is there really any good reason for me to get this? cant decide to pull the trigger on this or not lol

So I picked up the stick I had on hold in Galveston a few hours ago, and the stick obviously isn't new even though there's a sticker that says it is. Sucks I didn't notice before leaving the store. Whoever used it was pretty gross because the sticks are yellow. I'm definitely going to another store tomorrow to exchange it. I'll definitely be inspecting the box before I leave. I also managed to get a dock and a case from another store.

While I wait on my GameStick to be delivered, can anyone comment on the feel of the buttons and controls?  How is the responsiveness?

No, I haven't put my game on the general Google Play store yet. I've been holding out to get some more content finished. So far it is only out on Fire TV, Ouya, and GameStick - OUYA has by far been the best platform with just enough sales to justify the development time. In all fairness, I only spent a day doing the GameStick version so it was worth a gamble.
I may have to get it for Fire Tv

Picked one up. Had to put the CFW on twice to get it stable. Kept restarting randomly. Weird. Seems to be good right now. Working on upgrading SPMC to V14 and adding Genesis. After that will be Retroarch and some other emulators. Was looking at building a Raspberry Pi box, but for the price, I figured, why not try it?

I got it up and running super quick, didn't boot the gamestick software just went to work. All is working well. Is there any way to do a proper shut down of the device from within android or just pull the power?

Just want for xbmc . Will it be worth it and how difficult to add xbmc. Saw your video breakdown seems okay for task at hand

Picked up the console and the dock, at first the employees didn't know what I was talking about when I asked for it but after looking around they found it. They had the case too but I don't really see a need for it, for those that bought all 3 does the dock fit inside the case?

Got things up and running, couple thoughts -

The dock is great, and in my opinion, a must have - it actually incorporates the stick into the dock and adds an extra usb port. The device works great with my logitech wireless keyboard with trackpad, as well as my wired 360 controller.

- Performance on apps is mixed ... some of the emulators run great, others not so hot.

- The unit seems to run hot ... hopefully it doesn't burn down my house ... but the dock includes a fan, maybe that helps?

Now that we have a base of CAGs using these things, what do you guys think about starting a list of Must Have downloads for the device? Since these aren't exactly Android powerhouse units, it seems like we could get a list of everything that works really well specifically on the gamestick ... maybe get a discussion post going somewhere outside the deals board?

Any reason to get one of these if I already have a Raspberry Pi model B?  I've got 15k in PUR points so it would only be around $2 so I'm tempted to pick one up.

Got things up and running, couple thoughts -

The dock is great, and in my opinion, a must have - it actually incorporates the stick into the dock and adds an extra usb port. The device works great with my logitech wireless keyboard with trackpad, as well as my wired 360 controller.

- Performance on apps is mixed ... some of the emulators run great, others not so hot.

- The unit seems to run hot ... hopefully it doesn't burn down my house ... but the dock includes a fan, maybe that helps?

Now that we have a base of CAGs using these things, what do you guys think about starting a list of Must Have downloads for the device? Since these aren't exactly Android powerhouse units, it seems like we could get a list of everything that works really well specifically on the gamestick ... maybe get a discussion post going somewhere outside the deals board?
They all run fairly warm, I would say not to worry about it. I have 2 running pretty much at any given time. It's only getting 5 volts of power to it... If you're running it off of your tv's usb port it should shut off with the tv. It's no more dangerous than putting your cell phone through it's paces running high end games when it starts to get hot.

In fact, I'm looking into messing with the kernel to actually overclock one to see just how much I can push it.

Sweet!  Thanks OP!  I just set up a hold for the stick+controller and dock.  My area comes up as silly with stock, but my luck, no store thats really close has both in stock.  Ah well, pick up one in Chesapeake, then drive out to Virginia Beach to get the dock.  Been wanting an Android stick and saw this a few months ago but no way am I paying 80 bucks.

Quick question tho.  Would a USB to Genesis adapter work when plugged into the dock?  I ask because games that use the 6 button controller, I hate having odd remaps for them on button layouts like on the controller

Sweet! Thanks OP! I just set up a hold for the stick+controller and dock. My area comes up as silly with stock, but my luck, no store thats really close has both in stock. Ah well, pick up one in Chesapeake, then drive out to Virginia Beach to get the dock. Been wanting an Android stick and saw this a few months ago but no way am I paying 80 bucks.

Quick question tho. Would a USB to Genesis adapter work when plugged into the dock? I ask because games that use the 6 button controller, I hate having odd remaps for them on button layouts like on the controller
I wouldn't see why not...

I can confirm playing sega-cd games through retroarch flawlessly. Did an entire play through of Snatcher.

Cheapassgamer expert! I very new to emulator. I only wanted to play snes and n64 games (I don't have money at that times) I have game stick on hold and ready to pickup tomorrow.

What I do next to play snes and snes?
Where I find all the snes and n64 games?

Thanks you all. Eshop charge you arms & legs for older games but still not all the games I want is available.

Cheapassgamer expert! I very new to emulator. I only wanted to play snes and n64 games (I don't have money at that times) I have game stick on hold and ready to pickup tomorrow.

Thanks you all. Eshop charge you arms & legs for older games but still not all the games I want is available.
The snes games I've tried run great ... the n64 games, not so much. The best thing I've seen run n64 games outside of a PC are some of the emulators on newer jailbroken iPads. Not sure why, but seems like n64 needs a bit more power to emulate effectively. SNES9X is a great place to start ... you could also use Retroarch but I ran into some issues that I didn't see with SNES9X

It's going to cost you hundreds to dump your own SNES / N64 games, not sure if you should get the gamestick then... also costs a lot for the google knowledge out there. :roll:

Do these support Nerflix, Hulu, and Teitxh apps?
I bought one, but my question as well- Amazon Video?

I think the reason the Ouya collects dust for me is it doesn't have the major video apps. Sadly these microconsole manus underestimated the need for those apps to get us to think about their appliances.

Why? I need a reason to keep the controller batteries fresh. If they are fresh, I'll be more likely to pick up the device and check out the app store, when not watching video.

bread's done
Back