GameStick $17/$20 (in store/online) at Gamestop

Apparently there are more CAG's in the area I'm currently in than I thought. The stick just disappeared from the 2 stores closest to me in LaMarque and League City. Guess that's where all the Target clearance games went.

This does look cool, but I'm really on the fence ... it seems like even as an android platform, it will be pretty underpowered. Can't you do the same thing with an Ouya and have better emulator performance?

Apparently there are more CAG's in the area I'm currently in than I thought. The stick just disappeared from the 2 stores closest to me in LaMarque and League City. Guess that's where all the Target clearance games went.
As I posted earlier they will send units to those stores probably within the week. I bought 1 that had been sitting at my local store for a year and then magically they got another in the following week. However, since they are selling like wildfire as of tonight I think it would be best to spend the extra couple dollars and order it online before they jack up the prices.

As I posted earlier they will send units to those stores probably within the week. I bought 1 that had been sitting at my local store for a year and then magically they got another in the following week. However, since they are selling like wildfire as of tonight I think it would be best to spend the extra couple dollars and order it online before they jack up the prices.
I might just do that. I was just hoping to have one in hand tomorrow to play around with.

This does look cool, but I'm really on the fence ... it seems like even as an android platform, it will be pretty underpowered. Can't you do the same thing with an Ouya and have better emulator performance?
It's the price of a pizza man... lol. Yes, you can do the same with an Ouya, if you go through my other videos you will see that I put Kitkat on an Ouya. I will say however the wifi on the gamestick gets better reception. However, you're lucky to find an Ouya for $70.

Last edited by a moderator:
I might just do that. I was just hoping to have one in hand tomorrow to play around with.
I've been selling them like crazy locally... I mean seriously, I've gotten rid of my cable since installing TVADDONS in XBMC. I have literally never had a problem finding a tv show or movie I was searching for with that add-on. Hell, I watched Inspector Gadget on it last week. It even has an add-on called sports devil that will stream all of your live sports. TV shows are generally uploaded to the servers about 20mins after the show is aired and in HD no less.

I would be utterly shocked if ebay wasn't flooded with custom firmware GameSticks tomorrow for ridiculous prices.

The dock popped up in stock while I was browsing, but before I could finish checking out it was sold.

Does anybody know how long a store will hold an item for you? The store nearest me doesn't have any docks. A different store does, but I wouldn't be able to make it out there for until next Saturday.

I believe it's for the stick and controller. The stick actually fits inside the controller, you have to slide it out of the controller when you first purchase it.
It'd be really dumb if they made a case for a system with it's entire point being the portability of fitting into the controller

But it'd be dumber if I bought it

I would assume production has completely ended on all of the GameStick products.  I can't imagine them being able to actually produce all of that for under $20.

Hmm, as a completionist, I kind of want to buy the case ... but it requires driving 22 miles round trip for something that costs $4.

Is it worth selling my Ouya for this? Like, does it REALLY work plug and play? This seems like a quicker and cheaper alternative.

Is it worth selling my Ouya for this? Like, does it REALLY work plug and play? This seems like a quicker and cheaper alternative.
I would say if you get a wireless 360 controller with the wireless dongle you won't be using your Ouya much... GameStick has less power but it does 90% of what my Ouya does. The Ouya I was able to play Dreamcast games on at decent speeds, I highly doubt they would be anywhere near playable on the GameStick. I have 3 GameSticks and 4 Ouyas so I can't really tell you if it's worth getting rid of lol.

I never would have bought this, but after reading this thread I put a hold on one at my local GameStop. I probably won't use it all that much, but $20 is a good price to tinker with it.

This thing will play mkv, yes? That's all I need. And the emulators are a bonus.

Picked up the dock for now since the store I went to didn't have the gamestick+controller. Did store pickup in case but still might head to store before it opens in a few to make sure (or are they good about setting things aside on sale, seems YMMV). If I miss the gamestick+controller, will hold on to it in case someone is looking for one, but I'm just going to be confident that I get it. lol. Edit : Just got my confirmation 15 minutes prior to opening, so let's hope this is good. My old manager from Rhino video games works at this store, so bit skeptical. Got accused of modding xboxes at work, which was false.

You can use bluetooth devices on it, like the PS3 controller etc. So even if someone doesn't like the controller, they can use one they enjoy.
Oh ok, that's cool. Thanks.

I'm thinking of picking one up to play some old school emulators.

Two questions before I go pick this up, do you really recommend the dock? And what are the emulators you guys find the best to use on here? Thanks in advance.

I honestly don't care to play Android games or other emulated/retro games; would there be any other reason to get one of these?

I do NOT have an Android or other smartphone but I haven't needed one, I only use my phone to call; so if there's something else Android's really good for at home maybe it'd be worth it but I don't know what else would make it worth it.

I honestly don't care to play Android games or other emulated/retro games; would there be any other reason to get one of these?

I do NOT have an Android or other smartphone but I haven't needed one, I only use my phone to call; so if there's something else Android's really good for at home maybe it'd be worth it but I don't know what else would make it worth it.
Pretty sure you could use it for Netflix, Hulu, etc. Other alternatives for that are more expensive.

Probably a stupid question... but I don't have any hdmi ports left on my tv. Any idea if I can use this on an iMac? I assume not because Android vs iOS.

Edit: I ended up doing an in-store hold for the system & dock. Hopefully I can figure out how to make it work with my computer. Thanks OP.

I mite pick me up one,I need something for media for downstairs tv, just hope it would be simple enough for the gf to use

Edit: wonder if it would be possible to put the remote play ps4 apk on this and have it fully functional....hmmmm....

Edit again: any android launcher that is "tv ready", meaning the UI of it is made to be used on a tv?

Did a hold for instore pickup for this and the dock. Never done any CFW on home devices so this seems like a decent way to start.

ya boy mario bought one a few months ago. it feels cheap and poorly made.

so i put it back in the box, and in a closet. next to my ouya, jxds7800b, and other crap ive bought over the years.

even with these mods......itll stay there.

good for anyone that has money to blow, and wants something to tinker with i suppose

I plug it into the extra HDMI port on my monitor and my USB KVM keyboard and mouse switch. I use it as a quick way to check e-mail without having to boot my Windows PC. I have it in developer mode and use a OTG style cable (if i remember correctly one is included) to hook it up to a wired mouse and keyboard.

Basically it can be used as a mini android based PC.

Did a hold for instore pickup for this and the dock. Never done any CFW on home devices so this seems like a decent way to start.
Only device I been taking the time to try to update carefully is an old linksys wireless router (to tomato firmware or whatever is better). Just having a hard time deciding, as they put so many warnings out there that you can "brick" the device. Need to do something soon, so these malware port scanners can stop probing my laptop for potential security holes. As far as this gamestick goes, hoping it is easy.

Looks like yr dropbox link has had too much traffic and been temporarily disabled
Yeah, that means 20gb of the same file has been downloaded... didn't realize it would generate this much traffic lol. Gonna throw up some new links.

bread's done
Back