* * * * * 78 votes

Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

PC Steam Origin Uplay DRM-Free

#94981 madjoki   Hey, y no wen free!? CAGiversary!   5253 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

Posted 12 December 2017 - 04:35 PM

dTtRDQ6.png

#94982 lakers714  

Posted 12 December 2017 - 04:36 PM

I really love the world the game has, the detail, etc.  Its truly one of the most amazing (though scary as Fuck I hope this never happens in the real world) world's every created in gaming.

TLDR: Loot and a lack of true PVP was the big issues in my mind...  1.4 fixed allot and each patch since has, frankly, built upon that new base.

The latest (and last) Global Event launched this morning...  28K players in the game this morning.  The recent totals have been about 4k-5K so the game is still beloved by some and I see allot of threads on Division websites of people coming back every day.  Its really quite amazing. 

I truly hope we see a season 3...  Paid or free (like season 2 was) I don't really care. 

I just hope they actually bring expansions to the game and not bring out games modes as expansions 

#94983 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   10563 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted 12 December 2017 - 04:36 PM

Also, Two Broke Girls is cancelled

Ah well.  We'll always have TBS syndication.

#94984 rcsample   You're entering a world of pain! CAGiversary!   4250 Posts   Joined 5.0 Years Ago  

Posted 12 December 2017 - 04:39 PM

Which isn't to say that it shouldn't end.

I don't actually care about TWD one way or the other though. I watched Season one (or most of it?) and got bored. I'm a little surprised that it's still chugging along but then we have six seasons and counting of Two Broke Girls so who am I to guess what shows stick around?

Well (non-anthology) shows can be Plot-driven or character-driven or some combination thereof. I would say at this point TWD is less about the zombie plague as it is about the human characters.

The main issue with TWD is that when you have original characters lost to the zombies or whomever, you lose people that provided a contrast to Rick. If you don't start ramping up new characters you start to lose the diversity that made the original group interesting.

I love me some Jeffrey Dean Morgan, so I'm a fan of Negan. While some people may hate me for saying this is I think TWD could use some LOST style "pre-zombie' flashbacks... I think Negan's would be interesting.

The farther into the show we get the characters seem to lack depth, imo. I just don't really connect with many characters anymore. I think it's telling when I'm more interested in Negan strutting his stuff than any of Rick's party. But anyway, Negan has to go, they are really drawing this Saviors shit out. I don't follow the comic, but I am curious as to who will kill Negan.

I'll keep watching, but I think I have 1 more season unless they re-engage me.

#94985 Larry Davis   It's All Smooth Sailing From Here On Out CAGiversary!   2649 Posts   Joined 3.6 Years Ago  

Larry Davis

Posted 12 December 2017 - 04:48 PM

Well (non-anthology) shows can be Plot-driven or character-driven or some combination thereof. I would say at this point TWD is less about the zombie plague as it is about the human characters.

The main issue with TWD is that when you have original characters lost to the zombies or whomever, you lose people that provided a contrast to Rick. If you don't start ramping up new characters you start to lose the diversity that made the original group interesting.

I love me some Jeffrey Dean Morgan, so I'm a fan of Negan. While some people may hate me for saying this is I think TWD could use some LOST style "pre-zombie' flashbacks... I think Negan's would be interesting.

The farther into the show we get the characters seem to lack depth, imo. I just don't really connect with many characters anymore. I think it's telling when I'm more interested in Negan strutting his stuff than any of Rick's party. But anyway, Negan has to go, they are really drawing this Saviors shit out. I don't follow the comic, but I am curious as to who will kill Negan.

I'll keep watching, but I think I have 1 more season unless they re-engage me.

Tagged as spoiler but the show seems to do its own thing when convenient so I don't think this is what will happen:

Spoiler

And isn't pre-zombie flashbacks what Fear the Walking Dead is?

#94986 The End   America's Sweetheart CAGiversary!   6161 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 12 December 2017 - 04:54 PM

Spoiler

Were you able to grab any of them? Fellow CAG whitereflection posted about that over in the GOG thread. But when he added them to the cart, they were no longer free.

#94987 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   10563 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted 12 December 2017 - 04:56 PM

Has anyone been following this Ataribox business? I find it weird that no information on available games, pricing or specs is available. Is it just like a Steambox with some old Atari games preloaded? If that's the case, I can understand why they wouldn't want to dole out details, because that's just goofy. I'd rather buy an old Flashback device for when I get super-nostalgic about playing Pong, Centipede, and Space Invaders. 

I sometimes feel as though I'm the only person who is like "I played games when I was nine and they were fun at the time and maybe some game play elements still hold up but now there's a trillion great games I could be playing that have expanded on those older games in every possible way."  I mean, I played Project Firestart on the Commodore way back when and it was awesome (at the time) and helped create a new genre of game.  But I'd really rather play Prey today.  And, if you showed me Prey when I was a sixteen year old playing Project Firestart, I probably would have soiled myself.  I wasted summers on Utopia but why would I play that now instead of Civilization or Tropico or Cities: Skylines or some other building/managing game?  I did replay my favorite SSI Gold Box, Curse of the Azure Bonds, earlier this year but I haven't since had the itch to replay another and if CAB had taken me more than three evenings I would have probably given up on it. 

I have wonderful memories of games on the Atari, Intellivision, Colecovision, old DOS games, Commodore, Genesis, etc but the idea of playing them again more than once instead of my backlog of high quality modern games is alien to me.  I'm sure I'm really part of a majority in this and not some special unicorn but I keep seeing people flip out over these retro systems and it feels like people clamoring to get a new cassette player or 8-track machine because that's what they had when they were ten years old.

#94988 madjoki   Hey, y no wen free!? CAGiversary!   5253 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

Posted 12 December 2017 - 05:09 PM

Pinball FX3 - Carnivals And Legends free until 19th

#94989 madjoki   Hey, y no wen free!? CAGiversary!   5253 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

Posted 12 December 2017 - 05:15 PM

Were you able to grab any of them? Fellow CAG whitereflection posted about that over in the GOG thread. But when he added them to the cart, they were no longer free.

nah :(

#94990 smackattack   Seriously? CAGiversary!   1222 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

smackattack

Posted 12 December 2017 - 05:51 PM

I can understand bailing. I think after the first 3-4 seasons it's really lost momentum. Should have went from 16 episodes down to 8-10 episodes and tighten up the whole show.

Also, I don't believe they have any end game in mind, they just want to keep milking the cash cow. Which I suppose is what makes sense from a business perspective.

Looking for a good sci-fi/fantasy show to watch, anyone have any suggestions before my post is removed for being off topic?

On topic: there is a 15% off sale somewhere on a Steam game.

The Expanse.   Got a nice Dead Space vibe with some nice attention to detail plausible Sci Fi elements.

#94991 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   3918 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

Posted 12 December 2017 - 05:53 PM

I sometimes feel as though I'm the only person who is like "I played games when I was nine and they were fun at the time and maybe some game play elements still hold up but now there's a trillion great games I could be playing that have expanded on those older games in every possible way." I mean, I played Project Firestart on the Commodore way back when and it was awesome (at the time) and helped create a new genre of game. But I'd really rather play Prey today. And, if you showed me Prey when I was a sixteen year old playing Project Firestart, I probably would have soiled myself. I wasted summers on Utopia but why would I play that now instead of Civilization or Tropico or Cities: Skylines or some other building/managing game? I did replay my favorite SSI Gold Box, Curse of the Azure Bonds, earlier this year but I haven't since had the itch to replay another and if CAB had taken me more than three evenings I would have probably given up on it.

I have wonderful memories of games on the Atari, Intellivision, Colecovision, old DOS games, Commodore, Genesis, etc but the idea of playing them again more than once instead of my backlog of high quality modern games is alien to me. I'm sure I'm really part of a majority in this and not some special unicorn but I keep seeing people flip out over these retro systems and it feels like people clamoring to get a new cassette player or 8-track machine because that's what they had when they were ten years old.

I agree that a lot of "classics" are more interesting in how they've contributed to the evolution of gaming than for their intrinsic quality, but that doesn't mean that some old games aren't inherently worth playing. Just like there's still valid interest in backgammon or Don Quixote, there are several early video games that still "hold up," regardless of nostalgia value.

#94992 INMATEofARKHAM   Looking for my padded cell CAGiversary!   5220 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

INMATEofARKHAM

Posted 12 December 2017 - 05:58 PM

I haven't really read any of The Walking Dead but I can honestly say I really enjoy it... That said I don't watch it like most people likely do. I wait till a part of the season is over (usually its 8 or so episodes) and then I watch them all fairly quickly. (So I don't really have any cases of weekly disappointment bumming me out.

#94993 sasquatc4   CAG in Limbo CAGiversary!   1608 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

Posted 12 December 2017 - 06:03 PM

what I learned from this season of the walking dead is that I can play 90% of it in the background as noise, only pay attention to the last episode, and still not miss anything

#94994 Zipomatic2   Really, Really Cheap CAGiversary!   481 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 12 December 2017 - 06:04 PM

House Party 69% off *fnarr*fnarr*

https://www.fanatica...ame/house-party

#94995 warreni   Eminently punchable CAGiversary!   5251 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

Posted 12 December 2017 - 06:07 PM

I agree that a lot of "classics" are more interesting in how they've contributed to the evolution of gaming than for their intrinsic quality, but that doesn't mean that some old games aren't inherently worth playing. Just like there's still valid interest in backgammon or Don Quixote, there are several early video games that still "hold up," regardless of nostalgia value.

I agree. I don't think I'd pay whatever they're trying to sell these things for--it sounds like a borderline scam at this point--but I'd be tempted to pick up a Flashback 2 and I'd probably goof around with Pong or River Raid for a little while. It's definitely a nostalgia thing, because I like the idea of fiddling with those ridiculous joysticks. I wouldn't pour tens or hundreds of hours a month into it, but I like the idea for the same reason I have an Amiga and a C64 emulator. Sadly it would probably get more use than my Steam Link, which appears destined to be relegated to closet storage by year's end. 

Age of Wonders III seems to be gone from GOG connect now.  Better get moving if you want to get those GOG +1's!

Baldur's Gate II didn't show up when I loaded it either. Bummer; I wanted to add it and Torment from my Steam account. 

#94996 Tomasety   LatinLover CAGiversary!   2106 Posts   Joined 4.5 Years Ago  

Tomasety

Posted 12 December 2017 - 06:16 PM

Ark's new Aberration expansion has an enemy which can impregnate you

Ark: Aberration costs $20 standalone or comes free as part of the game's £35 Season Pass.

eww.... Let's milk while it's hot!!!

#94997 rcsample   You're entering a world of pain! CAGiversary!   4250 Posts   Joined 5.0 Years Ago  

Posted 12 December 2017 - 06:23 PM

Ark's new Aberration expansion has an enemy which can impregnate you

eww.... Let's milk while it's hot!!!

Do I then give birth to Loot Boxes?

#94998 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   10563 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted 12 December 2017 - 06:44 PM

I don't think comparisons to older literature, movies, etc really hold up because of how integral the technical game play is to the overall experience.  I also think that there's depth of catalog considerations: how many books from the 1600s are we still reading?  If not for the works of Shakespeare, the answer would be "Almost none" and it's still basically none when compared against how many were written and published.  We have four decades of black and white Hollywood movies but few (relative to the total output) are still regarded as classics and the ones that are embraced the medium in exceptional ways. 

I'd even agree that many older games are "worth playing" in a vacuum but we live in a world of options and it's a hard sell to say some game from 1988 is more worth my time than more modern alternatives.  I'm sure there's some out there -- games basic enough that there isn't any meaningful improving on what they offer -- but they're rare exceptions.  Qix would be one.  Paradroid another.  Tetris yet another.  Do you need a link to Tetris?

It's a little amusing that Warreni mentions River Raid since I once bought some disc of old Activision games for the Playstation.  River Raid was easily the best and most well remembered game in the collection and it still lost my interest within an hour.  My younger son has some "throwback" style machine with Pac-Man, Pole Position and other games on it and none of them are anything I want to play more than once a sitting (and one sitting a month would be plenty).  In most things, I'm a very traditional old school person but, when it comes to games, I'm all "Show me something new".

No value judgement though.  I don't think anyone is wrong for wanting to play old stuff.  I understand, on a theoretical level, the argument for "these games are still good and I want to own and play them".  I just can't feel it which in turn feels odd when you see other people with the same basic interest (video games) all going ape about it.

Edit: It also occurs to me that I was never really into Bullet Hell style games or even platformers although I played a lot of each since they made up a lot of the games in the 80s.  So maybe that's a big part of it and I'd appreciate these systems more if I was more nostalgic about those genres.  The exploration, adventure, management style games I really liked benefited more from modern technical advancements than "quickly avoid all the pixels" style games.

#94999 weretable   fire in the disco, fire in the taco bell CAGiversary!   600 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

weretable

Posted 12 December 2017 - 06:55 PM

Oh we are talking about classics?  

#95000 DD83   'nives 'n 'nades CAGiversary!   8284 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Posted 12 December 2017 - 08:05 PM

Looking for a good sci-fi/fantasy show to watch, anyone have any suggestions before my post is removed for being off topic?

I recently watched Dark on Netflix.  It's German but has English dubs.  It has some sci-fi aspects in it.

#95001 Nothing371   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   6995 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

Posted 12 December 2017 - 08:16 PM

Here is the sci-fi fantasy show I hope to be watching next week:

http://www.blu-ray.c...Blu-ray/193522/

12/19, need a sale prz!  Interstellar the best movie of the decade imho. 

#95002 Pengy99  

Posted 12 December 2017 - 09:53 PM

Feels wrong to have a Nolan collection without Memento.

#95003 Larry Davis   It's All Smooth Sailing From Here On Out CAGiversary!   2649 Posts   Joined 3.6 Years Ago  

Larry Davis

Posted 12 December 2017 - 09:58 PM

Feels wrong to have a Nolan collection without Memento.

Yeah, it's weird they didn't include his best movie.

The standalone BRs have been out of print for a long time, and it's only been available in a collection with the Batmen, Insomnia, and Inception. I'll prob end up getting this 4K set when it gets cheap enough, but I'm not a fan of spending money on TDKR.

#95004 KaboomEmpire   Sporadic At Best CAGiversary!   370 Posts   Joined 3.5 Years Ago  

KaboomEmpire

Posted 13 December 2017 - 02:14 AM

That makes it an insta-buy!

#95005 INMATEofARKHAM   Looking for my padded cell CAGiversary!   5220 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

INMATEofARKHAM

Posted 13 December 2017 - 07:04 AM

Wait? So you all still do physical media for your movies/TV shows?

#95006 BMXJouster   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1269 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 07:34 AM

I still buy physical for movies/TV shows, especially if they come with a download code for a digital copy.  Hell, I just ordered the entire series of Deadwood from Best Buy today:

https://www.bestbuy....p?skuId=2715015

I've heard nothing but good things and at $30 it was too good to pass up.

#95007 INMATEofARKHAM   Looking for my padded cell CAGiversary!   5220 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

INMATEofARKHAM

Posted 13 December 2017 - 08:12 AM

Deadwood is great! (At least season one is, I haven't started season 2, 3 yet.) It did end too quickly HBO surprised cancelled it cause the sets were expensive... There is hope (and some traction) on a movie.

Also, I hope you like the word cocksucker cause you be hearing it allot.

(Obviously, not safe for work.)

#95008 warreni   Eminently punchable CAGiversary!   5251 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:48 AM

For those keeping score, Hellboy is now in Injustice 2 PC.

#95009 Pengy99  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:58 AM

I am migrating more and more to digital but 1080p and 4k streaming is still not as good as the quality of a good 1080p or 4k disc.

#95010 warreni   Eminently punchable CAGiversary!   5251 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 11:04 AM

I am migrating more and more to digital but 1080p and 4k streaming is still not as good as the quality of a good 1080p or 4k disc.

I'm in the same boat. I'm moving to digital only or digital add-on, but my internet is not fast enough to support a quality 4K stream. Because I'm getting an XBONE this Christmas, I'll probably switch from buying 4-5 Blu-rays a year to buying 4-5 4K Blu-rays a year, especially because the price difference is usually on the order of $2-5.