* * * * * 78 votes

Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

PC Steam Origin Uplay DRM-Free

#102601 Blade   Imminently Punchable CAGiversary!   14105 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 02:24 PM

Also, since those guys been through the game w/ a few char's already - they always wanted to skip the damn cut-scenes. So, yeah - I was kind of losing out on some of the game's so-called character stuff, story & plot too.

I played through both GW games with very little understanding of what was happening because my friends skipped every cutscene. I replayed them all solo just for that purpose. Same thing with FFXIV and a few others games.

#102602 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8844 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 02:34 PM

I played both Borderlands 1 and 2 solo and some co-op.

Honestly the games are OK enough solo (I think 2 might have been better here....the balance was somewhat off in one I believe). I mainly co-op slower and always try to read the story/watch cut scenes in order to experience it for the better. It is way better co-op, but the story is not that strong anyway, so if you skip some here and there, you'll get the basic jist anyway. 

#102603 FoxAssGamer   Better Than You CAGiversary!   20391 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 02:40 PM

Sometimes this place feels like a time capsule of 10 years ago.  

#102604 Mooby   Herp Derp CAGiversary!   10253 Posts   Joined 7.9 Years Ago  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 02:40 PM

The problem is even a few levels of difference (mostly in weapon quality) can vastly skew the co-op experience in the Borderlands series. So, unless you have some dedicated friend(s) who won't play until you play then keeping within a couple of levels of each other isn't really possible. Gearbox recognized this weakness by adding raid bosses to Borderlands 2 - suggesting the real coop shouldn't take place until max level when there is no danger of one player outleveling the other.

#102605 Blade   Imminently Punchable CAGiversary!   14105 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 02:51 PM

Maybe the time you spend here would be better suited getting carried in co-op while you eat shit loudly and snort coke off your mic. There's nothing wrong with using forums, and there's nothing wrong with playing easy games solo for the story.

#102606 madjoki   Hey, y no wen free!? CAGiversary!   5280 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 03:07 PM

So soon we can talk about Gamersgate glitches again!

#102607 warreni   Eminently punchable CAGiversary!   5318 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 03:17 PM

Maybe the time you spend here would be better suited getting carried in co-op while you eat shit loudly and snort coke off your mic. There's nothing wrong with using forums, and there's nothing wrong with playing easy games solo for the story.

Who eats and snorts coke at the same time?!

Besides, I thought we were all injecting crystal meth into our eyeballs now. Right? Right?! RIGHT?!?!?!

#102608 Insomniac_34   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   663 Posts   Joined 6.7 Years Ago  

Insomniac_34

Posted 10 August 2018 - 03:55 PM

Nah, we talk about recent games a lot around here. As a matter of fact, I just spent some time playing Prey yesterday and really enjoyed it. Lots of interesting ideas like spirit walking and portals, although I thought they could've done a little more with the Native American mythology. Still, much better game than Doom 3 IMO.

#102609 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   10665 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted 10 August 2018 - 04:15 PM

zGold Bros Alert - Monster Hunter for $40

Load Monster Hunter, Fly O'Clock, Normality and Chompy Chomp Chomp.  Total is $50 which pushes you into the 20% discount and the whole cart comes out to a clean $40 in zGold.  The other games are Steam keys so farm cards, give 'em away on Steamgifts, backlog Monster Hunter to play Fly O'Clock, whatever.

Credit to Cheaplikeafox for coming up with the idea so I could waste office time mix & matching bundle games to hit the magic $50 mark.

#102610 Master Miguel   Tired CAGiversary!   1227 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

Master Miguel

Posted 10 August 2018 - 05:20 PM

Yeah, those games can be really fun w/ other players.

Problem is the usual mess w/ other leveled players, when doing these games. Are all the players on or near the same level? Can you guys sometimes not play together and when you do still be playing enough that when you join back up together, you're still on the same level?

That is the main reason I playthrough it solo, so I can see the cutscenes read quest text and stuff like that. Playing coop we usually skip by those things and no one likes playing with different levels so we make characters that we only use for coop, if someone wants to play a bunch extra they can just do it on a different solo guy.

It's not hard to pull off as long as you play with people of like mind.

#102611 sainrub   CAGisdabomb! CAGiversary!   1447 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 05:26 PM

QuakeCon 2018 Keynote (Doom Eternal @ 1:09:09)

#102612 DD83   'nives 'n 'nades CAGiversary!   8392 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 06:49 PM

You guys try Zork?

It's crazy!

#102613 weretable   you are a vicious snowflake CAGiversary!   648 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

weretable

Posted 10 August 2018 - 07:06 PM

Is Zork anything like that Pong thing they have in the big wooden cabinet down at the Pizza place?

#102614 rcsample   You're entering a world of pain! CAGiversary!   4308 Posts   Joined 5.3 Years Ago  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 07:28 PM

You guys try Zork?

It's crazy!

>Yeah, its great, especially that part whe...

rcsample was eaten by a grue

#102615 Waggles   What the funk n waggle you talkin' bout? CAGiversary!   4205 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 07:52 PM

Bemines are one of the best values in game bundles again?!

#102616 pasports31   New Year's Resolution = Make a Dent in my Backlog CAGiversary!   8419 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 08:43 PM

Yeah, I'm with all of those guys, too, because I pretty much play everything solo, but I will concede that Borderlands is kind-of crap as a solo game. It's not balanced properly for it.

Eh, I played 1/2/TPS solo and enjoyed doing so

#102617 JCAll   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1927 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:12 PM

That's how long it takes me to get to games in my backlog.

I save a lot of money on graphics cards that way.

#102618 Nothing371   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   7328 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:18 PM

I played most of all Borderlands solo.  The times I grouped up with 1-2 of my buddies we were different levels and it wasn't much of a cooperative experience.   It was only great if you had a static party, only played those characters when together, and were all the same level. 

#102619 hostyl1   Rejoice commoners! CAGiversary!   2801 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 11:18 PM

Question bros.: I'm old, is there an old fart discord primer floating around the net?

#102620 sasquatc4   CAG in Limbo CAGiversary!   1635 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 11:41 PM

Question bros.: I'm old, is there an old fart discord primer floating around the net?

Its irc, but with voice

#102621 DD83   'nives 'n 'nades CAGiversary!   8392 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 11 August 2018 - 12:01 AM

Its irc, but with voice

and a bunch of other crap that is irritating.

#102622 eulogywerd21   Jesus wept CAGiversary!   3234 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

eulogywerd21

Posted 11 August 2018 - 12:06 AM

zGold Bros Alert - Monster Hunter for $40

Load Monster Hunter, Fly O'Clock, Normality and Chompy Chomp Chomp.  Total is $50 which pushes you into the 20% discount and the whole cart comes out to a clean $40 in zGold.  The other games are Steam keys so farm cards, give 'em away on Steamgifts, backlog Monster Hunter to play Fly O'Clock, whatever.

Credit to Cheaplikeafox for coming up with the idea so I could waste office time mix & matching bundle games to hit the magic $50 mark.

I remember why I got annoyed and cancelled my last GG order: manual review. At least now, I've got a game I already had and didn't play on PS4, that I can not play on PC, too.

#102623 DD83   'nives 'n 'nades CAGiversary!   8392 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 11 August 2018 - 12:29 AM

I "beat" Strikey Sisters.

It's worth the $0.40 if you like block breaking games.

I don't know how the coop works cause

Spoiler

I wished it was more like Wizorb though.  Like buying stuff, using magic more than once, mouse support, etc.

I skipped the story because it seemed silly.

#102624 pasports31   New Year's Resolution = Make a Dent in my Backlog CAGiversary!   8419 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

Posted 11 August 2018 - 12:43 AM

Very small midgame review on Prey 2017:

I bought the game a few weeks ago when it was 8 bucks or whatever on GMG, definitely a good deal. If you like the new Deus Ex games (or the old ones...or System Shock) I think you'll like Prey, it has a pretty similar philosophy in terms of being able to approach the game in a variety of ways. The game starts kind of slow, and the combat is very difficult until you get access to Psi mods (which operate pretty similarly to plasmids in Bioshock), I've started loading neuromods (the things you use to upgrade yourself) into Psi abilities recently and while the damage enemies do is still unforgiving, the game has gotten a lot easier as a result. Prey might be my favorite game I've played this year, depending how the rest of the game unfolds. I definitely recommend it, but if you're hoping for some shooter you'll probably be pretty disappointed. 

#102625 MysterD   37 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   23903 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 11 August 2018 - 12:58 AM

Nah, we talk about recent games a lot around here. As a matter of fact, I just spent some time playing Prey yesterday and really enjoyed it. Lots of interesting ideas like spirit walking and portals, although I thought they could've done a little more with the Native American mythology. Still, much better game than Doom 3 IMO.

Prey Classic was really good.

Yeah, Prey Classic is much better than Doom 3. The opening for Prey is outstanding, for starters. Prey Classic has a lot of cool, interesting, and awesome stuff going on - such as the portal and spirit-walking. Also, the way it makes you feel like an alien in their space-ship and their world, especially w/ their cool weapons and whatnot - was awesome.

Doom 3 is quite good, but it is actually not a good Doom game. It's nowhere as fast, furious, quick, and intense on the action as all of the Classic Doom games (Doom 1 & 2 and Final Doom) and Doom 2016. Doom 3 (base-game) felt much more deliberate, slower-paced, and survival-horror style - but man, when that game came out, was it drop-dead gorgeous technically & really set the mood w/ its excellent lighting.

EDIT:

Very small midgame review on Prey 2017:

I bought the game a few weeks ago when it was 8 bucks or whatever on GMG, definitely a good deal. If you like the new Deus Ex games (or the old ones...or System Shock) I think you'll like Prey, it has a pretty similar philosophy in terms of being able to approach the game in a variety of ways. The game starts kind of slow, and the combat is very difficult until you get access to Psi mods (which operate pretty similarly to plasmids in Bioshock), I've started loading neuromods (the things you use to upgrade yourself) into Psi abilities recently and while the damage enemies do is still unforgiving, the game has gotten a lot easier as a result. Prey might be my favorite game I've played this year, depending how the rest of the game unfolds. I definitely recommend it, but if you're hoping for some shooter you'll probably be pretty disappointed. 

Prey 2017 is definitely an "immersive sim" like that of the Looking Glass (i.e. go see System Shock 2) and Ion Storm ilk (i.e. Deus Ex). Arkane's also really good w/ the "immersive sim" style of RPG/first-person shooter hybrid. Arkane has proven this time and time again - Arx Fatalis, all of the Dishonored series, and now Prey 2017. Arkane's just awesome at world-building & environment-building, making you feel like you're actually there in that world, land, and interacting in.

#102626 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯   Just some guy CAGiversary!   1327 Posts   Joined 4.6 Years Ago  

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Posted 11 August 2018 - 01:58 AM

:D/  

#102627 warreni   Eminently punchable CAGiversary!   5318 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Posted 11 August 2018 - 02:40 AM

Here's what bugs me about Yakuza 0: I play videogames to escape from reality and play out a fantasy of things I can't do in real life; if I wanted to suck at singing and dancing, I don't need any help with that.

Eh, I played 1/2/TPS solo and enjoyed doing so

Yeah, well, I'm old and I suck (see above).

#102628 MysterD   37 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   23903 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 11 August 2018 - 12:39 PM

CreepyPreciousAzurevase-size_restricted.

#102629 eulogywerd21   Jesus wept CAGiversary!   3234 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

eulogywerd21

Posted 11 August 2018 - 04:16 PM

Ugh...

IERWL-NBZHV-RZTF5

GM980-56WI9-4QBXW

#102630 Foxhack   Bad Hombre CAGiversary!   8742 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Posted 11 August 2018 - 06:10 PM

Silly question for the console peeps: Has anyone bought PSN credit from Direct2Drive? Can you buy a $10 gift card multiple times or just once? Anyone know?