* * * * * 81 votes

Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

PC Steam Origin Uplay DRM-Free

#104491 geekstop711  

geekstop711

Posted 05 November 2018 - 07:28 PM

I just wish there was an awesome new MMORPG that I could play. It feels like vanilla WoW, Everquest, SWTOR, FF11, that type of magic is never going to be recaptured again.

Same here. I want a game like that again where I say "one more quest" at 9 pm and by the time I'm done it's 3 am. It was an extremely rewarding experience.

Something just felt good about those games.

#104492 elessar123  

Posted 05 November 2018 - 07:40 PM

Yea, those days aren't coming back. Fighting Tiamat in FFXI for like 6 hours straight was not worth it.

#104493 Mooby   Herp Derp CAGiversary!   10504 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

Posted 05 November 2018 - 07:43 PM

MMORPGS are passe. I played WoW consistently in 2004-2008 because digital download was still in its relative infancy. After that there was a bit of a golden age of quality indie titles (mostly due to Steam) that offered more entertainment value. Of course now we've fast forwarded into a glut of trash titles on Steam and F2P/microtransaction fiestas.

#104494 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   7900 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

Posted 05 November 2018 - 07:43 PM

SWTOR was honestly the most fun I have ever had, but that got cut short when my WoW raiding buddies quit that too.  FF14 is very good, but it just doesn't quite have that staying power.  The problem is that all these new-age games seem to be either too casual-friendly, or else azn grindfests + loot treadmill. 

#104495 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   7900 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

Posted 05 November 2018 - 08:12 PM

MMORPGS are passe.

Traditional, monthly-sub MMOs are not being developed any longer only because idiot kids are willing to pay for microtransactions and low quality, low-effort content. 

#104496 Blade   Imminently Punchable CAGiversary!   14380 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 05 November 2018 - 08:15 PM

SWTOR was honestly the most fun I have ever had, but that got cut short when my WoW raiding buddies quit that too.  FF14 is very good, but it just doesn't quite have that staying power.  The problem is that all these new-age games seem to be either too casual-friendly, or else azn grindfests + loot treadmill. 

Not really leaving yourself much room there. Casual-friendly sounds like something that isn't even a bad thing, since streamlining processes is much easier than hand-crafting every item like you do in FF14. Unless you mean something other than what I'm thinking. And grinding is all people do in any MMO-style game to prevent themselves from appearing casual.

I play GW2 and enjoy it. It's a free game with two $30 expansions. You can jump and do other casual-based stuff, like roam solo and craft things you discover automatically. It has raids, dungeons, and fractals, which are like dungeons that increase in difficulty as you go higher. There's a good amount of end-game content. PVP and WVW are post-endgame when you're good enough to play against other people, and while the community is pretty cancerous you can usually find some decent people to play with. The main story + Living World S2 + Heart of Thorns + Living World S3 + Path of Fire + Living World S4 will run you at least 400 hours. It looks much better than WoW and is updated frequently. The only thing you wouldn't get to play story-wise is Living World S1, and I'd honestly buy it just to play it.

No furry nonsense, no bondage armor, and very few bikinis though, if that's something you do in RPGs.

Also, there are still monthly subs. SWTOR and FFXIV are both being worked on still. Having the option to pay a microtransaction fee for some shitty Mooby skin to support the devs isn't the same as paying just to play the game.

#104497 aspyrbash   Pub Rep Publisher Representitive   53 Posts   Joined 0.4 Years Ago  

aspyrbash

Posted 05 November 2018 - 08:27 PM

Trying to trick me!  And it almost worked...

In other news the humble monthly reveals and blizzcon were both incredibly underwhelming today.  I'm pretty sure the wow mob that takes to reddit and anywhere they can be heard so they can complain about each and every decision blizzard makes will never be satisfied, but that mobile diablo reveal...yikes.

We'll have some pretty good deals tomorrow. Feel free to guess them ^^

#104498 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   7900 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

Posted 05 November 2018 - 08:33 PM

*snip*

GW2 was a really good game.  I played it way back when it released and really enjoyed my time leveling up in it.  Vistas were cool, the world PvP was interesting.  But it all petered out for me when I couldn't really find players to run dungeons with at the level cap.  I remember that basically no one talked in town and there was virtually no social interaction in-game.  Nor were there any matchmaking systems for the PvE content.

#104499 Blade   Imminently Punchable CAGiversary!   14380 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 05 November 2018 - 08:59 PM

GW2 was a really good game.  I played it way back when it released and really enjoyed my time leveling up in it.  Vistas were cool, the world PvP was interesting.  But it all petered out for me when I couldn't really find players to run dungeons with at the level cap.  I remember that basically no one talked in town and there was virtually no social interaction in-game.  Nor were there any matchmaking systems for the PvE content.

You should check it out again. They added the LFG system, people are always shitposting in some map, and fractals and raids are both much better than dungeons. Arah is still very hard because everyone rushes through it.

The level cap is 80 for F2P people, but there are 278 Masteries for people who bought the expansions. Heart of Thorns gave us gliding, updrafts, ley lines, invisible enemies, the ability to talk to the frog race and exalted, and tunnels to warp through within the level. LS3 gave us fighting abilities for gliding. Path of Fire gives us mounts: a raptor based on speed with a tail swipe attack to group enemies, a rabbit with the ability to jump very high and do lots of CC damage, a skimmer which looks like a manta ray that floats over water and heals, a jackal that can warp short distances, and a griffon that can fly. Then there's a roller beetle that moves faster than the raptor. Not sure if they will add more. LS4 isn't over with yet.

There's still another dragon to fight after this one ends early next year, so we'll get at least one more expac and another LS to go along with it. It will probably be about Norns.

#104500 AdmiralGialHackbar  

AdmiralGialHackbar

Posted 05 November 2018 - 09:03 PM

We'll have some pretty good deals tomorrow. Feel free to guess them ^^

star wars games 99% off?

#104501 warreni   Eminently punchable CAGiversary!   5445 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Posted 05 November 2018 - 09:37 PM

star wars games 99% off?

Yes, that one will be to coincide with the 99th anniversary of Star Wars (in 2076). 

#104502 Evilv6   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   143 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 05 November 2018 - 09:54 PM

Wotlk>TBC>MOP>Legion>Cataclysm>pineapple pizza>>>>WOD

I haven't played BFA so I can't comment on that, but from what I'm reading here it's shit and I shall believe in you nerds.

#104503 DickDurden   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1071 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 05 November 2018 - 10:01 PM

Perhaps this has already been posted but this is a pretty dang good remake of P.T. and it still scares the living shit out of me:

https://arturlaczkow.../playableteaser

#104504 MysterD   38 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   24381 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 05 November 2018 - 10:51 PM

Yes, that one will be to coincide with the 99th anniversary of Star Wars (in 2076). 

It's a trap!

#104505 BossKey_Fox   Better Than You CAGiversary!   20724 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 05 November 2018 - 10:58 PM

Thanks, bud. I had avoided uploading them, but that was the key. I was able to upload them and then download them from the site. I appreciate your assistance. I don't know when my PS3 will crap out, tomorrow or 10 years from now, but I wanted to make sure I had these saved. I certainly can't make any more of them now. 

As long as he's wearing clothes, that's all that matters. 

Glad to see you found a way!  You've probably done so, but if you haven't, make sure to record any voicemails you might want to save.  A lot of the carriers will delete after so long or require you to confirm you want to save them every 3 months. 

#104506 warreni   Eminently punchable CAGiversary!   5445 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Posted 06 November 2018 - 01:02 AM

Glad to see you found a way!  You've probably done so, but if you haven't, make sure to record any voicemails you might want to save.  A lot of the carriers will delete after so long or require you to confirm you want to save them every 3 months. 

I don't have any. She wasn't big on leaving messages.  :cry:

#104507 weretable   I have long conversations with housecats CAGiversary!   776 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

weretable

Posted 06 November 2018 - 02:04 AM

You should check it out again. They added the LFG system, people are always shitposting in some map, and fractals and raids are both much better than dungeons. Arah is still very hard because everyone rushes through it.

I played a long time ago and started to go back but if you hadn't logged on during an update that story stuff wasn't free (I guess that was the "Living World" stuff?) and it seemed like it would run into a lot of money in a hurry.  Is that still the case and if so how expensive would it be to catch up on the game other than the two expansions themselves?  I have the Heart of Thorns expansion from a sale but not the newer one.

#104508 Blade   Imminently Punchable CAGiversary!   14380 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 06 November 2018 - 03:10 AM

I played a long time ago and started to go back but if you hadn't logged on during an update that story stuff wasn't free (I guess that was the "Living World" stuff?) and it seemed like it would run into a lot of money in a hurry.  Is that still the case and if so how expensive would it be to catch up on the game other than the two expansions themselves?  I have the Heart of Thorns expansion from a sale but not the newer one.

Their currency is gems, and while they charge 125 gems per $1 on the in-game store, you can usually get 100 gems for $1 on ebay. You get any Living World episode for free if you log into the game during the first two weeks of its release (even if you don't own any expacs), otherwise all Living World S4 episodes are 200 gems each. Living World S3 package can be bought for 960 gems and contains 6 episodes, and S2 is 1280 for 8 episodes. The episodes sometimes get a further discount during Wintersday (the GW2 holiday season). Path of Fire was $15 this past week. You might be able to get Heart of Thorns and Path of Fire for $30 total in December. You can also trade gold for gems, which is nice since you can progressively farm your purchases instead of buying with cash.

I really like the game, they change things around well enough to keep it interesting. The stories are generally good and have good voice acting. And yeah, no sub means you can pay as little or as much as you think it's worth.

#104509 DrR0Ck   Grammar Ass CAGiversary!   1747 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 06 November 2018 - 02:31 PM

Logitech Spectrum G502 mouse DOTD on Amazon today.  https://smile.amazon...ds=logitech 502

I know there are some fans of the G502 here.  Worth a buy at $38.75?

Edited to add:  Now that the new Hero model is out, would it be better to wait for a sale on that one?

Edited again to add, per camelcamelcamel, this is an all time low price.

#104510 juanjava   El ojo en el cielo CAGiversary!   4082 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

Posted 06 November 2018 - 03:00 PM

I got a 502 almost since launch and love it. Totally worth the price (don't know if was lower before).

#104511 BossKey_Fox   Better Than You CAGiversary!   20724 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 06 November 2018 - 03:20 PM

I don't have any. She wasn't big on leaving messages.  :cry:

My wife is the same.  Won't leave them and let's her own voicemail fill up so she can't receive any more.  The karaoke vids are way cooler than most voicemails anyway.  

#104512 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   10862 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted 06 November 2018 - 04:14 PM

Yea, those days aren't coming back. Fighting Tiamat in FFXI for like 6 hours straight was not worth it.

I played Everquest from 1999-2006 and then off and on after that.  I am grateful to have been able to experience the game in its infancy when everything was new and people didn't have the mechanics memorized and it was a whole exciting new world.  When I was a kid playing Dungeons & Dragons in the 80s and daydreaming about what a computerized version that really felt like D&D might be, I was pretty much imagining Everquest so to see it realized was amazing.  I have a ton of great memories of that time, even the grindy miserable bits.

That said, I wouldn't want to ever do it again.  I'm not in my 20s any longer, able to stay awake until 4am waiting on a rare raid spawn to pop and race to it.  I don't have time for three hour corpse recoveries.  And, of course, there is no going back to a time before you knew about how to game aggro and what stats were king and minmaxing.  And the games that tried to recapture that have failed, probably in large part because the nostalgia looks good on paper but, in reality, people who cut their MMORPG teeth on that are all married now with mortgages and kids and shit to do.

Was fun while it lasted though :)

#104513 Aspyr_Blair   Pub Rep Publisher Representitive   10 Posts   Joined 0.4 Years Ago  

Aspyr_Blair

Posted 06 November 2018 - 04:45 PM

The Aspyr Publisher Sale starts today on Steam.  Every title in our catalogue will be on sale, and at Black Friday level discounts.

10am PST...you all are the only ones on the net that know :)

#104514 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   4232 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

Posted 06 November 2018 - 04:54 PM

Every title in our catalogue will be on sale

Am I a bad potential customer if I have no idea what that actually entails outside of Star Wars games?

#104515 Aspyr_Blair   Pub Rep Publisher Representitive   10 Posts   Joined 0.4 Years Ago  

Aspyr_Blair

Posted 06 November 2018 - 05:26 PM

Am I a bad potential customer if I have no idea what that actually entails outside of Star Wars games?

Not at all! We are the oldest publisher that nobody knows about.  23 years :)

At a high level outside of SW stuff: Civilization, Borderlands, Call of Duty, Homeworld, SimCity, and some award winning indies.

Here is last year's sale page (that will be updated at 10am PST)

#104516 BossKey_Fox   Better Than You CAGiversary!   20724 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 06 November 2018 - 05:51 PM

Not at all! We are the oldest publisher that nobody knows about.  23 years :)

At a high level outside of SW stuff: Civilization, Borderlands, Call of Duty, Homeworld, SimCity, and some award winning indies.

Here is last year's sale page (that will be updated at 10am PST)

You guys need to make it so I can play Torn without a VR headset or buy me a VR headset.  Thanks. 

#104517 Condor80   Let's Go Mets!!! CAGiversary!   4428 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 06 November 2018 - 06:18 PM

I played Everquest from 1999-2006 and then off and on after that.  I am grateful to have been able to experience the game in its infancy when everything was new and people didn't have the mechanics memorized and it was a whole exciting new world.  When I was a kid playing Dungeons & Dragons in the 80s and daydreaming about what a computerized version that really felt like D&D might be, I was pretty much imagining Everquest so to see it realized was amazing.  I have a ton of great memories of that time, even the grindy miserable bits.

That said, I wouldn't want to ever do it again.  I'm not in my 20s any longer, able to stay awake until 4am waiting on a rare raid spawn to pop and race to it.  I don't have time for three hour corpse recoveries.  And, of course, there is no going back to a time before you knew about how to game aggro and what stats were king and minmaxing.  And the games that tried to recapture that have failed, probably in large part because the nostalgia looks good on paper but, in reality, people who cut their MMORPG teeth on that are all married now with mortgages and kids and shit to do.

Was fun while it lasted though :)

Did you ever meet anyone named Kaelon?  He used to play Everquest day in and day out.

#104518 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   10862 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted 06 November 2018 - 06:29 PM

No, but unless we played on the same server (and there was probably 20+ of them at its peak), we couldn't have crossed paths.

#104519 aspyrbash   Pub Rep Publisher Representitive   53 Posts   Joined 0.4 Years Ago  

aspyrbash

Posted 06 November 2018 - 06:47 PM

You guys need to make it so I can play Torn without a VR headset or buy me a VR headset.  Thanks. 

I haven't seen a full LP without commentary yet, but I imagine it would be too shaky unless you rigged up a dummy head like we did for the trailer.

#104520 Zipomatic2   Really, Really Cheap CAGiversary!   518 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 06 November 2018 - 07:47 PM

Moar free stuf!

Talisman: Digital Edition - G7F0Z-ADPMA-F0K** (numbers missing are for a silver celebration)
Warhammer® 40,000: Dawn of War® - Game of the Year Edition - 0AVBL-Y***0-GAIYH (missing letters are a month)
Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide - 029CJ-K5CYR-ITV** (missing letters are a comic book company)