* * * * * 82 votes

Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

PC Steam Origin Uplay DRM-Free

#106111 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2673 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 14 December 2018 - 07:24 PM

not that i like what epic is doing either, but discord needs to give up. ain't nobody buying games from them

You sure about that? Discord is an on-line voice and text chat company first and foremost. There are a lot, and I mean a WHOLE LOT, of gamers who install Discord to use along with their Steam purchased-games. Discord already has a foot in the door, more so than a company like Epic, and is already competing with Steam for features. And they're already selling games, and have been for a little while. This shift to a more developer-friendly profit plan is another arrow in their quiver. I think Discord stands a very good chance of making serious inroads.

My personal favorite Steam-alternative has already been around for quite some time. I'm a big fan of Good Old Games, and their DRM-free policies. I just took advantage of their current Winter sale, and picked up 9 games for only $20. GoG's sales are every bit as good as Steam's, and I can share their games with my family. (without mucking around with Steam accounts) There has been competition for a while. But now that competition is going to get hotter and more contentious.

#106112 aspyrbash   Pub Rep Publisher Representitive   66 Posts   Joined 0.5 Years Ago  

aspyrbash

Posted 14 December 2018 - 07:39 PM

Civilization VI @ 75% off! surprise!

#106113 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   8114 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 14 December 2018 - 08:40 PM

When I become fascist dictator of the world, the very first thing on my to-do list is to ban the song "The Little Drummer Boy".

I hate you for getting this song stuck in my head for two days.

#106114 weretable   KLF is gonna rock you CAGiversary!   853 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

weretable

Posted 14 December 2018 - 09:34 PM

It's a real crap-show and I really have very little reason to be excited about anything coming from the Blizzard group (which only sounds like Blizz in name and nothing else) and also Runic/Echtra. I'm also betting, after D3 PC went online-only, D4 on PC will also probably do the same.

I'd prefer an offline mode (for modding) but in the end D3 was a fun action-rpg game.  It just didn't feel enough like a Diablo title.  I'm very cautiously optimistic about D4 if they really do try to make it darker.  They started making it as a Souls-like and then went in another direction a couple of times but supposedly the one consistent thing throughout was that they wanted to make it darker, gorier and take it back to its roots.  Legion and Overwatch are both fairly recent and were both good so Blizz can still make good content from time to time, they just stopped being a company to blind-preorder games from a long time ago.   

And I doubt we will stop seeing new PC games or even new IPs, but there will be a lot more mobile stuff coming from them and almost any game they make is bound to be tied to mobile in some way, I am just hoping any PC game I am interested in has smaller tie-ins like the silly app they made for Legion which I never saw the need to use.  

#106115 MysterD   38 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   24540 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 14 December 2018 - 09:57 PM

But, that's not the Gold Edition/Complete Edition...

#106116 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   4355 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

Posted 14 December 2018 - 11:00 PM

they wanted to make it darker, gorier and take it back to its roots

. . . . - - - - - - - - - - - + - -
. . . . | . . ) . . . . . . . . . |
. # # # + . . . . . . @ . . . . . |
. # . . | . . . . . . . . . j . . |
. # . . | . . . . . . . . . . . . |
. # . . - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
. #
. #
. #
# #

#106117 DD83   'nives 'n 'nades CAGiversary!   8610 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 14 December 2018 - 11:09 PM

D4 5 month mobile exclusive?

#106118 Blade   Imminently Punchable CAGiversary!   14406 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 14 December 2018 - 11:29 PM

Simple Story - Alex DLC was revoked from OtakuMaker/Gogobundle and people are a little pissed. Apparently the dev wasn't paid correctly or something and decided to revoke keys.

Looks like a trash game anyway, but you might be able to get a free game out of it by complaining in the dev's email.

#106119 Mooby   Herp Derp CAGiversary!   10612 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Posted 14 December 2018 - 11:39 PM

So who is starting the Epic Games Store sale thread?

#106120 DD83   'nives 'n 'nades CAGiversary!   8610 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 14 December 2018 - 11:53 PM

Could you imagine people from a frozen food distributor barging in your house to take back Jacks pizza because Kroger didn't pay their bill?

#106121 MysterD   38 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   24540 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 14 December 2018 - 11:54 PM

What about The Discord Store?

#106122 MysterD   38 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   24540 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 14 December 2018 - 11:58 PM

I'd prefer an offline mode (for modding) but in the end D3 was a fun action-rpg game.  It just didn't feel enough like a Diablo title.  I'm very cautiously optimistic about D4 if they really do try to make it darker.  They started making it as a Souls-like and then went in another direction a couple of times but supposedly the one consistent thing throughout was that they wanted to make it darker, gorier and take it back to its roots.  Legion and Overwatch are both fairly recent and were both good so Blizz can still make good content from time to time, they just stopped being a company to blind-preorder games from a long time ago.   

And I doubt we will stop seeing new PC games or even new IPs, but there will be a lot more mobile stuff coming from them and almost any game they make is bound to be tied to mobile in some way, I am just hoping any PC game I am interested in has smaller tie-ins like the silly app they made for Legion which I never saw the need to use.  

While D3 base was good, it wasn't great. A lot of the hardcore and complex stuff - i.e. stat numbers, skill upgrade paths, and things of that sort at leveling-up - were insanely streamlined by being removed entirely. Basically, they made the game so you couldn't really "screw-up" your character build.

The D3 update w/ Loot 2.0 really helped, but that wasn't enough. It took RoS to make D3 great - from the new awesome Act to the Adventure Mode, RoS really made D3 worth playing & coming back to.

I really hope when D3 dies down on the PC, if it ever does, they do implement an offline mode. I am dreaming here probably and this is a stretch and a half - but, it would be nice.

#106123 Insomniac_34   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   833 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

Insomniac_34

Posted 15 December 2018 - 12:23 AM

Just a heads up: The Subnautica download from the Epic Store is DRM-free. You can copy and move the game folder after installation, uninstall the Epic launcher, and still be able to play the game.

#106124 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   10921 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted 15 December 2018 - 12:34 AM

GoG's sales are every bit as good as Steam's

Hey now, don't go saying things that you'll regret later.  You want people to go to GOG, right?

Just a heads up: The Subnautica download from the Epic Store is DRM-free. You can copy and move the game folder after installation, uninstall the Epic launcher, and still be able to play the game.

So I can wait for someone to upload the DRM-free version and pirate it instead?  That'll show Epic!

#106125 INMATEofARKHAM   Looking for my padded cell CAGiversary!   5503 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

INMATEofARKHAM

Posted 15 December 2018 - 02:15 AM

You?

I mean you bring it up more than anyone else... lol

#106126 MysterD   38 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   24540 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 15 December 2018 - 02:21 AM

Anyone going to start up the GMG Capsule thread?

#106127 weretable   KLF is gonna rock you CAGiversary!   853 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

weretable

Posted 15 December 2018 - 02:52 AM

This looks neat.  Maybe not if you hated Minecraft though.  *shrug*

I really wanted one of those limited edition Kingdom Hearts PS4 Pros and was hoping it would show up at most stores but nope, Crapstop exclusive.  I still probably would have bought one if I hadn't been working this morning and totally missed it, so maybe for the best since I hate giving GS any money.  Dunno if I want to watch for a deal on a normal PS4 Pro now or just skip 4K entirely until the PS5 comes out.

#106128 Ex~   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   565 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 15 December 2018 - 05:46 AM

2018, when there's about 15 pages of anger and hate .... against the awesome DRM-free store and in support of the industry-killing, loot-box, DRM, monetization pushing monstrosity.

It's almost like some sort of crab-like creature has attached to their heads, sucked out their brains, and turned them into mindless zombie shills. Wait ... Half-Life 3 ... is real-life? Well played, Gabe. You were still making games all along.

#106129 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   4355 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

Posted 15 December 2018 - 07:09 AM

2018, when there's about 15 pages of anger and hate .... against the awesome DRM-free store and in support of the industry-killing, loot-box, DRM, monetization pushing monstrosity.

It's almost like some sort of crab-like creature has attached to their heads, sucked out their brains, and turned them into mindless zombie shills. Wait ... Half-Life 3 ... is real-life? Well played, Gabe. You were still making games all along.

I dunno where you’ve been, but DRM-free has been generally snubbed in this thread longer than I’ve been here, which is... uh... well. Huh. Now I just feel old.

#106130 MysterD   38 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   24540 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 15 December 2018 - 01:40 PM

Very nice.

Anyone know if the Steam-version works in the same manner (that it works w/out Steam running)...or not?

EDIT:

I dunno where you’ve been, but DRM-free has been generally snubbed in this thread longer than I’ve been here, which is... uh... well. Huh. Now I just feel old.

There's also a fair amount of games on Steam that are laced without DRM. Yes, without Steam's CEG.

And without any other DRM garbage.

DosBox-supported Games and Larian games on Steam and normally usually are famous for this.

Gone Home on Steam also has no DRM.

EDIT #2:

2018, when there's about 15 pages of anger and hate .... against the awesome DRM-free store and in support of the industry-killing, loot-box, DRM, monetization pushing monstrosity.

Epic isn't entirely DRM-Free.

Dev's/pub's can use their own DRM schemes (Denuvo, SolidShield, Securom, whatever), if they decide to do so.

Just like Steam does.

One difference b/t Epic and Steam with DRM is this: Steam has their own CEG (which is optional, BTW) and Epic (currently) has no DRM homegrown brew of their own.

GOG's really the only true DRM-FREE store out there, as it's a requirement for the game to be on their store period.

• Ex~ likes this

#106131 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   10921 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted 15 December 2018 - 04:36 PM

2018, when there's about 15 pages of anger and hate ....

Are your forum settings for 10 posts per page?  Weirdo =;

#106132 BossKey_Fox   Better Than You CAGiversary!   20837 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 15 December 2018 - 05:36 PM

Like if you have 1062 pages in your Steam thread!

#106133 Kelkeen   \mm/ \mm/ CAGiversary!   763 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 15 December 2018 - 06:59 PM

I legitimately could not care less about what or if any DRM is being used in games.

#106134 Ex~   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   565 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 15 December 2018 - 07:08 PM

I legitimately could not care less about what or if any DRM is being used in games.

Not even that one DRM that steals your GPU cycles to mine bitcoin and then sends the proceeds directly to support child trafficking?  [-(

#106135 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   8114 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 15 December 2018 - 07:25 PM

One day you will.  When you have games or a library of content taken away from you. 

I guess you've never had a VUDU or iTunes digital movie removed from your library.  You've never lost Playstation mobile games or other digital content.  Companies either fail or become acquired all the time.  We're simply riding a hot streak of good fortune right now.

Not everyone is Valve, Blizzard, or EA.  Things are becoming more fractured and splintered than ever and I can guarantee you that at least one or two notable parties will be closing up shop sometime within the next several years.  Steam is just one niche in the digital account universe and one of the safest services around.   It's a pretty poor example for advocating that DRM doesn't bother you.  But you'll change your tune one day, I promise.  Just wait and see.  :D

#106136 MysterD   38 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   24540 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 15 December 2018 - 07:28 PM

You would, if the game just won't boot for some reason....and that could be the only reason it ain't booting.

DRM can get in the way of running games in the future down-the-line, if the DRM is OS-specific (StarForce used to do this) and drivers ain't updated to work on newer OS's. StarForce used to actually measure the disc length and other things when booting a game protected by it - which could cause drives to spin up and down in speed, kill the drivers, discs to break into pieces, and other madness/nonsense.

All those old retail copies of SC: Chaos Theory were protected by that StarForce garbage - so, good luck running those on newer OS's. Prepare to re-buy on UPlay (no SF there), Steam (no SF there), or grab a cracked EXE.

Retail-disc DRM can be useless these days, as it is what is causing old retail copies of Max Payne 2 to have issues booting on newer OS's. Steam-version actually supposedly used a cracked EXE - https://kotaku.com/5...ayne-2-on-steam

Anti-tamper DRM like Denuvo is known to do stuff while you're playing games and dev's have gone record saying Denuvo hurt their performance - https://wccftech.com...ormance-issues/

To get some old stuff going - you'll need to find a cracked EXE for your old version; or go re-buy the game when it gets a DRM-FREE version on GOG Store; or go re-buy game somewhere digitally where it uses a different DRM (if it has any).

#106137 Mooby   Herp Derp CAGiversary!   10612 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Posted 15 December 2018 - 07:50 PM

The plus side of Valve is that it is a privately held company owned primarily by GabeN.  Presumably when he dies it goes to his kids who may or may not sell but I'm guessing GabeN will be with us for many decades to come.  And then what happens depends on if his kids want to sell or just keeping owning it and, why not, you just have a management staff and rake in huge sums of money via Steam.

Epic is 40% owned by Tencent which is basically the Chinese equivalent of Activision -- arguably worse.

#106138 Ex~   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   565 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 15 December 2018 - 08:36 PM

One day you will.  When you have games or a library of content taken away from you. 

I guess you've never had a VUDU or iTunes digital movie removed from your library.  You've never lost Playstation mobile games or other digital content.  Companies either fail or become acquired all the time.  We're simply riding a hot streak of good fortune right now.

Not everyone is Valve, Blizzard, or EA.  Things are becoming more fractured and splintered than ever and I can guarantee you that at least one or two notable parties will be closing up shop sometime within the next several years.  Steam is just one niche in the digital account universe and one of the safest services around.   It's a pretty poor example for advocating that DRM doesn't bother you.  But you'll change your tune one day, I promise.  Just wait and see.  :D

Unfortunately I don't have nearly enough hard drive space to store every game I buy, so even sans DRM, I rely on Steam being up-and-running to have access to my games. Steam has removed games from its store before, and if you didn't have them downloaded at the time, you've lost them. 

I think people who are anti-DRM should focus a lot of effort on the legal front:

1. We need to establish in legal precedence that people who buy games from a service like Steam where the presumption is "you keep it forever" do have ownership over their "personal copy". Maybe there are some limitations on what they can do with it, but there needs to be some legal presumption that they own that copy for personal use. 

2. It needs to be made clear that if you have purchased such a license or right legally from a service like Steam, that digital copies of that same personal copy, or a personal copy which for all intents and purposes is indistinguishable from a legal copy you have legally acquired, can be stored or obtained in any way by people with a legal right (in light of point 1). 

In the event of Steam going down, or lots of games being deleted, we can't just rely on having out own stacks of hard drives with all the games downloaded, if your hard drives get compromised or lost, people will need to be able to rely on other people's backups and copies to recover their games, or, more likely, some sort of "Internet Archive" type place that is devoted to archiving old games and preserving them for posterity. 

Things that are right now of questionable legality, are really going to be essential to preserve an archive of video game history. And there's definitely an issue right now, with things like the NES Classic and the like, over what rights we have to games we've purchased in the past and where and how we can play them. It's going to be an even bigger issue going forward. 

tl;dr I don't want to buy hard drives.

#106139 triplemint  

Posted 15 December 2018 - 08:38 PM

i just want a storefront that isnt overflowing with garbage. i miss when there were "waves" of games getting through greenlight and they were at least somewhat interesting. if epic focuses on small batches of curated releases alongside their free ones itll have my attention every 2 weeks. not like theres any reason for me to have "brand loyalty" for steam 

#106140 Kelkeen   \mm/ \mm/ CAGiversary!   763 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 15 December 2018 - 09:04 PM

Not even that one DRM that steals your GPU cycles to mine bitcoin and then sends the proceeds directly to support child trafficking?  [-(

When you put it that way...nope, still don't care.

Legit concern

Legit concern

Here is the thing about your points.  I don't value my game collection at all.  I've previously advocated for services like EA Origin Access and MS Game Pass to take over the industry and the reason for that is because I don't value this medium at all.  I play games and then outside of a few I almost immediately cease to care about them.  If my Steam account got closed this minute I would be like "meh" and I would play my Xbox, if my Xbox account got deleted then I would go do something else.  Games just hold no significant value for me.

I am not trying to say you don't have valid concerns, I am just saying I don't have those same issues.