* * * * * 84 votes

Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

PC Steam Origin Uplay DRM-Free Epic

#107311 RealCheapLikeAFoxOfficial   Better Than You CAGiversary!   21222 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

RealCheapLikeAFoxOfficial

Posted 29 January 2019 - 02:02 AM

Aren't games expensive enough for the consumer already w/ base-games, DLC's, expansion passes, annual passes, season passes, MTX's, weird pricing schemes, and other madness?

If I'm going to catch a game...you know, it's likely going to be in a sale somewhere; or in a big bundle (on Humble normally). It's just how I operate, buying so much and all.

Also, I have such a big backlog - eh, I don't know if I really need Metro: Exodus ASAP. I don't really think I do, TBH. Still need to tackle Metro: LL Redux's DLC's, TBH.

Plus, w/ Metro: Exodus's stiff requirements - yeah, probably best to wait a year until they optimize the damn thing too. Those recommended requirements, if they're to be believed to be accurate and all, are just bloody ridiculous.

Who knows, though - we've seen games overshoot on their requirements like GTA: VC and Max Payne 2 on release, way back in the day...and actually run very well on hardware b/t the minimum and recommend specs/settings.

Let's take Exodus out of the equation and just talk in generalities, are you willing to pay more for the same game to have it on Steam and if so how much more?  What if pubs say they're happy doing 75% on Epic store but only 66% on on Steam.  Are you willing to pay that difference for the Steam features?

Only one way to find out -- make every title on Epic cheaper (since the price on Steam is already established for that level of features).  The "Steam fee" is Valve's 30% since that's already explicitly for the privilege of being on Steam's feature laden platform.  Games not on Steam should be costing less, not Steam costing more than it does now.

Which, to its credit, Exodus seems to be doing so let's see if all the other publishers/games follow suit.

I don't disagree with this, even though it's the same thing in essence.  Whether you say both games are 50% off and there's a Steam $5 fee or you say the game is 50% off on Epic and only 40% off on Steam.  My main point is whether people really value the Steam features that much.  I certainly don't.  I only pay more for the convenience of having my games in one place, I couldn't care less about those features.  Steam sucked up until this year and they only started upping their game because Discord came around and showed them how to do proper voice chat, regular chat, etc.  I still prefer Discord over everything else.  

Forums and discussions on Steam are not a feature to me but a necessity because of their piss poor CS.  Why wait two weeks for some form response asking me if I turned it off and on again when I can try to fix it myself in the forums?  

There's really nothing about Steam as a client that I think they do particularly well.

As far as exclusivity in general, to the people who dislike it, that's precisely why all this is a good thing.  Steam was getting close to being the only player in town.  If you dislike one game being exclusive to one client, imagine when you only had one client out there cornering the market?  That would really suck, even if  it's the client we all prefer. 

#107312 ochentay4   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   715 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 29 January 2019 - 02:05 AM

Well, Epic Games Launcher doesnt display my "bought" games. They should improve or fix the fucking launcher first before stealing Steam games for its store. Epic fail.

#107313 Tibor   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   277 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 29 January 2019 - 02:07 AM

As far as exclusivity in general, to the people who dislike it, that's precisely why all this is a good thing.  Steam was getting close to being the only player in town.  If you dislike one game being exclusive to one client, imagine when you only had one client out there cornering the market?  That would really suck, even if  it's the client we all prefer. 

How is exclusivity on Epic only a good thing? Many times I've not been happy when a game has been exclusive to Steam. Sell it on all of them and I have no problem. In many cases I'll buy it where it is cheapest.

#107314 MysterD   39 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   25872 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Posted 29 January 2019 - 02:38 AM

How is exclusivity on Epic only a good thing? Many times I've not been happy when a game has been exclusive to Steam. Sell it on all of them and I have no problem. In many cases I'll buy it where it is cheapest.

At least when a game's on Steam, Steam keys can likely be bought everywhere. Numerous 3rd party sellers can sell these, so there's competition on that part. Those guys like Gamersgate, GamesPlanet, Amazon Digital, GreenManGaming, Fanatical, etc - they can all compete against each other for the best price.

I haven't seen any Epic Game Store exclusives have their keys sold anywhere else but directly via Epic. I don't see Epic Exclusives allowing their keys to be sold on Amazon, Gamersgate, Gamesplanet, Amazon Digital, GMG, Fanatical, etc etc - letting those guys fight it out for the best price.

What Epic's doing, is basically what Microsoft's doing w/ W10 Store - a lot of those W10 Store Exclusives can't be bought on any other store. I can't buy Gears of War 1: Ultimate Edition on anywhere but the W10 Store - meaning, if they want, this can be sold at a Premium and without much discounts, if they decide to do so.

#107315 weretable   Its the end of the world and I feel fine CAGiversary!   1016 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

weretable

Posted 29 January 2019 - 04:06 AM

I have not even been bothering with the freebies on Epic.  

I thought about burning card money before they pulled the new Metro but I still have the other games backlogged and have such a huge number of legitimately good games to play that it is highly unlikely that anything else that is exclusive on their platform is going to frustrate me that much.  If it is something that I simply have to play, I can probably play it on PS4.    I still hate Epic for the nonsense around Gears of War when they put out a shit port which nobody wanted because it was total shit and nobody was playing it and then blamed it on piracy and refused to support PC anymore.  

#107316 TrumpCat   knows more about being a cat than anyone, believe me CAGiversary!   4838 Posts   Joined 6.7 Years Ago  

Posted 29 January 2019 - 04:30 AM

giphy.gif

#107317 zenii   cynical sam CAGiversary!   1278 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Posted 29 January 2019 - 04:31 AM

Everyone is trying to be the new Netflix or Steam. I think competition is a good thing, if only for the fact that it forces the entrenched monopoly to (usually) make changes in order to stay competitive. Whether the competitors last long is a moot point; as long as it encourages change (hopefully positive ones). 

And to be fair, "exclusives" is the way the gaming industry has worked since time immemorial. Want to play a mario/pokemon game? Get a nintendo console. Want to play Halo? Xbox. In fact, I'd argue that the main reason playstation is kicking xbox's ass this generation is due to all the cool exclusives on the playstation platform.It's clearly an effective way of luring consumers onto your platform, so why wouldn't Epic do it? They'd be stupid not to. 

#107318 Detruire   Would have finished the dark skin first CAGiversary!   5440 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

Posted 29 January 2019 - 05:03 AM

Competition is good... if it is, in fact, competition.

Claiming that you're introducing competition while buying exclusivity agreements, charging higher prices, and offering fewer features is not competition.

#107319 spoderman  

Posted 29 January 2019 - 05:15 AM

Competition is ok as long as the competitor is halfway competent. Epic.. isn't. The client is a half assed piece of shit that no one wants to use. Steam has tons of features that I use daily, I'm not going to switch over to one of the worst clients available to play an exclusive game when we have Steam, Origin, and Uplay available to us.

#107320 Blade   This is the way CAGiversary!   14964 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 29 January 2019 - 05:32 AM

Video games, movies, music, books--it's almost like every single company is coming out with their own shit-tastic DRM clients to make money by renting bandwidth to us.

Good thing the physical realm isn't that bad yet. I'd rather not pay Nestle a streaming fee to drink my own recycled urine as "purified water."

#107321 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   11168 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted 29 January 2019 - 05:33 AM

Epic can't be considered "competition" with exclusive agreements unless they're going to offer the same free retail key generation that Valve offers.  If a game is available at a dozen digital online stores and the only difference is where you're downloading it from (Steam or Epic) then that's one thing.  If it's available purely from the download platform, that's another.

Metro: Exodus has been pulled from the 3rd party retailers who were selling it and is only sold via Epic now.  Hard to argue that we're breaking monopolies.

#107322 pasports31   New Year's Resolution = Make a Dent in my Backlog CAGiversary!   8826 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 29 January 2019 - 08:18 AM

Competition is ok as long as the competitor is halfway competent. Epic.. isn't. The client is a half assed piece of shit that no one wants to use. Steam has tons of features that I use daily, I'm not going to switch over to one of the worst clients available to play an exclusive game when we have Steam, Origin, and Uplay available to us.

ya but i'll take the free games tho

#107323 Neuro5i5   pʎslǝxıɔ CAGiversary!   10544 Posts   Joined 7.9 Years Ago  

Posted 29 January 2019 - 03:37 PM

I remember when Steam first came out. It was awesome.

So awesome, I avoided it. 

#107324 poxi   something went wrong CAGiversary!   939 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Posted 29 January 2019 - 05:47 PM

Metro LL is excellent.

Same goes for Metro 2033, if you ain't played that.

I actually have also Metro LL Redux namely for the DLC's....and I ain't even got to those DLC's.

Yeah, I played both Metro games (redux versions) a little over two years ago and thought they were fantastic. The gameplay is very well balanced between action & stealth, and the story is interesting enough to keep things moving forward.

I've not played many AAA games of the last decade, but I feel pretty confident in saying that the Metro titles are must-plays.

I agree. Finished Metro 2033 on ranger hardcore difficulty with Russian as language and had a blast with it. However, I still couldn't find enough time to even think about installing M:LL.

Epic Store is shit and I think time exlusive deals will kill early sale numbers of those games, e.g. as it was with CDPR's Thronebreaker.  For me, it's fine, if the game will be available on Steam in next 3-4 years. 

I'll wait. Pretty much, as always. -75% or bust. CAG lifestyle.

#107325 Ex~   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   754 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Posted 29 January 2019 - 06:20 PM

I'll wait for it to get bundled. Maybe by then I'll have a PC to match its recommended specs. 

The other games didn't hold my attention, so much that when I got to a particularly glitchy section (in a part with some metro cars scattered on a bridge, I looked it up and apparently it's a common glitch ... also btw never seen any location in Moscow that looked anything like that section of the game ... kind of jarring/non-immersive) I just stopped playing. 

#107326 Ex~   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   754 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Posted 29 January 2019 - 06:31 PM

I have not even been bothering with the freebies on Epic.  ...    I still hate Epic for the nonsense around Gears of War when they put out a shit port which nobody wanted because it was total shit and nobody was playing it and then blamed it on piracy and refused to support PC anymore.  

lol, definitely got the timeline on that backwards. They had already moved onto Sweeney's vision of "Epic 3.0" before they even produced Gears of War. Gears of War was the flagship project of the Epic 3.0 console push. They had watched sales of narrative, single-player titles on PC under-perform for years. That's why they didn't bother making a good port of Gears, not the other way around. 

Since then Sweeney's moved them on to another model: games as a service, to escape being beholden to publishers, and yet another model now as a publisher and client manager themselves. Both of the first two moves have been incredibly successful for them, each one has been marked by a massively popular title (Gears of War and Fortnite, respectively). We'll see how they do with the publisher and games client push. I wish them godspeed. 

If you want to see what's happened to other developers who chose other paths, just look at a list of Activision or EA's acquisitions. 

#107327 Ex~   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   754 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Posted 29 January 2019 - 07:17 PM

[snip]

Wow a long list of different re-sellers selling ... STEAM keys.

#107328 elessar123  

Posted 29 January 2019 - 07:24 PM

Everyone did. But Counter Strike etc. were so popular, everyone sucked it up. I went years after activating Orange Box before I used it for anything else.

#107329 IkedaTeramusa   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3284 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

IkedaTeramusa

Posted 29 January 2019 - 08:58 PM

Everyone did. But Counter Strike etc. were so popular, everyone sucked it up. I went years after activating Orange Box before I used it for anything else.

I actually lost the account I activated for the Orange Box... so to this day.. the Orange Box doesn't grace my library.  I refused to buy it again :)  There was a HUGE lapse between that and me using Steam for actual gaming.

#107330 warreni   Eminently punchable CAGiversary!   5690 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 29 January 2019 - 09:22 PM

Video games, movies, music, books--it's almost like every single company is coming out with their own shit-tastic DRM clients to make money by renting bandwidth to us.

Good thing the physical realm isn't that bad yet. I'd rather not pay Nestle a streaming fee to drink my own recycled urine as "purified water."

That sounds suspiciously like a pun. Go sit in the corner and face the wall.

What's the difference between recycled urine and alkaline-ionized water or electrolyzed water? Nothing. They're all water. 

Same here. I realized I can barely be arsed to load DRM-free stuff from Galaxy or Ubi stuff on Uplay or EA stuff on Origin. Why add another layer of confusion? It's one of those rare instances where free just isn't cheap enough to justify the purchase. 

#107331 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   9146 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted 29 January 2019 - 09:55 PM

Gee the all-digital future sure is great.

#107332 MysterD   39 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   25872 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Posted 29 January 2019 - 10:35 PM

Steam was horrible when it first came out. Felt like it was just there for DRM.

Look what it has turned into now, though: the most feature-rich PC digital service out there by a mile...and then some.

#107333 weretable   Its the end of the world and I feel fine CAGiversary!   1016 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

weretable

Posted 29 January 2019 - 11:31 PM

I probably do have some timeline stuff entirely wrong, it has been a while.  Does not change that they blamed moving away from PC on piracy and didn't really acknowledge how shitty some of their recent PC output had been.  Later they somewhat admitted to Bulletstorm being janky on PC but that game was them with People Can Fly and not sure that was an admission of Epic's mistakes or just shifting blame to PCF.  And while other developers were going multi-platform and saying it was because of piracy making a  policy of creating PC-exclusive games untenable, Epic just abandoned PC. 

At any rate the Epic client is the worst one since GFWL was a thing and I want no part of it, even without me already disliking Epic as a company. 

#107334 MysterD   39 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   25872 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Posted 29 January 2019 - 11:53 PM

I probably do have some timeline stuff entirely wrong, it has been a while.  Does not change that they blamed moving away from PC on piracy and didn't really acknowledge how shitty some of their recent PC output had been.  Later they somewhat admitted to Bulletstorm being janky on PC but that game was them with People Can Fly and not sure that was an admission of Epic's mistakes or just shifting blame to PCF.  And while other developers were going multi-platform and saying it was because of piracy making a  policy of creating PC-exclusive games untenable, Epic just abandoned PC. 

At any rate the Epic client is the worst one since GFWL was a thing and I want no part of it, even without me already disliking Epic as a company. 

W10 Store's Games might be worse than G4WL in some ways, TBH. Both are pretty bad though.

At least w/ G4WL games, they're still easy to back-up, mod, manipulate the folder/files, etc.

Not so much w/ W10 Store's Game.

I'm really not sure where they're located as the files are all named weirdly somewhere (best to poke around on forums to find out their names and where they are); you don't really have access to these folders b/c they're mostly "protected"; and you have to try to "own the folder" to be able to manipulate the files (move them, copy them, back them up, mod them, etc). Though, it actually might just be easier to just re-download the game entirely to another PC (instead of moving it/copying it) - especially if you have fast Internet w/ your ISP.

At least w/ Epic Game Store's games, I can still mod and manipulate folders/files easily.

Though, Epic Games is probably right behind the two M$ services as one of the worst.

I'm not fond of the Epic Store and it's one of the worst - but I don't think it's the worst service ever created. G4WL and W10 take the cake for the worst PC gaming services of all time.

#107335 hostyl1   Rejoice commoners! CAGiversary!   3080 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 30 January 2019 - 02:56 AM

That sounds suspiciously like a pun. Go sit in the corner and face the wall.

And you just *accidentally* highlighted his alleged micturition joke in yellow, huh? You, sir, may join him in the corner!

#107336 weretable   Its the end of the world and I feel fine CAGiversary!   1016 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

weretable

Posted 30 January 2019 - 03:32 AM

I'm not fond of the Epic Store and it's one of the worst - but I don't think it's the worst service ever created. G4WL and W10 take the cake for the worst PC gaming services of all time.

I haven't had any issues with Windows 10 store thus far other than it being a mess if you are trying to browse.  I'd probably hate it if I had to use it for more than a few games though.  I had a lot of issues with GFWL games so it still gets "worst ever" for me.  I really liked Age of Empires online and I spent like a week straight trying to get it to work before I was ever able to play with my friends.  Still a bit salty that game was shut down.

#107337 Master Miguel   Tired CAGiversary!   1447 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Master Miguel

Posted 30 January 2019 - 06:38 AM

I haven't had any issues with Windows 10 store thus far other than it being a mess if you are trying to browse. I'd probably hate it if I had to use it for more than a few games though. I had a lot of issues with GFWL games so it still gets "worst ever" for me. I really liked Age of Empires online and I spent like a week straight trying to get it to work before I was ever able to play with my friends. Still a bit salty that game was shut down.

AoE Online was pretty darn fun actually, ridiculous that the servers shut down and everything related to it is now gone. Hopefully AoE4 will be at least as good as AoE Online was.

#107338 zenii   cynical sam CAGiversary!   1278 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Posted 30 January 2019 - 06:41 AM

I dunno, I'd still consider Epic Game store as a "disruptive competitor" in the same way MoviePass was. Both started off with massive acclaim - I remember when EGS launched, people lauded it for it's larger share of the cut for developers, and possibly a steam competitor... but like MoviePass, they found that business model unsustainable and started implementing one anti-consumer policy after another. And while they did eventually run themselves into the ground, it did shake up the market. Movie theatres and other third party companies started offering their own "watch x movies per week" programs, obviously not in the same retarded cash-burning way MoviePass did it. MoviePass is the modern day Icarus - got too close to the sun, then crashed and burned. But I digress.

I feel like EGS is the same. Honestly, it's not a "real" competitor to steam and will run itself into the ground sooner or later. But recently there has been a slow trend towards "exclusives" on the PC, like with Destiny 2 exclusive to Battlenet. I think this Metro Exodus on EGS is the "tipping point" that shows that exclusives on PC are a thing, and are here to stay. And why the Fuck not? Again, exclusives sell. The Nintendo Switch had a tiny library at launch and then went on to become the fastest selling console during the holiday season precisely because it's exclusives were so good and enticing. Obviously Metro is probably not that game that will get people to switch, or even get them to start, using EGS but the unmistakable fact is, we're going to start seeing a lot more client/storefront exclusives on PC. 

I mean, maybe my take on the situation is completely wrong, but there's more than one way to react to something than "ermagerd DAE EPIC BAD! EA BAD!! BLIZZ BAD!!!!"

#107339 geekstop711  

geekstop711

Posted 30 January 2019 - 07:08 AM

Steam/Gog>Battle.net>origin>epic>uplay>win10>discord>bethesda launcher>gamestops old pc game client

#107340 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯   Nearing puberty. CAGiversary!   1556 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Posted 30 January 2019 - 07:12 AM

RE2 was good. X certainly gave it to me.