* * * * * 84 votes

Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

PC Steam Origin Uplay DRM-Free Epic

#113221 MysterD   39 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   25704 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 18 November 2019 - 03:51 AM

Still waiting for inevitable Super Ultra Street Fighter V: Alpha Championship Turbo Arcade Edition w/ everything...

#113222 inm8num2   The result is quite fresh and quality. CAGiversary!   3214 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Posted 18 November 2019 - 04:11 AM

Age of Empires 4 will have expansion DLC but not MTX.

https://www.pcgamesn.../dlc-expansions

Age of Empires 4 won’t have microtransactions or in-app purchases
age-of-empires-4-city-580x334.jpg

Age of Empires 4 will be arriving with a new business model, giving players the option to either outright purchase the game or play it as part of Microsoft’s subscription-based Game Pass service. But one thing it won’t have is microtransactions or in-app purchases.

“The idea of microtransactions in a real-time strategy game isn’t a thing,” said Age of Empires creative director Adam Isgreen at XO19 in London. “DLC, expansions – all of that is things that we’re going to be exploring for Age 4.”

In fact, Isgreen said Microsoft’s new dedicated Age of Empires studio World’s Edge is looking into expansion content for all the Age of Empires games, which includes Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition, which launched this past week.

As far as what that expansion content will look like, Isgreen says that’s in many ways down to the games’ player communities. As an example, he said, new civilisations probably won’t be coming to Age of Empires II, since it already has 35.

“Our pro players are even like, please don’t add more civilisations, please do other things,” he said.

“But we want to have those conversations with the community, to figure out what we can add,” he said. “What are the things they want to see in the game? Things like game modes.”

Isgreen says they’ll be starting those conversations up with fans as the team shifts its focus to Age of Empires III, and that the approach for Age of Empires 4 will be no different.

“While we definitely already have ideas in terms of where we want to go past Age 4, in terms of expansions and stuff, a lot of that is going to be driven by the community and the players, where they want to see the game going,” Isgreen explained.

We still don’t know when the Age of Empires 4 release date is going to be, but in the meantime you can check out our Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition review.

#113223 pasports31   New Year's Resolution = Make a Dent in my Backlog CAGiversary!   8814 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

Posted 18 November 2019 - 05:08 AM

i started playing super daryl deluxe, it was a game that came in a humble bundle a few months ago...it's a metroidvania-ish game, it's decent. good art style, varied environments, fun enough combat, seems to be a fair amount of content...i give it like a 7/10 so far or so

#113224 BrownDerby   🐟 CAGiversary!   734 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

BrownDerby

Posted 18 November 2019 - 07:10 AM

Still waiting for inevitable Super Ultra Street Fighter V: Alpha Championship Turbo Arcade Edition w/ everything...

This is probably the one you've been waiting for, it includes all the characters and most of the costume DLC

#113225 MysterD   39 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   25704 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 18 November 2019 - 10:32 AM

This is probably the one you've been waiting for, it includes all the characters and most of the costume DLC

But are they planning to do another Season Pass...?

#113226 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   11115 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted 18 November 2019 - 02:27 PM

(Speaking of the Division I finally got my Merciless to drop the other day.  yay me!)

Time to work that Merciless/Spark build!

Speaking of, I had some random guy request an invite to our clan this weekend.  I accepted since it's not as though you can steal the clan coffers or anything in this game and worst he can do is realize that we have few active players, get bored and leave.  Still, if it was anyone here, let me know just so I'm not forever wondering how our clan got picked for an invite request.

With a little over 39h, after last night, The Outer Worlds (PC / Xbox for PC Game Pass) is now in the books as completed, after my first playthrough.
[...]
Easy GOTY Nomination from me...and likely, My Personal Pick for 2019 GOTY, as long as nothing else spectacular gets played and/or finished by December 31st, 2019.

I started this with hopeful expectations, got into the space station after the first town and then... just stopped playing.  Maybe I should give it another go but something failed to hook me.

Tried Rage 2 the other night and, again, maybe I need to give it another chance or two but I wasn't feeling any love.  Which is weird because I enjoyed the last couple Far Cry games and Mad Max and liked BL2 enough to finish it (though no excitement for BL3) so this should fit snugly into the same spot.  Maybe it's too XX-Treme!!! for me in presentation or something.  All I know is that I did the tutorial intro, drove around, opened some roadblock barrier and then thought "That's nice" and played something else.

On the plus side, Game Pass is paying dividends in showing me games that I thought I'd like but turns out I don't without being tricked into actually buying them. 

#113227 warreni   Eminently punchable CAGiversary!   5650 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Posted 18 November 2019 - 04:26 PM

Age of Empires 4 will have expansion DLC but not MTX.

https://www.pcgamesn.../dlc-expansions

Good news, although it would have been weird for it to have those, like the story says. I haven't jumped into AoEII:DE yet. I fooled around with the first DE and was getting my ass kicked by the AI. A new AoEII campaign could be fun, if I don't now completely suck at RTSes in my old age. I guess I'll find out in the near future. 

The teaser trailer for AoE IV was weird. It could easily have been a trailer for the AoEII:DE release. I was expecting to see some different time periods than we've seen in previous games. While everything looks nice and Relic generally does a good job with these kinds of offerings (the curiously-structured campaign of Dawn of War III notwithstanding--still haven't finished that), I figured we'd move somewhere beyond the colonization of the Americas with a new iteration in the series--maybe something that leads to the world wars and the associated technologies? Aircraft would be a real game-changer. 

Anybody remember this? 

YFvLorM3goJMlgKtNEjc8kCS3IodR5NgGl3hDUmI

#113228 sasquatc4   CAG in Limbo CAGiversary!   1786 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 18 November 2019 - 04:37 PM

I figured we'd move somewhere beyond the colonization of the Americas with a new iteration in the series--maybe something that leads to the world wars and the associated technologies? Aircraft would be a real game-changer. 

Agreed, this is why I keep hoping for a rise of nations DE, always like RoN much better than AoE

#113229 BrownDerby   🐟 CAGiversary!   734 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

BrownDerby

Posted 18 November 2019 - 04:50 PM

But are they planning to do another Season Pass...?

One of the new characters is just Evil Ryu, so I think they're done.

#113230 pasports31   New Year's Resolution = Make a Dent in my Backlog CAGiversary!   8814 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

Posted 18 November 2019 - 06:45 PM

Far cry primal is 6 bucks on steam right now, i think that's the lowest i've seen it. think i'm gonna pick it up

#113231 warreni   Eminently punchable CAGiversary!   5650 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Posted 18 November 2019 - 06:56 PM

Agreed, this is why I keep hoping for a rise of nations DE, always like RoN much better than AoE

I still haven't gotten around to it yet. Like Supreme Commander, I've heard good things. 

• hal likes this

#113232 RealCheapLikeAFoxOfficial   Better Than You CAGiversary!   21150 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

RealCheapLikeAFoxOfficial

Posted 18 November 2019 - 07:43 PM

Far cry primal is 6 bucks on steam right now, i think that's the lowest i've seen it. think i'm gonna pick it up

I recently started playing that.  It starts out pretty promising, but then sort of just turns into gimped far cry with limited weapons because well, Primal.  I think as long as you go in not expecting a survival game (which is how they advertised it in some ways) you should be fine.  Caveman Far Cry is all it is.

Also, just a heads up everyone, this is my one and only official account.  If you get contacted by any other accounts claiming to be me they are impostors!  

#113233 warreni   Eminently punchable CAGiversary!   5650 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Posted 18 November 2019 - 08:33 PM

I recently started playing that.  It starts out pretty promising, but then sort of just turns into gimped far cry with limited weapons because well, Primal.  I think as long as you go in not expecting a survival game (which is how they advertised it in some ways) you should be fine.  Caveman Far Cry is all it is.

Also, just a heads up everyone, this is my one and only official account.  If you get contacted by any other accounts claiming to be me they are impostors!  

Quien es este?

#113234 Mooby   Herp Derp CAGiversary!   10975 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Posted 18 November 2019 - 11:23 PM

Far Cry games are too copy/paste for me to spend more than $5 on them.

#113235 INMATEofARKHAM   Looking for my padded cell CAGiversary!   5848 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

INMATEofARKHAM

Posted 19 November 2019 - 12:06 AM

Time to work that Merciless/Spark build!

When I had a clan I use to get people joining all the time but it was set to pubic...  I dropped my own clan because their interface is horrible.  You have no idea who is active and who isn't.

I already have spark ready...  I just need a better backpack or I need to realize 60% crt chance with an Assault Rifle isn't going to work.

#113236 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   9042 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Posted 19 November 2019 - 01:41 AM

Google Stadia Review: https://www.tomshard...s/google-stadia

"Right before launch, Google bumped the number of games at launch to 22 titles. More games are planned for 2019 and into 2020. You have to pay for these games, so this isn’t a subscription service like Netflix or Disney+. And that’s on top of the $10 a month until the free tier comes out."

#113237 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10007 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 19 November 2019 - 03:04 AM

Forgot to mention Storybundle is running another video game book bundle. HG101 books in this bundle are Guide to Retro Horror and Star-Fox/F-Zero. $15 for the bundle and ends in about 3 days.

Link

#113238 pasports31   New Year's Resolution = Make a Dent in my Backlog CAGiversary!   8814 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

Posted 19 November 2019 - 04:12 AM

Far Cry games are too copy/paste for me to spend more than $5 on them.

tbh i kinda agree but i do it anyway

#113239 eulogywerd21   Jesus wept CAGiversary!   3671 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

eulogywerd21

Posted 19 November 2019 - 05:04 PM

Any of you gentle, cheap Asses watching for good NVMe deals with Black Friday approaching? Hoping for a decent 2TB, but might settle for 2 x 1TB depending on the brand/cost/speed/etc.

#113240 sasquatc4   CAG in Limbo CAGiversary!   1786 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 19 November 2019 - 05:20 PM

Any of you gentle, cheap Asses watching for good NVMe deals with Black Friday approaching? Hoping for a decent 2TB, but might settle for 2 x 1TB depending on the brand/cost/speed/etc.

Seems like right now its ~100 for 1tb, 200 for 2tb. I recently picked up a microcenter one, https://www.microcen...lid_State_Drive

You can also find the intel 660p's for cheaper, however keep in mind a lot of the ones that are going to be cheaper are going to be this newer QLC flash. When compared to the older TLC like in the microcenter and slightly more expensive ones, QLC is going to be 50% of the speed and 1/10 of the lifetime (theres a reason they a cheaper, easier to make but with some big downsides)

#113241 eulogywerd21   Jesus wept CAGiversary!   3671 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

eulogywerd21

Posted 19 November 2019 - 05:57 PM

Seems like right now its ~100 for 1tb, 200 for 2tb. I recently picked up a microcenter one, https://www.microcen...lid_State_Drive

You can also find the intel 660p's for cheaper, however keep in mind a lot of the ones that are going to be cheaper are going to be this newer QLC flash. When compared to the older TLC like in the microcenter and slightly more expensive ones, QLC is going to be 50% of the speed and 1/10 of the lifetime (theres a reason they a cheaper, easier to make but with some big downsides)

Inland wasn't even on my radar and based on several Amazon reviews

the read/write speeds are better than advertised. Nice. Might run over to MC in a bit.

Edit: Negative. MC via Amazon is selling it for only $5 more. Use some Bing bux and now I'll get it today and I won't have to put clothes on/waste gas. Win

#113242 sasquatc4   CAG in Limbo CAGiversary!   1786 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 19 November 2019 - 06:22 PM

Inland wasn't even on my radar and based on several Amazon reviews

the read/write speeds are better than advertised. Nice. Might run over to MC in a bit.

Edit: Negative. MC via Amazon is selling it for only $5 more. Use some Bing bux and now I'll get it today and I won't have to put clothes on/waste gas. Win

Wait

MC will not honor warranties for things purchased via amazon (at least this is what Ive heard), just go to the store. If you do have troubles you might have a lot of problems trying to get things fixed. If you just get it at MC its an easy return/swap/whatever

#113243 eulogywerd21   Jesus wept CAGiversary!   3671 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

eulogywerd21

Posted 19 November 2019 - 06:37 PM

Wait

MC will not honor warranties for things purchased via amazon (at least this is what Ive heard), just go to the store. If you do have troubles you might have a lot of problems trying to get things fixed. If you just get it at MC its an easy return/swap/whatever

You're saying MC will make a return/swap after the standard 30 day return period on these? Is Inland owned by MC or partnered somehow?

Edit:
They've shipped it. I'll hold off on installing it until I can get warranty clarification from the manufacturer

#113244 sasquatc4   CAG in Limbo CAGiversary!   1786 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 19 November 2019 - 07:08 PM

You're saying MC will make a return/swap after the standard 30 day return period on these? Is Inland owned by MC or partnered somehow?

Edit:
They've shipped it. I'll hold off on installing it until I can get warranty clarification from the manufacturer

Yea Id just double check with them. When I investigated nvme's a few months back I looked up reviews on these and they were all great, but the one thing was people who ordered them on amazon on the hardocp forums having some issues

#113245 hostyl1   Rejoice commoners! CAGiversary!   3080 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 19 November 2019 - 07:51 PM

Everything you said is technically correct. There is, however, an opinion that none of this makes any *practical* difference. Yes the endurance is less, but you're not likely to get anywhere near the endurance limit before the tech is obsolete. True, the benchmark speed is less, but they have firmware/cache tricks that mask that for everyday tasks. Really, the only time you'll see the SSD limited to the QLC speed is if you are doing SSD to SSD cloning/copying.  There is a youtube guy (Tech Deals) who goes *really* in depth (some might say *too* in depth) on the 660p.  I'd suggest listening to him before just writing off these QLC SSDs.

For the same price, yeah the Inland might be a better deal, though the Inlands have a 3yr warranty and the 660p has a 5 yr warranty if that means anything. Note, there is also a 2TB version of the 660p at the same $/GB ration for $200.

https://www.youtube....h?v=kM4P4RrExJ0

BTW: I have an Inland SATA ssd in one of my laptops and it's fine.

#113246 sasquatc4   CAG in Limbo CAGiversary!   1786 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 19 November 2019 - 08:14 PM

Everything you said is technically correct. There is, however, an opinion that none of this makes any *practical* difference. Yes the endurance is less, but you're not likely to get anywhere near the endurance limit before the tech is obsolete. True, the benchmark speed is less, but they have firmware/cache tricks that mask that for everyday tasks. Really, the only time you'll see the SSD limited to the QLC speed is if you are doing SSD to SSD cloning/copying.  There is a youtube guy (Tech Deals) who goes *really* in depth (some might say *too* in depth) on the 660p.  I'd suggest listening to him before just writing off these QLC SSDs.

Yea I read them all (and watched). Id agree that in the future it might not be worth writing them off. However for right now, with almost no price difference, why get the lower spec product? If it was 75%, 50%, etc the price of TLC then sure an argument can be made, but when they are virtually the same price like they are right now there's no advantage to going QLC

Id rather take the faster longer life drive for a couple bucks more that I could reuse in a new build as a system drive and not have to worry about its longevity

Also you can hit those speed drops the moment you fill up its cache space. If you start doing a large transfer (or installing a large game), you can easily bump up against the space reserved for caching and the performance drop is hit. This is not something you are going to see installing windows, which is many tiny files that can easily be flushed from cache and is not one continuous stream

His benchmarks are meh at best. Installing windows........... from a usb flash drive ...............  At best the only speed ups you get are during any unpacking stages that would have been done, and even then that speed up is only going to be on a fetch to put it in memory and the write back. GTAV is also a horrible demonstration of load times. You can look up tests people have done of regular ssd vs hdd load times on it and they are all over the place from 1min difference, to no difference, to 10sec difference

So you can still say, in the real world most people wont see a difference under some circumstances and not others, sure. But the price isnt there yet to justify QLC

#113247 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   9042 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Posted 19 November 2019 - 08:21 PM

Yes, I am probably going to buy this one.  high-speed 3D NAND flash, at least 3,100 read / 2,800 write and < $100.  I've heard that it's even faster. 

Otherwise the Sabrent Rocket has been going on sale on Amazon too for $110-120.  https://www.reddit.c...sd_use_link_in/

People recommend other ones all the time and they're slower, and have worse flash memory. 

#113248 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   9042 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Posted 19 November 2019 - 08:28 PM

For the same price, yeah the Inland might be a better deal, though the Inlands have a 3yr warranty and the 660p has a 5 yr warranty if that means anything. Note, there is also a 2TB version of the 660p at the same $/GB ration for $200.

https://www.youtube....h?v=kM4P4RrExJ0

BTW: I have an Inland SATA ssd in one of my laptops and it's fine.

So you bought a slower Intel one huh?

See these are the mental gymnastics I read through whenever this topic comes up.  Why would he not buy the faster NVMe drive. 

#113249 rcsample   You're entering a world of pain! CAGiversary!   4730 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

Posted 19 November 2019 - 09:35 PM

I don't know if I'm gentle at all, we'd have to ask your mother...

tenor.gif?itemid=10949396

#113250 Z-Saber   moon2S CAGiversary!   6726 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 19 November 2019 - 09:36 PM

This is the Fuck ing Steam thread, not the hardware discussion thread!

Back on topic, 50% off online orders at Pizza Hut with code FIFTYOFF. Good through Sunday, Nov 24.