* * * * * 83 votes

Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

PC Steam Origin Uplay DRM-Free

#114091 TrumpCat   knows more about being a cat than anyone, believe me CAGiversary!   4734 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

Posted 01 January 2020 - 08:52 PM

A tremendous Happy New Year to everyone! Apart from that loser BidenCat obviously, I hope his year is SAD!

#114092 IkedaTeramusa   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3234 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

IkedaTeramusa

Posted 01 January 2020 - 09:05 PM

I played a bit of MW5 on Epic.  But other than that... though I did bite on Rebel Galaxy Outlaw today... we'll see as I don't have high hopes.

Still have to audio, invite, and watch a broadcast.  Shame.  Really irksome items.

#114093 inm8num2   The result is quite fresh and quality. CAGiversary!   3156 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

Posted 01 January 2020 - 09:12 PM

I motion that we impeach Mayor Carol.

#114094 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   11047 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted 01 January 2020 - 10:23 PM

I don't have an Epic account yet since anything they've given away has either been old stuff I already own or stuff I don't care about and wouldn't play anyway (or both!).  Had their $10 voucher worked on DLC, I might have given in but it didn't so I didn't.  Nothing that was going to go down to the $5-6 range with it interested me.  Was half-interested in TABS except that's on Game Pass anyway and... was good for 7 minutes of idle amusement before throwing crudely rendered Hoplites against crudely rendered Pirate Musketeers lost its novelty and I uninstalled.

My sole purchase from Steam was the Witcher Expansion Pass so I can join those inspired to touch their inner-Cavill by the series.  Which I thought was good; a good mix of serious stuff to keep you invested and pulpy stuff to have fun with it.  I once started W3 and got to the first big city where the back and forth fetch missions requiring me to crisscross their terrible medieval urban planning umpteen times finally bored me and I quit.  We'll see if my attention span holds this time.

#114095 Mooby   Herp Derp CAGiversary!   10843 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 01 January 2020 - 10:32 PM

So I fought the crowds at the mall for 50% off clearance prices at Dillards.  Got six Polo shirts at $30 each and a suit for $395.  Still too cheap to ignore the ~10-20% or so I'm being short-changed due to crappy Steam sale prices and/or risk of bundle fodder.  The amount is irrelevant, it's all about relative pricing, bros!

#114096 MysterD   39 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   25294 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

Posted 01 January 2020 - 10:34 PM

I played a bit of MW5 on Epic.  But other than that... though I did bite on Rebel Galaxy Outlaw today... we'll see as I don't have high hopes.

Would love to hear your impressions on MW5, if you decide to share them. I'm really looking forward to grabbing that, when it gets cheaper. I really enjoyed the hell out of MW2: Mercs, back in my earliest PC Gaming Win 95 days.

Since you've bit the bullet on RG:O despite having your concerns of it, I hope you do wind up surprised & enjoy it...like I have so far.

#114097 Mooby   Herp Derp CAGiversary!   10843 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 01 January 2020 - 10:49 PM

Will not give RGO devs a penny for then selling out to Epic.

#114098 Freeze Time  

Freeze Time

Posted 01 January 2020 - 11:26 PM

Has it already been posted that Darksiders 1 and 2 and Steep are the free Epic games today?

#114099 RealCheapLikeAFoxOfficial   Better Than You CAGiversary!   21034 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

RealCheapLikeAFoxOfficial

Posted 02 January 2020 - 12:30 AM

Epic Game Store was the best store of 2019. If you feel otherwise you're just a boomer Grinch with a heart two sizes too small.

#114100 Neuro5i5   pʎslǝxıɔ CAGiversary!   10499 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

Posted 02 January 2020 - 12:36 AM

So, will the tokens expire or will they roll over into some other currency for the next half-assed sale?

#114101 RealCheapLikeAFoxOfficial   Better Than You CAGiversary!   21034 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

RealCheapLikeAFoxOfficial

Posted 02 January 2020 - 12:54 AM

They didn't roll over from the last event so I will guess they expire.

#114102 IkedaTeramusa   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3234 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

IkedaTeramusa

Posted 02 January 2020 - 02:24 AM

Would love to hear your impressions on MW5, if you decide to share them. I'm really looking forward to grabbing that, when it gets cheaper. I really enjoyed the hell out of MW2: Mercs, back in my earliest PC Gaming Win 95 days.

Since you've bit the bullet on RG:O despite having your concerns of it, I hope you do wind up surprised & enjoy it...like I have so far.

MW5 is ok at best.  They made some decisions where you run around your ship which was supposed to make it feel inclusive, but instead it feels bloated.  I like the concept of actually shooting off parts of mechs but it doesn't always work.  Hitboxes don't seem quite right.  I personally walked away while I watch the patch notes.  I miss Mercs.... I wish they'd just have kept a menu system similar to that.

#114103 pasports31   New Year's Resolution = Make a Dent in my Backlog CAGiversary!   8745 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

Posted 02 January 2020 - 02:31 AM

Heh, I was just looking at my playtime on the Epic app since I was curious how much time I actually put into the free games:

Subnautica 2 hours

Rayman Legends 45m

Everything 35m

Enter the Gungeon 50m

City of Brass 30m

you should go back to rayman legends, that game is incredibly good imo

#114104 Tibor   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   221 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 02 January 2020 - 07:28 AM

So, I tried out...Outward (Epic Game Store version).

Here's some thoughts on this RPG/survival-game hybrid.

Outward is basically a Frankenstein monster of these titles and game styles: Gothic series, Dark Souls series, and survival games. 

Starting From Scratch.

Outward is notoriously difficult. You start the game, as a scrub/ordinary guy...who wakes up on a shore after a shipwreck. You try to survive after this mess, eventually wake up, and then have 5 days to pay off a debt (of 150 coins). If you don't do so, you could lose the lighthouse/house/place to store my stuff and sleep. And given that this game is also a survival game - yeah, you might not want to lose the lighthouse.

But chances are...well, at least on your first play-through - yeah, you probably will...lose the lighthouse. Hell, I know I did. The game doesn't by any means teach you much, hold your hand, or anything of that sort in-game. (Side note: There is a separate tutorial, but I didn't take it on). You will learn...by playing & getting knocked-out (i.e. the way game deals with "death", before you "resurrect" somewhere).

Knocked-Out.

And when you get knocked-out - you lose sleep, time, and then wind-up awakening...somewhere. Could depend on who (or what) knocks you out, robs you, attacks you, finds you, what locations you're near, random, and/or whatever. You could wind-up back at an Inn; you could wind-up as a prisoner in a prison and need to escape; you could be saved by someone in the wilderness at a camp or campfire. You might have your belongings. You might not. Who knows, though...as you can shrug your shoulders.

Combat & Questing.

Combat's fine, control-wise. It's similar to Gothic games, Risen series & ELEX in how it actually handles - locking onto enemies, attacking them, that you don't waste attacks b/c you can tire yourself out, and/or things of that sort. While it does feel looser than Piranha Bytes' games and not as good as Dark Souls' games - it's still solid. Combat really matters here, though - as it can lead to you being knocked-out...for a bit.

If this all isn't enough, you have to deal w/ taking quests on. You can take on quests & make decisions - you know, the typical RPG stuff. But what makes this interesting is the extra survival elements and difficulty of the game. Adventuring into the game-world and the wilds of this world - where there are bandits, robbers, monsters, and anything else you can think of - isn't for the faint. There are plenty of things to do and a good amount of places to see - caves, dungeons, towns/cities, hubs, etc. But, you not only have deal w/ the world, but the also the survival aspects of the game.

Survival Of The Fittest.

You will have to get food, cook it, not let any bags you carry get damaged (or its contents of what you put in there get damaged), get water, drink water, sleep, rest - or do anything necessary to survive. Your weight (for what you wear & carry) actually matters, as...well, you could move, attack and/or even roll slower, if you more in your Inventory. Have less in your Inventory...and you'll be faster when moving around. You do not want to run all the time, or you'll tire yourself out. You will need to eat...or you could get a penalty and lose health. You can get sick, if you don't cook food...or do that even right.

You get one save-slot per a character play-through. The game will auto-save will over-write its own save-slot, after something happens to your character. You are going to have to live with your decisions, wins, failures, progress, and/or whatever...whether you like it or not.

Performance & Graphics.

Just like the game being brutal, so is performance...which certainly isn't ideal. On my SC15 laptop (i7 7700HQ; 16 GB RAM; 6GB GTX 1060), at 1080p with High settings and a FPS cap of 50 (to keep it to stop from bouncing around framerates) - it just isn't the best looking game. While there's lots of details, items, and textures - this still looks like a game from the Gothic 2 era of games...but with much better lighting technology that can be used. If that isn't enough, it's eating VRAM for breakfast (easily over 3.5 GB of VRAM) at Medium or higher settings. On my desktop (i7 950; 16 GB RAM; GTX 970), I had to cap it to 40fps at 1080p with Medium settings just to keep its framerate actually a bit more stable.

Outro.

If this sounds like the deck of cards is stacked way against you in this game called Outward...well, you're right. If you want a really difficult & challenging RPG/survival hybrid of a game - well, then there's plenty of reason to pick this very difficult title. If you thought Dark Souls was brutal - well, if this opening hour is any indication and it stays as difficult & as brutal as this from start-to-finish, the very brutal Dark Souls might be tame next to this game (Outward).

Given what I've said about Outward: this game might not be for everyone.

But, even still as terrible as I am at games like Dark Souls and Outward...there's just something about this brutally difficult game. This all makes me want to play Outward...MORE.

Well...at least for now, anyways.

Thanks for the review. Outward was the only other game besides Satisfactory that I bought on Epic. I figured for $6 it was worth the risk.

#114105 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   8819 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Posted 02 January 2020 - 04:17 PM

Civilization VI - Platinum Edition (both expansions, all DLC) is $29.99 on Newegg

#114106 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   8819 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Posted 02 January 2020 - 04:53 PM

Here's my Steam sale haul.   I wasn't going to buy anything but eh

Endless Space 2 standard edition - $9.99

3DMark - $4.49

Neoverse - $7.19

total: $21.67

the sale ends pretty soon here, I believe in 1hour at noon CST but could be 7min.  I just checked out;  I'm sure there's some other people here like that heh.

EDIT: oh and I bought this for $24.99 before discounts at Target in Dec. 

Spoiler

#114107 DD83   'nives 'n 'nades CAGiversary!   8804 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 02 January 2020 - 07:05 PM

STEAM HAUL POST!

SPOILERED cause it so long

Spoiler

#114108 The End   America's Sweetheart CAGiversary!   6215 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 02 January 2020 - 07:11 PM

This is the first sale period in 10 years where I didn't buy a single thing.

I wanted to tell you all this because I knew you'd all be fascinated by this piece of information.

#114109 gospelman   Irreducibly Complex CAGiversary!   2160 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 02 January 2020 - 07:16 PM

Also spent zero.  Turns out, steam store rolled out sales tax to my state months ago - I just now found out due to rarely/never buying anything anymore. 

Been basically just playing pc game pass and console-exclusive stuff. 

Finally "finished" slay the spire.  What a game.  Looking forward to the 4th character update.

Spoiler

#114110 inm8num2   The result is quite fresh and quality. CAGiversary!   3156 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

Posted 02 January 2020 - 07:29 PM

My haul so far:

Spoiler

Final haul:

Steam

MysterD's Epic Games Store

• More freebies!

Fanatical

Mega Pick-and-Mix Bundle - $3.79

Spoiler

Staff Pick-and-Mix Bundle - $1.99

Spoiler

Quantum Bundle - $2.99

Spoiler

Warreni holiday giveaway bonanza

• Moonlighter
  • The Invisible Hours
  • The Journey Down 3

#114111 DD83   'nives 'n 'nades CAGiversary!   8804 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 02 January 2020 - 07:32 PM

I didn't buy a single thing.

Also spent zero.

These two people saved MILLIONS of dollars thanks to the QUALITY of Steam Holiday Sale 2019!

And people say Steam sales suck!

#114112 Mooby   Herp Derp CAGiversary!   10843 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 02 January 2020 - 08:19 PM

This is the first sale period in 10 years where I didn't buy a single thing.

I wanted to tell you all this because I knew you'd all be fascinated by this piece of information.

I'm proud of you.  My word is spreading!

I considered picking up the DLC to Invisible, Inc. for like $1.12 but it goes on sale regularly enough and I didn't know if I wanted to get back into the game after already spending 50 hours on it.

#114113 nny   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   539 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 02 January 2020 - 08:32 PM

My steam haul was Death's Hangover for $0.50. 

Found it in a hidden gems thread and I'm a sucker for breakout games. I'm a little disappointed that it's so short. I beat it in under an hour, but still enjoyed it and it seems like there's a decent number of hidden stuff I can go back and get on replays.

#114114 Tibor   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   221 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 02 January 2020 - 08:40 PM

Also spent zero.  Turns out, steam store rolled out sales tax to my state months ago - I just now found out due to rarely/never buying anything anymore. 

Been basically just playing pc game pass and console-exclusive stuff. 

Finally "finished" slay the spire.  What a game.  Looking forward to the 4th character update.

Spoiler

I've enjoyed Slay the Spire so much that I bought the GoG version during the sale just to have an offline installer.

#114115 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9666 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 02 January 2020 - 09:05 PM

I bought stuff not really on sale or very little on sale. Did remove about probably a hundred or more games from the wish list though.

Baldr Sky was my must buy, and it just came out.

Hypnospace Outlaw

The Princess, the Stray Cat, and Matters of the Heart 2

Just stuff I will likely play within a month or so. That's it.

#114116 Mooby   Herp Derp CAGiversary!   10843 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 02 January 2020 - 09:18 PM

But people say Steam sales aren't getting worse?!?!?

#114117 mkaliaz   Scurvy Dog CAGiversary!   411 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 02 January 2020 - 09:24 PM

Been on steam for over 15 years.  Also bought NOTHING.  Yay?

#114118 IkedaTeramusa   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3234 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

IkedaTeramusa

Posted 02 January 2020 - 09:55 PM

Yep.... same here as the group, bought nothing during the Steam sale.  Bought Rebel Galaxy Outlaw from the Epic sale, otherwise nothing.  Feels weird, but I also think Steam called this one in...

....and they screwed up my library for which I will never forgive them.

#114119 Mooby   Herp Derp CAGiversary!   10843 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 02 January 2020 - 11:00 PM

Steam has been phoning-it-in since around 2012.

Edit to add:  I'm trying to remember the exact year or range but it's all hazy to me.  In the distant past (before bundle sites were really a thing) Steam would have five for $5 indie bundles and other quirky promos to go along with flash and daily sales.  Around the same time you had good ol' Amazon Tony getting some great deals for games with Steam keys on Amazon.  I guess the good news is that Tony eventually moved up the chain to a better position.  Hopefully he's still trending upwards because there was a guy who knew how to engage customers.

#114120 weretable   I'm your huckleberry CAGiversary!   941 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

weretable

Posted 03 January 2020 - 12:10 AM

I picked up The Witcher Tales because I have somehow convinced myself I'll play it soon, which I will not.  I also bought a few cheap games and some dlc.  And I bought Trine 4 which I have already played through with some friends, I will likely finish the achievements on it since multiplayer screws up a bunch of them and I liked it enough to go through it again anyway.  I had added quite a few things in my cart over the last few days and I have Steam wallet to spend on stuff but I ended up deleting my entire cart after thinking about how many games I have in my backlog.

I have played Lord of the Rings Online a bit lately because I used to play it a lot and I want to see the conclusion of the main story and see how they presented the later areas from the books.   The places I have seen look very nice for such an old MMO, Minas Tirith is massive and looks very nice.  Mirkwood, Lonely Mountain, Dale and other locations from The Hobbit are in game but I have not made it to them yet.  However the game is a mess these days.  The population is tiny in comparison to what it was even five years ago, when it had already dropped off by massive amounts from its peak.  It is horribly laggy, some areas are terrible to even play in even if almost nobody is around.  The endgame revolves around a grind that makes some of the Korean MMOs I have played and gave up on seem reasonable in comparison.   

One of the worst aspects is the legendary weapon system.  Players had been asking for some sort of catch-up mechanic for alts and returning players since one character might need to upgrade multiple legendary items and it takes months of grinding to finish one.  So they finally responded by briefly offering something in the store that would almost catch one weapon up for $60.00.  So yeah, I guess LoTRO is only limping along due to whales at this point.   I still intend to finish the solo bits of the game (minus the newest expansion since I have no intention of buying it) but after that I doubt I'll ever revisit it.  Unfortunate for what was once my favorite game but they have been working hard at driving away players for years so it is hardly surprising.