SlayerX11

Posted 06 July 2015 - 07:51 PM

And the VMU came out in 1998.

I miss my dreamcast :( rip dreamcast, never did get to play power stone 2

#30032 RedvsBlue  

RedvsBlue

Posted 06 July 2015 - 07:56 PM

And the VMU came out in 1998.

Dreamcast launched in September '99 (the only reason I remember it is because the release date was 9-9-99).

Sony's Pocketstation came out in January '99 though...

#30033 Kyanos   Big Kitty CAGiversary!   903 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 06 July 2015 - 08:00 PM

Respect to KnightOfTruth, litepink, angel98, and Kyanos. They generally seem to refrain from the characteristic caustic bickering in this thread. Thank you for the positive posts. Really lightens the mood during the lulls.

Now if only I could behave as well as you guys. :P

Hey, thank you for noticing! I don't post in here all that often, so I was certainly surprised to even see me mentioned. It's been kinda slow lately and I already have my 5a and Yarn Yoshi amiibo in hand so I haven't been checking quite as often.

#30034 DetectiveConanA113  

DetectiveConanA113

Posted 06 July 2015 - 08:04 PM

It was, but the original post seems like it was talking about the PSVita phones/tablets copying the Wii U controller.

Yeah, you're right. It was a bit misleading.

Dreamcast launched in September '99 (the only reason I remember it is because the release date was 9-9-99).

That's the US release date. The Japanese one released in 1998.

Also: damn, never heard of the pocketstation but, it's a total rip off of the VMU. It looks so similiar. Colors and all. Wow.

#30035 thorbahn3   News Editor Super Moderators   4224 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 06 July 2015 - 08:18 PM

Charizard is up on Wal Mart

http://www.walmart.c...do-3DS/44606832

#30036 elessar123  

Posted 06 July 2015 - 09:11 PM

I'm trying to only count things that had real-time dual-screen functionality. Pocketstation is more like a memory card with minigames in that respect, whereas the VMU had function while gaming on the Dreamcast.

#30037 Beatles   Cartoon Character CAGiversary!   4349 Posts   Joined 6.7 Years Ago  

Posted 06 July 2015 - 10:36 PM

You guys keep talking about VMUs and Im sitting here sad thinking about my Chao

#30038 david12795  

Posted 06 July 2015 - 10:54 PM

got another pit today from GS. i'm really glad NOA is finally giving a restock of all the rare characters, even if it's a horrible restock for each store. i was able to get on all of them, somehow. makes me wonder if this will ever be the last restock for marth, WFT, shulk, meta knight, pit, etc. 

wasn't there an announcement awhile back that villager reprint will be happening too? 

#30039 soonersfan60   Longing for retro CAG... CAGiversary!   4448 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

soonersfan60

Posted 07 July 2015 - 12:34 AM

I wouldn't put Sony in there. They had motion tech back on the PS2 with the EyeToy. Also had remote play first on the PSP / PS3. 

Nintendo had motion controllers for the original NES: Power Glove, U-Force, and GameHandler (the original one hand controller).

#30040 yourlefthand   Daddy Gamer CAGiversary!   1762 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

yourlefthand

Posted 07 July 2015 - 12:39 AM

Nintendo had motion controllers for the original NES: Power Glove, U-Force, and GameHandler (the original one hand controller).

Oh, right, that line of controllers that Nintendo didn't actually make...

#30041 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   9156 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 12:44 AM

Just imagine, this is the same conversation people will be having about virtual reality sets in three years when no one cares about them.

#30042 soonersfan60   Longing for retro CAG... CAGiversary!   4448 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

soonersfan60

Posted 07 July 2015 - 12:44 AM

I'm trying to only count things that had real-time dual-screen functionality. Pocketstation is more like a memory card with minigames in that respect, whereas the VMU had function while gaming on the Dreamcast.

VMU was actually based off of the Secret Screen prototype for N64 shown in the September 1997 edition of Electronic Gamiing Monthly.

#30043 Hinoshiko   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   172 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

Hinoshiko

Posted 07 July 2015 - 02:09 AM

All 3 Yarn Yoshi is up on Amazon.jp.

#30044 Ekim000   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   522 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 02:34 AM

All 3 Yarn Yoshi is up on Amazon.jp.

Thanks! Can cross those off my list now :)

#30045 litepink   it was love at first sight CAGiversary!   2966 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 02:42 AM

How much for all three shipped?

#30046 Ekim000   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   522 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 02:45 AM

How much for all three shipped?

No direct shipping to US from amazon.jp. You have to use a forwarding service like Tenso. Not sure how much, but probably <$10.

#30047 HelloooNurse  

HelloooNurse

Posted 07 July 2015 - 02:58 AM

Hey, thank you for noticing! I don't post in here all that often, so I was certainly surprised to even see me mentioned. It's been kinda slow lately and I already have my 5a and Yarn Yoshi amiibo in hand so I haven't been checking quite as often.

Nice to be ahead of the game. I seem to have worse luck with making foreign preorder windows than domestic haha. And I wish I'd paid more attention to AmiAmi and YesAsia before the Yarn Yoshi went up. Live and learn. 

Aside from the retro gaming discussion, you're really not missing much.

#30048 jkimrey   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2000 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 03:01 AM

Is the Line notification chat still around? If so, could someone please send me an invite? I was on the list before, but switched phones and for some reason the group isn't showing when I installed the app on the new phone...

#30049 ccval   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   32 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 03:19 AM

No direct shipping to US from amazon.jp. You have to use a forwarding service like Tenso. Not sure how much, but probably <$10.

Last time I bought one amiibo (Ness, which is light weight), it costs around $15 shipping (they charge 500 Yen for processing fees).  For 3, I will say around $25-30?  Maybe more since I'm not sure how much the Yarn Yoshi weights.

However, just want to mention, they did NOT warp or use any padding.  My amiibo arrived, of course, damaged.  I emailed them but they refused to do anything because they said unless the figure inside is damaged, otherwise...  They will not take responsibility even thought they didn't carefully pack or warp it, and they don't care.  And yes, they actually said that.

#30050 Mysticales   Battle Mystic Mystaria CAGiversary!   565 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

Mysticales

Posted 07 July 2015 - 03:25 AM

You guys keep talking about VMUs and Im sitting here sad thinking about my Chao

Kinda wish Steam or PSN would come up with a way to get an emulated Chao for our Sonic Adventures....

Btw my DC still works, I just need new cell batteries in my vmu..

#30051 sealand   micronation CAGiversary!   27 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 03:35 AM

Yarn yoshis are in stock on amazon.jp!

#30052 Ekim000   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   522 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 03:48 AM

Last time I bought one amiibo (Ness, which is light weight), it costs around $15 shipping (they charge 500 Yen for processing fees).  For 3, I will say around $25-30?  Maybe more since I'm not sure how much the Yarn Yoshi weights.

However, just want to mention, they did NOT warp or use any padding.  My amiibo arrived, of course, damaged.  I emailed them but they refused to do anything because they said unless the figure inside is damaged, otherwise...  They will not take responsibility even thought they didn't carefully pack or warp it, and they don't care.  And yes, they actually said that.

Right, I forgot the processing fee. I think my last order was around 900 yen for two amiibo, not including the 500 yen fee. I chose the slowest shipping. It took 2-3 weeks to deliver. I suspect the shipping cost doesn't scale drastically with greater weight.

#30053 prateeko   IN THE BUTT! CAGiversary!   2877 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 04:13 AM

So as far as GS restocks go should I call in each morning to see what they've gotten in or check online?

#30054 ThatOneGuyWho   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6897 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

ThatOneGuyWho

Posted 07 July 2015 - 05:01 AM

Matel / PAX made the Power Glove. Nintendo was not involved in the creation of it.

U-Force was made by Brøderbund and Nintendo had nothing to do with it.

GameHadler was a 3rd party controller that again, Nintendo had nothing to do with.

Sony on the other hand did all the work needed for the EyeToy. It tracked your body without accessories which was a first (as far as I know, I may be wrong) to do so commercially.

#30055 skiizim   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10212 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 05:18 AM

Most of you guys weren't even around when the power glove was released, what's this pointless bickering?!?!

Let your balls drop first and leave Google/wiki alone, does it tell you that the power glove was crap anyway? It was a glorified prop in a crap movie.

#30056 DetectiveConanA113  

DetectiveConanA113

Posted 07 July 2015 - 05:35 AM

Sony on the other hand did all the work needed for the EyeToy. It tracked your body without accessories which was a first (as far as I know, I may be wrong) to do so commercially.

I think the Sega Activator holds that "distinction", not sure though. Either way, it predates the eyetoy by about 10 years (1993).

Most of you guys weren't even around when the power glove was released, what's this pointless bickering?!?!

Let your balls drop first and leave Google/wiki alone, does it tell you that the power glove was crap anyway? It was a glorified prop in a crap movie.

Some see bickering, I see some people just conversing amidst a little bickering. I don't think anyone's arguing that the power glove was any good though..

#30057 elessar123  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 05:35 AM

I wish I was that young. I think.

#30058 ThatOneGuyWho   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6897 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

ThatOneGuyWho

Posted 07 July 2015 - 05:40 AM

I think the Sega Activator holds that "distinction", not sure though. Either way, it predates the eyetoy by about 10 years (1993).

I think it qualifies enough to be a starting point. Love to see old tech like that, especially of something I've never seen.

Here's a video of it for anyone interested in what it does.

Spoiler

#30059 skiizim   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10212 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 05:52 AM

Some see bickering, I see some people just conversing amidst a little bickering. I don't think anyone's arguing that the power glove was any good though..

lol.... It was just a little frustrating that the last post I read hours ago was the same thing I stumbled into later on. I guess to continue off topic, Sega introduced and even pioneered a lot of stuff before it's demise, the activator being one of them.

#30060 DetectiveConanA113  

DetectiveConanA113

Posted 07 July 2015 - 06:21 AM

I think it qualifies enough to be a starting point. Love to see old tech like that, especially of something I've never seen.

I do too. They may not work at all, but I always find it interesting to see how far gaming peripherals have come and continue to evolve.

I actually played with a Sega Activator once when I was a kid (my brother's friend had it). That guy in the vid got more of a response out of the one I tried, but I still thought it was amazing just because it existed.

lol.... It was just a little frustrating that the last post I read hours ago was the same thing I stumbled into later on. I guess to continue off topic, Sega introduced and even pioneered a lot of stuff before it's demise, the activator being one of them.

Yeah, I get it lol. I'm surprised the conversation is still going myself (I'm not helping at all but, I just love to talk/hear about gaming history).
Never really noticed until today how much Sega and Nintendo had in common. They both liked to innovate and push home consoles beyond better graphics.