* * * * - 8 votes

Official Mass Effect: Andromeda Discussion (Hype/Speculation/Anticipation)

#masseffect #andromeda #mea

#691 kcobra22  

Posted 15 March 2017 - 10:15 PM

Any of you EA Access folks able to preload yet? Or do we have to wait till midnight?

it's already live, here's the link:

https://www.microsof...da/bzpr04v49bmh

@ chubbyninja1319, did you get EA Access yet?

#692 Ryuukishi   My ambitionz az a Ryder CAGiversary!   11182 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Posted 15 March 2017 - 10:20 PM

I already preloaded a couple weeks ago, it's downloading a 1 GB patch right now then I think it'll be good to go!

#693 shrike4242   Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else. CAGiversary!   49876 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 15 March 2017 - 10:27 PM

I just "bought" the trial, so hopefully it's downloading to my X1 right now.  That way, when I have some free time later tonight, it'll be ready to go. 

#694 Spybreak9   $exy Game Scholar CAGiversary!   9435 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 15 March 2017 - 11:06 PM

Finally! Thanks for the heads up.

6/1 Days and Counting!

Mass-Effect-Andromeda-4K-Wallpaper.jpg

Edited by Spybreak9, 16 March 2017 - 01:39 AM.

#695 chubbyninja1319   Where's my stuff!? CAGiversary!   5406 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

chubbyninja1319

Posted 15 March 2017 - 11:32 PM

I have not.  I'm still planning to wait until Tuesday, but I'd be lying if I'm still not thinking about getting Access and the 10 hour trial.  To hear some of the gang 'round here playing and seeing the inevitable posts.....not sure I can withstand that temptation. 

And this is going to sound super nerdy, because it is super nerdy, but there is this 1000 piece Boba Fett mosaic puzzle I'm working on and I want to finish that before ME:A comes out, so I was going to try to wrap that up this weekend.  :oops:

And, for reference, if anybody hasn't already and wants to add me on XBL or PSN, my gamertags are in the sig below.  Feel free to add me to play the multiplayer or just to compare achievements, whatever. 

#696 chubbyninja1319   Where's my stuff!? CAGiversary!   5406 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

chubbyninja1319

Posted 15 March 2017 - 11:41 PM

Oh shit... wait.  So, the game is live.  NOW?  I just saw Ryuu has a cheevo already.  Holy crap.  Ho-Ly Crap.  

THIS IS IT GUYS!!!  

Ugh, must stay strong.  must stay strong.....

#697 AvengedBacklog   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   13143 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

AvengedBacklog

Posted 15 March 2017 - 11:59 PM

@ chubbyninja1319, did you get EA Access yet?

Thanks! Downloading it now. Hopefully can play a little before bed tonight...

#698 kcobra22  

Posted 16 March 2017 - 12:10 AM

Oh shit... wait.  So, the game is live.  NOW?  I just saw Ryuu has a cheevo already.  Holy crap.  Ho-Ly Crap.  

THIS IS IT GUYS!!!  

Ugh, must stay strong.  must stay strong.....

check PM's, sent you a 1 month code.

#699 chubbyninja1319   Where's my stuff!? CAGiversary!   5406 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

chubbyninja1319

Posted 16 March 2017 - 01:18 AM

check PM's, sent you a 1 month code.

Me getting that PM

tumblr_lqnrnmnKHf1qafrh6.gif

Thanks buddy!

#700 Spybreak9   $exy Game Scholar CAGiversary!   9435 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 16 March 2017 - 06:31 AM

Waited forever for it to download but I was watching hockey and didn't realize you can start at a certain percentage. I told myself I was gonna go and do multiplayer and leave the single player for when I experience the full game but I caved lol. Take into account I haven't seen anything about the game like previews or anything and have tried to stay spoiler free overall. Being as broad as I can be, you def can see the Dragon Age: Inquisition influence. The new dialogue process is similar of what we did in Inquisition and I'm fine with that. This isn't to be hard to expect as Dragon Age 2 had influences from Mass Effect 2, which previously came out that title. The exploration feels a little narrow but then again it was the first mission or so and you do have options of how you'll go about the mission. There's a lot of chatter and it feels quite lively with your squad and others. I've gone through and i'm at the third mission. There's a scene where you'll go oh shit. I wouldn't even spoiler tag it because it's def one to experience yourself. I've found the interactions with the A.I. seems natural and enriches how much the world feels alive and vast. I can't wait to dive back into it tomorrow. Oh and I went with Scott Ryder with Hardcore difficulty. From what I played, I enjoyed it and can't wait to get my hands on the full game.

I also set my Xbox One background to a screenshot I made, oohhh man can you remember when we used to pay for fuckin' themes!

Edited by Spybreak9, 16 March 2017 - 06:33 AM.

#701 Ryuukishi   My ambitionz az a Ryder CAGiversary!   11182 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Posted 16 March 2017 - 01:29 PM

Loving it so far. :) Took me a little bit to get used to the new combat controls-- I kept pressing A trying to get into cover and flying around instead. Walking around, talking to people, soaking up the lore-- this is Mass Effect!! (Two references to people and politics from the original trilogy had me practically twitching with excitement.)

I'm still very early, I just got access to the Tempest. I had to do the first mission (which is quite long and detailed for an intro mission! even has sidequests!) over again, because I just wasn't happy with how my Ryder looked. One of those things where he looked fine in the character creator, and then as soon as he's in-game, boom-- eyes too close together.

All in all, it's everything I wanted from current-gen Mass Effect and I've barely even gotten started. :)

#702 Tora Chan   Making gainz and taking names CAGiversary!   638 Posts   Joined 5.2 Years Ago  

Posted 16 March 2017 - 01:56 PM

How does ME: A import your past saves if you played Mass Effect on the Xbox 360?

#703 blinknot4   Not My President CAGiversary!   5886 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 16 March 2017 - 02:21 PM

I think I might abandon this thread for a while, fellas. I want to go in fresh and avoid any/all potential spoiler chatter. 

(I'm not saying you guys have done this, just taking preventative measures.)

#704 blueweltall   Kill the Batman CAGiversary!   6422 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

blueweltall

Posted 16 March 2017 - 02:26 PM

I heard the beginning is a slow start and the game gets way better later. I think most of the negative reaction so far is due to this. But I'm glad there's positive reaction so far in this thread because I trust your guys opinion.

#705 shrike4242   Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else. CAGiversary!   49876 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 16 March 2017 - 03:50 PM

How does ME: A import your past saves if you played Mass Effect on the Xbox 360?

Not sure it would, since ME: A starts at the time between ME2 and ME3 and finishes up 600 years later.   There's not much that would pull over between the two series.

#706 Tora Chan   Making gainz and taking names CAGiversary!   638 Posts   Joined 5.2 Years Ago  

Posted 16 March 2017 - 04:38 PM

Not sure it would, since ME: A starts at the time between ME2 and ME3 and finishes up 600 years later.   There's not much that would pull over between the two series.

Yeah that's what I didn't understand. The creators made a point to tell people to hold on to their old saves, but for what reason?

I thought at the very most you would be asked to fill in which decisions you made as Shepard in ME 1-3, but to keep the actual save data makes no sense.

#707 shrike4242   Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else. CAGiversary!   49876 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 16 March 2017 - 04:46 PM

Yeah that's what I didn't understand. The creators made a point to tell people to hold on to their old saves, but for what reason?

I thought at the very most you would be asked to fill in which decisions you made as Shepard in ME 1-3, but to keep the actual save data makes no sense.

The other question is how you'd get to those saves. I'm betting they would have to be moved to cloud saves for the X1 to see them, though what happens with them, who knows?

At the point ME: A starts, Shepard would have beaten the Collectors, Cereberus was still around and kicking, the Reapers were on their way as we find out from Arrival in ME2 and general consensus that the Reapers were on the way was pretty minimal.

#708 Spybreak9   $exy Game Scholar CAGiversary!   9435 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 16 March 2017 - 05:00 PM

Loving it so far. :) Took me a little bit to get used to the new combat controls-- I kept pressing A trying to get into cover and flying around instead. Walking around, talking to people, soaking up the lore-- this is Mass Effect!! (Two references to people and politics from the original trilogy had me practically twitching with excitement.)

Hahahaha, I did the same and on Hardcore, you don't want to jump jet out of cover lol. Also pressing "back", which is now the three lines or "View Button" brings up your weapon wheel and holding it will holster your weapon. Yeah I had to grow accustomed into that one too.

Ahhh, you spend time in the character creator for the timed trial? Rookie mistake.  [-(

#709 Tora Chan   Making gainz and taking names CAGiversary!   638 Posts   Joined 5.2 Years Ago  

Posted 16 March 2017 - 05:14 PM

The other question is how you'd get to those saves. I'm betting they would have to be moved to cloud saves for the X1 to see them, though what happens with them, who knows?

At the point ME: A starts, Shepard would have beaten the Collectors, Cereberus was still around and kicking, the Reapers were on their way as we find out from Arrival in ME2 and general consensus that the Reapers were on the way was pretty minimal.

What??? Excuse my ignorance, but I thought ME: A happened after Shepard defeated the Reapers in ME 3 and chose one of the 3 solutions. My dumbass coworker (who loves ME) told me ME: A would run on the premise that Shepard chose "Destroy", and ME: A is centered around finding suitable planets for humans to live on.

So Shepard is still alive in ME: A, and not just the Michael Jordan of space? If so it would be cool to meet him/her with Ryder.

#710 Ryuukishi   My ambitionz az a Ryder CAGiversary!   11182 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Posted 16 March 2017 - 05:16 PM

It does not. You just choose if Commander Shepard was male or female, that's the only thread from the old trilogy.

#711 Ryuukishi   My ambitionz az a Ryder CAGiversary!   11182 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Posted 16 March 2017 - 05:19 PM

What??? Excuse my ignorance, but I thought ME: A happened after Shepard defeated the Reapers in ME 3 and chose one of the 3 solutions. My dumbass coworker (who loves ME) told me ME: A would run on the premise that Shepard chose "Destroy", and ME: A is centered around finding suitable planets for humans to live on.

So Shepard is still alive in ME: A, and not just the Michael Jordan of space? If so it would be cool to meet him/her with Ryder.

The arks leave the Milky Way in 2185 (around the time of Mass Effect 2) and arrive in Andromeda in 2819. So the events of Mass Effect 3 happened over 600 years ago, but no one in Andromeda knows what happened nor does it affect them.

#712 Spybreak9   $exy Game Scholar CAGiversary!   9435 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 16 March 2017 - 05:27 PM

I heard the beginning is a slow start and the game gets way better later. I think most of the negative reaction so far is due to this. But I'm glad there's positive reaction so far in this thread because I trust your guys opinion.

You know I read this and went on with my day and it just kept staying in the back of my brain. So I'm gonna say what I'm thinking.

Of course it's slow! You're not military alliance here, you're a freaking employee under the Pathfinder organization. These are the guys who will go and scan the local fauna and shit lol.

#713 shrike4242   Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else. CAGiversary!   49876 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 16 March 2017 - 05:31 PM

Nope.  ME: A "starts" in-between the two games.  Like this:

http://www.gamespot....t/1100-6445195/

More specifically:

http://www.eurogamer...ndromeda-is-set

Your new character Ryder will leave the Milky Way galaxy on their 600-year journey to Andromeda in 2185.

That's the year that Mass Effect 2's events conclude, and that game's Lair of the Shadow Broker DLC takes place.

The following year, 2186, is when Mass Effect 2's Arrival DLC is set, when the Reapers actually invade the Milky Way, and when Mass Effect 3 begins.

By the time this happens, your ark ship (and four others) is already on its way to Andromeda, and its crew is in cryo-sleep. Hence, your characters will not have seen the Reaper war or how you chose to conclude it.

Or, if they are somehow informed after they awake, it already took place 600 years ago and was already resolved. Handy!

This places the main action of Andromeda somewhere in the region of 2785.

The arks leave the Milky Way in 2185 (around the time of Mass Effect 2) and arrive in Andromeda in 2819. So the events of Mass Effect 3 happened over 600 years ago, but no one in Andromeda knows what happened nor does it affect them.

Always makes me wonder why if we're that far ahead, we don't see Milky Way residents already out here, assuming the usual increases in drive speeds and the like over time.  Or, maybe we'll figure that out in game and I should just shut up about it? ;)

There's plenty of sci-fi stories about sleeper ships being sent out that take generations to get to their destinations and they run into future descendants who are already there due to technological increases that happen along the way. 

Like this:

http://www.gamespot....t/1100-6445195/

#714 Ryuukishi   My ambitionz az a Ryder CAGiversary!   11182 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Posted 16 March 2017 - 05:53 PM

Always makes me wonder why if we're that far ahead, we don't see Milky Way residents already out here, assuming the usual increases in drive speeds and the like over time.  Or, maybe we'll figure that out in game and I should just shut up about it? ;)

There's plenty of sci-fi stories about sleeper ships being sent out that take generations to get to their destinations and they run into future descendants who are already there due to technological increases that happen along the way. 

Wow, that's really interesting. I hadn't considered that possibility. Maybe the twist ending of Andromeda will be that Joker shows up wearing his Synthesis Hat. "Hey guys, I decided to drop by Andromeda, what's up? Everything going well?"

#715 shrike4242   Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else. CAGiversary!   49876 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 16 March 2017 - 06:21 PM

Wow, that's really interesting. I hadn't considered that possibility. Maybe the twist ending of Andromeda will be that Joker shows up wearing his Synthesis Hat. "Hey guys, I decided to drop by Andromeda, what's up? Everything going well?"

It wouldn't be that much of a surprise, though not trying to be a spoil-sport with this thought, that we see Milky Way people showing up during Andromeda on the assumption that drive speeds have worked up to the point of intergalactic travel being an option without sleeper ships. 

Then, it brings up the interesting question of what that ends up being, if it happens.....

#716 Spybreak9   $exy Game Scholar CAGiversary!   9435 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 16 March 2017 - 09:33 PM

Speaking of past crew members, I just did

Spoiler

5 Days and Counting!

30541099230_0b37c6115d_h.jpg

#717 shrike4242   Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else. CAGiversary!   49876 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 16 March 2017 - 09:40 PM

There's been some ugly articles of recent today, bitching about the animations being all wonky.  I hope there's some stuff in the day 1 patch that fixes it, or helps it out. 

Not cool to hear some of the ragging-on that's going on with it. 

#718 Spybreak9   $exy Game Scholar CAGiversary!   9435 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 16 March 2017 - 10:01 PM

They're most likely working on things, this is after all "early acess" and modern day games are never the same after day 1.

#719 shrike4242   Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else. CAGiversary!   49876 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 17 March 2017 - 12:19 AM

This is Bioware's flagship piece for a while.  They better have all hands on deck for fixing stuff out of the gate. 

#720 blueweltall   Kill the Batman CAGiversary!   6422 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

blueweltall

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:24 AM

Pretty sure there's going to be a day one patch.