- - - - -

RPG Thread XX has over 100 hours of gameplay

#301 JEKKI   JEKKI WOO FOO FOO CAGiversary!   7030 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 27 February 2017 - 04:12 AM

whooo~!! finished FFXV after roughly 70 hours!

by finished meaning I have no desire to do the remaining post-game stuff; I'm happy with what I have done 

(I did the easiest of the handful of post-game dungeons, not too tough but not fun either... cant imagine doing more of them).

I also was able to beat

Spoiler
thanks to youtube tutorial.

overall, I really enjoyed the game, it's just so strange that I find it so fascinating! of course it's not without its problems, but I really did love it.

and once the episodic DLC comes out I'll play those too! I'm now officially part of the problem, but I'm OK doing it for a game I really liked!

also apparently I'm only 3 trophies away from Platinum (unless the PS4 is hiding secret trophies), but they're all max level each character's individual skills (I only got Prompto to level 10). But no more grinding for me lol, so won't be getting any platinum here. 

next RPG will be Yakuza 0, but won't be able to start it until late March due to my travel schedule, so gonna enjoy some smaller non-RPGs in the meantime. 

#302 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   4992 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 28 March 2017 - 11:03 PM

Looks like Pillars II is . Too bad we can't actually have that skin. They look to be 113k from hitting the Sea Monsters & Fishing mile marker though. Would be nice to have. I still need to go through White March & Torment, but with Persona 5 out in a week, I think I'll hold off.

I also have a 50% off Tyranny coupon at the Paradox Store if you want it, Crotch. It's a Steam key, but of course it will eventually go lower down the line. I just have no use for the coupon and it expires at the end of May.

#303 The Crotch   There are ten sticks of dynamite waiting for you. CAGiversary!   14925 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Posted 29 March 2017 - 05:31 AM

Appreciated, but I already have it. And yeah, definitely go through White March - it has some pacing issues at times, but a lot of the best parts of the game are in it.

You see the Planescape EE announcement?

Posted Image

#304 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   4992 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 29 March 2017 - 11:15 AM

Yeah, I saw that enhanced edition announcement. I've been trying to remember if there are any big fan patches/mods that improved the game since you can't apply them to the new version. Granted I guess it doesn't matter that much since about a month ago I bought a $50 Steam Gift card on sale from Amazon and received 10 gift cards when it actually came.

I would have started Torment, but when the game released my computer started making some god awful noises that I didn't get fixed until the weekend with replaced parts. Otherwise I probably would have started that. Though I did just beat Mass Effect: Andromeda and I have to say that was the buggiest game I have encountered in a long, long time. I think I lost around 7 hours total through my playthrough and if I had set the game down for a day, I wouldn't have gone back to it for a very long time. Biowares writing has seriously gone to shit, but that's not to say the game didn't have a few decent moments.

#305 The Crotch   There are ten sticks of dynamite waiting for you. CAGiversary!   14925 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Posted 29 March 2017 - 05:56 PM

Fan patches are definitely worth it. Fixing Dak'kon's sword alone!

Posted Image

#306 Sir_Fragalot   wants Startropics 3. CAGiversary!   8594 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Sir_Fragalot

Posted 02 April 2017 - 02:36 AM

I feel kinda horrible I had to put down Zelda because Persona 5 is out on Tuesday.

Which on Tuesday begins my spring and summer of RPG's. Right now on the list I have Persona 5, Mass Effect Andromedia, Nier Automata, Divinity Original Sin, ESO Morrowind, possibly Valkyria Revolution. Those are the titles I know about...

125063.png808669.png
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#307 R. Kasahara   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4047 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 07 April 2017 - 01:09 AM

I'm still early in*, but Persona 5 is very, very good so far. One thing I like is that school isn't mostly just a backdrop for improving social skills (and Links) but feels more like a part of the plot.

Also, the Tokyo settings are giving me flashbacks to my trip there a couple of years ago. The neighborhoods and train stations look very true-to-life. I love it :D

A couple random observations/reactions (minor spoilers?):

A detail in one of the train stations:

Spoiler

The second obtained Social Link (or Compatriot or whatever they're called now):

Spoiler

* - Where I am right now:

Spoiler

sig.gif
2017 Completed Games || My gaming blog

:-({|=  The Video Game Soundtrack Deals Thread ~ Where and how to buy game music online. Oh, and deals, too!

#308 Indignate   Hell Yeah, I’m the Motherfucking Princess! CAGiversary!   18383 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Posted 07 April 2017 - 04:36 AM

Is anyone going to play Cosmic Space Heroine or is everyone Persona

I'm putting Wiis in Switch boxes and trading them into Amazon.

#309 Krymner   Yup, I think you're sexy CAGiversary!   2875 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 07 April 2017 - 05:21 AM

My Persona 5 gets here tomorrow! I beat Zelda just in time to start it. Can't wait, and trying to remain spoiler-free hasn't been easy.

#310 Indignate   Hell Yeah, I’m the Motherfucking Princess! CAGiversary!   18383 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Posted 07 April 2017 - 06:14 AM

So that's a no on Cosmic Space Heroine then...

I'm putting Wiis in Switch boxes and trading them into Amazon.

#311 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   4992 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 07 April 2017 - 10:52 AM

Blue, you mentioned Igor. Is that a reference to his new voice? His old Japanese VA died a while back, so the new one is a super deep voice. It seems they tried to match that consistency with the English VA too. It's very weird in both cases.

Is anyone going to play Cosmic Space Heroine or is everyone Persona

I own the game already, but will be playing it after Persona 5. Unless Trails in the Sky the 3rd releases before I beat Persona 5 (very unlikely). Since I'm still sick from an intestinal infection, I may be able to beat Persona 5 before it releases. Though the first few days of Persona 5 I didn't get much playtime in due to issues from my current sickness. So I'm not as far as I'd like to be considering the circumstances.

#312 R. Kasahara   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4047 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 07 April 2017 - 04:17 PM

I backed Cosmic Space Heroine, but yeah, P5 comes first. Maybe I'll dig into it once I've beaten Pokemon Sun, which I've been putting off mainly because of medical problems (which have improved lately). I'm pretty far in on that one-- currently on the fourth island-- so it's likely that'll happen sooner rather than later.

Blue, you mentioned Igor. Is that a reference to his new voice? His old Japanese VA died a while back, so the new one is a super deep voice. It seems they tried to match that consistency with the English VA too. It's very weird in both cases.

No, but his new voice did throw me off at first. Good to hear there's a legitimate reason for it. I don't want to unintentionally spoil anyone else on this even though it's early on, but:
Spoiler

Maybe it was something revealed in the preview trailers and such, but I stayed away from all that, so it threw me for a loop.
sig.gif

:-({|=  The Video Game Soundtrack Deals Thread ~ Where and how to buy game music online. Oh, and deals, too!

#313 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   4992 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 07 April 2017 - 04:35 PM

Ah, I didn't really pay attention to that enough for it to surprise me.

#314 JEKKI   JEKKI WOO FOO FOO CAGiversary!   7030 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 11 April 2017 - 05:52 AM

man I spent $25 on the FFXV season pass to play the new DLC Gladio.

$25 and I beat it in like 70 minutes lol; it's just a linear dungeon and a boss =P Hope I get my $25 worth down the line!!

(I did beat the score attack and extra boss tho... milking it for all it's worth!!)

I really wanna play Persona now!!! I have it but will be gone this weekend so don't wanna start it until next week.

I'm also playing Gargoyle's Quest for gameboy via 3DS VC, which is a real good game and has some RPG elements I guess... always wanted to play that game, and hope to play the rest of the trilogy too. 

#315 Action!   bwip CAGiversary!   7332 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

Posted 22 April 2017 - 11:24 PM

Love love love love loved Persona 5. 

Check out my art blog.      |      Trade List

Open for commissions. Ask me to draw for you.

#316 Krymner   Yup, I think you're sexy CAGiversary!   2875 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 15 June 2017 - 07:27 PM

I think this is the first E3 in several years where there's no big RPG announced or shown in playable form that I'm excited for. Especially now, since Persona 5 and FF XV have come and gone, there just wasn't anything shown that excited me as an RPG enthusiast.

Undertale is coming to PS4, so maybe I'll finally give that a try?

At least there's still the FF XII remaster in one month! :whee:

#317 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   4992 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 18 June 2017 - 01:44 AM

From E3 this year Mario + Rabbids took me by surprise being a strategy game in the same vein as XCom. I also hope Ni no Kuni II fixes all of the issues with the first game. I could never finish that game because the AI would constantly Fuck me over hardcore around halfway through the game or so. Also the gameplay that has been shown of Monster Hunter Worlds looks interesting. I've stayed away from it because I don't like playing those games on handhelds and the constant loading drove me nuts even when they put their enhanced versions on the Wii.

Definitely don't care about the FFXII port coming up though. I really don't like the combat system in it. My friend will likely be getting it digitally, so I'll probably leech it off of him and give it a try again to see if I can finish it as it's the only non-sequel from the main series I haven't beaten.

I think the next RPG I'm looking forward to is Ever Oasis on the 3DS releasing next Friday. I wish it had multiplayer co-op, but oh well. After that will probably be Ys VIII, Tokyo Xanadu eX+, Zwei: The Ilvard Insurrection and Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth. Everything else is a wait and see or wait for a discount. Still debating on Etrian Odyssey V though as I'm not sure if that will get a discount before it inevitably sells out.

I do have to say though that I really enjoyed Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception even though I normally don't like visual novels. Not that it will get much talk here, but I was pleasantly surprised by it. It is a bit easy on the gameplay side of things which is a little sparse.

#318 Strength&defiance   Dreamer, philosopher, poet - or as my partner would have it, an CAG in Training   34 Posts   Joined 0.4 Years Ago  

Strength&defiance

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:28 PM

man I spent $25 on the FFXV season pass to play the new DLC Gladio.

$25 and I beat it in like 70 minutes lol; it's just a linear dungeon and a boss =P Hope I get my $25 worth down the line!!

(I did beat the score attack and extra boss tho... milking it for all it's worth!!)

I really wanna play Persona now!!! I have it but will be gone this weekend so don't wanna start it until next week.

I'm also playing Gargoyle's Quest for gameboy via 3DS VC, which is a real good game and has some RPG elements I guess... always wanted to play that game, and hope to play the rest of the trilogy too. 

I'd really like to pick up FFXV, but I think I'll wait til they are done patching it and there's a complete version for a decent price. I've waited almost ten years, a few more won't hurt. 

#319 elessar123  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 06:26 PM

Ever Oasis looks great. It sounds exactly like Dark Cloud (or maybe Racettear, or Rune Factory).

Spoiler

#320 R. Kasahara   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4047 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted Yesterday, 12:20 AM

Beat P5 today, finally. That was an interesting nearly three months of my life :razz: Technically speaking, the PS3 version was pretty solid, aside from some audio hitching from time to time (which got especially bad during the endgame). And OMG, I am so glad I'd already bought the soundtrack; a certain boss theme won't leave my head.

Also... Makoto is best girl and you can't sway me from that position :razz:

Meanwhile, I beat Mario & Luigi: Dream Team earlier this week. I had to cheese the final battle with three time-freezing and one defense-lowering badge because it was so shockingly unfair. Definitely my least favorite game in the series, but at least it wasn't as bad as Paper Mario: Sticker Star.

Undertale is coming to PS4, so maybe I'll finally give that a try?

Do that! :)

I think the next RPG I'm looking forward to is Ever Oasis on the 3DS releasing next Friday. I wish it had multiplayer co-op, but oh well. After that will probably be Ys VIII, Tokyo Xanadu eX+, Zwei: The Ilvard Insurrection and Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth. Everything else is a wait and see or wait for a discount. Still debating on Etrian Odyssey V though as I'm not sure if that will get a discount before it inevitably sells out.

Ever Oasis looks great. It sounds exactly like Dark Cloud (or maybe Racettear, or Rune Factory).

Ever Oasis does look gorgeous, and sounds like it'd be right up my alley. I would love to check it out, as well as Cladun Returns, Ys VIII, and a few other recent/upcoming releases. However, my JRPG backlog is still unwieldy. My next must-have is Etrian Odyssey V, and I have a Japanese Switch copy of I Am Setsuna due in (it includes the English translation), but other than those, I think I'll be holding off on picking up anything else for awhile.
sig.gif