RPG Thread XX has over 100 hours of gameplay

It only fails to work if I'm ambushed since enemy placement is spread out in those cases. But any other fight starts all enemies in a clump so it's really a no brainer. I'm not exaggerating the damage output. If you equip the basic magic enhancements to your mage, it's total overkill. A Ryuudo combo is doing ~900 single target dmg but a Tio spell is doing 1.9k to the entire field and she always gets her turn before the enemy. Before her I was using Roan to the same effect. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Never played any game in the Grandia series so I'm not familiar with any of its quirks. That kinda reminds me of spamming the key item you get near the beginning of Breath of Fire 1 that made the beginning of that game a lot easier. Any time I find some sort of easy exploit like that in an RPG, I abuse the hell out of it, fairness and balance be damned. 

Second half of the game in Grandia 1 & 2 is pretty easy with AoE spells against trash encounters. I don't remember 3 well enough, but it probably worked the same.

I made a mistake in Fire Emblem Fates while playing on Classic but thanks to a bit of luck, I got through it. Was trying to level up the usual super weak unit you get in all Fire Emblem games but has high growth. Brought down the encounters boss low enough for them to finish and then I attacked with them. Apparently I discounted their skills because I was using ranged attacks to lower the bosses HP. So I attack in melee range with my super-weak unit who basically has 3 HP left and the boss activated Vantage. Thankfully I had that character paired and their defense bar was maxed, so the paired unit kicked in and blocked all damage. Don't think I'll forget what the Vantage skill icon looks like again.

Just beat Disgaea 3, and in less than 50 hours, surprisingly. The story was okay, I guess, but that dub was... not NIS America's best. Sapphire was particularly atrocious. There was too much fourth wall breaking in the script as well.

Loved the Geo Cubes, torn on Evilities, and generally liked all the other customization and battle system tweaks. Don't know if I'll play the epilogue yet. I should really just focus more on Bravely (about to start Chapter 4 there), plus the husband and I want to start Diablo III soonish.

Birthright finished. Played a lot better than Awakening but hooo boy was that some bad writing. Moving on to Conquest next, which by most accounts plays even better but also has a worse plot.

I can't compare yet. Beat Conquest last night and started Revelation. Going in an ass-backwards order, but I just can't get excited about Hoshido. Having a damned good time either way.

Well Crotch, It looks like there's an announcement Tuesday at 5PM PST from Paradox and Obsidian. The mention of the announcement is given after you finish said quiz:

http://humanresources.paradoxplaza.com/

I look forward to your upcoming hype game.

I haven't been playing Fire Emblem for a week now. Friend dragged me into Diablo 3 with him and that's taken up much of my time. Man, Legendaries and Sets drop so much easier now. I should probably get back to Fire Emblem.

The husband and I started Diablo III last night. After spending a couple of evenings beforehand trying out different classes, I'm playing a monk, and he's a wizard. We bumped up the difficulty from Normal to Hard after the first couple hours, since neither of us were expecting it to be as easy as it is, at least early on.

Also, still chugging away at Bravely, and also playing Pokemon Blue for the first time-- the first gen is the only one I haven't played in some form, so I decided to fix that :razz:

Well Crotch, It looks like there's an announcement Tuesday at 5PM PST from Paradox and Obsidian. The mention of the announcement is given after you finish said quiz:

http://humanresources.paradoxplaza.com/

I look forward to your upcoming hype game.
Yeah, I saw that. Presumably a WoD game, since Paradox's purchase of White Wolf was immediately followed by cries of "let Obsidian make a Bloodlines sequel".

I'd personally rather they do a Werewolf or Hunter game, since those were my favourite WoD settings (and the only Werewolf videogame got cancelled, anyway).

Apparently according to Paradox's Facebook page, it's not related to World of Darkness. Definitely sounds very WoD though and they could definitely just be saying that because they don't want to confirm anything until Tuesday. I wouldn't mind seeing anything from that universe, just so long as it's halfway decent. Outside of WoD, it could potentially be Obsidian's "Project North Carolina" resurrected from the dead. Either way, I guess we'll see next week.

And Blue, yeah, Diablo 3 is a ton easier now (well, at whatever patch version you're at as 2.4 is the current) in comparison to when they first released it. Getting through the final difficulty when it was first released was a major pain, especially in a group. I was basically forced to solo from Belial to Diablo because bosses basically insta-killed you on the highest difficulty. Shit was stupid ridiculous then and Diablo had more shadow phases. I only know of myself and I think Pookymeister that beat it on the highest difficulty before they patched it.

Back then you were also lucky to get a single legendary/set drop with a week of solid playtime and it probably wasn't even for your class, but with the current patch I get about one per minute or two of actual fighting and it's almost always for your class. Drops were less tailored to your class in general to promote the real money auction house and you couldn't share loot between party members (Still limited now though).

Everyone was freaking out about this...

jINMLej.png

... a while back, expecting Fallout: New (New) Orleans, but Josh confirmed that wasn't it. Could be A Thing, could be nothing.

And Blue, yeah, Diablo 3 is a ton easier now (well, at whatever patch version you're at as 2.4 is the current) in comparison to when they first released it.
We're playing the Ultimate Evil Edition on 360, so yeah, it's a recent version. The ridiculous legendary ring that the game gives you for linking up with your Battle.net account doesn't help either. I only remember needing to use a potion once during our entire session last night (we stopped after clearing out the first part of the Cathedral), and that was before equipping that thing. Wouldn't be surprised if we're compelled to bump up the difficulty again later on, but we haven't played enough on Hard to decide on that just yet.

(Also, sorry, only briefly skimmed the rest of your comment, as I'm trying to avoid whatever spoilers I can. I do enjoy that big, dumb Blizzard Lore sometimes ^^; )

I guess I became too oblivious to Diablo having an actual story. My bad.

As for the Obsidian/Paradox game, it's called Tyranny. Not much to go by on the trailer other than you being a henchman to an evil overlord, but the website has some nice screenshots at least. Though one looks like concept art rather than in-game shot. Noticed they're also going for stylized graphics a bit more this time around. It's also coming out this year, wat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc-WqIRNDKY

Oh hey so apparently the original pitch document for Diablo is a thing now.

Kinda neat. They'd originally planned on having a bunch of playable races in addition to the three classes.

EDIT: And it was fully turn-based - like, not even in the Baldur's Gate sense - and its business model was supposed to rely on a huge swath of $5.00 expansion disks. Pretty ahead-of-your-time there, Blizzard.

And then a third party company made the expansion, Hellfire. I definitely put a lot of time into the original Diablo and that expansion. Not sure I would've if it turned out any different. I wish they'd make some more Lost Vikings games though as I loved those. Played it a lot in co-op.

Grim Dawn is pretty new and said to be a great ARPG alternative to Diablo. Anyone play it?
I played Titan Quest and thought it was boring/empty as hell(Their previous ARPG). Grim Dawn is certainly a lot better I feel and plays quite well. They've since done better by making the world feel less empty and learned from their past mistakes. However completing quests in that game can be annoying/tedious as hell because all it says is "It's in this area!". Well, have fun running around looking for one vaguely specific thing if you want to complete some of these quests because it's not marked at all. Other than that I give it a passing grade.

I also prefer it to Path of Exile in terms of gameplay feel and I'm not a fan of their (Exiles) overly unnecessarily convoluted shit build trees/web/whatever the fuck it is. I don't really get my jollies by spending an hour just doing an initial read through of a build tree.

Just to note that I haven't actually beat Grim Dawn, but I've enjoyed what I've played and I'd rank it as one of the better ones easily. The person I've been playing with is hard to get him to continue longer games, so it's very slow going.

It's especially interesting to me that they went through the whole process of describing a roguelike and never once actually mentioned Rogue or any of its followers.

If there's stuff written in-character as Morte, then yeah, it's real.

EDIT: Christ, I'd forgotten a lot of this stuff.

There's no thirst or hunger meters, encumbrance, morality points or micro-management that gets in the way of you beating an opponent to death
PST has both encumbrance (though it never really comes up) and "morality points".

This pitch document is really bad.

yoyo talkin about RPGeeeeeeez~!!!

I finally beat Bravely D a few weeks ago... after not playing it for over a year, stopping at the chapter 5 where everyone stops, but the game has always been in the back of my head bugging me to finish it.

thanks goodness for 10+ hour flights, I spent some time prior remembering how to play the game, then jus googled all the best job combos.

20 hours later, game was done! and it's real good too! glad I played it; and I also beat the demo for Bravely 2!

I got the game on pre-order too, but doubt I'll play it...

I wanna start Xenoblade X finally, once I finish the other console game I'm playing (Fatal Frame 4), but in the meantime I need another portable game to play,

so I finally restarted Trails in the Sky! my original save on PSP had 25 hours in it, so now I'm starting all over on the PSPita!

should start Xenoblade sometime in April so lookin forward to dual wielding RPGs lol. 

who's George Wood? lol, my signature is Bill Clinton!

anywayz, jus beat Fatal Frame! but I got another trip coming up soon so I'll hold off on Xenoblade for a few weeks until I get back from it.

so in the meantime it's all Trails!

I'm on that Trails Train!

anywayz 2, is anybody else gonna go to Midwest Gaming Classic next month in Milwaukee?

holla at ya boy!!

George Wood was a strange man who hosted a strange public-access TV show called "Flights of Fantasy" in Maryland in the 90s. A group called NAVGTR later acquired the rights to his show and put it all online under the name "Gaming in the Clinton Years". Your signature picture is used in the intros to his rambling, nonsensical reviews.

so in the meantime it's all Trails!

I'm on that Trails Train!
Just a heads up that if you enjoy the game and actually beat it, you'll likely want to head straight into the direct sequel that picks up immediately after the end of the first game due to the ending. It's roughly twice at long as the first one, at minimum. Though if you want the true localization experience, wait four years to play the second game. That was pretty rough.

I wish more people would play them though. The series has really well done NPCs and also does really well with game lore.

FF XV release date got leaked September 30th 2016. There's also suppose to be a new demo for it today. You have to complete it to unlock an exclusive summon.

All this information is from Wario64 twitter account.

A decade of development and over six years since the last main installment (FFXIII in 2009). Talk about pressure.

There will be mad hype and colossal disappointment, as the pattern tends to go among this fanbase.

YOUUUU are the ocean's GRAY WAVES :-({|=

will she ever stop?
At one point she told me that she had a gift for me, and then she started singing that damned song.

Wrapped up Revelation the other night with my Dragonstone-focused Corrin and transformer army. I'm not exaggerating when I say I don't remember the last time Velouria took damage.

Started BIrthright. Finally have to betray my beloved Nohrians, but I've come this far. Might as well see it through.

Defensive units seem really powerful in Fates (or at least Birthright). The challenge boils down to not tripping over the point on the field that aggros the powerful units towards the back.  All of my restarts have been result of having an archer or mage step one tile too far and triggering some elite unit who will travel max distance to one-shot it.

Instead, you just send a tank unit over that line, aggro everything, and then have the DPS come in for a safe clean up.

I would notch the difficulty up at this point but unfortunately it can only be adjusted down. I guess I'll try a harder setting with Conquest when I pick that up.

Also, I married a unit like 15 chapters ago and have done the Bonding at every opportunity. I think I only just hit first base. Does it really take this long to have children or am I missing something?

Too bad you only have, like, three units that can take a hit in Birthright.

As soon as two characters S-Rank, they have their kid. You recruit them by doing their paralogue. The bonding thing is mostly unnecessary; it unlocks an accessory and I think that's about it?

Ohh it's a side mission then. rarely looking at those. 

FFXV conference summary:

- Sept 30th 2016 release

-  Brotherhood: 5 episode anime series prior to game release

- Kingsglaive: full length CGI film prior to game release, featuring voicework of Lena Headey, Sean Bean, Aaron Paul

- some absurd pinball game coming to iOS/and/windows and also playable in FFXV world

- FFXV Platinum demo releasing tonight, play as young Noctis in dream scenarios, mess around with battle system as adult

- collector's edition available to order now, very limited.

- also they have an FFXV audi r8

- not sure where the money is coming from.

- Hajime Tabata, the director, looks like he hasn't slept in days.

Paralogues scale based on how far you are in the main game, too. The enemies are generally a little stronger, so doing a few of them is huge for EXP.

Main missions do not scale, no.

EDIT: The kids are generally pretty underwhelming. The only one that I've really liked so far is Silas' daughter, who is basically a retread of Cynthia from Awakening. 'Cause Cynthia fuckin' owned.

bread's done
Back