RPG Thread XX has over 100 hours of gameplay

man that Final Fantasy hype is real... I went to the event and ppl were cheering their butts of like none of this shyt got leaked earlier lol.

I even bought the $300 version of the game... I dont even want it! shyt, I dont even got a PS4! but now I got a game that costs more than the system does >_<

George Wood was a strange man who hosted a strange public-access TV show called "Flights of Fantasy" in Maryland in the 90s. A group called NAVGTR later acquired the rights to his show and put it all online under the name "Gaming in the Clinton Years". Your signature picture is used in the intros to his rambling, nonsensical reviews.
oh yah yah! those reviews are the shit!!

seriously tho, if more reviewers took example of those vids and made reviews more like that instead of the stuff we have today, we wouldnt have all this ethics in games journalism crap you see on the internet these days...

Just a heads up that if you enjoy the game and actually beat it, you'll likely want to head straight into the direct sequel that picks up immediately after the end of the first game due to the ending. It's roughly twice at long as the first one, at minimum. Though if you want the true localization experience, wait four years to play the second game. That was pretty rough.
twice at minimum?!?!?! aint nobody got time for that!!

shyt I got a lot of other games I wanna play lol... I've already made it 5 hours into Trails and I'm not even past the prologue yet!!

I'm jus enjoying the fact that I'm not getting my butt kicked yet lol.

twice at minimum?!?!?! aint nobody got time for that!!

shyt I got a lot of other games I wanna play lol... I've already made it 5 hours into Trails and I'm not even past the prologue yet!!

I'm jus enjoying the fact that I'm not getting my butt kicked yet lol.

Trails in the Sky FC is around 35-45 hours typically.

Trails in the Sky SC is around 75-100 hours typically.

I was on the lower end of the spectrum, but plenty took longer. Most of that would be attributed to talking to every NPC after every plot advancement as the NPCs have more interesting stuff to say compared to other games. The rest of the time would be completionist stuff.

Finally played Undertale this weekend, twice. Got to an ending and almost immediately started a pacifist run right after. Excellent, excellent game, and a pretty thoughtful deconstruction of RPGs. I can see why the internet loves this game, and also, was glad to see that there's much more to it than goofy skeletons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Playing my first DQ and having a good time. It's DQ III (aka Dragon Warrior III) on the Gameboy Color, running the default setup (Mage, Warrior, Cleric, and me as the main hero). Didn't know you could customize party composition by talking to the NPC on the second floor   :wall:  Great OST.

Chapter 25 now in Birthright, these final missions are rough. Just a game of guessing who isn't going to be one shot! But I like that aspect a lot. I could go without the castle hub experience, though. 

How attributes work and what they do was a hotly debated - and regularly changed - element of Pillars of Eternity's Beta, and even post-launch, stats were still getting changed around. Lead designer Josh Sawyer has a real neat GDC talk on it here.

props to ya... how times have changed, cannot commit more than 20hrs to a freaking game now adays.. i remember putting huge time in alundra, bof 3, xenogears, grandia, chrono cross, FF....

not sure if its a good thing but torch has been pass to offsprings...

Read through Undertale's Genocide route at the LP Archive (it starts from this update - spoilers, of course). WOW, it sounds hard, and the story bits are pretty crazy too...

Finally getting around to starting Suikoden III. Guess I can't transfer my Suikoden 2 data, so I hope I'm not missing out on anything great? I've started with Hugo's story first. So far it isn't too bad.

I kinda got turned off the Undertale about halfway through. I enjoyed the story and combat. I also understand one person made the game, but I got bored of the sameish level design. I felt like all I was doing was going in one single path and without deviation.

Since Tokyo Mirage Sessions X #FE and Star Ocean 5 are releasing pretty much in the same week I decided to really take a break from RPGs. Because I know once those hit, my life will be devoured by RPGs until the end of the year.

DQ III is good ya'll. Pretty oldschool layout which I've grown to hate but they really make the random battles interesting compared to FF1-FF4. I'm at the pyramid temple and having to retreat over and over. Field of view is so small it's hard to get bearings on where the next entrance is before getting hit by another encounter. Eventually have to teleport the fuck outta there and come back a little stronger. That's the kind of oldschool JRPG I like, where encounters hit you hard and make you think about command input. Really impressed and may try a modern Dragon Quest after this.

I booted up Mass Effect again and can never get over how much I love the film grain and rocky camera of the original. Hope Andromeda is released this year and has no relation to the end of 3.

How attributes work and what they do was a hotly debated - and regularly changed - element of Pillars of Eternity's Beta, and even post-launch, stats were still getting changed around. Lead designer Josh Sawyer has a real neat GDC talk on it here.
It was pretty interesting, but man did he start off really bad and also added a couple of bad jokes that really only sound decent in your head. I would've done attributes a little bit different mainly because having a high Might wizard to me would mean that he can beat shit to death with his staff. Though I can see where they're coming from by trying to bridge the gap to try and balance the game as best as they can. I feel they did a decent job with that, however it just feels wrong when I look at the attributes.

I still need to get around to playing White March.

Eh. "Muscle wizards" are common enough in fantasy fiction and just having a high Might doesn't really do a lot for a melee wizard (though melee wizard builds are perfectly viable - you just have to know what you're doing with your buff spells). I've played enough D&D to hate its attribute system - a lot of which is based on what "feels right" - through-and-through though, so Pillars' consistent, abstracted approach really appeals to me. Only real complaint I have about it is that I don't like purely defencive stats like constitution.

aw yah, I'm back from my trip, and finished Chapter 2 of Trails at like 24 hours, and now am ready to start Xenoblade X.

except I'm not ready to start Xenoblade coz the Trails train is way too strong!!! gotta keep it going!!

also picked this up at MGC:

rA54d4wl.jpg

all I need is Nier and I have all my next gen RPGs that I want in my backlog lol. Wonder if I'll actually play it tho.

Trails in the Sky FC is around 35-45 hours typically.

Trails in the Sky SC is around 75-100 hours typically.

I was on the lower end of the spectrum, but plenty took longer. Most of that would be attributed to talking to every NPC after every plot advancement as the NPCs have more interesting stuff to say compared to other games. The rest of the time would be completionist stuff.
75 hours?!?! geez, aint nobody got time for that!!

man, my favorite website doesnt even quote the game that high:

http://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=31863

You know you want to use it.

75 hours?!?! geez, aint nobody got time for that!!

man, my favorite website doesnt even quote the game that high:

http://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=31863
I may have included sidequests in the time, but you're more than likely to do them on the first playthrough. If you're strictly adhering to a guide and doing just the main story or doing a NG+ run off of a save, then it will take significantly less. I don't think I've seen anybody actually claim they've beat it less than 60 hours on their first run, but I'm not really looking out for that either.

Finished Dark Souls III at 24 hours clocked. Took me half the game to realize that shields were pointless and to just start playing like it was Bloodborne. Worked out.

Incredible game, nonetheless.

Finished Hugo and Chris's chapter 1's in Suikoden 3 and on Geddoe's first chapter now. The game is alright so far, I just really hate the lack of camera control, and some of the angles are just off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDTwO0TlwOU

... except, like, for NieR instead. Which is $10 right now.

Anyone playing Bravely Second? I need some friends :wave:
Kinda. I've stalled my progress temporarily in Chapter 2 or 3, but am still updating daily and leveling my ship. If you want another ship and potentially some higher level jobs on a character, you're welcome to add me. Not sure if updating renews the same friend attack for others though. Code is 3625-8330-9496, but tell me if you add me otherwise I probably won't notice until I stop playing as I just let the game sleep while plugged in.

Will probably go back to it in a week'ish.

ahhhh 43 hours into Trails FC and I'm finally burnt out lol... need a palate cleansing game before I continue lol.

I may have included sidequests in the time, but you're more than likely to do them on the first playthrough. If you're strictly adhering to a guide and doing just the main story or doing a NG+ run off of a save, then it will take significantly less. I don't think I've seen anybody actually claim they've beat it less than 60 hours on their first run, but I'm not really looking out for that either.
I've done all the Bracer mission sidequests, but having read some of the gamefaqs walkthru apparently there's other sidequests I missed out on!

furthermore, you can get a "perfect score" in this game which I'm like a few points off from based on what the guides tell me my BP should be at... so I wonder how I lost those points.

regardless, for a very linear game that allows for no backtracking at all, there sure is a lot of stuff you can miss out on in this game lol.

but seems to be all weapons and orbs that make you that much stronger, in a game that really is not too difficult to begin with.

just so looooong lol.

in other news, I bought Dark Souls for $5 off humble bundle store! still never made it past like 4 stages in Demon Souls tho lol

I'm still trudging thru the Chapter 2's of the characters in Suikoden 3. Been working alot of hours so I haven't had as much time to sink into it as I'd like.
I think that's about as far as I got before I lost interest. ...or another game came along, I can't remember, it's been like 10 years or some unforsaken number.

I think its what stopped me from continuing the series after that. Didn't feel anywhere near the same as the first two to me.

I'm sure he'll get a kick out of it in 3 months if he doesn't die.
I was wondering when he would begin his pilgrimage for the ultimate maple syrup. Normally I notice, but I guess I haven't been reading around enough this year.

That's kinda creepy, but not surprising. What's surprising to me is the number of people that still play Neverwinter Nights.

I'm still trudging thru the Chapter 2's of the characters in Suikoden 3. Been working alot of hours so I haven't had as much time to sink into it as I'd like.
Robust modding tools keep people around for quite a long while. Too bad games that come out these days don't come close.

I could never really get into Suikoden 3. It made me hate the whole changing main characters throughout the story so much. I feel it's a stupid mechanic that makes me lose interest in the characters I'm playing. Would have been more receptive if I could have picked one and played it through to completion and then went on to do one of the other characters stories.

oh whaaaaaat?!?! Trails in the Sky?!?!

more like Trails in the Done!

or Done in the Sky!

or Trails FC!

where the F stands for Finished!

and the C stands for Complete!

52 hours! and according to one of my previous posts, I started on 03/22/2016, so a little over 2 months!

so I guess it's finally time to start up Xenoblade!

wonder if I'll stick to that game thru the end... or wonder how many hours I'll put in it til I take a break lol

I think that's about as far as I got before I lost interest. ...or another game came along, I can't remember, it's been like 10 years or some unforsaken number.

I think its what stopped me from continuing the series after that. Didn't feel anywhere near the same as the first two to me.
It does feel like a huge shift away from the first two games, but it's growing on me. I'm only about 20-something hours into it, and its still pretty slow to reveal the plot up to this point, whereas the first two games set things up pretty quickly and moved along at a more brisk pace. Suikoden 3 just kinda keeps repeating itself in these opening chapters and still hasn't went anywhere.

I could never really get into Suikoden 3. It made me hate the whole changing main characters throughout the story so much. I feel it's a stupid mechanic that makes me lose interest in the characters I'm playing. Would have been more receptive if I could have picked one and played it through to completion and then went on to do one of the other characters stories.
I believe you can play all three of the characters one at a time, like all 3 Chris chapters, then all 3 Hugo chapters, etc etc....I'm just doing it so nothing gets spoiled, because there's a lot of repetition so far in some of the chapters. I like how some other games do this multi-character chapter stuff better, like DQ IV.

oh whaaaaaat?!?! Trails in the Sky?!?!

more like Trails in the Done!

or Done in the Sky!

or Trails FC!

where the F stands for Finished!

and the C stands for Complete!

52 hours! and according to one of my previous posts, I started on 03/22/2016, so a little over 2 months!

so I guess it's finally time to start up Xenoblade!

wonder if I'll stick to that game thru the end... or wonder how many hours I'll put in it til I take a break lol
Congrats Jekki! Good luck with Xenoblade. It's a pretty big time-sink too. I plan on getting back to it sometime later this year.

Looking forward to Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE later this month. I'm trying not to watch too many of the promo videos they keep releasing so the story doesn't get spoiled. I'm going to make a big push to complete Suikoden 3 in the next couple weeks. Just finished with all the chapter 2 stuff and starting on the chapter 3's.

whoooo~!!! happy friday / happy weekend!!! we finally made it!!

think I'll start Xenoblade tonite!!

Congrats Jekki! Good luck with Xenoblade. It's a pretty big time-sink too. I plan on getting back to it sometime later this year.

Looking forward to Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE later this month. I'm trying not to watch too many of the promo videos they keep releasing so the story doesn't get spoiled. I'm going to make a big push to complete Suikoden 3 in the next couple weeks. Just finished with all the chapter 2 stuff and starting on the chapter 3's.
aw man, I also got that Tokyo Mirage pre-ordered... cant wait to put it in the pile of backlogged games alongside my huge stack of sealed PS2 games.

aw man, now that I think about it, I do still have a bunch of sealed PS2 / DS / 3DS / PSP games >_< wonder how much I can get on ebay lol.

but yah, I also got Shiren the Wandere and 7th Dragon on preorder for July,

a kickstarter entitlement to Costmic Star Heroinne,

FF15 preorder, despite not owning a PS4 (I'll buy on during black friday season lol)

and I wanted to play I Am Setsuba, but it's not coming out on Vita, and they havent released the PC requirements yet (which I doubt I can handle)

crossing my fingers for a Persona 5 release date at E3,

yah after Persona I hope they never release another video game ever until 2019 at least.

In Chapter 8 of Bravely Default right now and hoping to beat it soon. May post longer impressions once I'm done, but all I have to say for right now is:
fuck Airy.

Also, up to six gym badges in Pokemon Blue. Afterward, it took me awhile to figure out how to get Surf, but I got it! Have started to cross some water and initiate a bunch of random battles against low-level Tentacools :razz:

In between those, been reading The Dark Id's FFX Let's Play. Just got done with the wedding scene, which, as the commentary points out, is dumber than I remembered.

crossing my fingers for a Persona 5 release date at E3,

yah after Persona I hope they never release another video game ever until 2019 at least.
It's just been announced for Valentine's Day of next year. I'm cool with it. Got waaay too much to play right now... plus I'm a Cosmic Star Heroine backer too, and am keeping an eye on 7th Dragon III and I Am Setsuna. Oh, and I still haven't picked up the latest Mario & Luigi, or preordered Pokemon Sun...

Remember when the PS3/360 first came out several years ago, and everyone was all "Where the RPGs at, yo? Where they at? When they coming?" And nobody had an answer cause RPGs were dying or something. Now everyone is "Hold up! I got too many RPGs! Mercy!" Ah, what a wonderful world.

Dang these Chapter 3's are long in Suikoden 3. Some of those Chapter 2s were super short and I was expecting to be done with the 3's by now. Ah well, just 1 more to go now. 

There really are too many RPGs! I'm still catching up on stuff from last gen!

Hopefully there aren't too many more 140+ hour monsters in my backlog like Bravely Default until P5 arrives. And oh yeah, just beat Bravely. That final boss battle was WAY too long...

Also,
fuck Airy.

Suikoden 3 is Sukio-DONE. Despite its problems with the chapter system and the wonky camera, I will say it's my overall favorite of the first 3. I think 2 had a better story, tho. Might be awhile before I move on to 4 and 5, since I'll have to hunt those down on disc and buy a PS2, since I doubt neither will ever make it to the Playstation Store, especially since its so late in the PS3's life.

At least I now have the slate cleared for Tokyo Mirage Session #FE next week. From what little I've read of it, it's not a very long RPG.

If you ever do get around to playing 4, then make sure you figure out what button is the "sprint" button for boat travel. The game never advertised it and most people never knew it existed, which is where a lot of the hate comes from (boat travel being slow).

I'm at the end of Atelier Sophie myself, but I'm a little slow going on it thanks to Overwatch. I need to get my alchemy up to 45 (from 36) before I proceed with the story any further and craft a specific item. It's not necessary to finish the game though. I guess I'll need to decide what to move on to next as well. There are a lot of choices for me currently which are more recent games.

Congrats on finishing Suikoden III, Krymner :)

I just got done writing a looong review of Bravely Default; it's here in case anyone's interested.

Don't know what RPG I'll start up next. After Bravely, it's gotta be something I know will be on the shorter side, so probably Mario & Luigi: Dream Team or Evoland II. I also have to finish Pokemon Blue; only have one gym badge left to get, then it's on to Legendary hunting and the Pokemon League.

I'll eventually get back to Bravely Default. I don't even remember where I left off. I haven't even picked up my 3DS in months. It needs a new Dragon Quest game to get it active again.

I think after Tokyo Mirage, I'm going to get back to my classic RPG backlog with the Persona series on the PSP, starting with the first one, then make my way thru the two Persona 2 games, then finish up with P3P.

bread's done
Back