RPG Thread XX has over 100 hours of gameplay

I think it fits. Have you been playing it? Is it any good?

I'd like to try out the previous XCOM, but am waiting to see if my husband will ever finish it/pick it up again. He's currently procrastinating on Baldur's Gate II.

Oh, and I recently started Disgaea 3 (not much else to say besides that it's Disgaea) and am still playing Bravely regularly.

Kinda sad the last expansion for Witcher is coming out late first half of the year now. Since I took a break from Witcher my plan was to go back and play the game through with all the expansions installed. Guess I got to wait now. Not that I don't have enough to play, it's just been wanting to get back into Witcher.
Honestly, I don't think there's a reason to wait. I went through my second playthrough with the first expansion installed, and it didn't add anything. I messed around killing level 35s at level 10 or something, but it wasn't like you can access anything useful.

I've been playing it and it's good - better than EU - but it has its issues, mostly technical in nature. Sluggish menu screens (particularly the hacking and room building interfaces), fairly frequent bugs (especially seeing/attacking through walls), and horrid optimization (disable AA before you do anything) and memory leak issues.

But it's good.

XCOM dating sim? SOLD Make that DLC happen!

I'd like to try out the previous XCOM, but am waiting to see if my husband will ever finish it/pick it up again. He's currently procrastinating on Baldur's Gate II.

Oh, and I recently started Disgaea 3 (not much else to say besides that it's Disgaea) and am still playing Bravely regularly.
I've started Disgaea 3 about four times and never played more than a few hours. Its okay, but I just have never gotten into it much.

I'm almost done with P4Golden. At the bonus dungeon you can do towards the end of the game. I will say its been a great game, with a lot more additions than I had expected, both story and gameplay. I've maxed out all the Social Links, found/fused all the personas, done all the quests, and gotten everyone's final persona evolution. If I do a NG+ play-thru, I'll wanna go for reading all the books, building all the models, and doing more character interactions and not focus so much on social links, building up stats, and doing the quests.

Anyone know how is Persona 3 Portable compared to P4G? Besides the female MC addition, is there very much new content? I am thinking of picking this up next time there's a Persona games sale on the PSN (probably around the time P5 is released I'd imagine).

Last edited by a moderator:
To clarify: if you have proper LOS to an enemy but your character's animation has them attacking through a wall, that's normal. It's just the animation not taking into account the presence of an object.

But sometimes you just inexplicably see through two sets of walls, or someone (who's not a faceless) makes a melee attack through a solid wall, or...

i see. yeah i get melee through walls very often. 

great game though. the decision making has big consequences and has me dependent on creating those just-in-case Save files. the highest difficulty prevents this and is an iron man, right?

Iron Man is a toggle that you can put on any difficulty level. Game's too damn buggy for me to use that mode, though.

snipers have such low accuracy. i guess it would be unbalanced otherwise but still, lame.

Also 5 hours into Grandia II. lots of AOE spell spamming in this game, or at least that's been my approach.

Snipers don't have particularly low accuracy, but squadsight accuracy ate a nerf in X-Com 2. In EU, they had the same accuracy at fifteen squares as they did at fifty. In 2, extremely long-range shots are punished. Sharpshooter might be my favourite class in 2, honestly. Squadsight got nerfed (because it needed to be) and moved to a tier-one ability (because it needed to be one) and unlike in EU, the pistol-centric abilities are fun and powerful.

[customspoiler='Causing damage to rocks is awesome though']
rock.jpg
[/customspoiler]

I'm with Crotch on this. It's a great game and can be played through currently, but not really to its fullest potential until some more patches come out. It's marred by a lot of little bugs and some serious issues with a couple of settings that shouldn't really exist with a game of this graphical fidelity or gameplay. Though the foliage in that screenshot above is pretty nice.

Pistols are definitely better than the previous game and they did indeed nerf squadsight. It's still damn good and Kill Zone is brutal... when it doesn't bug out. I'm having the most fun with my katana wielding rangers and various grenade types on my grenadiers. I also like that mods aren't equipped in the utility slot anymore but somewhat saddened that I can't remove them once equipped. I don't know how it works with weapon upgrades as I didn't really use them until I got plasma weapons. I pimped out my sniper and wish I had more superior mods to spread the love.

[customspoiler='Best class though? Tree class.']
treeclass.jpg
[/customspoiler]

I read that there's a bug with that ability. It blocks everything properly but acid. My PSI Trooper can learn the ability but I've been selecting other ones. I haven't really taken them into battle yet either, but at this point I should be able to as they have a few decent abilities finally.

wish i could shut off everything to do with this stand-in corporal guy who calls me commander, especially when it seems he's the real commander while i'm just a floating camera. same with the optimus prime cerberus guy. just a lot of annoying dialogue/event triggers in missions and out of missions.

It was a problem in EU - hell, a bigger problem in EU - and I'm pretty surprised Firaxis didn't eliminate entirely. Locking the camera in place so I can listen to Bradford whine about a single civilian on the opposite side of the map dying on the first turn of a fight is preeeeetty bullshit.

Well, I've now seen the biggest bug yet in X-Com 2.

A lancer got a couple steps into its movement, the game hitched, and then suddenly he was right on top of my grenadier. He attacked (missed), and then got shot by an overwatch that he should have already triggered. He then ceased existing for a couple seconds and reappeared in another location about 1.5 moves away before attacking me again.

EDIT: Oh hey it's not just me.

http://www.twitch.tv/sa_jadestar/v/42499989

Also, what the fuck?

Yeah, I tested that caps lock thing finally and my 30+ second load times were cut down to a 1-3 second freeze and then I was able to hit 'Continue'.

Also, that final mission is bullshit compared to the others. The difficulty just doesn't even remotely compare to anything else in the game. Of course I crashed during the final cutscene, so I just youtube'd it. Not that it would've mattered anyways since I lockup during cutscenes anyways and have only seen a small amount before it locks up and then skips back to the gameplay.

Time to bring on Fire Emblem so I can crash on burn with all the SRPGs I've been playing lately. I don't think I'll touch another for at least 6 months if not a year. I have a hard enough time playing them usually as it is.

Just getting Birthright for now. I figure I'll play that, swing back to Pillars of Eternity for another run now that White March 2 is out, then do the other two Fire Emblem campaigns.

Ended up getting the CE preordered, so we'll see how that goes. I played Awakening preeeetty hard when it came out, so I won't be surprised if I just marathon all three campaigns.

I have the Special Edition ordered as well. I'm still torn on whether I'll start with Conquest or Birthright. I'm thinking that since I've played way too much of the SRPG genre these last 3 months that I'll probably start with Birthright. It's the easiest of the three and supposedly has the better story. After which I'll do Conquest and then Revelations. Not sure if I'll play something in between stories though. Depends how burned out I am with SRPGs after completing the first campaign.

I do wish people would stop comparing its dual versions to Pokemon though. I blame poor marketing and their decision to separate them instead of a single game with the third story DLC.

I also have a month to think of an epitaph for Torment. Need to come up with something clever while not being dumb or out of scenario.

A lot of the "Birthright is easier" stuff is also just a matter of "Birthright allows grinding". From what I've heard, if you do zero grinding, Birthright can actually be harder. Conquest also varies up its map objectives more, so it's actually possible to lose even with phoenix mode.

Also, given that the epitaphs in Pillars were uniformly, unambiguously garbage, I wouldn't worry too much about Torment?

That could be. I feel like when grinding is available, the majority of vocal players tend to almost exclusively say a game is too easy. I'll still probably go with Birthright so I don't blow a fuse for the genre and end up dropping the game indefinitely. At the very least, I'll be able to see the cutscenes through and enjoy what is supposedly considered the better story experience.

There were a few clever epitaphs in Pillars, but yeah most were pretty garbage. If I don't come up with anything I'll just leave it blank which I feel is fine as well. I just hope they implement it to where it's not so obtusely placed like the backer NPCs are in Pillars.

I ground the shit out of Awakening. Not because I wanted to level people up, but because I wanted support conversations.

Yarne might be the worst-written character in a Fire Emblem game.

Fire Emblem reviews are gettin' weird.

I played while huddled under the covers as my real-world boyfriend slept peacefully next to me, jamming the A button on my 3DS frantically to get Silas into my room as fast as possible. Tell me how happy you are to be in my life, Silas. Tell me I'm your best friend and then let me yank you out of that friendzone so hard I give you whiplash.

Intimate might actually not be strong enough a word for how hard Birthright tries to tug on your heartstrings--and maybe your loins.

I never quite knew what to expect in Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright, but I knew what I wanted. I wanted to destroy my enemies. I wanted my army to trust me, and I wanted them to be happy. And I wanted, perhaps more than anything, to have someone to come home to after each battle, who would murmur to me how much he loved me despite the mess around us.

I'd say stop reading Polygon, but it's obviously not inflammatory. Seeing the cliff notes people are posting online from the various reviews is pretty hilarious. I personally like Gamespot saying they didn't like they couldn't grind in Conquest and supposedly took off points for that.

I'm really surprised that so many places are reviewing each path individually though.

Yarne might be the worst-written character in a Fire Emblem game.
Don't remember him. Looked him up and still don't remember him. I envy you people who can remember people so easily. Probably doesn't help that I'm more of a muscle/sensory memory type. Though if I can't remember them after looking them up, then they must have been pretty bland.

(I didn't remember who Anna was until I looked her up the other day. Probably won't forget her now. Though I can still clearly remember who Jeane from Suikoden is.)

I'd say stop reading Polygon, but it's obviously not inflammatory. Seeing the cliff notes people are posting online from the various reviews is pretty hilarious. I personally like Gamespot saying they didn't like they couldn't grind in Conquest and supposedly took off points for that.

I'm really surprised that so many places are reviewing each path individually though.

Don't remember him. Looked him up and still don't remember him. I envy you people who can remember people so easily. Probably doesn't help that I'm more of a muscle/sensory memory type. Though if I can't remember them after looking them up, then they must have been pretty bland.

(I didn't remember who Anna was until I looked her up the other day. Probably won't forget her now. Though I can still clearly remember who Jeane from Suikoden is.)
I was quoting Gamespot. The lady who reviewed Birthright and Revelation (some other guy did Conquest) was ridiculously thirsty.

Yarne had the unforgivable combination: absolute dogshit dialogue, but some of the absolute best stats. Very few characters could match him at equal levels. I guess he had the beastslayer weakness, but still.

I haven't been reading the actual reviews, just things people are saying online about them. I don't trust reviewers not to spoil things.

I do remember his mother, Panne, a bit and probably used her over him regardless of stats. Though I think one of my more fond Fire Emblem characters would have to be Lyn. Half of it is probably because I've always found Myrmidon badass. Their animations are so satisfying.

Can't wait to judge your choices for waifus and husbandos.

EDIT: Panne was monstrous once you second-seal'd her off her terrible base class, but her personality was bit too "noble savage" for my liking. She felt like a bad version of Lethe or one of the other laguz from FE9.

The changes to pair up and dual strike/guard alone make Fates play so much better than Awakening.

Jesus Christ, fuck Awakening's pair up.

Only reason I am not buying the new FE game is because I know if I waste money on it, it will literally sit in my backlog, lol.

Took a break from Xenoblade, debating if I should go back to that or choose something else (I had RPG Burnout in general, not tired of Xenoblade).

Although my best friend finally got Diablo 3 so I been getting back into that damn game little by little.

Great so far. Playing on Normal/Classic and poor decisions are punished badly by enemy A.I. That's refreshing. Can't imagine what Lunatic is like.

I chose 'Clever' as my Boon and Mage as my talent but I guess I can't be a magic based character so maybe that was pointless? Not sure how all that works, being as the MC is just a sword user.

Rinkah can get it.

You should be able to reclass into mage via a heart seal. Even if you don't, you'll also get access to staves once you promote. Finally, there are weapons that use magic instead of strength to attack, like the levin sword and the bolt axe.

Only reason I am not buying the new FE game is because I know if I waste money on it, it will literally sit in my backlog, lol.

Took a break from Xenoblade, debating if I should go back to that or choose something else (I had RPG Burnout in general, not tired of Xenoblade).

Although my best friend finally got Diablo 3 so I been getting back into that damn game little by little.
I think I got that RPG burnout too. I've put the Xenoblade disc into the Wii U a couple times now, and just couldn't press play and wound up screwing around in Mario Maker instead. XCX is a great game, I just got no motivation to play it now, or any other RPG for that matter. Guess a break from the genre for a few weeks will do me some good...

XCX didn't hook me as well as I'd hoped it would. Didn't play much past the second day of owning it. Will definitely come back at some point; think I was just distracted by other games.

Copy of Fates should be here today. Probably start with Conquest.

No burnout here, yet. Though it may come after getting through 3 stories in Fire Emblem Fates. At least with SRPGs which are generally one of my less enjoyed genres.

As for Fire Emblem Fates, I finally got a decent chunk of time in thanks to a power outage for three hours this morning with 6 or 7 inches of snow that hit overnight. Was too busy for the most part to really sink a good amount of time into it and I don't want to sink too much time in a single sitting anyways.

I definitely agree that pairing is significantly better in this one over Awakening. It's been pretty enjoyable so far and I'm up to Chapter 10 or so on the Hoshido side. Quite a few 'Challenge' missions pop up. I guess they're meant mostly for some free grinding? For this playthrough I went with Female/Cavalier and when I do Nohr I will go Male/Samurai I think. Revelations I will probably go towards a spellcaster and switch classes quickly unless something I learn from the other two routes causes me to change my mind.

It's feels really weird not having durability on weapons though. There were also more creation options than I thought there'd be when starting the game too.

Challenge maps are the equivalent of Risen randomly popping up on the world map in Awakening, yeah. The "Scout" option is Fates' version of buying a Reeking Box.

So, Grandia II. I'm 15 hours in now and each battle still consists of a single AOE spell cast. That's it. Insta kills everything.

I wish I could tell you guys about this great battle system but it seems I never get the chance to use it!

bread's done
Back