- - - - -

RPG Thread XX has over 100 hours of gameplay

#453 R. Kasahara   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4259 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 17 September 2018 - 06:22 PM

Might as well update with my own RPG playing. The most recent ones I beat were Final Fantasy (via the NES Classic) and Alphadia Genesis (on Steam).

This was my first time playing Final Fantasy in any form, and although it hasn't aged well (speaking of slow battles...), it's reasonably accessible for an adventure game/RPG of its vintage-- I never once got hopelessly stuck. Also, it was neat to see the series' origins, and I especially liked how well Yoshitaka Amano's monster art was recreated in sprite form. I wrote a long post about the game here.

Alphadia Genesis was no Final Fantasy. It's rather generic and isn't even as good as some doujin JRPGs I've played. On the plus side, the story is fairly decent and the battle system's fun once the difficulty ramps up. No long post this time, but I did write a Steam review.

I also went to PAX West and tried out a few things, including Labyrinth of Refrain (which I later preordered) and Dragon Quest XI. Oh, and speaking of DQ...

#457 R. Kasahara   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4259 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 09 December 2018 - 09:27 PM

I haven't been playing too many RPGs lately myself, though I saw the announcement trailer for Lapis x Labyrinth earlier today and it totally looks like my jam:

The last RPG I beat was Ambition of the Slimes. I wrote a review of it here; in short, it greatly emphasizes the "strategy" part of "strategy RPG", but if you can deal with that, and the accompanying difficulty, it's a fun and whimsical little game.

Huh, that is pretty short for Tales. Sounds like it ended up being about the right length, though, if it is as bad as you say.