- - - - -

RPG Thread XX has over 100 hours of gameplay

#31 Indignate   Hell Yeah, I’m the Motherfucking Princess! CAGiversary!   18554 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 05:11 AM

You don't walk the path to being the greatest game ever by being perfect.

#32 R. Kasahara   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4258 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 06:11 PM

I feel like half my Steam buddies are playing the new Dragon's Dogma right now, including some of you all :razz:

Meanwhile, I'm getting near the end of SMT: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers. A certain boss' second form keeps kicking my ass, but I think I've figured out a strategy now. Hoping to have it beaten sometime today. Can't say it's the best handheld MegaTen I've played (that's Strange Journey), but it's all right for a port of a 15+ year old Saturn game.

Also played through Gurumin and beat it about a week ago. It was decent.

#33 Indignate   Hell Yeah, I’m the Motherfucking Princess! CAGiversary!   18554 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 06:40 PM

Get on the wagon, Blue.

#34 The Crotch   There are ten sticks of dynamite waiting for you. CAGiversary!   14940 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 19 January 2016 - 04:09 AM

#35 R. Kasahara   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4258 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 19 January 2016 - 06:58 AM

Nope, sorry; it just doesn't look like my kind of thing :razz:

Boss still kicking my ass. Went to grind for a bit, so hopefully I'm in better shape now. Will try again tomorrow.

#36 panzerfaust  

panzerfaust

Posted 20 January 2016 - 11:41 PM

Yeah, janky as hell. Was a fun time waster though. Ended the story as a Warrior and just trucked through everything.

The story almost became interesting but wow man that dialogue. 

#37 Exhausted Dad   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   50 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Exhausted Dad

Posted 24 January 2016 - 02:33 AM

Been here for years and never ventured out of the deals or trades forums. Nice to see a good rpg thread. I have been an Xbox guy since the original xbox and finally bought a Ps3 a while back and recently a Wii u as well, so I could catch all the great Rpgs I have missed out on. Now I need some help figuring out which to play 1st. I recently finished Alchemist of Arland Escah and Logy and am currently finishing Valkryie Chronicles but after that I cant decide. Right now I have both the new Final Fantasy X-2 and Kingdom Hearts remasters as well Tales of Graces f, Tales of Xillia 1 and 2, Tales of Symphonia Chronicles and the last Arland of the Dusk Sea trilogy. Then on the Wii u I have Zelda Skyward Sword and probably the one Im leaning towards most Xenoblade Chronicles x. Its just an overload I have too many good games I have never played so give me a nudge please lol. Thanks for any advice.

#38 Krymner   Yup, I think you're sexy CAGiversary!   3012 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 24 January 2016 - 04:56 AM

Xenoblade CX is a huge time-sink so be prepared for that, but it is a fun time-sink. I found Tales of Graces f better than the two Xillia games, but Symphonia 1 is probably my favorite of the 'Tales of' series of games.  Personally, I've gotten kinda burned out by the series and haven't even touched the new one (Zesteria).  I would recommend you spacing these games out a bit and not trying to do similar ones all back-to-back to avoid getting burned out yourself.

Keep an eye out for Resonance of Fate (PS3). One of my favorite RPGs on the console.

I spent a lot of my snow day getting near the end of P4G (December). Having trouble catching the Sea Guardian, ugh...

#39 Feeding the Abscess   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3251 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Feeding the Abscess

Posted 24 January 2016 - 05:35 AM

Graphical fidelity of 13, the battle and party system of 13-2, and the schema and gear system of Lightning Returns would make the base of an excellent game.

#40 Indignate   Hell Yeah, I’m the Motherfucking Princess! CAGiversary!   18554 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Posted 24 January 2016 - 08:59 AM

One day Resonance of Fate will come to PC.

I willed Dragon's Dogma so I can do that too.

#41 Exhausted Dad   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   50 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Exhausted Dad

Posted 24 January 2016 - 04:26 PM

Xenoblade CX is a huge time-sink so be prepared for that, but it is a fun time-sink. I found Tales of Graces f better than the two Xillia games, but Symphonia 1 is probably my favorite of the 'Tales of' series of games.  Personally, I've gotten kinda burned out by the series and haven't even touched the new one (Zesteria).  I would recommend you spacing these games out a bit and not trying to do similar ones all back-to-back to avoid getting burned out yourself.

Keep an eye out for Resonance of Fate (PS3). One of my favorite RPGs on the console.

I spent a lot of my snow day getting near the end of P4G (December). Having trouble catching the Sea Guardian, ugh...

Actually played that for awhile then Witcher 3 came out and i never went back to it. I do need to revisit that and that would just leave Eternal Sonata as the only ones I havent played on 360.

#42 panzerfaust  

panzerfaust

Posted 25 January 2016 - 10:43 PM

in hindsight, the fact i gave up on Witcher 3 after several months and then beat Dragon's Dogma within a week worries me. my tastes have taken a dark turn.

#43 R. Kasahara   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4258 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 25 January 2016 - 10:51 PM

Beat Soul Hackers last week-- turned out the boss who gave me trouble was the last one. Gotta love MegaTen and its ridiculous final bosses...

...and I finally started playing Bravely Default yesterday :razz: It's decent so far; reminds me a lot of old school Final Fantasy, which I guess is the point. I do wish all the StreetPass/online stuff was more in the background, though, more like TWEWY.

#44 The Crotch   There are ten sticks of dynamite waiting for you. CAGiversary!   14940 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 25 January 2016 - 11:56 PM

in hindsight, the fact i gave up on Witcher 3 after several months and then beat Dragon's Dogma within a week worries me. my tastes have taken a dark turn.

Death is certain, hail Satan.

#45 Indignate   Hell Yeah, I’m the Motherfucking Princess! CAGiversary!   18554 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Posted 26 January 2016 - 03:25 AM

tis weak 2 fire

#46 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5695 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 26 January 2016 - 03:29 PM

So glad that pawn dialogue can be completely disabled on the PC version. Also disappointed that Crotch's pawn still isn't on my pawn list and I'm stuck with 2 terribly built mages and a decent sorcerer. I'd still like to find a game similar to this that has a good magic system as that's usually my bread and butter. The spells felt good and powerful, but I'm not much of a fan of the skill and cast system.

Played a little Torment a few days ago. The first area is exactly the same un-optimized mess and the movement still bugs the hell out of me. After that first room, it's decent and it definitely has plenty of dialogue as well as skill checks. Didn't really play much, nor do I plan to until it releases. I think it's going up for non-backer Early Access on Steam today.

#47 The Crotch   There are ten sticks of dynamite waiting for you. CAGiversary!   14940 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 26 January 2016 - 03:47 PM

Indignate says my pawn's doing good for him so I don't get it.

#48 Sir_Fragalot   wants Startropics 3. CAGiversary!   8692 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Sir_Fragalot

Posted 07 February 2016 - 06:11 PM

Kinda sad the last expansion for Witcher is coming out late first half of the year now. Since I took a break from Witcher my plan was to go back and play the game through with all the expansions installed. Guess I got to wait now. Not that I don't have enough to play, it's just been wanting to get back into Witcher.

#49 panzerfaust  

panzerfaust

Posted 07 February 2016 - 06:39 PM

Do we put XCOM2 in the RPG category?

#50 R. Kasahara   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4258 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 07 February 2016 - 06:54 PM

I think it fits. Have you been playing it? Is it any good?

I'd like to try out the previous XCOM, but am waiting to see if my husband will ever finish it/pick it up again. He's currently procrastinating on Baldur's Gate II.

Oh, and I recently started Disgaea 3 (not much else to say besides that it's Disgaea) and am still playing Bravely regularly.

#51 elessar123  

Posted 07 February 2016 - 07:10 PM

Kinda sad the last expansion for Witcher is coming out late first half of the year now. Since I took a break from Witcher my plan was to go back and play the game through with all the expansions installed. Guess I got to wait now. Not that I don't have enough to play, it's just been wanting to get back into Witcher.

Honestly, I don't think there's a reason to wait. I went through my second playthrough with the first expansion installed, and it didn't add anything. I messed around killing level 35s at level 10 or something, but it wasn't like you can access anything useful.

#52 The Crotch   There are ten sticks of dynamite waiting for you. CAGiversary!   14940 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 07 February 2016 - 09:09 PM

I've been playing it and it's good - better than EU - but it has its issues, mostly technical in nature. Sluggish menu screens (particularly the hacking and room building interfaces), fairly frequent bugs (especially seeing/attacking through walls), and horrid optimization (disable AA before you do anything) and memory leak issues.

But it's good.

#53 Indignate   Hell Yeah, I’m the Motherfucking Princess! CAGiversary!   18554 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Posted 07 February 2016 - 09:17 PM

but no dating sim elements

#54 Krymner   Yup, I think you're sexy CAGiversary!   3012 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 07 February 2016 - 09:52 PM

XCOM dating sim? SOLD Make that DLC happen!

I'd like to try out the previous XCOM, but am waiting to see if my husband will ever finish it/pick it up again. He's currently procrastinating on Baldur's Gate II.

Oh, and I recently started Disgaea 3 (not much else to say besides that it's Disgaea) and am still playing Bravely regularly.

I've started Disgaea 3 about four times and never played more than a few hours. Its okay, but I just have never gotten into it much.

I'm almost done with P4Golden. At the bonus dungeon you can do towards the end of the game. I will say its been a great game, with a lot more additions than I had expected, both story and gameplay. I've maxed out all the Social Links, found/fused all the personas, done all the quests, and gotten everyone's final persona evolution. If I do a NG+ play-thru, I'll wanna go for reading all the books, building all the models, and doing more character interactions and not focus so much on social links, building up stats, and doing the quests.

Anyone know how is Persona 3 Portable compared to P4G? Besides the female MC addition, is there very much new content? I am thinking of picking this up next time there's a Persona games sale on the PSN (probably around the time P5 is released I'd imagine).

#55 panzerfaust  

panzerfaust

Posted 07 February 2016 - 10:38 PM

attacking through walls

oh so that's not supposed to happen. here i was thinking i just had strong weapons.

#56 The Crotch   There are ten sticks of dynamite waiting for you. CAGiversary!   14940 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 08 February 2016 - 01:36 AM

To clarify: if you have proper LOS to an enemy but your character's animation has them attacking through a wall, that's normal. It's just the animation not taking into account the presence of an object.

But sometimes you just inexplicably see through two sets of walls, or someone (who's not a faceless) makes a melee attack through a solid wall, or...

#57 panzerfaust  

panzerfaust

Posted 08 February 2016 - 01:51 AM

i see. yeah i get melee through walls very often. 

great game though. the decision making has big consequences and has me dependent on creating those just-in-case Save files. the highest difficulty prevents this and is an iron man, right?

#58 The Crotch   There are ten sticks of dynamite waiting for you. CAGiversary!   14940 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 08 February 2016 - 02:09 AM

Iron Man is a toggle that you can put on any difficulty level. Game's too damn buggy for me to use that mode, though.

#59 panzerfaust  

panzerfaust

Posted 08 February 2016 - 01:58 PM

snipers have such low accuracy. i guess it would be unbalanced otherwise but still, lame.

Also 5 hours into Grandia II. lots of AOE spell spamming in this game, or at least that's been my approach.

#60 The Crotch   There are ten sticks of dynamite waiting for you. CAGiversary!   14940 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 08 February 2016 - 04:36 PM

Snipers don't have particularly low accuracy, but squadsight accuracy ate a nerf in X-Com 2. In EU, they had the same accuracy at fifteen squares as they did at fifty. In 2, extremely long-range shots are punished. Sharpshooter might be my favourite class in 2, honestly. Squadsight got nerfed (because it needed to be) and moved to a tier-one ability (because it needed to be one) and unlike in EU, the pistol-centric abilities are fun and powerful.