- - - - -

RPG Thread XX has over 100 hours of gameplay

#61 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5691 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 08 February 2016 - 08:53 PM

I'm with Crotch on this. It's a great game and can be played through currently, but not really to its fullest potential until some more patches come out. It's marred by a lot of little bugs and some serious issues with a couple of settings that shouldn't really exist with a game of this graphical fidelity or gameplay. Though the foliage in that screenshot above is pretty nice.

Pistols are definitely better than the previous game and they did indeed nerf squadsight. It's still damn good and Kill Zone is brutal... when it doesn't bug out. I'm having the most fun with my katana wielding rangers and various grenade types on my grenadiers. I also like that mods aren't equipped in the utility slot anymore but somewhat saddened that I can't remove them once equipped. I don't know how it works with weapon upgrades as I didn't really use them until I got plasma weapons. I pimped out my sniper and wish I had more superior mods to spread the love.

#62 The Crotch   There are ten sticks of dynamite waiting for you. CAGiversary!   14940 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 08 February 2016 - 10:22 PM

If you give a character a mod, they keep that mod on their upgraded weapons.

#63 panzerfaust  

panzerfaust

Posted 09 February 2016 - 04:34 AM

i've grown to trust my panicked units more than myself. solid plays, all around.

#64 The Crotch   There are ten sticks of dynamite waiting for you. CAGiversary!   14940 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 02:09 PM

Public service announcement: upgraded acid grenades fuckin' own.

#65 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5691 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 06:02 PM

#66 The Crotch   There are ten sticks of dynamite waiting for you. CAGiversary!   14940 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 07:31 PM

That's what psi troopers are for, man.

#67 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5691 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 09:14 PM

I read that there's a bug with that ability. It blocks everything properly but acid. My PSI Trooper can learn the ability but I've been selecting other ones. I haven't really taken them into battle yet either, but at this point I should be able to as they have a few decent abilities finally.

#68 The Crotch   There are ten sticks of dynamite waiting for you. CAGiversary!   14940 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 09:16 PM

7EnhP0C.jpg

That was, uh... an interesting VIP assassination.

#69 panzerfaust  

panzerfaust

Posted 10 February 2016 - 01:29 AM

wish i could shut off everything to do with this stand-in corporal guy who calls me commander, especially when it seems he's the real commander while i'm just a floating camera. same with the optimus prime cerberus guy. just a lot of annoying dialogue/event triggers in missions and out of missions.

#70 The Crotch   There are ten sticks of dynamite waiting for you. CAGiversary!   14940 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 02:37 PM

It was a problem in EU - hell, a bigger problem in EU - and I'm pretty surprised Firaxis didn't eliminate entirely. Locking the camera in place so I can listen to Bradford whine about a single civilian on the opposite side of the map dying on the first turn of a fight is preeeeetty bullshit.

#71 The Crotch   There are ten sticks of dynamite waiting for you. CAGiversary!   14940 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 11 February 2016 - 12:22 AM

Well, I've now seen the biggest bug yet in X-Com 2.

A lancer got a couple steps into its movement, the game hitched, and then suddenly he was right on top of my grenadier. He attacked (missed), and then got shot by an overwatch that he should have already triggered. He then ceased existing for a couple seconds and reappeared in another location about 1.5 moves away before attacking me again.

EDIT: Oh hey it's not just me.

http://www.twitch.tv...star/v/42499989

Also, what the Fuck?

#72 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5691 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 16 February 2016 - 08:40 PM

Yeah, I tested that caps lock thing finally and my 30+ second load times were cut down to a 1-3 second freeze and then I was able to hit 'Continue'.

Also, that final mission is bullshit compared to the others. The difficulty just doesn't even remotely compare to anything else in the game. Of course I crashed during the final cutscene, so I just youtube'd it. Not that it would've mattered anyways since I lockup during cutscenes anyways and have only seen a small amount before it locks up and then skips back to the gameplay.

Time to bring on Fire Emblem so I can crash on burn with all the SRPGs I've been playing lately. I don't think I'll touch another for at least 6 months if not a year. I have a hard enough time playing them usually as it is.

#73 panzerfaust  

panzerfaust

Posted 17 February 2016 - 02:48 PM

Ya'll getting the bundle or what? I'm just grabbing Birthright for now.

#74 The Crotch   There are ten sticks of dynamite waiting for you. CAGiversary!   14940 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 04:14 PM

Just getting Birthright for now. I figure I'll play that, swing back to Pillars of Eternity for another run now that White March 2 is out, then do the other two Fire Emblem campaigns.

#75 Action!   bwip CAGiversary!   7359 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 04:22 PM

Ended up getting the CE preordered, so we'll see how that goes. I played Awakening preeeetty hard when it came out, so I won't be surprised if I just marathon all three campaigns.

#76 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5691 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 06:45 PM

I have the Special Edition ordered as well. I'm still torn on whether I'll start with Conquest or Birthright. I'm thinking that since I've played way too much of the SRPG genre these last 3 months that I'll probably start with Birthright. It's the easiest of the three and supposedly has the better story. After which I'll do Conquest and then Revelations. Not sure if I'll play something in between stories though. Depends how burned out I am with SRPGs after completing the first campaign.

I do wish people would stop comparing its dual versions to Pokemon though. I blame poor marketing and their decision to separate them instead of a single game with the third story DLC.

I also have a month to think of an epitaph for Torment. Need to come up with something clever while not being dumb or out of scenario.

#77 The Crotch   There are ten sticks of dynamite waiting for you. CAGiversary!   14940 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 06:57 PM

A lot of the "Birthright is easier" stuff is also just a matter of "Birthright allows grinding". From what I've heard, if you do zero grinding, Birthright can actually be harder. Conquest also varies up its map objectives more, so it's actually possible to lose even with phoenix mode.

Also, given that the epitaphs in Pillars were uniformly, unambiguously garbage, I wouldn't worry too much about Torment?

#78 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5691 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 07:20 PM

That could be. I feel like when grinding is available, the majority of vocal players tend to almost exclusively say a game is too easy. I'll still probably go with Birthright so I don't blow a fuse for the genre and end up dropping the game indefinitely. At the very least, I'll be able to see the cutscenes through and enjoy what is supposedly considered the better story experience.

There were a few clever epitaphs in Pillars, but yeah most were pretty garbage. If I don't come up with anything I'll just leave it blank which I feel is fine as well. I just hope they implement it to where it's not so obtusely placed like the backer NPCs are in Pillars.

#79 The Crotch   There are ten sticks of dynamite waiting for you. CAGiversary!   14940 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 07:30 PM

I ground the shit out of Awakening. Not because I wanted to level people up, but because I wanted support conversations.

Yarne might be the worst-written character in a Fire Emblem game.

#80 The Crotch   There are ten sticks of dynamite waiting for you. CAGiversary!   14940 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 11:11 PM

Fire Emblem reviews are gettin' weird.

I played while huddled under the covers as my real-world boyfriend slept peacefully next to me, jamming the A button on my 3DS frantically to get Silas into my room as fast as possible. Tell me how happy you are to be in my life, Silas. Tell me I'm your best friend and then let me yank you out of that friendzone so hard I give you whiplash.

#81 Indignate   Hell Yeah, I’m the Motherfucking Princess! CAGiversary!   18554 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 11:21 PM

I've written similar fanfiction.

#82 The Crotch   There are ten sticks of dynamite waiting for you. CAGiversary!   14940 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 11:35 PM

Intimate might actually not be strong enough a word for how hard Birthright tries to tug on your heartstrings--and maybe your loins.

I never quite knew what to expect in Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright, but I knew what I wanted. I wanted to destroy my enemies. I wanted my army to trust me, and I wanted them to be happy. And I wanted, perhaps more than anything, to have someone to come home to after each battle, who would murmur to me how much he loved me despite the mess around us.

#83 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5691 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 01:00 AM

I'd say stop reading Polygon, but it's obviously not inflammatory. Seeing the cliff notes people are posting online from the various reviews is pretty hilarious. I personally like Gamespot saying they didn't like they couldn't grind in Conquest and supposedly took off points for that.

I'm really surprised that so many places are reviewing each path individually though.

Yarne might be the worst-written character in a Fire Emblem game.

Don't remember him. Looked him up and still don't remember him. I envy you people who can remember people so easily. Probably doesn't help that I'm more of a muscle/sensory memory type. Though if I can't remember them after looking them up, then they must have been pretty bland.

(I didn't remember who Anna was until I looked her up the other day. Probably won't forget her now. Though I can still clearly remember who Jeane from Suikoden is.)

#84 Action!   bwip CAGiversary!   7359 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 01:16 AM

Don't be sad that you can't remember Yarne.

#85 The Crotch   There are ten sticks of dynamite waiting for you. CAGiversary!   14940 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 01:42 AM

I'd say stop reading Polygon, but it's obviously not inflammatory. Seeing the cliff notes people are posting online from the various reviews is pretty hilarious. I personally like Gamespot saying they didn't like they couldn't grind in Conquest and supposedly took off points for that.

I'm really surprised that so many places are reviewing each path individually though.

Don't remember him. Looked him up and still don't remember him. I envy you people who can remember people so easily. Probably doesn't help that I'm more of a muscle/sensory memory type. Though if I can't remember them after looking them up, then they must have been pretty bland.

(I didn't remember who Anna was until I looked her up the other day. Probably won't forget her now. Though I can still clearly remember who Jeane from Suikoden is.)

I was quoting Gamespot. The lady who reviewed Birthright and Revelation (some other guy did Conquest) was ridiculously thirsty.

Yarne had the unforgivable combination: absolute dogshit dialogue, but some of the absolute best stats. Very few characters could match him at equal levels. I guess he had the beastslayer weakness, but still.

#86 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5691 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 01:59 AM

I haven't been reading the actual reviews, just things people are saying online about them. I don't trust reviewers not to spoil things.

I do remember his mother, Panne, a bit and probably used her over him regardless of stats. Though I think one of my more fond Fire Emblem characters would have to be Lyn. Half of it is probably because I've always found Myrmidon badass. Their animations are so satisfying.

#87 panzerfaust  

panzerfaust

Posted 18 February 2016 - 12:42 PM

can't for this game to tug at my loins

#88 The Crotch   There are ten sticks of dynamite waiting for you. CAGiversary!   14940 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 04:34 PM

Can't wait to judge your choices for waifus and husbandos.

EDIT: Panne was monstrous once you second-seal'd her off her terrible base class, but her personality was bit too "noble savage" for my liking. She felt like a bad version of Lethe or one of the other laguz from FE9.

#89 The Crotch   There are ten sticks of dynamite waiting for you. CAGiversary!   14940 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 19 February 2016 - 08:35 PM

The changes to pair up and dual strike/guard alone make Fates play so much better than Awakening.

Jesus Christ, Fuck Awakening's pair up.

#90 Sir_Fragalot   wants Startropics 3. CAGiversary!   8692 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Sir_Fragalot

Posted 21 February 2016 - 04:45 PM

Only reason I am not buying the new FE game is because I know if I waste money on it, it will literally sit in my backlog, lol.

Took a break from Xenoblade, debating if I should go back to that or choose something else (I had RPG Burnout in general, not tired of Xenoblade).

Although my best friend finally got Diablo 3 so I been getting back into that damn game little by little.