- - - - -

RPG Thread XX has over 100 hours of gameplay

#91 panzerfaust  

panzerfaust

Posted 22 February 2016 - 03:05 AM

Great so far. Playing on Normal/Classic and poor decisions are punished badly by enemy A.I. That's refreshing. Can't imagine what Lunatic is like.

I chose 'Clever' as my Boon and Mage as my talent but I guess I can't be a magic based character so maybe that was pointless? Not sure how all that works, being as the MC is just a sword user.

Rinkah can get it.

#92 The Crotch   There are ten sticks of dynamite waiting for you. CAGiversary!   14940 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 22 February 2016 - 03:21 AM

You should be able to reclass into mage via a heart seal. Even if you don't, you'll also get access to staves once you promote. Finally, there are weapons that use magic instead of strength to attack, like the levin sword and the bolt axe.

#93 Krymner   Yup, I think you're sexy CAGiversary!   3012 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 22 February 2016 - 12:19 PM

Only reason I am not buying the new FE game is because I know if I waste money on it, it will literally sit in my backlog, lol.

Took a break from Xenoblade, debating if I should go back to that or choose something else (I had RPG Burnout in general, not tired of Xenoblade).

Although my best friend finally got Diablo 3 so I been getting back into that damn game little by little.

I think I got that RPG burnout too. I've put the Xenoblade disc into the Wii U a couple times now, and just couldn't press play and wound up screwing around in Mario Maker instead. XCX is a great game, I just got no motivation to play it now, or any other RPG for that matter. Guess a break from the genre for a few weeks will do me some good...

#94 Action!   bwip CAGiversary!   7359 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted 22 February 2016 - 02:45 PM

XCX didn't hook me as well as I'd hoped it would. Didn't play much past the second day of owning it. Will definitely come back at some point; think I was just distracted by other games.

Copy of Fates should be here today. Probably start with Conquest.

#95 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5696 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 10:25 PM

No burnout here, yet. Though it may come after getting through 3 stories in Fire Emblem Fates. At least with SRPGs which are generally one of my less enjoyed genres.

As for Fire Emblem Fates, I finally got a decent chunk of time in thanks to a power outage for three hours this morning with 6 or 7 inches of snow that hit overnight. Was too busy for the most part to really sink a good amount of time into it and I don't want to sink too much time in a single sitting anyways.

I definitely agree that pairing is significantly better in this one over Awakening. It's been pretty enjoyable so far and I'm up to Chapter 10 or so on the Hoshido side. Quite a few 'Challenge' missions pop up. I guess they're meant mostly for some free grinding? For this playthrough I went with Female/Cavalier and when I do Nohr I will go Male/Samurai I think. Revelations I will probably go towards a spellcaster and switch classes quickly unless something I learn from the other two routes causes me to change my mind.

It's feels really weird not having durability on weapons though. There were also more creation options than I thought there'd be when starting the game too.

#96 The Crotch   There are ten sticks of dynamite waiting for you. CAGiversary!   14940 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 11:01 PM

Challenge maps are the equivalent of Risen randomly popping up on the world map in Awakening, yeah. The "Scout" option is Fates' version of buying a Reeking Box.

#97 Action!   bwip CAGiversary!   7359 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted 25 February 2016 - 06:57 PM

Finally collecting some kids in Conquest. This game has it's hooks in me good.

#98 panzerfaust  

panzerfaust

Posted 29 February 2016 - 12:40 AM

So, Grandia II. I'm 15 hours in now and each battle still consists of a single AOE spell cast. That's it. Insta kills everything.

I wish I could tell you guys about this great battle system but it seems I never get the chance to use it!

#99 Indignate   Hell Yeah, I’m the Motherfucking Princess! CAGiversary!   18554 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Posted 29 February 2016 - 12:46 AM

Then stop doing that.

#100 panzerfaust  

panzerfaust

Posted 29 February 2016 - 12:53 AM

Willingly ignoring good strategy doesn't do it for me.

#101 R. Kasahara   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4259 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 29 February 2016 - 06:40 AM

It's been a long time since I played Grandia II, but I don't remember it being that easy o_O;

#102 elessar123  

Posted 29 February 2016 - 06:56 AM

Same. I remember it being easy enough to do most battles in one combo, but not one AOE.

#103 panzerfaust  

panzerfaust

Posted 29 February 2016 - 02:14 PM

It only fails to work if I'm ambushed since enemy placement is spread out in those cases. But any other fight starts all enemies in a clump so it's really a no brainer. I'm not exaggerating the damage output. If you equip the basic magic enhancements to your mage, it's total overkill. A Ryuudo combo is doing ~900 single target dmg but a Tio spell is doing 1.9k to the entire field and she always gets her turn before the enemy. Before her I was using Roan to the same effect. 

#104 Krymner   Yup, I think you're sexy CAGiversary!   3012 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 29 February 2016 - 08:41 PM

Never played any game in the Grandia series so I'm not familiar with any of its quirks. That kinda reminds me of spamming the key item you get near the beginning of Breath of Fire 1 that made the beginning of that game a lot easier. Any time I find some sort of easy exploit like that in an RPG, I abuse the hell out of it, fairness and balance be damned. 

#105 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5696 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 29 February 2016 - 09:02 PM

Second half of the game in Grandia 1 & 2 is pretty easy with AoE spells against trash encounters. I don't remember 3 well enough, but it probably worked the same.

I made a mistake in Fire Emblem Fates while playing on Classic but thanks to a bit of luck, I got through it. Was trying to level up the usual super weak unit you get in all Fire Emblem games but has high growth. Brought down the encounters boss low enough for them to finish and then I attacked with them. Apparently I discounted their skills because I was using ranged attacks to lower the bosses HP. So I attack in melee range with my super-weak unit who basically has 3 HP left and the boss activated Vantage. Thankfully I had that character paired and their defense bar was maxed, so the paired unit kicked in and blocked all damage. Don't think I'll forget what the Vantage skill icon looks like again.

#106 The Crotch   There are ten sticks of dynamite waiting for you. CAGiversary!   14940 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 29 February 2016 - 09:14 PM

Always check for Counter, too.

Fuck Counter.

#107 R. Kasahara   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4259 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 01 March 2016 - 05:53 AM

Just beat Disgaea 3, and in less than 50 hours, surprisingly. The story was okay, I guess, but that dub was... not NIS America's best. Sapphire was particularly atrocious. There was too much fourth wall breaking in the script as well.

Loved the Geo Cubes, torn on Evilities, and generally liked all the other customization and battle system tweaks. Don't know if I'll play the epilogue yet. I should really just focus more on Bravely (about to start Chapter 4 there), plus the husband and I want to start Diablo III soonish.

#108 The Crotch   There are ten sticks of dynamite waiting for you. CAGiversary!   14940 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 05 March 2016 - 01:46 AM

Birthright finished. Played a lot better than Awakening but hooo boy was that some bad writing. Moving on to Conquest next, which by most accounts plays even better but also has a worse plot.

#109 Action!   bwip CAGiversary!   7359 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted 05 March 2016 - 06:16 PM

I can't compare yet. Beat Conquest last night and started Revelation. Going in an ass-backwards order, but I just can't get excited about Hoshido. Having a damned good time either way.

#110 The Crotch   There are ten sticks of dynamite waiting for you. CAGiversary!   14940 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 10 March 2016 - 01:17 AM

The entire plot of Conquest so far:

#111 Indignate   Hell Yeah, I’m the Motherfucking Princess! CAGiversary!   18554 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Posted 10 March 2016 - 02:28 AM

Theon Greyjoy and Sam Tully.

#112 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5696 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 12 March 2016 - 05:23 PM

Well Crotch, It looks like there's an announcement Tuesday at 5PM PST from Paradox and Obsidian. The mention of the announcement is given after you finish said quiz:

http://humanresource...radoxplaza.com/

I look forward to your upcoming hype game.

I haven't been playing Fire Emblem for a week now. Friend dragged me into Diablo 3 with him and that's taken up much of my time. Man, Legendaries and Sets drop so much easier now. I should probably get back to Fire Emblem.

#113 Indignate   Hell Yeah, I’m the Motherfucking Princess! CAGiversary!   18554 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Posted 12 March 2016 - 05:30 PM

Obsidian picking up more sloppy seconds I would imagine.

#114 R. Kasahara   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4259 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 12 March 2016 - 06:14 PM

The husband and I started Diablo III last night. After spending a couple of evenings beforehand trying out different classes, I'm playing a monk, and he's a wizard. We bumped up the difficulty from Normal to Hard after the first couple hours, since neither of us were expecting it to be as easy as it is, at least early on.

Also, still chugging away at Bravely, and also playing Pokemon Blue for the first time-- the first gen is the only one I haven't played in some form, so I decided to fix that :razz:

#115 The Crotch   There are ten sticks of dynamite waiting for you. CAGiversary!   14940 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 12 March 2016 - 09:09 PM

Well Crotch, It looks like there's an announcement Tuesday at 5PM PST from Paradox and Obsidian. The mention of the announcement is given after you finish said quiz:

http://humanresource...radoxplaza.com/

I look forward to your upcoming hype game.

Yeah, I saw that. Presumably a WoD game, since Paradox's purchase of White Wolf was immediately followed by cries of "let Obsidian make a Bloodlines sequel".

I'd personally rather they do a Werewolf or Hunter game, since those were my favourite WoD settings (and the only Werewolf videogame got cancelled, anyway).

#116 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5696 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 12 March 2016 - 09:44 PM

Apparently according to Paradox's Facebook page, it's not related to World of Darkness. Definitely sounds very WoD though and they could definitely just be saying that because they don't want to confirm anything until Tuesday. I wouldn't mind seeing anything from that universe, just so long as it's halfway decent. Outside of WoD, it could potentially be Obsidian's "Project North Carolina" resurrected from the dead. Either way, I guess we'll see next week.

And Blue, yeah, Diablo 3 is a ton easier now (well, at whatever patch version you're at as 2.4 is the current) in comparison to when they first released it. Getting through the final difficulty when it was first released was a major pain, especially in a group. I was basically forced to solo from Belial to Diablo because bosses basically insta-killed you on the highest difficulty. Shit was stupid ridiculous then and Diablo had more shadow phases. I only know of myself and I think Pookymeister that beat it on the highest difficulty before they patched it.

Back then you were also lucky to get a single legendary/set drop with a week of solid playtime and it probably wasn't even for your class, but with the current patch I get about one per minute or two of actual fighting and it's almost always for your class. Drops were less tailored to your class in general to promote the real money auction house and you couldn't share loot between party members (Still limited now though).

#117 The Crotch   There are ten sticks of dynamite waiting for you. CAGiversary!   14940 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 12 March 2016 - 10:43 PM

Everyone was freaking out about this...

jINMLej.png

... a while back, expecting Fallout: New (New) Orleans, but Josh confirmed that wasn't it. Could be A Thing, could be nothing.

#118 R. Kasahara   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4259 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 12 March 2016 - 11:32 PM

And Blue, yeah, Diablo 3 is a ton easier now (well, at whatever patch version you're at as 2.4 is the current) in comparison to when they first released it.

We're playing the Ultimate Evil Edition on 360, so yeah, it's a recent version. The ridiculous legendary ring that the game gives you for linking up with your Battle.net account doesn't help either. I only remember needing to use a potion once during our entire session last night (we stopped after clearing out the first part of the Cathedral), and that was before equipping that thing. Wouldn't be surprised if we're compelled to bump up the difficulty again later on, but we haven't played enough on Hard to decide on that just yet.

(Also, sorry, only briefly skimmed the rest of your comment, as I'm trying to avoid whatever spoilers I can. I do enjoy that big, dumb Blizzard Lore sometimes ^^; )

#119 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5696 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 16 March 2016 - 11:41 AM

I guess I became too oblivious to Diablo having an actual story. My bad.

As for the Obsidian/Paradox game, it's called Tyranny. Not much to go by on the trailer other than you being a henchman to an evil overlord, but the website has some nice screenshots at least. Though one looks like concept art rather than in-game shot. Noticed they're also going for stylized graphics a bit more this time around. It's also coming out this year, wat.

#120 panzerfaust  

panzerfaust

Posted 20 March 2016 - 02:24 AM

Grim Dawn is pretty new and said to be a great ARPG alternative to Diablo. Anyone play it?