- - - - -

RPG Thread XX has over 100 hours of gameplay

#181 JEKKI   JEKKI WOO FOO FOO CAGiversary!   7037 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 15 May 2016 - 09:58 PM

ahhhh 43 hours into Trails FC and I'm finally burnt out lol... need a palate cleansing game before I continue lol.

I may have included sidequests in the time, but you're more than likely to do them on the first playthrough. If you're strictly adhering to a guide and doing just the main story or doing a NG+ run off of a save, then it will take significantly less. I don't think I've seen anybody actually claim they've beat it less than 60 hours on their first run, but I'm not really looking out for that either.

I've done all the Bracer mission sidequests, but having read some of the gamefaqs walkthru apparently there's other sidequests I missed out on!

furthermore, you can get a "perfect score" in this game which I'm like a few points off from based on what the guides tell me my BP should be at... so I wonder how I lost those points.

regardless, for a very linear game that allows for no backtracking at all, there sure is a lot of stuff you can miss out on in this game lol.

but seems to be all weapons and orbs that make you that much stronger, in a game that really is not too difficult to begin with.

just so looooong lol. 

in other news, I bought Dark Souls for $5 off humble bundle store! still never made it past like 4 stages in Demon Souls tho lol

#182 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5136 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 26 May 2016 - 11:56 PM

Here you go Crotch, for your enjoyment:

https://www.rockpape...-erotic-server/

(It's actually quite an interesting and fun read.)

#183 Indignate   Hell Yeah, I’m the Motherfucking Princess! CAGiversary!   18526 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

Posted 27 May 2016 - 01:35 AM

I'm sure he'll get a kick out of it in 3 months if he doesn't die.

Someone come throw away all my figurines.

#184 Krymner   Yup, I think you're sexy CAGiversary!   2911 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 27 May 2016 - 04:34 AM

Here you go Crotch, for your enjoyment:

https://www.rockpape...-erotic-server/

(It's actually quite an interesting and fun read.)

That's kinda creepy, but not surprising. What's surprising to me is the number of people that still play Neverwinter Nights.

I'm still trudging thru the Chapter 2's of the characters in Suikoden 3. Been working alot of hours so I haven't had as much time to sink into it as I'd like.

#185 Offthecrossbar   Takes One Step Forward CAGiversary!   71 Posts   Joined 2.3 Years Ago  

Offthecrossbar

Posted 27 May 2016 - 01:33 PM

I'm still trudging thru the Chapter 2's of the characters in Suikoden 3. Been working alot of hours so I haven't had as much time to sink into it as I'd like.

I think that's about as far as I got before I lost interest. ...or another game came along, I can't remember, it's been like 10 years or some unforsaken number.

I think its what stopped me from continuing the series after that. Didn't feel anywhere near the same as the first two to me.

#186 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5136 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 27 May 2016 - 06:53 PM

I'm sure he'll get a kick out of it in 3 months if he doesn't die.

I was wondering when he would begin his pilgrimage for the ultimate maple syrup. Normally I notice, but I guess I haven't been reading around enough this year.

That's kinda creepy, but not surprising. What's surprising to me is the number of people that still play Neverwinter Nights.

Robust modding tools keep people around for quite a long while. Too bad games that come out these days don't come close.

I could never really get into Suikoden 3. It made me hate the whole changing main characters throughout the story so much. I feel it's a stupid mechanic that makes me lose interest in the characters I'm playing. Would have been more receptive if I could have picked one and played it through to completion and then went on to do one of the other characters stories.

#187 JEKKI   JEKKI WOO FOO FOO CAGiversary!   7037 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 04:00 AM

oh whaaaaaat?!?! Trails in the Sky?!?!

more like Trails in the Done!

or Done in the Sky!

or Trails FC!

where the F stands for Finished!

and the C stands for Complete!

52 hours! and according to one of my previous posts, I started on 03/22/2016, so a little over 2 months!

so I guess it's finally time to start up Xenoblade!

wonder if I'll stick to that game thru the end... or wonder how many hours I'll put in it til I take a break lol

#188 Krymner   Yup, I think you're sexy CAGiversary!   2911 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 09:37 AM

I think that's about as far as I got before I lost interest. ...or another game came along, I can't remember, it's been like 10 years or some unforsaken number.

I think its what stopped me from continuing the series after that. Didn't feel anywhere near the same as the first two to me.

It does feel like a huge shift away from the first two games, but it's growing on me. I'm only about 20-something hours into it, and its still pretty slow to reveal the plot up to this point, whereas the first two games set things up pretty quickly and moved along at a more brisk pace. Suikoden 3 just kinda keeps repeating itself in these opening chapters and still hasn't went anywhere.

I could never really get into Suikoden 3. It made me hate the whole changing main characters throughout the story so much. I feel it's a stupid mechanic that makes me lose interest in the characters I'm playing. Would have been more receptive if I could have picked one and played it through to completion and then went on to do one of the other characters stories.

I believe you can play all three of the characters one at a time, like all 3 Chris chapters, then all 3 Hugo chapters, etc etc....I'm just doing it so nothing gets spoiled, because there's a lot of repetition so far in some of the chapters. I like how some other games do this multi-character chapter stuff better, like DQ IV.

oh whaaaaaat?!?! Trails in the Sky?!?!

more like Trails in the Done!

or Done in the Sky!

or Trails FC!

where the F stands for Finished!

and the C stands for Complete!

52 hours! and according to one of my previous posts, I started on 03/22/2016, so a little over 2 months!

so I guess it's finally time to start up Xenoblade!

wonder if I'll stick to that game thru the end... or wonder how many hours I'll put in it til I take a break lol

Congrats Jekki! Good luck with Xenoblade. It's a pretty big time-sink too. I plan on getting back to it sometime later this year.

Looking forward to Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE later this month. I'm trying not to watch too many of the promo videos they keep releasing so the story doesn't get spoiled. I'm going to make a big push to complete Suikoden 3 in the next couple weeks. Just finished with all the chapter 2 stuff and starting on the chapter 3's.

#189 JEKKI   JEKKI WOO FOO FOO CAGiversary!   7037 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 04 June 2016 - 03:11 AM

whoooo~!!! happy friday / happy weekend!!! we finally made it!!

think I'll start Xenoblade tonite!!

Congrats Jekki! Good luck with Xenoblade. It's a pretty big time-sink too. I plan on getting back to it sometime later this year.

Looking forward to Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE later this month. I'm trying not to watch too many of the promo videos they keep releasing so the story doesn't get spoiled. I'm going to make a big push to complete Suikoden 3 in the next couple weeks. Just finished with all the chapter 2 stuff and starting on the chapter 3's.

aw man, I also got that Tokyo Mirage pre-ordered... cant wait to put it in the pile of backlogged games alongside my huge stack of sealed PS2 games. 

aw man, now that I think about it, I do still have a bunch of sealed PS2 / DS / 3DS / PSP games >_< wonder how much I can get on ebay lol.

but yah, I also got Shiren the Wandere and 7th Dragon on preorder for July,

a kickstarter entitlement to Costmic Star Heroinne,

FF15 preorder, despite not owning a PS4 (I'll buy on during black friday season lol)

and I wanted to play I Am Setsuba, but it's not coming out on Vita, and they havent released the PC requirements yet (which I doubt I can handle)

crossing my fingers for a Persona 5 release date at E3,

yah after Persona I hope they never release another video game ever until 2019 at least. 

#190 R. Kasahara   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4085 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 05:33 PM

In Chapter 8 of Bravely Default right now and hoping to beat it soon. May post longer impressions once I'm done, but all I have to say for right now is:
Spoiler

Also, up to six gym badges in Pokemon Blue. Afterward, it took me awhile to figure out how to get Surf, but I got it! Have started to cross some water and initiate a bunch of random battles against low-level Tentacools :razz:

In between those, been reading The Dark Id's FFX Let's Play. Just got done with the wedding scene, which, as the commentary points out, is dumber than I remembered.

crossing my fingers for a Persona 5 release date at E3,

yah after Persona I hope they never release another video game ever until 2019 at least.

It's just been announced for Valentine's Day of next year. I'm cool with it. Got waaay too much to play right now... plus I'm a Cosmic Star Heroine backer too, and am keeping an eye on 7th Dragon III and I Am Setsuna. Oh, and I still haven't picked up the latest Mario & Luigi, or preordered Pokemon Sun...
sig.gif
2017 Completed Games || My gaming blog

:-({|=  The Video Game Soundtrack Deals Thread ~ Where and how to buy game music online. Oh, and deals, too!

#191 Krymner   Yup, I think you're sexy CAGiversary!   2911 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 06:29 PM

Remember when the PS3/360 first came out several years ago, and everyone was all "Where the RPGs at, yo? Where they at? When they coming?" And nobody had an answer cause RPGs were dying or something. Now everyone is "Hold up! I got too many RPGs! Mercy!" Ah, what a wonderful world.

Dang these Chapter 3's are long in Suikoden 3. Some of those Chapter 2s were super short and I was expecting to be done with the 3's by now. Ah well, just 1 more to go now. 

#192 R. Kasahara   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4085 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 17 June 2016 - 05:12 AM

There really are too many RPGs! I'm still catching up on stuff from last gen!

Hopefully there aren't too many more 140+ hour monsters in my backlog like Bravely Default until P5 arrives. And oh yeah, just beat Bravely. That final boss battle was WAY too long...

Also,
Spoiler

sig.gif

:-({|=  The Video Game Soundtrack Deals Thread ~ Where and how to buy game music online. Oh, and deals, too!

#193 Krymner   Yup, I think you're sexy CAGiversary!   2911 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 19 June 2016 - 07:09 AM

Suikoden 3 is Sukio-DONE. Despite its problems with the chapter system and the wonky camera, I will say it's my overall favorite of the first 3. I think 2 had a better story, tho. Might be awhile before I move on to 4 and 5, since I'll have to hunt those down on disc and buy a PS2, since I doubt neither will ever make it to the Playstation Store, especially since its so late in the PS3's life.

At least I now have the slate cleared for Tokyo Mirage Session #FE next week. From what little I've read of it, it's not a very long RPG.

#194 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5136 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 19 June 2016 - 01:57 PM

If you ever do get around to playing 4, then make sure you figure out what button is the "sprint" button for boat travel. The game never advertised it and most people never knew it existed, which is where a lot of the hate comes from (boat travel being slow).

I'm at the end of Atelier Sophie myself, but I'm a little slow going on it thanks to Overwatch. I need to get my alchemy up to 45 (from 36) before I proceed with the story any further and craft a specific item. It's not necessary to finish the game though. I guess I'll need to decide what to move on to next as well. There are a lot of choices for me currently which are more recent games.

#195 R. Kasahara   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4085 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 19 June 2016 - 07:26 PM

Congrats on finishing Suikoden III, Krymner :)

I just got done writing a looong review of Bravely Default; it's here in case anyone's interested.

Don't know what RPG I'll start up next. After Bravely, it's gotta be something I know will be on the shorter side, so probably Mario & Luigi: Dream Team or Evoland II. I also have to finish Pokemon Blue; only have one gym badge left to get, then it's on to Legendary hunting and the Pokemon League.

sig.gif

#196 Krymner   Yup, I think you're sexy CAGiversary!   2911 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 20 June 2016 - 10:36 AM

I'll eventually get back to Bravely Default. I don't even remember where I left off. I haven't even picked up my 3DS in months. It needs a new Dragon Quest game to get it active again.

I think after Tokyo Mirage, I'm going to get back to my classic RPG backlog with the Persona series on the PSP, starting with the first one, then make my way thru the two Persona 2 games, then finish up with P3P.

#197 elessar123  

Posted 20 June 2016 - 05:20 PM

Only the Witcher would have a quest where drawing money from a bank is infuriating.

Spoiler

#198 creid   Dead For The Summer CAGiversary!   6777 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 01:32 PM

Congrats on finishing Suikoden III, Krymner :)

I just got done writing a looong review of Bravely Default; it's here in case anyone's interested.

Nice write-up. It's a shame you didn't use the friend system, the ending I got was improved by the fact that

Spoiler

#199 Action!   bwip CAGiversary!   7339 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

Posted 23 June 2016 - 01:14 PM

Only the Witcher would have a quest where drawing money from a bank is infuriating.

They did such a good job on that quest. Lingering camera angles, everything. I hated and loved it at the same time.

Actually wrapped up B&W a few days ago. Really, really nice send-off to the game. 

Check out my art blog.      |      Trade List

Open for commissions. Ask me to draw for you.

#200 elessar123  

Posted 23 June 2016 - 05:04 PM

I did literally every side quest available in B&W and left the main quest alone. I came back after 2 weeks and went, oh right, Detlaff.

Spoiler

#201 Krymner   Yup, I think you're sexy CAGiversary!   2911 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 27 June 2016 - 10:38 AM

Played about 10 hours of Tokyo Mirage Sessions this weekend, well into the second chapter now. It's a really solid RPG. The combat is very Persona-ish. The story is very Japanese, and if you aren't a fan of J-Pop this certainly isn't your game. I'm playing under Normal difficulty, and I've already had 3 game-over screens so far, so it isn't simple (unless you're playing on easier difficulties). All of those game-overs have been from the special rare "savage" enemies that show up in dungeons occasionally, so it certainly keeps you on your toes. The dungeons are well-designed, and the overall presentation is very stylish. I'm really enjoying it so far.

#202 Indignate   Hell Yeah, I’m the Motherfucking Princess! CAGiversary!   18526 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

Posted 27 June 2016 - 05:29 PM

What if I thought K-Pop was better than J-Pop?

#203 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5136 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 27 June 2016 - 05:31 PM

Played about 10 hours of Tokyo Mirage Sessions this weekend, well into the second chapter now. It's a really solid RPG. The combat is very Persona-ish. The story is very Japanese, and if you aren't a fan of J-Pop this certainly isn't your game. I'm playing under Normal difficulty, and I've already had 3 game-over screens so far, so it isn't simple (unless you're playing on easier difficulties). All of those game-overs have been from the special rare "savage" enemies that show up in dungeons occasionally, so it certainly keeps you on your toes. The dungeons are well-designed, and the overall presentation is very stylish. I'm really enjoying it so far.

For the most part I agree and for the most part I enjoy it for its gameplay. It's mainly Persona with about 30% Fire Emblem thrown in. The couple things that kind of grate me a bit are:

1) If you are someone who skips a decent amount of normal enemies like I do in games and tend to approach things a little underlevel then this game will be rather frustrating at times. Mostly because the bosses are set to be several levels ahead of a normal persons progression and damage is very much primarily level based. This leaves you with either grinding, skipping less enemies or using the DLC dungeons (Which also came with the SE) to mitigate it. This also translates into drops after Chapter 1 as well since you need a lot more of the higher tier stars to craft carnage weapons and learn radiant skills. Oh and Stage Level is determined by how many battles the character has been in (or is it sessions? Which at 7 or 8, sub-cast can join sessions and not sure if that counts).

2) Sidequests aren't recorded anywhere which is kinda stupid. I have no idea how many more people I need to recruit on this mission unless I go and find the stupid quest giver and talk to him. Annoying, especially if you don't finish a quest before you save and quit, then proceed to forget it when you pick it back up.

3) I hate how it forces you to use the Wii U Gamepad for main story and side story progression. Oh and how the only map is located on the Wii U Gamepad.

4) Being a primarily PC gamer running SSDs, the load times for everything can be slightly irritating as it's longer than your average console game and how frequent you encounter load screens (Menu/Battle/Map Transition/Scene Transition). I've had a couple times where I initiated a skill and the camera just stared at the character for an extra two seconds before it finally went off.

I pretty much always carry Smoke Machines for Savage Encounters. I don't really find them worth fighting with how easily they can wipe your party if you have bad composition against them as they're repeatedly exploiting your weak points. At least for new Savage encounters.

#204 detectiveconan16   Delicious! CAGiversary!   7042 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

detectiveconan16

Posted 27 June 2016 - 11:28 PM

Don't you dare Square Enix. What happened to artistic vision?

Batsugunner.png

#205 Indignate   Hell Yeah, I’m the Motherfucking Princess! CAGiversary!   18526 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 05:44 AM

Integrity and Faithlessness

#206 elessar123  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 05:58 PM

What if I thought K-Pop was better than J-Pop?

You can't have opinions on fact.

Spoiler

#207 Feeding the Abscess   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3240 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

Feeding the Abscess

Posted 28 June 2016 - 06:21 PM

Don't you dare Square Enix. What happened to artistic vision?

I'd pay SE to have every character wear that outfit.

Anti-State, Anti-War, Pro-Market

ThroneofSeth.png

#208 Sir_Fragalot   wants Startropics 3. CAGiversary!   8626 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Sir_Fragalot

Posted 29 June 2016 - 03:14 AM

Just really started Tokyo Mirage Sessions. Is there a way to know when you collected all the pieces to a new carnage weapon while in a dungeon without backtracking?

Have to quit for tonight but I was wondering before I get into the second dungeon.

125063.png808669.png
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#209 Krymner   Yup, I think you're sexy CAGiversary!   2911 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 07:54 PM

Just really started Tokyo Mirage Sessions. Is there a way to know when you collected all the pieces to a new carnage weapon while in a dungeon without backtracking?

Have to quit for tonight but I was wondering before I get into the second dungeon.

You usually get a text when you have all the pieces for a new carnage or radiant unity, so checking thru those texts is the only way I know of.

#210 Sir_Fragalot   wants Startropics 3. CAGiversary!   8626 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Sir_Fragalot

Posted 29 June 2016 - 09:28 PM

You usually get a text when you have all the pieces for a new carnage or radiant unity, so checking thru those texts is the only way I know of.

Oh, nice. I was wondering because some characters need a new weapon and want to get them immediately once I can do it.

125063.png808669.png
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly