XBox One Back Compatability Thread - 6/10/19 - RIP Back Compatibility. Final batch listed in post #2

KaneRobot

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
See wiki post below - post #3 contains additional information regarding specific games.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADDITIONAL PERFORMANCE INFORMATION

If people want to write up anything on performance of individual games (ie [insert game] has terrible framerate / audio glitches / etc") I can add them here for reference. Just post in the thread and I'll occasionally update this post.

**Some general notes** - 360 emulation on the X1 has V-Sync enforced, while the 360 often does not. This can sometimes result in higher framerate on the 360, but at the expense of screen tearing. The inverse of that is, the X1 will make the game run more smoothly, but sometimes at the expense of framerate.

CPU-intensive processes (scenarios where a lot of AI characters are interacting - combat scenes, heavily populated towns, etc) often wind up performing better in terms of framerate on the 360, while GPU intensive processes (cutscenes, areas where AI characters are not as present) wind up performing better on the X1. The preceding comments especially seem to be true on Unreal Engine 3 games, but again this is not a "rule." Just a trend among some of the more in-depth tests that have been run on sites like Digital Foundry and Eurogamer. Also note that when played on XBox One X, performance is almost always noticeably improved over both 360 and X1, even if it's not specifically enhanced for X1X.

-----

Alan Wake
Framerate/smoothness is as good or better than the 360, but there are some issues with crushed blacks that the 360 does not present. This can make some areas of the game difficult to navigate as everything is "too dark." Adjusting your brightness/contrast can help alleviate this problem somewhat.

Alan Wake's American Nightmare
Framerate/smoothness is as good or better than the 360, but there are some issues with crushed blacks that the 360 does not present. This can make some areas of the game difficult to navigate as everything is "too dark." Adjusting your brightness/contrast can help alleviate this problem somewhat.

Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts

Framerate, especially when involving longer draw distances, can run into some issues no present on the 360.

Bayonetta

Very similar to 360 performance graphically. Eliminates screen tearing. Very slight input lag compared to 360 version.

Bioshock

Significant improvement on X1 if you unlock the framerate in the options menu. Doing so results in frequent 60 FPS gameplay.

Bioshock 2

Slight improvement on X1. Not as impressive as playing Bioshock 1 on X1.

Call of Duty 2
Improved on X1. Double frame buffer that was used when playing on 360 would cause the framerate to temporarily lock at 30 when the system became taxed, while the framerate on X1 is a near constant 60fps.

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Improved on X1. Generally smoother performance than on the 360.

Call of Duty: Ghosts

Improved on X1. More consistent 60 FPS. Funny enough, it's also a more stable framerate than the X1 version of the game (which obviously has better overall graphics than the 360 version) - so from a pure performance perspective, playing the 360 version on the X1 is your best option. Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnztSP2ojoE

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Improved on X1. More consistent 60 FPS on X1, locked 60 FPS on X1X.

Condemned: Criminal Origins
Framerate on the X1 is actually higher than the 360, but uneven, which can cause minor judder. The 360 version is usually judder-free topping out at 30 fps, but also has framerate dips that the X1 does not.

Crysis 3

Frame rate is better on X1 (and even better than that on X1X), but frame pacing is still a problem - eg, X1X usually runs at 31-32 fps.

Dark Souls
Crushed blacks, similar to the Alan Wake titles. Per Eurogamer's testing, "Frame-pacing is also noticeably worse, meaning that 30fps areas often see 16, 33 or 50ms updates, as opposed to the mostly flat, more pleasingly consistent 33ms seen on Xbox 360." NOTE FOR XBOX ONE X: Framerate is improved across the board when playing on XBox One X, although the game is not specifically enhanced for the console and is still not a locked 30 FPS.

Dragon Age Origins

Generally more stable framerate than the 360.

Fallout 3

Gears of War

Far Cry 3

Improved on X1. Significantly more stable 30 fps than the 360 version.

Gears of War 3
UPDATED October 2016 - Recent patch noticeably improves performance. Previously had framerate drops, especially in horde mode.

Gears of War: Judgement
UPDATED October 2016 - Recent patch noticeably improves performance. Previously had significant framerate drops throughout.

Grand Theft Auto IV & Grand Theft Auto: Episodes From Liberty City

UPDATED - patch improves issues, game is now very close to 360 performance - usually has slightly higher framerate than 360. Prior to patch, frame pacing issues could give the game a "stuttering" look.

Halo Reach
UPDATED October 2016 - Recent patch vastly improves what was horrible performance. Game is very playable now, only minor, infrequent slowdown in some spots in multiplayer, with improved singleplayer framerate over the 360 version.

Hydro Thunder

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Improved on X1. Generally smoother performance than on the 360. Locked 60 fps on X1X.

Mafia II

​Improved on X1. Much closer to locked 30 fps on X1, only dipping during heavy action. Solid locked 30 fps on X1X.

Mass Effect
(Updates improved performance after initial back compatibility release). Cutscenes often exhibit better performance, while combat scenes still show some significant framerate dips - which is consistent with the original 360 release, so performance is accurate. However, on Xbox One X, the framerate is more stable during combat scenes, making X1X the easy best choice if you have it.

Metal Gear Rising Revengeance

Improved on X1. Generally more stable 60 fps performance than on the 360.

Mirror's Edge

Improved overall performance on X1, but some flickering can occur.

Pinball FX
Although most tables appear to perform well, there can be framerate drops at times with certain tables. Most notably, the table "Agents" will start off fine, but after several minutes of play you'll begin to experience frame drops, which in a pinball game is a severe hindrance. Similar, less extreme issues were noticed in the "Buccaneer" table. A small amount of the FX1 tables carry over to the X1 version of FX2 (see info here). If you are looking to play the FX1 only tables, it's best to just play on the 360 if available.

Rage

Noticable audio issues. Some users reporting crashes to dashboard as well.

Red Dead Redemption

Saints Row

Improved on X1. Consistent 30 fps on both X1 / X1X where drops occurred on the 360.

Sonic The Hedgehog
Very slight input lag when compared to playing on the 360. (possibly due to enforced V sync on X1)

Sonic The Hedgehog 2
Very slight input lag when compared to playing on the 360. (possibly due to enforced V sync on X1)

Sonic The Hedgehog 3
Very slight input lag when compared to playing on the 360 (possibly due to enforced V sync on X1)

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

Usually fine, but after playing the game for a while an issue can occur where the game begins to gradually slow down to the point of unplayability. Exiting and relaunching the game resolves the issue. This does not appear to occur on the X1X due to the graphics/performance enhancements.

Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Vegas
More noticable framerate dips than the 360, especially during heavy combat.

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent

X1 holds close to 30 fps, with occasional dips into the low 20s. X1X is near constant 30fps, with only rare dips into the mid 20s. Both are significant upgrades over the 360, which can drop into the low teens on some occasions.

Trials HD
Performance is fine, but online replays are broken.

Viva Pinata
Although it doesn't reach the temporary framerate highs of playing it on the 360, the VSync actually causes the experience to come off more smoothly on the X1. Occasional slowdown during cutscenes, but gameplay itself is as good as the 360.

Meh, I think it's one iteration behind so not a big deal.
OP, if you can Wikify the second post this can be a community effort!
Can't do that on non OPs, but I actually meant to do it on the first one anyway.

If anyone edits the list with new stuff please keep it in the new stuff at the top/bolded setup.

Depending on how this goes I may add performance notes in the reserved post (ie "Reach performance suuuucks" / "Reach is kind of fixed now") if anyone wants to report on stuff.

From the other thread that people shouldn't be using anymore, TTT2 works with a workaround:

David Hibiki:

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 works as well but requires a bit of work around. You need to follow someone who has played it and check their followers. You can use me: David Hibiki, and look at who I'm following and you should find Tekken Tag Tournament 2.

Started color coding the list based on performance, so the wikification may come in handy here. If you've spent some time on any of the games not already color-coded, feel free to color them yourself.

For any text-based feedback, I'll try to gather up what people post in this thread and put it in the second post.

Started color coding the list based on performance, so the wikification may come in handy here. If you've spent some time on any of the games not already color-coded, feel free to color them yourself.

For any text-based feedback, I'll try to gather up what people post in this thread and put it in the second post.
Color coding is nice and all, but I feel the need to point out that formatting like that doesn't display on Tapatalk. Not crapping on the effort by any means. Just letting you know.

Color coding is nice and all, but I feel the need to point out that formatting like that doesn't display on Tapatalk. Not crapping on the effort by any means. Just letting you know.
Good to know. Thanks. I'll add some other indicator as well.

-----

MS has confirmed a few future games. No timetable.

Bioshock
Bioshock 2
Bioshock Infinite
CoD Black Ops
Halo Wars

Per NeoGAF, a list of games that have been at least tested by MS, but if the publisher doesn't give the OK it won't matter and we won't see them:
Alan Wake
Asura's Wrath
Batman Arkham Asylum
Batman Arkham City
Bayonetta
Castlevania Symphony of the Night
CoD 2
CoD 4
CoD Modern Warfare 3
Crackdown
Crackdown 2
Dead Island
Dead island Riptide
Dragonball Z Xenoverse
Harms Way
HItman Absolution
Left 4 Dead
Left 4 Dead 2
Metal Gear HD Collection
Portal 2
Red Dead Redemption
Resident Evil
Risen
Skyrim
Sonic Adventure
Soul Calibur IV
Street Fighter IV
Toy Story 3
Tron Evolution

Per NeoGAF, a list of games that have been at least tested by MS, but if the publisher doesn't give the OK it won't matter and we won't see them:

Alan Wake
Asura's Wrath
Batman Arkham Asylum
Batman Arkham City
Bayonetta
Castlevania Symphony of the Night
CoD 2
CoD 4
CoD Modern Warfare 3
Crackdown
Crackdown 2
Dead Island
Dead island Riptide
Dragonball Z Xenoverse
Harms Way
HItman Absolution
Left 4 Dead
Left 4 Dead 2
Metal Gear HD Collection
Portal 2
Red Dead Redemption
Resident Evil
Risen
Skyrim
Sonic Adventure
Soul Calibur IV
Street Fighter IV
Toy Story 3
Tron Evolution
Hopefully the pubs wouldn't waste MS's time by letting them work on the games and then tell them "Nope." I imagine unless there are crippling technical difficulties, we'll see this list of game in our "Ready to Install" section soon®!

Since the Wii U version of Bayonetta seems to be the "definitive" version, with the X360 version in a close second and PS3 well behind, I'm curious to see how it would work via X1 BC.  I think either amazing or trainwreck without anything in-between.

Man this is weird, but I was going directly from 360 version to X1 versions on all three of the Genesis-era Sonic games to code them on the list, and there is definitely a slight input lag on the X1. I've never noticed this on any of the other games, but then again I haven't done any direct back-to-back comparisons. Makes me wonder if this is a wide issue that isn't super noticeable without a direct comparison, or if it's just something that happens on the Sonic (or maybe any of those Genesis-emulated ports).

I knew Reach performance was garbage just based on the massive amount of negative feedback it got, but good lord does that game run like shit on the X1. What a damn shame for one of the best Halo games.

The loophole to play Tekken Tag 2 (mentioned above) is now closed. Apparently that same trick worked for Alan Wake's American Nightmare, Left 4 Dead 2, Halo Wars, and Castlevania SOTN. So that confirms some of the earlier stuff about what's in testing (and adds American Nightmare to the list).

Great thread KaneRobot, I was actually going to ask and look around for some performance info on some backward compatible games.

(Problay won't get to them anytime soon, but nice to know my growing backlog of games will run well or not when I have the time lol)

Hitman Absolution confirmed as a "near future" release.

Coded a few more games on the list, all from Digital Foundry tests. I do have a couple more not yet done that are in my library that I'll try to get to sometime over the next week.

*EDIT* - Alan Wake confirmed as future back compatible, as it'll be included for people that preorder Quantum Break.

*EDIT 2* - New games out today, see the OP list.

Updated. Also Dark Souls is apparently coming at some point. Maybe it'll be a freebie for people buying DS3.

*EDIT - confirmed, DS1 included for people who buy DS3.

will performance notes in this thread be updated as titles get BC preformance updates? is halo reach still that bad?

kane, are you doing the game testing by yourself or do you want input from the community as well? i appreciate what you've done so far!

Anyone that wants to update the OP with results, please do. I only have a couple more games on that list that I haven't tried yet, so my usefulness in that department is quickly running out. It's only gonna be as good as the number of people that contribute (similar to the install sizes thread for 360).

And yeah, I'll update stuff if/when it changes. Reach still blows. I can't imagine how bad it was before it was supposedly "improved." When I first put this together I was under the impression N+ was not "green" status since there were framerate issues with it back when back compat first launched. After seeing sites reporting it had since then improved to performance on par with the 360 I changed it to green.

Unrelated PSA:

Go upvote my idea pllllleassseeeee. My available games list is bordering on too large at this point. I need to hide stuff, but just because I hide it doesn't mean I don't want to eventually go back to it, and searching through the store just to download it again is a pain in the ass. This would add a collapsed "hidden" area to My Games list that can be expanded to view your hidden titles all in one place.

https://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/251646-apps/suggestions/12407232-add-an-expandable-hidden-area-to-my-games-apps

EDIT - Thanks to those who upvoted. I saw in the video update for this month that you can view your hidden items by hitting (if I remember right) both triggers and X. That solution sucks and is easily forgettable, so I'd urge people to still upvote.

Geometry Wars (after being removed a while back) is now showing up again for people.

EDIT - Carcassonne also added.

Did they add both dead island games yet because there both on sale right now for 3 each

Looks like the long rumored EA Access / backwards compatibility drop has begun. Plants vs Zombies is up now. Hopefully more soon (BURNOUT GAMES PLEASE).

Did they add both dead island games yet because there both on sale right now for 3 each
Well now they just announced the remake combo package coming to X1, so that means it's really unlikely you'll be seeing the older games BC anytime soon. Also explains why they just went on sale, trying to milk a few more sales before making this announcement.

Well now they just announced the remake combo package coming to X1, so that means it's really unlikely you'll be seeing the older games BC anytime soon. Also explains why they just went on sale, trying to milk a few more sales before making this announcement.
I'm expecting a port on the level of either Dishonored or Darksiders II, where it's not going to be a huge endorsement to pick them up on X1. I could certainly be surprised and have them get it right where it's a worthwhile port, though I'm keeping expectations low.

I'm expecting a port on the level of either Dishonored or Darksiders II, where it's not going to be a huge endorsement to pick them up on X1. I could certainly be surprised and have them get it right where it's a worthwhile port, though I'm keeping expectations low.
The other remasters they have under their belt are SRIV and the Metro Redux games, so that's something.

Some sites reporting they've spotted Crackdown, Crackdown 2, Mass Effect 3 and Bomberman Live. Can't confirm for myself yet if this is accurate.

Seriously, ME3 but not 2? I finally hit the backlog and JUST started playing ME2 last week after accepting the idea that 2 and 3 wouldn't be coming anytime soon so I may as well play on the 360. Whatever. I kinda want to go back and mess around with Crackdown.

Also, they're making it so you can buy 360 games that are BC via the XBone dashboard. Update is out for preview members already.

Some people have spotted Crackdown, Crackdown 2, Mass Effect 3 and Bomberman Live.

Seriously, ME3 but not 2? I finally hit the backlog and JUST started playing ME2 last week after accepting the idea that 2 and 3 wouldn't be coming anytime soon so I may as well play on the 360. Whatever. I kinda want to go back and mess around with Crackdown.

Also, they're making it so you can buy 360 games that are BC via the XBone dashboard. Update is out for preview members already.
I haven't confirmed this myself (I keep forgetting), but it sounds like if you try to buy a :360: game from your :xb1: console that you cannot use MS credit but have to use an attached credit card or PayPal account instead.

Would anyone be interested in adding disc compilation compatibility for 360BC stuff? I have been testing my discs as BC becomes available, and have most of the compilations (PopCaps, Namco Museum, Qubed, Xbox Live Compilations), most work now but didn't always at launch (took a bit for the Qubed retail disc to allow me to install Lumines Live! and such). Figured I could add my info to the wiki if there's interest!

Left 4 Dead 2, Tekken Tag 2 and a few other titles got "updates". Note that those titles are not available to play that I listed so something is still going on/they are still being worked. I feel like it's going to be Soon(tm) that we get some big BC titles.... or MS is just gonna drag this out till E3 to show off some big titles like Red Dead, Left 4 Dead etc.

Would anyone be interested in adding disc compilation compatibility for 360BC stuff? I have been testing my discs as BC becomes available, and have most of the compilations (PopCaps, Namco Museum, Qubed, Xbox Live Compilations), most work now but didn't always at launch (took a bit for the Qubed retail disc to allow me to install Lumines Live! and such). Figured I could add my info to the wiki if there's interest!
I added a section at the bottom of the OP for this, if you (or anyone else) wants to edit in some info.

Some sites reporting they've spotted Crackdown, Crackdown 2, Mass Effect 3 and Bomberman Live. Can't confirm for myself yet if this is accurate.
Not seeing Crackdown or Bomberman so I'm assuming it's all inaccurate. Could have been someone saw something they weren't supposed to like Red Dead.

Not seeing Crackdown or Bomberman so I'm assuming it's all inaccurate. Could have been someone saw something they weren't supposed to like Red Dead.
http://www.breathecast.com/articles/xbox-one-backward-compatibility-list-2016-game-titles-update-to-be-released-this-month-32910/

Seeing it here. I'll look for more reports?

Edit: I've been able to get the icons but I think this is just a means of playing the 360 title then switching to the X1 to "follow" them. Which you can do with a lot of 360 titles. Either way I hope we hear some news soon....

Added what info I could provide on comp discs. I don't personally own PopCap Vol.1 but it should work for Bejeweled 2, Feeding Frenzy and Zuma as well.

The Qubed compilation includes a variety of DLC for Lumines on disc, but I didn't notice any DLC in the manage games section when it was installed, however this could be like a few of the other titles where the DLC is included in the base download like Borderlands having all DLC regardless.

There's a few other discs out there, so any other info would greatly be appreciated! I was surprised besides the Namco disc, just about all of these worked fine since launch, I'm glad! :D/

so can you play LFD 2
Probably not. I was able to download it and play it a little bit the day it was leaked, but since then every time I tried to start the game it would ask if I own it (which I do). That just means that XBL locked the game down because it isn't ready for prime time.

Also, there is the chance that if you try to play any BC games before they are ready for GA your account could get flagged, so I backed off from downloading the games. before they are ready. :)

Decent update. Alan Wake, Castlevania SOTN, and Pac-Man are now on Major Nelson's list. Will check out SOTN tonight or tomorrow if it's working.

bread's done
Back