CAG Niche Backloggers Anonymous (Monster Hunter World!) [February]

BlackRockWaifu

CAGiversary!
CAG Niche Backlogs Anonymous, don't be ashamed, welcome aboard! We'll help deal with your collecting and hoarding addictions, one game at a time!

Here, we work on tackling a different video game in our backlog every month. We vote on the game and afterwards, begin playing with our fellow CAGs.

We are open to discussions about the game's mechanics/story, pros/cons/flaws, tips playing the game/making playthroughs easier, "what if" scenarios, fanart/cosplay/fanfiction, multiplayer meetups, encouraging others the finish the game, talking about sequels/what game to play next, deals for the game, reviews of the game, and etc.

Backlog Game of the Month: Monster Hunter World (PS4/XB1) (February)

Monster-Hunter-World-PS4-Boxart.jpg

Synopsis: Hunter monsters with friends. (Credits to Me)

Approximate Game Length: Many (Main story), Even more (Completion/Platinum) (Credits to Howlongtobeat/Me)

Best deal to purchase the game

Best Buy GCU

Wall of Fame

[Accolades of those who have finished game]

(I wouldn't mind putting a link to a screenshot of the trophy/achievement screen if you post one)

Atelier Rorona Plus (May)

Krymner (Main Story)

Midori Monkey (Platinum Trophy)

Sirpikaz (Platinum Trophy)

Valkyria Chronicles Remastered (June/July)

Kickalillas2 (Main Story)

Midori Monkey (Platinum Trophy)

Sirpikaz (Main Story)

Gershomcz (Platinum Trophy)

Steins;Gate (August/September)

Gershomcz (Platinum Trophy)

Thatguy1513 (Main Story)

Persona 4 Golden (September/October/November)

Sirpikaz (Main Story)

Gershomcz

Akiba's Trip Undead and Undressed (November/December)

Deadofnight (Platinum)

BlackRockWaifu (Platinum)

Sirpikaz (Main Story)

Bloodborne (December)

Gershomcz (Platinum)

BlackRockWaifu (Platinum)

Elessar (Platinum)

Final Fantasy XV & Ni No Kuni (February/March)

Deadofnight (Main Story) [FFXV]

Sirpikaz (Platinum) [NNK]

BlackRockWaifu (Main Story) [FFXV]

Persona 5 (April/May/June)

Tora Chan

Elessar123

BlackRockWaifu

Hostyl1

Godofwar7

Thatguy1513

Krymner

Pheria

Deadofnight

Draekon

Draco259

Sirpikaz

Gravity Rush/Yakuza/Catherine (July)

BlackRockWaifu (Gravity Rush/Platinum)

Draco259 (Gravity Rush)

Gershomcz (Gravity Rush)

Reviews/Thoughts of game

[Reviews from helpful CAGs who like sharing their opinion] (limited to one per poster)

Rules

1) We'll have a designated backlog game every month, where anyone is free to participate if you have the game (or any versions similar). 

2) Spoilers for the game should be kept in a spoiler tag, and be marked accordingly. Failure to do so will result in a spanking. Spoilers may include: story elements, gameplay twists, etc.

3) Suggestions for a new game for the next month will start a week before the next game is started. In the final 2-3 days of the week, suggestions will be tallied, and the most popular 5-10 choices will be put into the topic poll in which we will vote for the game.

4) Discussion of the game is encouraged, again, if story elements are involved, please put it under a spoiler tag and if it is a reply, quote the person you are discussing it with.

5) Arguments of game's system and flaws are allowed, but please keep these conversations civil and refrain from personal attacks. (Unless said person is a giant jackass)

Recommendations

1) Please be nice to your fellow addicts, we are all under a recovery process and it would be great to offer encouragement to one another to get through a certain level, or tips on how to beat a boss or farm levels. If it is a multiplayer game, working together is also encouraged.

2) Please keep an open mind towards the games suggested, not everyone might have a certain system or platform. Suggestions may be any game, but recommended ones are those that are multi-platform, or at least multi-system (as in like PS systems may all have the same game). Game should be a Niche game (I guess?) but can also be other bigger titles as well. 40-60 hours is the recommended length, and RPGs will probably be common.

3) Also keep an open mind when picking these games. If a game you do not have is picked that month, then I am sorry, you have to either buy it or wait a month. If you have played it already and beaten it, then feel free to join in the discussions at least. But please (and I really can see people doing this) do not whine if a game you want isn't chosen.

4) If you have not beaten a game yet but the month is over, by all means, do continue playing it. This isn't a super strict forum or anything, go ahead and finish the game even if the discussion has moved on.

5) There will be an accolades section, a wall of fame for anyone who has finished the game, this can include 100%, a platinum trophy, or just seeing the credits roll down the screen. 

6) Discussions of the game in an external context is also encouraged. This can involve: Fan Art, Cosplay postings, "What if" scenarios, What the game does well/bad?, What other games are good recommendations after playing this game.

7) If we ever have a PS4 game with multiplayer, both the Japanese Niche Community, and the CAG players on PSN Community are great and welcoming places to organize online events and lobbies.

This is a BlackRockWaifu likes your post thread. Shhhh...

Last edited by a moderator:
I do want to play other games other than Enter the Gungeon and have a massive backlog so hopefully will be able to fully participate. 

So we get 3 suggestions? If so then I suggest SAO: Re: Hollow and Steins;Gate.

Will edit if I see another good choice.

I second SAO: Hallow - I have the region 3 release and am stagnated on floor 89-90.

Lost Dimensions

Trillion

Ragnarok Odyssey Ace (I know that's four, but I am all post-game on it and I'd love to rope some other CAG'ers into playing, or help out a fellow CAG'er get up there)

:)

Awesome! This sounds great, and if a game is chosen that I have, I'll definitely participate. So, now I need to vote.

Ni No Kuni

SAO Re: Hollow Fragment

Tales of Graces f

Also, what might be helpful is if someone familiar with the game chosen can give some guidelines on the length of the game. Just some basic, spoiler-free things like "Chapter 4 is about the halfway point" or "When you have six party members to choose from, you're about 2/3 of the way through the game" to help people keep pace to finish at the end of the month. Obviously we can't really "require" that, but if someone ends up volunteering, I know I would appreciate the info.

I don't want anyone to put through the torture of trillion honestly. I just don't think it's a very good game. Still working on it....and honestly don't want to go back.

I wouldn't mind Hollow Fragment as I bought the PS4 version on sale. I also suggest Trails in the Sky 1 (yeah I know i'm behind) and tales of graces F or tales of xillia there.

Ni No Kuni

Tales of Xillia

Demon Gaze

Been meaning to get to these games for a long time. But this also means I'll have to find a spot to hook my PS3 back up.

Thanks guys for the support!

I started tallying the votes, and I will still use the poll idea, but since I see a lot of overlapping suggestions already, the games with the highest # of suggestions will get priority. This means if there is a tie in the polls, the game with higher priority wins.

Great suggestion from Whirlwindmonk, I added a synopsis and approximate game length section, if nobody knows it, I'll just google the info online.

Also added a Current Deal for Game section, so other's without the game can join in if price is right.

I would like to start on May 1st, since it's the start of the month, and so voting begins on Saturday.

A lot of these ideas are great, and I personally think there's a lot of room left to improve on. I welcome and am grateful for any additional suggestions. Also keep in mind none of these rules are final, I just want to establish a few to keep things running, but anything can change as long as it keeps us moving forward. Thanks!

Hopefully I'm able to keep up with this thread as well, as I really like the idea. My suggestions are:

Tales of Graces f

Hyperdimension Neptunia (Original/Rebirth 1)

Atelier Rorona (Plus)

I have already started the first two, so I thought I'd suggest them to motivate myself to finish them. Suggested Rorona since it's on both PS3 and Vita (which Neptunia is as well).

Nier

Tales of Vesperia

Drakengard III

If you guys played Graces f, I might find the excuse to play through a fourth time.

I'd be down for Graces f. I just started it and I'm still early on.

I'd also be in for Rorona Plus.

Ragnarok Odyssey Ace would also be good since it's currently on sale and can be played online.

I'll throw out another vote for SAO Hollow Fragment. I imported the Asian Vita release but haven't touched it yet - we'd probably have some interesting discussion comparing versions on that one. 

Hey guys, I updated the current standings.

Also wanted to say, if a game is picked, any version that is available can be played. Like Kameleon has a great example with Neptunia, both old and Rebirth, and I would even say the Steam version should be played too. Another example would be P4G and the original P4.

I wanted to get a few opinions, it seems there's quite a bit of support so far for SAO. I was wondering if you guys wanted to do the poll, and have it open to people who might not chat often, or just tally it by suggestions in the thread. Because if we have a poll, there's a chance that outside votes can wind up overwhelming the thread users, but also gets a greater range of opinions. Its up to you guys though, I just want to make it fair.

Also surprised Whoknows did not suggest Time and Eternity but should not give any ideas.

Thanks guys!

Hey guys, I updated the current standings.

Also wanted to say, if a game is picked, any version that is available can be played. Like Kameleon has a great example with Neptunia, both old and Rebirth, and I would even say the Steam version should be played too. Another example would be P4G and the original P4.

I wanted to get a few opinions, it seems there's quite a bit of support so far for SAO. I was wondering if you guys wanted to do the poll, and have it open to people who might not chat often, or just tally it by suggestions in the thread. Because if we have a poll, there's a chance that outside votes can wind up overwhelming the thread users, but also gets a greater range of opinions. Its up to you guys though, I just want to make it fair.

Also surprised Whoknows did not suggest Time and Eternity but should not give any ideas.

Thanks guys!
I think I would rather do the poll, so that if the top three are all things I didn't vote for, I have a chance to have a say in which of the three gets picked. That said, I don't have that huge of a preference. I'm certainly not going to storm out of the thread if we decide to skip the poll.

I don't mind the poll idea but think a top 10 is too much and will scatter the votes. A top 3 or 5 would be better. Preferably a top 3.

Hey everyone,

Changed the title to Backloggers Anonymous instead, sounds a little better imo, can change it back if you guys want.

I think Gershomcz has a great idea, top 10 really well scatter too much so a lesser number is best. I think I want to try a system where we do a top 3, and if there is a tie in any of those choices for 3rd, we expand to top 5. Is that ok? 

And I have another "sorta rule", I'm gonna treat the earlier posts as a joke, but in case anyone really does want to change their suggestions, please either quote your previous post or list your previous suggestions. This would make things a lot easier for me.

Tomorrow is the last day to give/change suggestions, voting will begin on Saturday and conclude Sunday night. Thank you!

Hey everyone,

Changed the title to Backloggers Anonymous instead, sounds a little better imo, can change it back if you guys want.

I think Gershomcz has a great idea, top 10 really well scatter too much so a lesser number is best. I think I want to try a system where we do a top 3, and if there is a tie in any of those choices for 3rd, we expand to top 5. Is that ok?

And I have another "sorta rule", I'm gonna treat the earlier posts as a joke, but in case anyone really does want to change their suggestions, please either quote your previous post or list your previous suggestions. This would make things a lot easier for me.

Tomorrow is the last day to give/change suggestions, voting will begin on Saturday and conclude Sunday night. Thank you!
I like the top 3 and quoting past suggestions idea.

Also you should probably promote it in the Niche thread a few times since I believe many didn't see it and it got lost in all the posts. Having a mod put it in the OP is also a good idea.

I think a poll would be better than having everyone vote by posting. While it gives random people the chance to vote, it can also give those that are following along but don't have time to post a chance. Doesn't mean there's going to be a lot of people that are simply following along, but I know that sometimes I find it hard to chime in since I'm so busy.

I like the idea of a top three for now. Maybe if we get enough people participating we can expand it to a top five.

Alright this poll thing is a real pain in the ass. It doesn't let me edit it to delete the old one and add a new one. I also can't delete any extra questions. I don't see why they don't have a reset button or something like that.

Anyway, I tried my best to make it work, deleted the old choices and added some new ones. You guys might have to recast your votes though, since it's still saved to the older choices. I have 5 choices this time because Ni No Kuni, Ragnarok Odyessey, and Atelier all tied with 3 votes somehow. 

Yeah, let the voting begin! (If I can't find a solution to the poll thing, I might have to use another online poll, or tally suggestions.)

Alright, in a sudden turn of events, Atelier Rorona is leading in the polls! I feel like there's a discrepancy  between the polls and suggestions tally since the poll system is so screwed up. So I'm gonna close the poll at midnight, so get your last votes in.

I think I'll change the voting system next time, anyone have any good suggestions?

Alright, in a sudden turn of events, Atelier Rorona is leading in the polls! I feel like there's a discrepancy between the polls and suggestions tally since the poll system is so screwed up. So I'm gonna close the poll at midnight, so get your last votes in.

I think I'll change the voting system next time, anyone have any good suggestions?
Rorona sounds good, I have the PS3 plus version :)

I'm sitting the month out if Rorona wins. Not to be contrary, but this is to shrink backlogs not grow them, and I don't own it. :p

That's fine. I would sit out if SAO won. Unsure about Ragnarok. I like Ragnarok, but not a huge fan of monster hunter type games.

This month's game is Atelier Rorona Plus! (Vita/PS3) Enjoy! Feel free to discuss anything, and if you beat the game/platinum it, share your accomplishment or post a screenshot and I'll be more than happy to put it up into the wall of fame!

Suggestions for next month will come the last week of May, 23rd, and Voting begins that weekend.

Thread is updated with info on synopsis, game length, and layout.

I don't have this game and I didn't vote or suggest anything this time either to keep things fair. So enjoy and I'll post some sexy cosplay or something.

Also, I was thinking about opening a new thread every month to tally suggestions and have a poll. Mods might think it's spam though so I don't know if it'll be approved, but this forum is pretty barren so maybe they will allow it.

I just finished Root Double...I have Dark Souls 3 to finish, but I will work on Rorona Plus as well. Played the original back in the day but just never finished it. Hopefully this one is better.

I'll be sitting out this month since Rorona Plus is a game I have GASP beaten already! But I'll be sticking around to help answer questions/see reactions/etc. Good luck and have fun everyone giving this game a go for the first time!

Going to start Rorona Plus on Friday likely. Today I will try the Overwatch beta. I did play plenty of Team Fortress 2 back in the day so I hope it's aight. I hope I do finish Rorona Plus this month though. I have so many of those Atelier games in my backlog it's not funny anymore.

I don't have Atelier Rorona, so I'll skip out this month, but I do want to see a little more activity here.

So I was thinking of having something akin to an actual anonymous meeting:

Where people who have the game and will participate start at the beginning of the month, and post a message saying who they are, what they expect out of this game/where they are in their backlog, and how far along do they hope to get.

For example: Hi, I'm BlackRockWaifu, I expect to clear yet another game from my endless PS3 backlog, and I expect to beat the story, but not enough to get the platinum.

This way you kinda have a goal in mind, and it'll encourage conversation and give us a little place to start from. We could also use "likes" as applause, in order to be respectful.

Sorry if this idea seems a little harsh, and I don't want to push anything on others. But this might be a good way to get us started. Lemme know what you guys think.

Hi i'm known in a few places as nitrosmob, and I do have a backlog problem. It all started likely around the PSX/N64 era, but I played all my games then. When I started game trading on Goozex around the PS2's lifespan I realized I had a problem where many games where coming in, but not many were being played. I now do too many cheap price niche and games in general and buy into bundles way too often. I am working to clear the backlog starting with 2 games.

I am working on Dark Souls 3 and took a break mainly cause I was getting a bit tired of it, though it was fun. This is around 33 hours in and about 65-70% completion. I will be playing that along with the other game I'll mention below. I generally don't do multiplayer on these games as I move decently slow in them and also I really get that awesome feeling killing the bosses alone. It's just the way I've always played the games, which was usually the case as the multiplayer was shoddy and rarely worked in the older games.

I am taking on the challenge of Rorona Plus as well. My story with the game goes back a while. I actually bought the original non plus game a while back at Gamestop (for the bigger box hardcover artbook version), and I began to play it. I got about 20 hours in and I just stopped. I was enjoying the game but just never finished. I will be attempting to complete the game, and I've heard it's a lot more streamlined than the original. I keep buying all the Plus versions (plus an original here or there) on sale, so I need to nip this series already. It looks fun and I greatly enjoyed Atelier Iris 1 and 2 for the PS2, so it's perfect for me. I hope to finish both games by the end of the month.

My main problem is finishing games, and I will aim to at least get the gold trophy or such for completing both games. I really don't care much for platinum trophies unless it doesn't involve major grinding or making odd choices or such.

I have the non-Plus version of Rorona, but I never beat it. Don't remember how far I was, but I think it was more than halfway. I'll pop it in and see where I was, and maybe try and finish it off if I think I can.

Thanks for sharing guys! I know it can be difficult at times to say things, but I really appreciate you guys starting us off. And yes, a round of applause is given.

Anyone else? No need to be shy.

Maybe I should get a job organizing this stuff...

Nitrosmob's story also gave me another idea, maybe anyone participating can also include how they got that game into their backlog if it's an interesting story. Like if they got it as a gift, or picked it up somewhere, or got it off AWD or something.

Well, I have all the ps3 atelier games. Never played any of them, I'm a sucker for cute looking RPGs. So this is great. I did the deed last night. Ripped the shrink wrap off and started to play. The game is cute for sure, the graphics are a bit dated and it shows, I wonder what the original looked like. I did the opening tutorials and proceeded with the first main quest. I like it, I'm sure I'll enjoy this game.

I don't have any Atelier so will sit this game out. I'll continue to play Dark Souls 3. I'm a trophy hunter so I usually try for the platinum in most games.

Sorry BRW, I've actually meant to post that I would be attempting to join in this month  :joystick: I am just finishing up my plat in Rogue Galaxy and then got side tracked by Nioh - wanted to get the mark of the conqueror, before I dig into Rorona Plus.  I'm hoping to get a plat but I think I am pretty slow at going through games, so I'm not sure I will be able to in time hehe.  My completion time is always WAY longer than the average "to plat" or "to beat" times.

I actually played the original Rorona and loved it despite all the things people disliked about it, so I've been really looking forward to playing the new and improved version.  I only got one ending when I first played the original.  So I guess my main goal is to see the true ending in this version. 

Hi, I'm Ryuu and I have been wanting to get into the Atelier series for a while; I've picked up several of the games on PS3 and Vita but I've mostly drifted away from them after putting in a couple of hours.

I have Rorona Plus on PS3, still in the shrinkwrap and everything, and I'd love to participate in this thread! Only problem is, we're renovating the basement right now and my PS3 is put away. I'm going to have to unpack it and figure out a place to plug it in. But I want to do it! Doing a group playthrough may be just the kick I need to get going on the Atelier series. In fact I think I'm going to head down to the basement now and see if I can dig up the game and my PS3.

Sorry BRW, I've actually meant to post that I would be attempting to join in this month :joystick: I am just finishing up my plat in Rogue Galaxy and then got side tracked by Nioh - wanted to get the mark of the conqueror, before I dig into Rorona Plus. I'm hoping to get a plat but I think I am pretty slow at going through games, so I'm not sure I will be able to in time hehe. My completion time is always WAY longer than the average "to plat" or "to beat" times.
Nice to have you on board! I usually struggle with game lengths too, and I go longer than average, especially if I end up platinuming a game. Although it makes me wonder how much of that time is just me AFKing. This one's avg. for beating the story is 21 hours, so maybe aim for that?

In fact I think I'm going to head down to the basement now and see if I can dig up the game and my PS3.
Good luck, be back safe brother.

Shiiet you actually made the thread. Good job boi.
Thanks, and yeah, I need someone who knows the in and outs of the CAG system better than I do, cuz I have a ton of stuff to ask.

bread's done
Back