CAG Niche Backloggers Anonymous (Monster Hunter World!) [February]

Loved Valkyrie Chronicles. Unless it involved a tank, my strategy was always the same, charge in blindly with Rosie. Luckiest character I've ever played, she'd dodge/evade whatever it was called and land critical hits far, far more often that she should have. I'd literally send her on suicide missions just to test her inability to die... and she'd end up decimating the enemy.

/swoon

Still working on this. Almost done,i hope to finish before Friday! It's really a great game, looks good, plays good.

Did the thread die? Don't die! Quick we need a new pole:

My 3 suggestions:

Ni no kuni, xenoblade chronicles x, virtues last reward.

Sorry, been really busy lately with summer courses, haven't updated anything yet either.

Anytime I do play games, I usually play Overwatch too, but I really do love Valkyria Chronicles, so so much. Still on Chapter 6 though. I know it would be really unfair to extend the month, but I feel like with the thread being so quiet, that maybe others have the same dilemma?

So I wanted to ask, if anyone wants to extend Valkyria into the month of July, since we are running a little late. Of course, I know many of you already beat and plat it, so if you guys don't, that's totally fine too. I'll just shorten the suggestions and voting period so we get started by next Monday.

Basically, does anyone want to stay on Valkyria chronicles for another month, or move on? (Vote by Thursday night) (I won't vote as it may seem unfair, but I wanted to see if anyone else was in the same predicament)

Not dead just busy. I'm actually on the finale. Plan on beating this week.

As for next month. I'll go with whatever the majority vote is. I actually was going to play Steins;Gate no matter the vote anyways.

I don't care if we extend, I got my plat in it at the beginning of the month, but I've been super addicted to overwatch so I'll be entertained  :p

I'm ok with extending, mainly so I don't have to rush the last three chapters. but I want some discussion, if you're not playing valkyria sell me on what you are playing lol!

Overwatch has been dominating my multi-player time as well it's just so good. I am playing on Xbox one and never have enough people that can work together so it gets tough even if I can clear the way, everyone wanders...

Valkyria is really good. Some missions got hard real fast. Doing skirmishes helped a lot. Characters and story is great too. Other than this I play Dark Souls 3 once in a while.

Another month sounds good to me, I completely forget to check this thread at the beginning of last month. Just purchased the game for $5 in the Steam sale, so I'm ready to go. I already owned it for PS3, but since I'm travelling a decent bit this month, it'll be much more convenient to have on my laptop.

As you've all guessed, Valkyria Chronicles is extended to July. We'll also have suggestions and voting for August come early. 

Even if you've already beaten and platinumed that game, feel free to discuss other things, like characters, gameplay, and what you look forward to in a sequel or spinoff. Be sure to monitor what you post though, and use spoiler tags if needed.

I am also getting stale of Overwatch and will probably put a lot more time into VC soon. I think its the fact that competitive mode kinda splits me into contrasting states, on one hand I want to work well with a group and win, but on the other it feels stressful and awkward when people don't seem to be playing for fun. I don't mind playing with a lower rank, it'll even help make things easier to lower the average, but I'd hate to hinder others.

Anyway, in VC, I'm really just playing for the story and to experience the game, so I haven't been reloading saves, or trying to get A ranks. In fact I've actually had a lot of people die too. Is it just me, or do the scouts seem kind of useless? Like I only have the heroine so she could give an extra turn. Rosie seems to be my go to character, and I rely on the tank a lot. 

Also, I don't know why but Oscar just loves to miss. Like the reticle is directly on the target and he just shoots with his eyes closed. 

Another thing, is there any use to spending money and EXP in the grave yard to learn skills? I almost always use everything for leveling up the squad and getting new weapons. Does leveling even increase their stats? Or does it just teach them new skills once in a while?

Thanks

Scouts have saved me so often. The amount of ground they an cover in their turn helps so much. Remember you don't have to kill everybody, just take the enemy base. A well timed scout can do some of the earlier missions almost by themselves. That being said, combine them with the orders you learn from the old gentleman, you can have some powerful turns. I always get those orders from him as soon as I can!

I usually play the mission through once and if I'm not satisfied with how it goes I reload from the beginning and do it again. This helps me not stress about some of the surprises. Especially mission 7, lol.

I'm gonna try and play some VC this weekend, but Tokyo Mirage Sessions has its hooks in me deep.

Personally, I never used any of the orders from the graveyard gentleman, but I used the hell out of scouts.

I purchased VC2 a few weeks ago when it was on sale on the PSN, but I haven't had a chance to even download it yet.

I'm not too thrilled about what I've seen of the new VC game so far, since it looks like its less turn-based and more action. I like strategy and having time to think about my moves.

I finally beat Chapter 7! Took me like 3 hours, it doesn't help that the enemy uses every single one of their turns and it takes like 20 minutes for them to finish. Would be nice to have a fast forward button. Anyway, ended up with a B rank. I really lamed them out at the end, just had all my lancers in the last base and just kept shooting the tank once it was vulnerable.

A little tip that might be spoilerish.

I noticed that Selveria only shoots your human troops (and kills them instantly), if they are seen by her. But if you hide them behind a wall or behind the tank, you can move them safely, and most of the time she won't even bother using her turn against them.

Also, I think whenever we have a PS4 game, we can use the Japanese Niche Games Community on there to post screen shots and the like, ditto for a Steam group if there is one. I rather bring more traffic into that community than make a brand new one for this thread. If you aren't familiar with it, info is on the first page of the Jpn niche thread on CAG deals section.

Anyway, chapter 7 was tedious, but I think beating it motivated me to tackle the game even more.

Alright, finally Chapter 10, a bit of a tear-jerker. I'm beginning to appreciate the combat a bit more, but those linear missions where you use like one or two characters get a bit annoying.

Also, does anyone switch characters for their squad? I've mostly been sticking with my original picks. I picked them due to their abilities, but I don't want to go and compare them all over again.

I have to finish this game too. I left it off on the final chapter as soon as the month was extended.

I never switch neither. I just liked my original choices and stuck with them. Although I'm going to do another playthrough and play with all different members.

Unfortunately, my disc drive has died on my PS3, so I never could get to play Valkyria Chronicles. Maybe next month will be something I can participate more in.

Just about a week and-a-half left in July, so I think we should start the nominations for next month's game. My three nominations include:

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky FC/SC

Akiba's Trip

Tales of Hearts R

This game is awesome with remote play, gonna try to finish it this week.

Does anyone switch weapons much? I noticed that some missions give you weapons as a prize, but they seem much weaker than what I originally have.

Gonna start streaming this game, not to advertise as I don't really stream at all, but it'll give me a little motivation to put more time into it.

[media]https://www.twitch.tv/superswanton[/media]

Also, thank you Krymner for the reminder, I figure we get the suggestions now, and I'll run the poll mid-week. We can get started by the end of the week, and have a weekend where we can finish up Valkryia Chronicles and begin the next game. Should be fun and bring more activity in.

Alright, finally Chapter 10, a bit of a tear-jerker. I'm beginning to appreciate the combat a bit more, but those linear missions where you use like one or two characters get a bit annoying.

Also, does anyone switch characters for their squad? I've mostly been sticking with my original picks. I picked them due to their abilities, but I don't want to go and compare them all over again.
Chapter 10 is where I stopped. Right before the thing happens.

I just wasn't in the mood to have feelings that day :p

This game is awesome with remote play, gonna try to finish it this week.

Does anyone switch weapons much? I noticed that some missions give you weapons as a prize, but they seem much weaker than what I originally have.
If you're talking about the aces weapons then yeah those suck. However I found the weapons that Cordelia gives you better than the fully upgraded ones.

Steins; Gate

Shiren the Wanderer

I am Setsuna 

(I'm not sure if it is cheating to vote for I am Setsuna, since I checked it out the night I got it, put in about an hour I think)

My suggestions are:

Megadimension Neptunia 7

Monster Monpiece

Steins gate

Here are the current standings:

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky FC/SC 1 Akiba's Trip 1 Tales of Hearts R 1 Xenoblade chronicles x 1 Virtues last reward 1 Ni no kuni 2 Steins;Gate 4 SAO Re: Hollow Fragment 2 Monster Monpiece 2 Shiren the Wanderer 1 I am Setsuna 1 Neptunia 7 1

Last edited by a moderator:
Also for counting purposes I put my screenshot of beating VC on the PS4 thread.
I'd like to add it to the OP if you don't mind, but what do you mean by the PS4 thread?

I don't own either of the two winning games, lol. Better start looking around hmm
I actually own both, and have been wanting to play them for a while. But I can't choose between the two, so I haven't voted yet. I played a tiny bit of Monster Monpiece, and really liked the battle system. But I feel a little lazy in gaming lately, and don't feel like grinding, so I might go with Stein's Gate. It's just a visual novel right? No puzzles or mini games of the sort?

I'd like to add it to the OP if you don't mind, but what do you mean by the PS4 thread?

I actually own both, and have been wanting to play them for a while. But I can't choose between the two, so I haven't voted yet. I played a tiny bit of Monster Monpiece, and really liked the battle system. But I feel a little lazy in gaming lately, and don't feel like grinding, so I might go with Stein's Gate. It's just a visual novel right? No puzzles or mini games of the sort?
Sorry, I meant the PS4 CAG Niche group. I have the same PSN name as here.

From what I seen it's just a VN. No puzzles and stuff but not sure.

Honestly as someone who earned the gold trophy rubbing medal on Monster Monpiece and beat it, there is very little grind. You can do all the encounters or not, since many are side parts, but you can get rare keys and sometimes cards there. The only thing I truly disliked about the game is how some evolutions were impossible to fully evolve without playing versus. Because of this I probably didn't have the most finely tuned deck, but it worked. I did like the game enough to give it about a 7.5/10. 

I voted Steins; Gate just because I paid a couple bucks more for that game than monster monpiece so I really should finish it. I wouldn't mind the latter game winning though because then we could all knock out the online trophies together.

I don't know if people are trolling or not, but the results are even more tied now. I haven't voted yet and don't plan to as I feel fine with all three games. So I'm going to let the poll wait out 1 more day, if its still tied I'll flip a coin or something.

I don't know if people are trolling or not, but the results are even more tied now. I haven't voted yet and don't plan to as I feel fine with all three games. So I'm going to let the poll wait out 1 more day, if its still tied I'll flip a coin or something.
Vote for the one you want to play most this month. You know, like a good relaxing VN.

Well.... I bit the bullet and bought Stein's Gate. Sooooo I'll just go and change my vote and make this easy. If that isn't allowed, you can scold me later.

August game of the month is Steins;Gate (5 votes). It's on Vita and PS3. I think it might also be on PC, but not sure if it is on Steam. There is also a Japanese edition on PS4 and Xbox 360 I think. Anyway, all should be the same, so please enjoy. This is also a heavily story-focused game I believe, so please be mindful of spoilers in the discussion and use spoiler tags if necessary. 

Discussion of anything related is encouraged, such as the anime, movie, figures, and even the sequel. 

(I actually really liked the anime, so I hope this will be good, will also be nice to play on the train. If anyone sees a person playing this on the Vita on the LIRR, its probably me. Also got me to buy a Makise figure for some reason...)

I really need to rectify and play Steins;Gate. I got the limited edition for pc when it released, but never played and eventually got the Vita version last Christmas. I should play that....just hard cause i've been moving forever now....should be done maybe in 2 weeks....but yeah taking a lot of my time. I should just play a bit every night and hope I can finish it at the end of the month.

Doh it wasn't till my second email that I realized you could respond to them... now I need to go back to before the first email.  

What do you mean by this? I've gotten one email so far.
Well I guess it was technically the third email that I noticed it. But some emails have blue text you can navigate to and select. I was pretty tired last night when I got the first email with the blue text so I didn't even think to try. Today I got another email and noticed it, so I went back to the first email that had it and noticed the blue was gone. But if you do navigate to the blue text you can pick one to use as the context of your reply.

Yes, replying to emails unlocks different locations, conversations, advances relationships and other stuff. Same with answering phone calls. All up to you if you want to or not.

Tutturu! Great Scott! This game is pretty damn cool. I think I'm about halfway through chapter one right now. I really love how even if you move on through a current dialogue slide, the voice work continues. Great for readers that read faster than the lines being voiced.

This game reminds me that the Steins;Gate anime was my favorite for a long while. It probably still is if I watch it again. I didn't watch each episode front to back the first time though, so I'm glad this game is more elaborate and in depth with the details. I feel like Rintaro has a different voice actor though, but maybe it's just because you don't actually see him much in the game. I was thinking about watching the anime again during this play through, but it'll probably be confusing to correlate so I'll just rewatch it afterwards.

I saw on the PS Vita thread, someone mentioning the sequel Steins;Gate 0 was coming out soon, I think September. I think it's nice that we coordinated it like that, so it's fresh right when the sequel hits. I feel like we could do that for more games, like FF13 before 15 hits, P4 in December before P5 in January, SOA before Hollow Realization, etc.

Here is some neat Makise cosplay. One, because the game has such emphasis on cosplay. And two, because I love cosplay regardless.

steins_gate___kurisu_makise_by_mirum_numenis-d8qsh9g.jpg

Internet infringement can be a pretty messy subject, so I'll throw in a reference here. I think her name is Anastasia MiraMarta. Really fantastic work, especially her Transistor stuff. I have no clue who she is, but she's pretty sick. Well, pretty and sick.

I'll have something else cool to show once I get back home on Friday. I'll also try to get more playtime in since it seems to be a long game. I do like just putting the Vita to sleep though and randomly starting again anytime I want.

Hmm. I just finished chapter one... And I must say I like the story and all... I just don't think I'm a fan of visual novels. I play on the pstv which probably changes the situation. I may struggle with this one...

I just started where I left off which is Ch 3. I forgot how good the story is. It gets you really engage and wanting to read one more line every time. The voice actor sounds the same to me.

bread's done
Back