CAG Niche Backloggers Anonymous (Monster Hunter World!) [February]

I guess for a suggestion have maybe 2-3 games listed for a backlog and 2 games for coop/multiplayer stuff. Sooo like

Co-op game of the Week

• Soul Scarface (VITA)
  • JumpHumpMan (PS4)

Backlog Games

• Time and Not Eternity
  • Tales of Tales
  • Fire My Emblem
That way more people can participate and we won't have to wait a month for the game.  There's also the time restraint too...

Last edited by a moderator:
I do like the idea of co-op. We can't forget niche games does include many, many indie games as well, just not Japanese ones. I also think even though those may not have the game to play the backlog game of the month, people should say about what they are playing and struggles/triumphs/blah blah blah as well. Though this is the niche game backloggers anonymous, i'm sure even without said niche games, our backlogs are miles long. 

Yea, I'm back and forth on participating. On one hand, Rorona's been on my short list. On the other, I really should finish Digimon.

I guess for a suggestion have maybe 2-3 games listed for a backlog and 2 games for coop/multiplayer stuff. Sooo like

Co-op game of the Week

• Soul Scarface (VITA)
  • JumpHumpMan (PS4)

Backlog Games

• Time and Not Eternity
  • Tales of Tales
  • Fire My Emblem
That way more people can participate and we won't have to wait a month for the game. There's also the time restraint too...
I had this idea before in the Jpn Niche thread, and I was thinking of having a game for every popular platform, or to pick the top 3 games in popularity do to the backlog with. But a lot of people said it was probably a better idea to stick with one game a month, since it isn't such a long period of time, and too many games can make things messy. I also see that there isn't a lot of activity here yet, so one game a month might be decent for now. Maybe once things settle down and we get a continuous stream of participants, we can open another thread or something. I'm still up for a change though if anyone wants to add an additional game.

And for the multiplayer/coop stuff, I had this crazy idea that I wanted to bring up after this thread winds up running smooth. So it goes like this, every week or two weeks, we dedicate a game with multiplayer and we just revisit that game. And this isn't limited to niche games, something like running through all the older Call of Dutys and having huge 18-player ground wars, or having 8-player lobbies in like vanilla Street Fighter 4. It'll be cool to revive older games, especially like Quake 3 or GTA 4 MP, or Red Dead MP. This'll work even better in MMOs that no one plays anymore, and there could be weekend special gatherings.

It's a bit of a longshot, since I barely see people using the CAGs on PSN, or JPN Niche PSN communities, but it's been on my mind for a while.

Yea, I'm back and forth on participating. On one hand, Rorona's been on my short list. On the other, I really should finish Digimon.
kwf19rN.gif

I didn't know there were such things. How do you join?
Not sure about the CAGs on PSN one, but if you leave ur name here, I can manually add you to the Jpn Niche one. You can also friend request someone already in a group, and then ask to join from "communities friends are in" section.

So after looking at my trophies from the original, it appears the true ending was the only one I got lol.  I forgot in that one you needed to play many playthroughs to see them all.  Apparently they changed that in this one, so I'm hoping to see most/all of the character ones. I wanted to keep track of the events I've seen so I converted the gamefaq's list by Salary into a googledocs spreadsheet, so I could mark them off as I go.  I don't know if anyone else would be interested in doing that, but here is a link for you to make a copy of it if you want to do the same.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1quNmLkkyK19XJVEUDZQBaMe3xw5gk4krMjWJbnU24BQ/edit?usp=sharing

Started this up over the weekend and got a few hours in. I kept having to reload my save since I was not paying attention to how long adventuring takes, missing out on certain events. I've been using the GameFAQs walkthroughs for the vanilla version even though I'm playing through the Plus version. It makes it kind of confusing though (like how they suggest to not worry about using skills all the time because there didn't use to be MP).

Anyways, does anyone know of any good walkthroughs for the Plus version of Rorona? What Midori Monkey provided is a good step, but I feel like there's more things that happen that you have to plan for.

Atelier's have always been games I bought on sale but never actually gotten around to playing. I've actually been playing Chrono Trigger for the hundredth time but I'll try and squeeze in some Atelier.

In regards to MP Basically you can use the skills of your party while you are out and about, but if you use your own MP, it takes away from being able to make items, so you have to waste more days resting.

1st priority should be completing the main assignment. Get the gold stars to 10, ignore the little stars.

Then complete friend requests (those with names) given from etsy. Then work on the sub-quest list from sterk that gives voucher's and lets you fill out your bingo board. When that's done focus on whatever assignments etsy has left to raise how much the town likes you.

Obviously exploring as far as you can in the meantime, to get materials. Always kill every enemy in an area and gather everything you can.

I did the first two assignments following this general idea, and got everything I needed done, with plenty of time left to kill. Good luck folks

I'm going to start Rorona Plus tomorrow. I was pretty dang addicted to the Overwatch Beta so now that's over I will focus on my backlog games.

May I make a suggestion that to go along with the game of the month we can also post impressions of any current game we are playing. That way we don't feel like it's only locked into one game.

I'll start

Game I've been playing: Chrono Trigger

The music and stories so far have been fantastic. i've just made it to the part where you get Robo. I've impressed with how your actions during earlier parts of the game affect the story later on.

I'm currently playing Dark Souls 3.

I love the boss battles' music. The movement is better than DS2 but my complain is the lag. When I get invaded, which is a lot, I get a sneak attack or hit that doesn't register. It really bothers me because people run away here much more than DS2. Other than that it's a great game.

Waiting on Valkyria Chronicles Remastered so I can pass it again. This time with trophies.

Atilier Rorona completed! Not going for the platinum trophy or any of the more difficult endings, so I'm happy to have the main story finished.

Thanks CAG Niche Backloggers Anonymous! Backlogged game is out of backlog. Hopefully I can participate next month or if not, some other time soon at least.

Anyway, back to playing Suikoden 3 now. I've finished all 4 characters' chapter 1, and Chris's chapter 2, and now working my way thru Hugo's chapter 2. Still hate the wonky camera, but the game is pretty fun so far.

I'm failing majorly on my backlog goal this month so far...I didn't start Rorona Plus....I have reached the final level of Enter the Gungeon though haha....I may start it tonight....but so far just haven't. I have been playing games but they're not ones you really beat that easily like Enter the Gungeon and Pocket Race Jockey. 

Okay, Atelier Rorona month will come to a close next week.

Suggestions for the next month begin today and ends Friday, voting will be in a separate thread next weekend.

Deadline to submit a name or screenshot for the Wall of Fame ends May 31st.

This was a quiet week, but I think it's cause things just got started, and this game had relativity low hype. I'll be suggesting/voting this time too.

Ugh. I'm hardly halfway through. Must play faster. It's hard when I play late at late and Rorona is always sassin me. "I get tired too you know"

I found that the last few assignments went by really quickly, at least for me. Just keep plugging away at it and you'll have it beaten soon enough. Luckily my save was about 2/3rds of the way into the game or I wouldn't have finished last weekend.

I submit my recommendations for next month:

Tales of Hearts R  :vita:

Trails of Cold Steel  :vita: / :ps3:

SMT IV :3ds:

Here are my three suggestions to keep it fair: Sword Art Online Hollow Fragment, Steins Gate, Megadimension Neptunia VII.

And if you want to be in the Games Completed List, please say so. Thank you. So far I got Krymner.

Man I've been totally sidetracked by Uncharted 4. I still want to beat Rorona but it might not be before the end of the month.

I beat Rorona, and saw all the endings.  Just doing the post game "Overtime" year now.  So I am hoping to get the plat in the next day or two :)

My suggestions for next month are -

Steins Gate

Valkyria Chronicles Remastered

Nights of Azure

Tokyo Babel, Akiba's Trip and Dragon's Crown are my suggestions. I need to play Akiba's Trip more, same with Dragon's Crown, and I barely started Tokyo Babel so I have a lot to go for that.

Suggestions updated and tallied, you guys have until Friday to name three games.

Don't forget that voting will be in a new thread with a poll, but the main backlog thread is still here.

You can do another round of introductions with every new month, focusing on the game.

Just got my plat in Rorona  :bouncy: The post game year was a lot of fun.  The mobs are more difficult than the ones from the regular game, which I loved.  

And... I got credits! I am missing a few endings I'll work on those the next few days but this game is complete :)
Congrats I could never get started.....I blame my will and Overwatch and reading a bunch of comics and magazines. I need to go to it, likely next month if I don't have the games in the vote.

Congrats to Krymner, Midori Monkey, and Sirpikaz for clearing Atelier Rorona out of their backlogs! Let's give them a round of applause!

Next month's game voting will now begin, and end on Sunday night.

You can vote here: https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/356527-voting-thread-for-backloggers-anonymous-discussion-will-still-be-in-the-other-thread/

Choices are, Sword Art Online Hollow Fragment, Stein's Gate, and Valkyria Chronicles.

Suggestions was a bit more varied and spread out this time, but both Steins gate and Valkyria got 3 votes, while SAO got 2.

And the second month of the Backloggers Anonymous begins! 

This month's game is Valkyria Chronicles Remastered, and the original one is fine too.

It is available on :ps4: , :ps3: and :pc:

I got hype so I bought the game today, which is fine since it was in my mental backlog anyway, and the steel book is really nice.

Excellent.  I've been pretty excited about this remaster.  I didn't finish the game on the ps3. My profile ended up getting deleted by someone and I lost all my saves, including this one.  I was pretty far too.  

Not sure if I will go for the plat in this one.  I read up a bit on the A rank trophy.  And if the guide I read was right... it sounds like you just bee line for the objects and throw tactics out the window to get the highest rank. That doesn't sound like much fun. 

I feel kinda bad though.  I told my boyfriend he could play it, but I just stole it back.  Oh well, he wasn't too far, since he pretty much only plays league.

I started VC yesterday, and I must say... It's pretty damn cool. Feels fire emblem-y with a bit more action. I like that if I lose a character I don't lose all the experience they've gained since you level that "class" and not that character directly. Still going to do my best not to leave anyone behind!! The art is pretty and the story is good too!

I will probably start VC... after Witcher 3 expansion and Tsum Tsum Star Wars event...

I did play the PS3 version up to around chapter 6 or so. I was aiming to break the scouts, but didn't get that far.

I started VC yesterday, and I must say... It's pretty damn cool. Feels fire emblem-y with a bit more action. I like that if I lose a character I don't lose all the experience they've gained since you level that "class" and not that character directly. Still going to do my best not to leave anyone behind!! The art is pretty and the story is good too!
If nothing has changed from the ps3 version... there are two people you may want to have die. Oscar and Karl unlock secret characters if you unlock there secret potential and then let them die.

Here is a list of all the secret characters that were in the ps3 version and how to get them -

Audrey - Lancer - Earn 10 or more medals.
Emile - Sniper - Unlock Oscar's hidden potential then let him die.
Knute - Engineer - Enter the Command Room with 1,000,000 DCT.
Lynn - Shocktrooper - Unlock Karl's hidden potential then let him die.
Musaad - Scout - Complete story mode once.

I also started it last night. I never finished it on ps3 but intend to plat this time. I'm not really trying to get S rank on this playthrough so just enjoying the story and gameplay.

I didn't know there was secret characters. All I know about are the weapons that aces drop but they aren't that good anyways.

I'm towards the end of VC. I almost forgot about all the little things that made this game great. Hopefully  Sega releases that enhanced port of 2 and 3.

Dat mission 7, nearly made me hate this game quick. The difficulty could have used a bit less of a shove off a cliff and more a nudge toward a cliff. Ended with a B and losing no one though, I'm happy for now.

Heh thats the mission i'm on atm.  At first I wasn't going to care about A ranks, but I have gotten all As so far... so I'm gonna shoot for the plat. But this mission is killing me.  I just can't get it done in the turns needed for an A :( i must be  missing a ruin wall or something... it just feels like there are a lot of wasted turns :(

Got all the way to! ... Chapter 3...

Sorry, I'm trying but Overwatch has me by the ass.

I really like the game though, and the atmosphere of it has a kind of "WW2 era movie" tone to it, like Saving Private Ryan, or Stalingrad. It's a lot more deep that your standard "kids save the world" JRPG. I never played it when it first came out, but I think it looks amazing on the PS4, can't believe this was an early PS3 title, as the mechanics are so well developed and polished.

I have one question though, when you use CP to move a character, they can get shot at but time stops after you go into aim mode. Then you can take damage again afterwards. So I guess it isn't like a turn-based at that moment? What I'm trying to ask is: "Is it best to go into aim mode immediately after running and then quit back to the map after firing, or do you have time to plan your actions?

Thanks

Finished it the other day. I feel like I had a harder time playing it thru on the ps4 than I did on the ps3. Not sure if my gaming skillz are degrading in my old age. (I'm 29)

I have one question though, when you use CP to move a character, they can get shot at but time stops after you go into aim mode. Then you can take damage again afterwards. So I guess it isn't like a turn-based at that moment? What I'm trying to ask is: "Is it best to go into aim mode immediately after running and then quit back to the map after firing, or do you have time to plan your actions?

Thanks
Yea get to where you want to be then go into aim asap. The game pauses the enemies when you are in aim mode. Then from there turn to shoot whatever you wanted to. I think that little bit of damage you see when you first go into aim mode alrdy happened and the animated just finishes up. The best tip is save between turns. I actually never realized you could do this before when I played the ps3 version... no clue how I missed that. It helps you plan your moves, and it is nearly impossible to get an A without reloading saves. Especially if you have no prior knowledge of where the enemies are on the map. Or if you have to make a miracle shot with a lancer or sniper.

Just finished up the plat in Valkyria Chronicles.  I did way better this time than I did when I played it on ps3.  I never realized how close I was to beating it back then before I lost my save.  I apparently had 2 stages left to do :(

Such an amazing game though.  I am really glad they remastered it, and added trophies.  I had a blast earning all the medals and I doubt I woulda done that in the ps3 version.

bread's done
Back