* * * * * 3 votes

CAG Niche Backloggers Anonymous (Monster Hunter World!) [February]

Japan Niche Cag Backlog Vita Playstation Xbox Nintendo PS4 PS3

Poll: Backlog game of the month

Wait for next month

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

-

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

-

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 argyle   Mr. Lucky CAGiversary!   6436 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 02 May 2016 - 09:09 PM

I'm sitting the month out if Rorona wins. Not to be contrary, but this is to shrink backlogs not grow them, and I don't own it. :-P

#32 elessar123  

Posted 02 May 2016 - 10:28 PM

That's fine. I would sit out if SAO won. Unsure about Ragnarok. I like Ragnarok, but not a huge fan of monster hunter type games.

#33 whoknows   Time and Eternity for all of time and eternity CAGiversary!   40099 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 02:56 AM

That's fine. I would sit out if SAO won. Unsure about Ragnarok. I like Ragnarok, but not a huge fan of monster hunter type games.

Same. I have no interest in SAO.

#34 BlackRockWaifu   Advocate for the Black Friday Champion Fredyyy CAGiversary!   2993 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

BlackRockWaifu

Posted 03 May 2016 - 04:54 AM

This month's game is Atelier Rorona Plus! (Vita/PS3) Enjoy! Feel free to discuss anything, and if you beat the game/platinum it, share your accomplishment or post a screenshot and I'll be more than happy to put it up into the wall of fame!

Suggestions for next month will come the last week of May, 23rd, and Voting begins that weekend.

Thread is updated with info on synopsis, game length, and layout.

I don't have this game and I didn't vote or suggest anything this time either to keep things fair. So enjoy and I'll post some sexy cosplay or something.

Also, I was thinking about opening a new thread every month to tally suggestions and have a poll. Mods might think it's spam though so I don't know if it'll be approved, but this forum is pretty barren so maybe they will allow it.

#35 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9530 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 05:50 PM

I just finished Root Double...I have Dark Souls 3 to finish, but I will work on Rorona Plus as well. Played the original back in the day but just never finished it. Hopefully this one is better.

#36 WhirlwindMonk   CAG Ultra Noob CAGiversary!   198 Posts   Joined 6.7 Years Ago  

WhirlwindMonk

Posted 04 May 2016 - 03:00 AM

I'll be sitting out this month since Rorona Plus is a game I have GASP beaten already! But I'll be sticking around to help answer questions/see reactions/etc. Good luck and have fun everyone giving this game a go for the first time!

#37 Gershomcz  

Gershomcz

Posted 04 May 2016 - 03:03 AM

I've always wanted to get into this series, is this a good starting off point?

#38 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9530 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 04 May 2016 - 06:13 AM

I've always wanted to get into this series, is this a good starting off point?

It's thee starting off point for the Arland trilogy, so yup....this a good one to start off with.

#39 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9530 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 08:42 PM

Going to start Rorona Plus on Friday likely. Today I will try the Overwatch beta. I did play plenty of Team Fortress 2 back in the day so I hope it's aight. I hope I do finish Rorona Plus this month though. I have so many of those Atelier games in my backlog it's not funny anymore.

#40 BlackRockWaifu   Advocate for the Black Friday Champion Fredyyy CAGiversary!   2993 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

BlackRockWaifu

Posted 05 May 2016 - 09:02 PM

I don't have Atelier Rorona, so I'll skip out this month, but I do want to see a little more activity here.

So I was thinking of having something akin to an actual anonymous meeting:

Where people who have the game and will participate start at the beginning of the month, and post a message saying who they are, what they expect out of this game/where they are in their backlog, and how far along do they hope to get.

For example: Hi, I'm BlackRockWaifu, I expect to clear yet another game from my endless PS3 backlog, and I expect to beat the story, but not enough to get the platinum.

This way you kinda have a goal in mind, and it'll encourage conversation and give us a little place to start from. We could also use "likes" as applause, in order to be respectful.

Sorry if this idea seems a little harsh, and I don't want to push anything on others. But this might be a good way to get us started. Lemme know what you guys think.

#41 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9530 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 06 May 2016 - 01:09 AM

Hi i'm known in a few places as nitrosmob, and I do have a backlog problem. It all started likely around the PSX/N64 era, but I played all my games then. When I started game trading on Goozex around the PS2's lifespan I realized I had a problem where many games where coming in, but not many were being played. I now do too many cheap price niche and games in general and buy into bundles way too often. I am working to clear the backlog starting with 2 games.

I am working on Dark Souls 3 and took a break mainly cause I was getting a bit tired of it, though it was fun. This is around 33 hours in and about 65-70% completion. I will be playing that along with the other game I'll mention below. I generally don't do multiplayer on these games as I move decently slow in them and also I really get that awesome feeling killing the bosses alone. It's just the way I've always played the games, which was usually the case as the multiplayer was shoddy and rarely worked in the older games.

I am taking on the challenge of Rorona Plus as well. My story with the game goes back a while. I actually bought the original non plus game a while back at Gamestop (for the bigger box hardcover artbook version), and I began to play it. I got about 20 hours in and I just stopped. I was enjoying the game but just never finished. I will be attempting to complete the game, and I've heard it's a lot more streamlined than the original. I keep buying all the Plus versions (plus an original here or there) on sale, so I need to nip this series already. It looks fun and I greatly enjoyed Atelier Iris 1 and 2 for the PS2, so it's perfect for me. I hope to finish both games by the end of the month.

My main problem is finishing games, and I will aim to at least get the gold trophy or such for completing both games. I really don't care much for platinum trophies unless it doesn't involve major grinding or making odd choices or such.

#42 Krymner   Yup, I think you're sexy CAGiversary!   3025 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 06 May 2016 - 01:59 AM

I have the non-Plus version of Rorona, but I never beat it. Don't remember how far I was, but I think it was more than halfway. I'll pop it in and see where I was, and maybe try and finish it off if I think I can.

#43 BlackRockWaifu   Advocate for the Black Friday Champion Fredyyy CAGiversary!   2993 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

BlackRockWaifu

Posted 06 May 2016 - 07:16 AM

Thanks for sharing guys! I know it can be difficult at times to say things, but I really appreciate you guys starting us off. And yes, a round of applause is given.

Anyone else? No need to be shy.

Maybe I should get a job organizing this stuff...

Nitrosmob's story also gave me another idea, maybe anyone participating can also include how they got that game into their backlog if it's an interesting story. Like if they got it as a gift, or picked it up somewhere, or got it off AWD or something.

#44 sirpikaz   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   835 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Posted 06 May 2016 - 05:29 PM

Well, I have all the ps3 atelier games. Never played any of them, I'm a sucker for cute looking RPGs. So this is great. I did the deed last night. Ripped the shrink wrap off and started to play. The game is cute for sure, the graphics are a bit dated and it shows, I wonder what the original looked like. I did the opening tutorials and proceeded with the first main quest. I like it, I'm sure I'll enjoy this game.

#45 Gershomcz  

Gershomcz

Posted 06 May 2016 - 07:11 PM

I don't have any Atelier so will sit this game out. I'll continue to play Dark Souls 3. I'm a trophy hunter so I usually try for the platinum in most games.

#46 Midori Monkey  

Midori Monkey

Posted 06 May 2016 - 09:26 PM

Sorry BRW, I've actually meant to post that I would be attempting to join in this month  :joystick: I am just finishing up my plat in Rogue Galaxy and then got side tracked by Nioh - wanted to get the mark of the conqueror, before I dig into Rorona Plus.  I'm hoping to get a plat but I think I am pretty slow at going through games, so I'm not sure I will be able to in time hehe.  My completion time is always WAY longer than the average "to plat" or "to beat" times.

I actually played the original Rorona and loved it despite all the things people disliked about it, so I've been really looking forward to playing the new and improved version.  I only got one ending when I first played the original.  So I guess my main goal is to see the true ending in this version. 

#47 Ryuukishi   My ambitionz az a Ryder CAGiversary!   11239 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 07 May 2016 - 02:36 AM

Hi, I'm Ryuu and I have been wanting to get into the Atelier series for a while; I've picked up several of the games on PS3 and Vita but I've mostly drifted away from them after putting in a couple of hours.

I have Rorona Plus on PS3, still in the shrinkwrap and everything, and I'd love to participate in this thread! Only problem is, we're renovating the basement right now and my PS3 is put away. I'm going to have to unpack it and figure out a place to plug it in. But I want to do it! Doing a group playthrough may be just the kick I need to get going on the Atelier series. In fact I think I'm going to head down to the basement now and see if I can dig up the game and my PS3.

#48 Dead_Batteries   Voltaic Pile CAGiversary!   1112 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Dead_Batteries

Posted 07 May 2016 - 05:06 AM

Shiiet you actually made the thread. Good job boi. 

#49 BlackRockWaifu   Advocate for the Black Friday Champion Fredyyy CAGiversary!   2993 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

BlackRockWaifu

Posted 07 May 2016 - 06:20 AM

Sorry BRW, I've actually meant to post that I would be attempting to join in this month  :joystick: I am just finishing up my plat in Rogue Galaxy and then got side tracked by Nioh - wanted to get the mark of the conqueror, before I dig into Rorona Plus.  I'm hoping to get a plat but I think I am pretty slow at going through games, so I'm not sure I will be able to in time hehe.  My completion time is always WAY longer than the average "to plat" or "to beat" times.

Nice to have you on board! I usually struggle with game lengths too, and I go longer than average, especially if I end up platinuming a game. Although it makes me wonder how much of that time is just me AFKing. This one's avg. for beating the story is 21 hours, so maybe aim for that?

In fact I think I'm going to head down to the basement now and see if I can dig up the game and my PS3.

Good luck, be back safe brother.

Shiiet you actually made the thread. Good job boi. 

Thanks, and yeah, I need someone who knows the in and outs of the CAG system better than I do, cuz I have a ton of stuff to ask.

#50 Dead_Batteries   Voltaic Pile CAGiversary!   1112 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Dead_Batteries

Posted 07 May 2016 - 06:48 AM

I guess for a suggestion have maybe 2-3 games listed for a backlog and 2 games for coop/multiplayer stuff. Sooo like

Co-op game of the Week

• Soul Scarface (VITA)
  • JumpHumpMan (PS4)

Backlog Games

• Time and Not Eternity
  • Tales of Tales
  • Fire My Emblem

That way more people can participate and we won't have to wait a month for the game.  There's also the time restraint too...

#51 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9530 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 07 May 2016 - 03:33 PM

I do like the idea of co-op. We can't forget niche games does include many, many indie games as well, just not Japanese ones. I also think even though those may not have the game to play the backlog game of the month, people should say about what they are playing and struggles/triumphs/blah blah blah as well. Though this is the niche game backloggers anonymous, i'm sure even without said niche games, our backlogs are miles long. 

#52 elessar123  

Posted 07 May 2016 - 04:15 PM

Yea, I'm back and forth on participating. On one hand, Rorona's been on my short list. On the other, I really should finish Digimon.

#53 BlackRockWaifu   Advocate for the Black Friday Champion Fredyyy CAGiversary!   2993 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

BlackRockWaifu

Posted 07 May 2016 - 11:05 PM

I guess for a suggestion have maybe 2-3 games listed for a backlog and 2 games for coop/multiplayer stuff. Sooo like

Co-op game of the Week

• Soul Scarface (VITA)
  • JumpHumpMan (PS4)

Backlog Games

• Time and Not Eternity
  • Tales of Tales
  • Fire My Emblem

That way more people can participate and we won't have to wait a month for the game.  There's also the time restraint too...

I had this idea before in the Jpn Niche thread, and I was thinking of having a game for every popular platform, or to pick the top 3 games in popularity do to the backlog with. But a lot of people said it was probably a better idea to stick with one game a month, since it isn't such a long period of time, and too many games can make things messy. I also see that there isn't a lot of activity here yet, so one game a month might be decent for now. Maybe once things settle down and we get a continuous stream of participants, we can open another thread or something. I'm still up for a change though if anyone wants to add an additional game.

And for the multiplayer/coop stuff, I had this crazy idea that I wanted to bring up after this thread winds up running smooth. So it goes like this, every week or two weeks, we dedicate a game with multiplayer and we just revisit that game. And this isn't limited to niche games, something like running through all the older Call of Dutys and having huge 18-player ground wars, or having 8-player lobbies in like vanilla Street Fighter 4. It'll be cool to revive older games, especially like Quake 3 or GTA 4 MP, or Red Dead MP. This'll work even better in MMOs that no one plays anymore, and there could be weekend special gatherings.

It's a bit of a longshot, since I barely see people using the CAGs on PSN, or JPN Niche PSN communities, but it's been on my mind for a while.

#54 whoknows   Time and Eternity for all of time and eternity CAGiversary!   40099 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 07 May 2016 - 11:11 PM

Yea, I'm back and forth on participating. On one hand, Rorona's been on my short list. On the other, I really should finish Digimon.

Spoiler

#55 Ryuukishi   My ambitionz az a Ryder CAGiversary!   11239 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 07 May 2016 - 11:55 PM

I barely see people using the CAGs on PSN, or JPN Niche PSN communities

I didn't know there were such things. How do you join?

#56 BlackRockWaifu   Advocate for the Black Friday Champion Fredyyy CAGiversary!   2993 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

BlackRockWaifu

Posted 08 May 2016 - 12:29 AM

I didn't know there were such things. How do you join?

Not sure about the CAGs on PSN one, but if you leave ur name here, I can manually add you to the Jpn Niche one. You can also friend request someone already in a group, and then ask to join from "communities friends are in" section.

#57 Midori Monkey  

Midori Monkey

Posted 09 May 2016 - 12:57 AM

So after looking at my trophies from the original, it appears the true ending was the only one I got lol.  I forgot in that one you needed to play many playthroughs to see them all.  Apparently they changed that in this one, so I'm hoping to see most/all of the character ones. I wanted to keep track of the events I've seen so I converted the gamefaq's list by Salary into a googledocs spreadsheet, so I could mark them off as I go.  I don't know if anyone else would be interested in doing that, but here is a link for you to make a copy of it if you want to do the same.

https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

#58 Kameleon   Gaming Mark CAGiversary!   464 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

Kameleon

Posted 09 May 2016 - 05:31 PM

Started this up over the weekend and got a few hours in. I kept having to reload my save since I was not paying attention to how long adventuring takes, missing out on certain events. I've been using the GameFAQs walkthroughs for the vanilla version even though I'm playing through the Plus version. It makes it kind of confusing though (like how they suggest to not worry about using skills all the time because there didn't use to be MP).

Anyways, does anyone know of any good walkthroughs for the Plus version of Rorona? What Midori Monkey provided is a good step, but I feel like there's more things that happen that you have to plan for.

#59 Asmith906   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   2098 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

Posted 09 May 2016 - 06:50 PM

Atelier's have always been games I bought on sale but never actually gotten around to playing. I've actually been playing Chrono Trigger for the hundredth time but I'll try and squeeze in some Atelier.

#60 sirpikaz   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   835 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Posted 09 May 2016 - 06:52 PM

In regards to MP Basically you can use the skills of your party while you are out and about, but if you use your own MP, it takes away from being able to make items, so you have to waste more days resting.

1st priority should be completing the main assignment. Get the gold stars to 10, ignore the little stars.

Then complete friend requests (those with names) given from etsy. Then work on the sub-quest list from sterk that gives voucher's and lets you fill out your bingo board. When that's done focus on whatever assignments etsy has left to raise how much the town likes you.

Obviously exploring as far as you can in the meantime, to get materials. Always kill every enemy in an area and gather everything you can.

I did the first two assignments following this general idea, and got everything I needed done, with plenty of time left to kill. Good luck folks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Japan, Niche, Cag, Backlog, Vita, Playstation, Xbox, Nintendo, PS4, PS3