* * * * * 3 votes

CAG Niche Backloggers Anonymous (Monster Hunter World!) [February]

Japan Niche Cag Backlog Vita Playstation Xbox Nintendo PS4 PS3

Poll: Backlog game of the month

Wait for next month

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

-

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

-

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1231 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5566 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:10 PM

The Agarest SRPGs are grindy as hell. Just a heads up.

I'm going through Shining Resonance Refrain now and will start Octopath Traveler later. So many pointless sidequests in Shining Resonance though. It's always interesting being able to take on optional enemies that are 2.5x your level. It's about what I remember though. Interesting enough to be enjoyable, but nothing great.

#1232 Supplice   Hi-Fi CAGiversary!   4665 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:23 PM

Speaking of the Agarest War games, they have been delisted from the Xbox store by Aksys Games. It's a matter of time before they get around to PSN and Steam.

#1233 BlackRockWaifu   Advocate for the Black Friday Champion Fredyyy CAGiversary!   2933 Posts   Joined 4.8 Years Ago  

BlackRockWaifu

Posted 13 July 2018 - 03:03 AM

Damn, one of the reasons I prefer physical content over digital. Though if they ever remove the updates, it'll be obsolete nonetheless. I've really only wanted the LEs for those games, but never got around to buying them.

#1234 deadofnight   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   765 Posts   Joined 5.4 Years Ago  

deadofnight

Posted 13 July 2018 - 05:09 AM

Okay, I might have reached the point in Record of Agarest War where you need to start grinding. I've been having a lot of fun with the gameplay. I'm playing on normal, and I've been beating each new battle as they pop up.

Then I reached a giant bird. In one turn it can KO any of my party members. My plan the next time I play is plunder that dungeon of all it's treasure chests and exit. Stock up on supplies, and make enhancements to my gear. Save, then head straight for the bird.

If I can't figure out a way to beat him with the level I'm at I might shelve the game. Grinding fights in the same area doesn't appeal to me. I don't mind there being a shit ton of fights as long as it seems like I'm working my way through something. But purposely repeating the same fights seems like a drag.

Update. I was able to beat the bird. All it took was better positioning. Spaced out enough to avoid multiple party members getting hit from a single attack, but close enough to each other so that healing and revives can be done. My characters' standard attacks did practically no damage, but they were important because they helped build meter towards the major attacks. It was an interesting fight.

So far I'm really liking this game.

#1235 Supplice   Hi-Fi CAGiversary!   4665 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 16 July 2018 - 07:07 PM

I've been enjoying Shining Resonance Refrain even if for the third time. The skits and dates still make me laugh and smile. Plus, listening to the English cast give their interpretations of the characters are well done and provide another unique experience for me. 

Other than that, I'm just trying to see how fast I can complete things with my knowledge of the game. To which I broke the normal difficulty of the game within the first 11 hours of play. Starting with Chapter 2 via some power leveling by abusing perfect block against enemies 3x my level. After that in Chapter 3, I gathered all the special aspects from the grimoire dungeons and started working on my Berserker Yuma build. After a bit and not even half completed, I was already doing an average of 600 dmg to monsters per normal strike. In Chapter 4, I rushed to make the materials needed to make several aspects to allow benched members to gain EXP so I could just stay with all my all star team. It also helped me max out the attack speed tune needed to unlocked the last three in Yuma's tree. One of which is needed for my Berserker build and thus, completing the setup.  At level 8 of the tune with stacking level 2-3 aspects, I was hitting for 1.2K damage per swing after buffs.

So at this point the story is essentially done. However, I need to grind out the dating for all party members to see their respective endings and level someone to 100. It's actually really relaxing.  :beer:  

Lastly, I finished the Sega Survey they provided a link to within the game's XMB. I just asked for them to continue the series, localize them, give SteelBooks as physical preorders incentives (the metal case was a good start), exclusives themes or DLCs for digital buyers, and keep hiring Tony Taka for visual materials.  :D