Nioh - 'Bloodshed’s End' DLC - September 26th

Supplice

CAGiversary!
15d154j.jpg

Set in a time of civil war in Japan, Nioh not only incorporates classic elements such as samurai and supernatural creatures from Japanese folklore, but also offers the exhilaration of an authentic samurai sword fight straight from Team NINJA, the team that defined brutal action games.

Developed under the direction of Kou Shibusawa, Hisashi Koinuma, and Team Ninja, Nioh will challenge your skill, your patience, and your strategy — can you survive in the demon-plagued land of the samurai?

“Ten years have passed since Nioh was originally announced. Even during all that time though, gamers would always ask about it at events like E3 and Gamescom. We always felt support from the gamers around the world for this title.

“Now, finally, Nioh — a game created with the entire power of Koei Tecmo — will be released in 2016. In appreciation to all the fans who have waited so long, and in order to have gamers everywhere try Nioh as soon as possible, we will release the Alpha Demo this month. We hope you enjoy overcoming the challenges in this masocore take on samurai action — Nioh.”
–Kou Shibusawa, General Producer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz80GeslJSE​

Articles

Last edited by a moderator:
I never realized how much I missed Onimusha until this alpha haha. It has been so long since we have seen a game with this type of setting and overall atmosphere and I am so extremely stoked for it!

Didn't grab me but I might be jaded with punishing game design after all the Souls games and Salt and Sanctuary. I couldn't really figure out combat, like if the game had riposte or how the finisher worked when enemies hit zero Ki. Was too lazy to look it up. ;) It's certainly different but just not that appealing to me after trying it for half an hour.

Didn't grab me but I might be jaded with punishing game design after all the Souls games and Salt and Sanctuary. I couldn't really figure out combat, like if the game had riposte or how the finisher worked when enemies hit zero Ki. Was too lazy to look it up. ;) It's certainly different but just not that appealing to me after trying it for half an hour.
well you said it yourself you couldnt figure out combat. my buddy was getting his ass kicked, so i streamed some gameplay for him to get an idea on how you should approach enemies.

i start fighting around the 1:30 mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBHVtn4OyQE

Yeah, I guess the best way I could put it is combat felt stiff to me in that you can dodge away but sometimes too far with no gap closer. A simple riposte would work to help that I think. I don't miss Onimusha at all and Ninja Gaiden was never really my thing, so the setting isn't really for me as well. Also, you can copy souls gameplay but come on now. . .

Nioh.jpg

NiOh’s Survey Results Published; 850,000 Downloads for the Demo

The only thing I asked to be improved in the survey was the camera lock-on. Everything else I found to be well done including difficulty.
Looks like some complaints are that they have listed will make the game easier. I hope they keep it the way it was for the most part. What I mean is that I hope that the majority of those complaining of the difficulty impacting elements were in the minority overall so that the developer/publisher isn't more inclined to listen to them hah

One of the things listed is to get rid of weapon and armor durability... wtf. That is clearly a major part of the game...

But yeah if they can improve on the camera and the quarter/half circle analog detection that is all I really want. Well that and make the online more smooth but that is just a given.

NiOh’s Survey Results Published; 850,000 Downloads for the Demo

The only thing I asked to be improved in the survey was the camera lock-on. Everything else I found to be well done including difficulty.
So I read that as all feedback that they gathered.. not necessarily things they will for sure change but rather the main takeaways from the surveys.

I just saw this video from Gamespot where they make it seem as though all of the things listed will actually be changed... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSCSZo_OdZY

for example, the weapon durability.

Is that poor journalism on Gamespot's part or am I reading the message from the Devs wrong?

So I read that as all feedback that they gathered.. not necessarily things they will for sure change but rather the main takeaways from the surveys.

I just saw this video from Gamespot where they make it seem as though all of the things listed will actually be changed... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSCSZo_OdZY

for example, the weapon durability.

Is that poor journalism on Gamespot's part or am I reading the message from the Devs wrong?
absolutely poor journalism. no where in team ninjas statement said this is what we are changing, what they list is just what they are saw as common statements made by the people who played the demo.

i dont get why so many people bitched about weapon durability. it wasnt a big deal and they gave you plenty of glue and the other thing to repair your stuff. plus you were constantly getting better shit anyway. i was getting a slightly better weapon/armor what seemed like every 10 minutes.

absolutely poor journalism. no where in team ninjas statement said this is what we are changing, what they list is just what they are saw as common statements made by the people who played the demo.

i dont get why so many people bitched about weapon durability. it wasnt a big deal and they gave you plenty of glue and the other thing to repair your stuff. plus you were constantly getting better shit anyway. i was getting a slightly better weapon/armor what seemed like every 10 minutes.
Good haha I thought I was going crazy when I saw that clip! I am really hoping they keep the durability. If they change too many things it will legit just be Dark Souls. I like that the durability stood out and made me want to change weapons every so often as well as armor. Felt much more Diablo/Borderlands - esque that way and I can appreciate that.

I didn't play it more than 30 minutes so I didn't really get to the point where I was annoyed by durability but I can see how it would become super tedious 10 hours in having to repair/swap weapons constantly.

you dont have to constantly repair in the game though. i dont get where these people are saying their shit was constantly breaking. were they just sitting there blocking every attack during every enemy encounter? by the time i finished the second stage of the demo, i was maxed out on whetstones and glue.

I know a weapon I had was nearly broken after clearing just one area of enemies, so it must be the wear from blocking attacks.

Hmmm, maybe 15-20 enemies? Then again, if you never block I'm sure it wears down slower and I was just trying to learn move sets so I was blocking a lot.

Hmmm, maybe 15-20 enemies? Then again, if you never block I'm sure it wears down slower and I was just trying to learn move sets so I was blocking a lot.
theres about 30 enemies total in that first entire area including the first oni demon. if your weapon breaks after doing basically 1/2 or 2/3rds of a whole section of a stage, id say thats pretty decent with durability considering youre probably blocking 2-3 hits for every enemy encounter. especially since youre getting other weapon drops and stuff to repair said weapons.

in order to please everyone, they just need to make easy mode where there is no stamina or durability and hardcore mode or whatever you wanna call it where it was just like the alpha

Yeah, I mean even in Dark Souls adding durability had its place (PvP with using special moves a la Moonlight GS) where it was still a factor, but not a focus. It was still a reminder that after so long you should visit a bonfire as well but never so constant that you're like "FML STOP BREAKING!" They can keep it included, but it definitely needs some rebalancing from the sounds of it.

Nioh Shows Off Monster Filled Action in New Beta Trailer
The new Nakatsu stage leads protagonist William along a treacherous mountain path to a deep cave, where he must prevail against human and supernatural enemies alike—including the seductive Hinoenma, a dangerous Yokai under the guise of a beautiful woman. Defeating the Nakatsu stage will award players with the Mark of the Strong DLC, which will be available when the game launches.

The experience gained from the trials of Usuki and Nakatsu should equip the most skilled players for an even more challenging undertaking: the Twilight mission. In this arduous mission, players can re-visit Usuki or Nakatsu, battle against stronger enemies and new fearsome creatures, and earn highly-valued items.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJdJ4Y0iohs

Ni-Oh: Watch 24 Minutes of Spectacular and Brutal Gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtCZGfYGJFc

US is up now. not sure what happened. the devs said it wasnt coming until the 24th. played through the first stage again and did a sub mission which was fucking ridiculous by yourself.

gonna start up the new mission later.

Apparently, the game was suppose to recognize if you had gotten the Mark of the Conqueror before and thus, letting you start the new area immediately.

Anyway, I had to go through the first stage too before just heading straight to the new area. I have to say, I love this game's version of "illusory walls" more so than the Souls games.  :lol:

Apparently, the game was suppose to recognize if you had gotten the Mark of the Conqueror before and thus, letting you start the new area immediately.

Anyway, I had to go through the first stage too before just heading straight to the new area. I have to say, I love this game's version of "illusory walls" more so than the Souls games. :lol:
yeah, i had to redo the 1st mission. i deleted my game data cuz i didnt think it would be useful anymore. that new boss is hard AF. gonna try to co-op it with someone later.

I finished it and got my Mark of the Warrior. It took me a few tries to get the timing down for side-dodging that paralyzing wave. I noticed when being close to her, she didn't use it as much. It made her combo move-set and twirls easy to capitalize on. When in the air, I shot her with the Matchlock after she threw her set of kunais.

*I have completed everything in the beta including the twilight missions. I absolutely loved the Muneshige Tachibana fight. 

Also, here is the official Beta survey link: http://www.gamecity.ne.jp/form/nioh_b_uk

I cannot get enough of this game. I honestly think I like this combat more than Dark Souls. I can't believe I am saying it but I really do. Having the multiple stances and ability to quickly swap between two different weapons makes for some amazing moments.

I literally just spent probably two hours just summoning phantoms and having awesome one v one fights. They are so tense and fun. I REALLY hope there is some form of PvP in the full game because this type of combat just screams for it I feel like. It feels like a wonderful mix of Dark Souls and Bushido Blade. I LOVE it.

Between the Alpha and the Beta I just want the full game really badly now. I saw that Amazon UK apparently put up a posting a while back for Nioh and had October 28th as the release date. What do you guys think of that? In the current state the game is with the beta I feel the core experience is there and so if they have all the levels and stuff completed I can totally see it being ready for launch soon. Or at least.. I sure hope it is!

Oh yeah and the illusion walls in this definitely trump those in Dark Souls haha I legit jumped when I found the one!

Nioh = GOTY
I love the flux of switching stances with the spear more so than the other weapons during ki-pulses. I only used the regular katana and dual katanas, but their fluxes aren't as "flowing" during transition in comparison to the spear. It's just beautiful how its move-set flows into one grand combo if done correctly.

As for PvP, I think there will be because there are two things in the game that suggest it. First, go to the Tori gate and it asks you before searching if you want to join as a "Visitor"or a "Wanderer." Visitor is obviously co-op, but the Wanderer option is blanked out and not available. This suggests that it might be the invader option. Secondly, the item that creates a portal to your world from the Yokai realm, I forgot what it's called, but currently in the beta it does nothing. A lot of players assume this allows "Wanderers" into your world like using dried fingers in Dark Souls.

Here is a fun tip about those illusory walls. There is a Revenant nearby them that tell you how they died with a hint. For example: "JohnDoe was crushed for using friendly behavior." So go in front of the wall and use either the yellow (neutral) gestures or the red (malice) gestures. One of them will be correct. Then the wall will respond in kind and disappear without fighting it.

As for the release date, hopefully something is announced soon, but October seems really likely. I guess it depends on what, if any, changes are made from the Beta survey results.

Nioh = Great
I completely agree with the Spear being arguably the most flowing weapon. I love the way it pulses between the stances too! I love the mid stance Spear Move where you just basically pull the person around and they are facing the other way haha. I have been enjoying the Spear and then Dual Katanas. Though just doing a one vs one with a single Katana just feels super amazing and fitting hah.

THAT IS AWESOME about the doors haha super cool way of doing it.

As much as I love Dark Souls I am far more looking forward to this than the new DLC for III so whenever it does finally come out, it will never be soon enough!

Speaking of the Beta survey, as much as I am enjoying the game, what kind of (if any) negative feedback did you have that you would like to be addressed? Not necessarily a negative but I would like the ability to mark an item as junk. I know you can sell by rarity and I do that a bunch but I wish if when I get items and I see them for the first time I could just mark them as junk to be easily sold later. Other than that though I really can't find anything that I felt needed to be addressed.

Speaking of the Beta survey, as much as I am enjoying the game, what kind of (if any) negative feedback did you have that you would like to be addressed? Not necessarily a negative but I would like the ability to mark an item as junk. I know you can sell by rarity and I do that a bunch but I wish if when I get items and I see them for the first time I could just mark them as junk to be easily sold later. Other than that though I really can't find anything that I felt needed to be addressed.
I think the only negative I mentioned was the twilight bosses. There should be something more challenging added to the bosses rather than just mob trash such as the boss having additional attacks.

The only other thing I suggested was if they would please add a way to respec in the full game. I would love to try out different builds and weapons without having to create additional character profiles.

I made three for the Beta: Katana and full Spirit to abuse Living Weapon with Kato or Fuse-Uschi guardians, Dual Katana with Ninja, and Spear with Magic.

I think the only negative I mentioned was the twilight bosses. There should be something more challenging added to the bosses rather than just mob trash such as the boss having additional attacks.

The only other thing I suggested was if they would please add a way to respec in the full game. I would love to try out different builds and weapons without having to create additional character profiles.

I made three for the Beta: Katana and full Spirit to abuse Living Weapon with Kato or Fuse-Uschi guardians, Dual Katana with Ninja, and Spear with Magic.
That is intense that you played the beta so much! Haha I understand why though, I likely would if I had more time to.

Since you have played far more than I, how does powering down mid mission work? So I know I can use the branch and go back to the over-world map, but have only played it large chunks of time and so always just beat missions right through. If I boot up the game, play through a bit, make a couple shortcuts and then quit the game and close the application, when I next boot it back up will that progress save basically from the last Shrine I visited or will the entire mission be restarted?

one changed i put in the survey is they should make the healing and ki water animations slightly faster. right now elixirs take a little too long to use.

That is intense that you played the beta so much! Haha I understand why though, I likely would if I had more time to.

Since you have played far more than I, how does powering down mid mission work? So I know I can use the branch and go back to the over-world map, but have only played it large chunks of time and so always just beat missions right through. If I boot up the game, play through a bit, make a couple shortcuts and then quit the game and close the application, when I next boot it back up will that progress save basically from the last Shrine I visited or will the entire mission be restarted?
A lot of it is because I play Co-Op with my friends, but I'll farm gear solo. It's pretty crazy that everything has double health and it doesn't feel like I steam roll through everything just because of being a higher level. I think either the player gets scaled down or the enemies scale up when playing co-op, but it's a nice touch.

Everything will be saved as long as you use the shrine before powering off.

Lol you guys are going ham over this game. I just couldn't get into it; I don't think the Onimusha vibe is for me anymore so that's probably it. That and I've burned out on Souls-type games for a while.

I can't beat the demo boss to get the Mark of the Strong.

Edit: Finally beat hear after learning her patterns.

Late I know but if you can nab some solid fast combos on her she will get stunned for some solid damage
Oh yeah that would explain why she fell down near the end and I was basically able to deliver the killing blow. I just noticed that her stamina bar was depleted and I went all in.

Kind of sucks though to push it to February, was really hoping it was this year since most of the games coming out for the rest of the year are mostly shooters in some way shape or form and this would have been a nice break. That month [Feb] is already stacked with PS exclusives Horizon and Persona plus For Honor.

bread's done
Back