* * * * - 9 votes

Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

#7201 Vigilante   poyo CAGiversary!   37991 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 01 June 2021 - 06:59 PM

https://spiritfarer.iam8bit.com

It says releases July 27th and pre-orders soon. Does anyone know if that means pre-orders open July 27th? Or does it mean it will ship on July 27th and pre-orders will open at some point in early June?

The latter.

#7202 ShadowAssassin   #TTP CAGiversary!   4979 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

ShadowAssassin

Posted 01 June 2021 - 10:56 PM

https://www.gamestop...r/11109975.html

Spiritfarer up for pre-order on Gamestop. Not sure if it's exclusive or why it's not available on the iam8bit store.

#7203 bojay1997   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6698 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted 01 June 2021 - 11:01 PM

https://www.gamestop...r/11109975.html

Spiritfarer up for pre-order on Gamestop. Not sure if it's exclusive or why it's not available on the iam8bit store.

It's not exclusive to Gamestop and I don't even think there is an Iam8bit exclusive standard version this time.  Iam8bit will be carrying an exclusive CE at some point in the future though.  

#7204 Mattiful-Joe   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   3303 Posts   Joined 17.7 Years Ago  

Mattiful-Joe

Posted 03 June 2021 - 05:38 AM

It's not exclusive to Gamestop and I don't even think there is an Iam8bit exclusive standard version this time.  Iam8bit will be carrying an exclusive CE at some point in the future though.  

That's right.  AFAIK, iam8bit is just a routine publisher like any other, and the game should be carried across multiple retailers.  Nothing I've heard suggests the game itself will be sold exclusively through any one retailer (outside of a limited edition which - as bojay1997 states - will be available only through iam8bit's store).

Fine by me.  I only buy standard editions, anyways.

#7205 WingsDJY   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4109 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 03 June 2021 - 06:15 PM

iam8bit carries unique "standard" editions on their site in addition to the CEs/LEs. The differences are typically pretty minor though, so you're not missing out on much if you just buy the general standard release elsewhere.

#7206 bojay1997   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6698 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted 03 June 2021 - 06:21 PM

iam8bit carries unique "standard" editions on their site in addition to the CEs/LEs. The differences are typically pretty minor though, so you're not missing out on much if you just buy the general standard release elsewhere.

Yes, but for Spiritfarer, they specifically mentioned that there was no unique standard edition.  The only unique SKU will be the CE that will be an Iam8Bit exclusive.

#7207 Jurai  

Posted 05 June 2021 - 05:11 PM

picked up Razion EX  and the LE

#7208 redrum666   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1419 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 05 June 2021 - 06:50 PM

#7209 redrum666   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1419 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 05 June 2021 - 10:00 PM

LIVE NOW 

Strictly Limited Games Store

#7210 redrum666   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1419 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 06 June 2021 - 04:03 PM

#7211 RubMySweatyThighsPls  

RubMySweatyThighsPls

Posted 06 June 2021 - 04:26 PM

picked up Razion EX  and the LE

Damn forgot about this release it seems they will still sell "Used" meaning some type of flaws on it ranging from misprint issues or scratches but still new 

Razion EX LE(used)

Razion EX

No date or time yet for these 

#7212 Jurai  

Posted 06 June 2021 - 11:56 PM

Damn forgot about this release it seems they will still sell "Used" meaning some type of flaws on it ranging from misprint issues or scratches but still new 

Razion EX LE(used)

Razion EX

No date or time yet for these 

I heard the 'used' copies aren't numbered, so they are probably left over replacement/promo allotment

#7213 n64ra   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2913 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 07 June 2021 - 02:30 PM

Space Invaders Invincible Collection arrived Friday, almost 11 months after ordering.

#7214 redrum666   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1419 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 07 June 2021 - 05:42 PM

#7215 redrum666   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1419 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 07 June 2021 - 05:42 PM

#7216 redrum666   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1419 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 07 June 2021 - 05:48 PM

Horizon Chase Turbo for PS Vita

Preorders open with @playasia this Thursday, June 10th at 11pm Hong Kong (11am ET / 4pm UK). Only 2200 units!

#7217 SephirothWF   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1518 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

SephirothWF

Posted 09 June 2021 - 05:16 PM

#7218 Jurai  

Posted 09 June 2021 - 05:29 PM

Will be interesting if they straight up don't ever put the game on any digital shops, even moreso if they limit the print run

#7219 redrum666   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1419 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 10 June 2021 - 03:05 PM

ON SALE NOW

#7220 Jurai  

Posted 11 June 2021 - 05:06 PM

Looks like Special Reserve and Super Rare are both going for the Physical Only games movement (Special Reserve is releasing Demon Throttle as a physical only no-eshop release soon)

#7221 Madzane  

Posted 11 June 2021 - 06:59 PM

Yea, I don’t really grasp the need for this. I totally understand clamoring for a favorite previously digital only game to get a physical release but I question the quality when you are aiming from the get go to only cater to a tiny allotment of physical media.

#7222 bojay1997   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6698 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted 11 June 2021 - 07:59 PM

Yea, I don’t really grasp the need for this. I totally understand clamoring for a favorite previously digital only game to get a physical release but I question the quality when you are aiming from the get go to only cater to a tiny allotment of physical media.

Agree.  Not to mention the economics of this seem terrible unless they are planning on charging $60 a pop or something like that.  

#7223 Jurai  

Posted 11 June 2021 - 08:38 PM

Glad this isn't through LRG

#7224 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3624 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 11 June 2021 - 08:43 PM

Super Rare Shorts... Such an odd idea in this day and age.  I can't imagine any of these games will be worth my time.  But no doubt they will probably sell out of everything because people like rare stuff regardless of quality.

#7225 Tothoro  

Posted 12 June 2021 - 03:02 PM

Similar things have been happening in the Vita space for a while and it's because the audience of physical collectors is larger than the number of people who actually want to play the game and anything printed at MOQ is practically guaranteed to sell through as a result.

At this point, you can publish digitally and jump through all the hoops in all of the regions to get your game listed and maybe sell a thousand copies or physically publish it in one region and practically guarantee a 5k sellthrough. Especially if you rachet up demand by only putting the games out physically.

It actually works out really well for SRG and the game developers (more sales = more money after all), but it feels predatory to consumers. If the Vita's any precedent (which it seems to be) a lot of these titles will be shovelware-quality but sold as premium products. And a lot of collectors will feel compelled to buy them with the layers and layers of FOMO.

I also think Robert Boyd (Zeboyd Games) and Josh from LRG had some good threads on why this is a bad idea or at the very least marketed exceptionally poorly:

#7226 Jurai  

Posted 12 June 2021 - 03:47 PM

Similar things have been happening in the Vita space for a while and it's because the audience of physical collectors is larger than the number of people who actually want to play the game and anything printed at MOQ is practically guaranteed to sell through as a result.

At this point, you can publish digitally and jump through all the hoops in all of the regions to get your game listed and maybe sell a thousand copies or physically publish it in one region and practically guarantee a 5k sellthrough. Especially if you rachet up demand by only putting the games out physically.

It actually works out really well for SRG and the game developers (more sales = more money after all), but it feels predatory to consumers. If the Vita's any precedent (which it seems to be) a lot of these titles will be shovelware-quality but sold as premium products. And a lot of collectors will feel compelled to buy them with the layers and layers of FOMO.

I also think Robert Boyd (Zeboyd Games) and Josh from LRG had some good threads on why this is a bad idea or at the very least marketed exceptionally poorly:

'forever physical'

Josh is a piece of shit and probably lying out his ass cuz they missed the train lol

#7227 redman77   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   326 Posts   Joined 17.6 Years Ago  

redman77

Posted 12 June 2021 - 04:29 PM

'forever physical'

Josh is a piece of shit and probably lying out his ass cuz they missed the train lol

His 7 or 8 tweet "thoughts" on the matter are kind of funny. The best thing for him to do regarding rival companies is to keep his mouth shut. Says "digital piracy is essential to truly preserving games." Ok, Josh, whatever. BTW, till waiting on a non-broken version of Night Trap on the Vita, as well as the replacement disc for the incomplete Game Tengoku on PS4 that LRG promised people who paid money for their product and received an incomplete version. Josh is a conman, and from what I can tell he is overly defensive and somewhat dishonest.

#7228 Tothoro  

Posted 12 June 2021 - 05:59 PM

It's incredibly ironic that Josh is saying "piracy is the answer to preservation" when he built a multi-million dollar company on the premise of preservation via physical media. If piracy were truly that prolific he wouldn't have a company or a job.

By no means am I suddenly a fan of his, but I do think his thread was a good rebuttal of the BS reasons they gave for making this game physical-only. From what I can tell the idea's being nearly unanimously panned online, which is refreshing to see considering how mindlessly people have been eating up whatever nonsense is shoveled in the limited print space for the past several years.

#7229 Jurai  

Posted 12 June 2021 - 09:10 PM

Demon Throttle is live, bought 2 CE

#7230 RubMySweatyThighsPls  

RubMySweatyThighsPls

Posted 12 June 2021 - 09:19 PM

Here is a link for people 
https://specialreser...demon-throttle/