* * * * - 9 votes

Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

#2701 Doomstink   AUTOBOT Retailer Representative   2955 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 01 November 2017 - 01:26 PM

In theory, couldn't Ruiner be published outside of NA to bypass the ESRB shenanigans?

To the best of my knowledge, the only region with ratings free packaging is Asia. Publishing there would require a physical presence in Asia as well as an existing relationship with Sony Asia. It wouldn't be an easy thing to do.

#2702 ignition365  

ignition365

Posted 01 November 2017 - 01:33 PM

To the best of my knowledge, the only region with ratings free packaging is Asia. Publishing there would require a physical presence in Asia as well as an existing relationship with Sony Asia. It wouldn't be an easy thing to do.

I mean, I'm figuring there is some sort of point of contention, but theoretically couldn't they work with Play-Asia/EAS?

#2703 Tyrok   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2317 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 01 November 2017 - 02:38 PM

I can't find info about this anywhere. I wanted to see what the cel looked like. 

It's a Best Buy exclusive which might explain why there's no info yet.

#2704 therealdeal19   GIANT ENEMY CRABS!!! CAGiversary!   1113 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

therealdeal19

Posted 01 November 2017 - 04:57 PM

Patapon 2 believe did it first.

You can add Ori on Xbox One. Hopefully, MS will do the same thing again and give us the disc version of Cuphead that we want!

#2705 thorbahn3   Everyone talks too much! Super Moderators   4205 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 01 November 2017 - 05:14 PM

Nicalis announces physical version of Wonder Boy: The Dragon’s Trap for North America. Switch Version.

http://nintendoevery...-north-america/

#2706 PrinnyJ   Stay@HomeDad Gamer CAGiversary!   1014 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Posted 01 November 2017 - 05:25 PM

Cool, just saw the PR announcement about Nicalis publishing a physical version of Wonder Boy.  I want the Switch version, but $40 feels a bit steep.

#2707 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2690 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 01 November 2017 - 05:31 PM

I want the Switch version, but $40 feels a bit steep.

It's actually encouraging that the Switch has been providing a wider spread of price-points. I've seen games for it going for anywhere from $10 to $60. Even the physical copies have a significantly larger mid-tier pricing than most other platforms. I find it very encouraging to see so many games coming out at so many different prices, instead of just slapping $60 on each of them.

That said, I do agree that $40 for Dragon's Trap is a little on the steep side. Especially how late after it's initial release this is coming out. Of course, it could be that it will have some decent packaging and good instruction booklet, we will have to see. I didn't have any trouble paying a little extra for Binding of Isaac on the Switch. But that was because the cover art for that release was fantastic, and it came with a really nice Zelda-referential instruction booklet. And of course, a physical release opens up the possibility of a physical sale, and/or physical clearance prices. So a little patience might give you the opportunity to get it for less.

#2708 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   2606 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 01 November 2017 - 05:58 PM

Nicalis announces physical version of Wonder Boy: The Dragon’s Trap for North America. Switch Version.

http://nintendoevery...-north-america/

Also they are doing a PS4 version.  I'm down for the switch version, just kind of taken aback that they are doing a retail PS4 version after LRG's version.  Very interesting.

https://twitter.com/...772928947326977

#2709 ignition365  

ignition365

Posted 01 November 2017 - 06:04 PM

Fantastic.  I love Nicalis releases.

Legit considering selling my LRG version because Nicalis will be superior for sure.

#2710 falsedichotomies  

falsedichotomies

Posted 01 November 2017 - 09:20 PM

Has anyone gotten their non-collectors Absolver PS4 from SRG yet?

I checked the website recently to see what was going on, and in my order history, it shows incorrect information. Basically it says I bought Shadow Warriors 2 twice! It also shows both as completed in October, even though I have had this Absolver preorder in since July and have the e-mail to prove it. Customer service has yet to respond.

Good riddance to SRG selling PS4 games if they can't even handle basic stuff.

#2711 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7030 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 01 November 2017 - 09:45 PM

I checked the website recently to see what was going on, and in my order history, it shows incorrect information. Basically it says I bought Shadow Warriors 2 twice! It also shows both as completed in October, even though I have had this Absolver preorder in since July and have the e-mail to prove it. Customer service has yet to respond.

I've only really seen problems from them since the start. And considering how many new start ups are doing the same thing in regards to limited games, I really don't expect them to be around much longer. The feedback has been shit, with little to no communication in regards to anything. If you can't handle basic CS issues with a reply to emails, you shouldn't be in business to begin with.

#2712 bojay1997   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6206 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 01 November 2017 - 09:53 PM

I received my standard PS4 edition last week and I also had the glitch in my order history where it showed as Shadow Warriors 2.  I would reach out to them on Twitter or Facebook as that's the only way I've ever been able to get them to deal with problems in my orders.  Oddly, Absolver is the only game I have ever ordered from them where there wasn't an issue with shipping it out timely.  

#2713 PrinnyJ   Stay@HomeDad Gamer CAGiversary!   1014 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Posted 01 November 2017 - 10:13 PM

It's actually encouraging that the Switch has been providing a wider spread of price-points. I've seen games for it going for anywhere from $10 to $60. Even the physical copies have a significantly larger mid-tier pricing than most other platforms. I find it very encouraging to see so many games coming out at so many different prices, instead of just slapping $60 on each of them.

That said, I do agree that $40 for Dragon's Trap is a little on the steep side. Especially how late after it's initial release this is coming out. Of course, it could be that it will have some decent packaging and good instruction booklet, we will have to see. I didn't have any trouble paying a little extra for Binding of Isaac on the Switch. But that was because the cover art for that release was fantastic, and it came with a really nice Zelda-referential instruction booklet. And of course, a physical release opens up the possibility of a physical sale, and/or physical clearance prices. So a little patience might give you the opportunity to get it for less.

IIRC, the other Nicalis Switch releases were $30, so the $40 reminds me of the "switch tax".  I'm not saying it is, since the PS4 release is probably $40 as well, but it feels like it.

And yes, I'm kind of banking on sales/clearances for the physical version.  I'll admit that I hadn't even thought of any extras they may cram in there, like the keychains and stuff they did for Isaac and Tiny Barbarian.  Good thinking!

#2714 kevers7290   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   283 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

kevers7290

Posted 01 November 2017 - 10:33 PM

Any difference in terms of content between the Play-Asia release of Wonder Boy vs. the Nicalis release? I already pre-ordered the Switch version from PA. Aside from packaging, will the content on the cartridge be identical?

#2715 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7030 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 01 November 2017 - 10:40 PM

IIRC, the other Nicalis Switch releases were $30, so the $40 reminds me of the "switch tax".  I'm not saying it is, since the PS4 release is probably $40 as well, but it feels like it.

And yes, I'm kind of banking on sales/clearances for the physical version.  I'll admit that I hadn't even thought of any extras they may cram in there, like the keychains and stuff they did for Isaac and Tiny Barbarian.  Good thinking!

Some are $30, but some are $40 as well. I really don't know what makes it one or the other, but it happens. https://www.amazon.c...d=3VZBLICHTV7UL

EDIT: I would guess maybe when they are doing it for another company, it may be more expensive, as more sides need to get paid. Where the $30 ones, maybe their specific titles, and can be offered cheaper. Just a thought, as I don't know for sure either way.

#2716 csbaker-az  

csbaker-az

Posted 02 November 2017 - 12:04 AM

Well it will be $40 MSRP and $32 at Best Buy or Bubblemailerzon.

GCU and being able to order it whenever and not having it sell out in 30 seconds is a win.

#2717 Olengie   Your Waifu is Kuso. Except Mine CAGiversary!   11734 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

Posted 02 November 2017 - 12:06 AM

Legit considering selling my LRG version because Nicalis will be superior for sure.

in what way?

#2718 bojay1997   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6206 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 02 November 2017 - 12:10 AM

Well it will be $40 MSRP and $32 at Best Buy or Bubblemailerzon.

GCU and being able to order it whenever and not having it sell out in 30 seconds is a win.

Shouldn't you be bitching about how stressed this makes you that you will now have to buy an additional variant of the same game?  I'm assuming you bought both standard covers and the CE, so this will be what, your fourth copy of the game?  

#2719 csbaker-az  

csbaker-az

Posted 02 November 2017 - 12:12 AM

Shouldn't you be bitching about how stressed this makes you that you will now have to buy an additional variant of the same game?  I'm assuming you bought both standard covers and the CE, so this will be what, your fourth copy of the game?  

I can preorder this whenever and not only in a once in a lifetime 5 second window, it wasn't released simultaneously with every other platform at the same time, and it hasn't been released on Switch yet, so it's a bit more relaxing as a standard retail release in ample supply.  Thanks for your concern though.

#2720 Doomstink   AUTOBOT Retailer Representative   2955 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 02 November 2017 - 01:32 AM

in what way?

If I've heard correctly, it won't be, but I guess time will tell. I've heard it lacks reversible cover art.

Happy that more people can get ahold of this wonderful game, but our release was really great - personal bias aside. 24-page throwback manual and a retro/modern reversible cover. I'm sure Nicalis' release will be fine but it really kills me to see people hating on us here.

#2721 Squeegor 2  

Squeegor 2

Posted 02 November 2017 - 03:53 AM

If I've heard correctly, it won't be, but I guess time will tell. I've heard it lacks reversible cover art.

Happy that more people can get ahold of this wonderful game, but our release was really great - personal bias aside. 24-page throwback manual and a retro/modern reversible cover. I'm sure Nicalis' release will be fine but it really kills me to see people hating on us here.

If you don't print enough, if you do print enough, if you over-print your releases... you'll have someone complaining. I'm all for constructive criticisms but a lot of the negative feedback I see here on CAG just seems like hating for the sake of hating.

#2722 ignition365  

ignition365

Posted 02 November 2017 - 12:57 PM

No hate, I just really like the quality of Nicalis' releases.  They always do high quality full manuals, really nice cover art, with cool art on the reverse side (Not necessarily "reversible"), and other nifty little things.  They've done keychains, stickers, soundtrack cds.  Not sure what Ittle Dew 2, End is Nigh, and Blade Strangers come with, but I'm looking forward to those releases as well.

It's not an insult to you guys, but I'd buy Nicalis over LRG 10/10.

I will complain that you guys too often don't check your UPC numbers consistently.

#2723 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7030 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 02 November 2017 - 02:22 PM

They've done keychains, stickers, soundtrack cds.  Not sure what Ittle Dew 2, End is Nigh, and Blade Strangers come with, but I'm looking forward to those releases as well.

Yeah, I have all those on my Amazon wish list as well. So I'm just waiting to see what may be included with each before purchases, as I only grab NS game currently for titles that have "day one" type offerings, that may be gone later on.

I agree, Nicalis has been doing really good offerings as of late, so I hope they keep it up. I'll buy any of their releases for the manuals alone, as those are greatly missed from gaming in general. So I'm happy to support a place that offers them.

#2724 thormx3467  

thormx3467

Posted 02 November 2017 - 05:00 PM

Yeah, I have all those on my Amazon wish list as well. So I'm just waiting to see what may be included with each before purchases, as I only grab NS game currently for titles that have "day one" type offerings, that may be gone later on.

Here's what Ittle Dew and End is Nigh come with. Nothing on Blade Strangers yet.image-1.jpg 151648_bonusLG.jpg

#2725 ignition365  

ignition365

Posted 02 November 2017 - 05:07 PM

For real.  I love Nicalis.

#2726 Miada   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1013 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 02 November 2017 - 05:19 PM

I also prefer Nicalis over LRG. I really don't like LRG's business practices. Tends to appeal more to the scalpers, unfortunately. Apparently they're going to be publishing Switch releases as well, which is annoying.

I haven't played Ittle Dew 1, but I might pick up the sequel.

So, if I pre-order from Amazon, it'll come with the map and manual above, or do I have to strictly pre-order from Nicalis?

Is Tiny Barbarian any good?

God I love the tiny little Switch cases.

#2727 Green Card200   The Time Mage CAGiversary!   2387 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Green Card200

Posted 02 November 2017 - 05:21 PM

Apparently they're going to be publishing Switch releases as well, which is annoying.

What?

#2728 Miada   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1013 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 02 November 2017 - 05:23 PM

What?

Not sure if you're being sarcastic and I'm just late on this information (as I haven't checked this thread in a while), but :

IMG_6208.PNG

#2729 ignition365  

ignition365

Posted 02 November 2017 - 05:35 PM

I also prefer Nicalis over LRG. I really don't like LRG's business practices. Tends to appeal more to the scalpers, unfortunately. Apparently they're going to be publishing Switch releases as well, which is annoying.

I haven't played Ittle Dew 1, but I might pick up the sequel.

So, if I pre-order from Amazon, it'll come with the map and manual above, or do I have to strictly pre-order from Nicalis?

Is Tiny Barbarian any good?

God I love the tiny little Switch cases.

Ittle Dew is fantastic, plays like Link to the Past, but it also doesn't take itself at all seriously.

I actually skipped Tiny Barbarian because I'm burnt out with pixel art games.

If you preorder from anywhere you should get it.  I preorder from BB and have gotten the goods with the games.

#2730 Miada   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1013 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 02 November 2017 - 05:37 PM

Ittle Dew is fantastic, plays like Link to the Past, but it also doesn't take itself at all seriously.

I actually skipped Tiny Barbarian because I'm burnt out with pixel art games.

If you preorder from anywhere you should get it.  I preorder from BB and have gotten the goods with the games.

I really, really like the art style for Ittle Dew, and I absolutely hear you on the pixel art fatigue.

Thanks!