- - - - -

4K Blu-ray deals & discussion thread

#61 Fatbot3   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2730 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 01 February 2017 - 07:03 PM

The last 4 Harry Potter movies are up for pre-order in 4K, I presume they are withholding the earlier ones for a true restoration. Approximately $50 each though. Talk bout a gouge.

Highway robbery. I hope they are fantastic quality though so they can go through the sale cycle and I can pick them up at a decent price.

#62 shrike4242   Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else. CAGiversary!   49049 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 04:50 PM

Highway robbery. I hope they are fantastic quality though so they can go through the sale cycle and I can pick them up at a decent price.

I'd be wary of the first few not looking as good on 4K as the latter films.  I know that was an issue with the Bourne Identity when it was put out on 4K:

http://www.blu-ray.c.../164766/#Review

The other ones aren't as bad as the first one:

http://www.blu-ray.c.../164765/#Review

http://www.blu-ray.c.../164767/#Review

http://www.blu-ray.c.../164764/#Review

http://www.blu-ray.c.../154620/#Review

All but the last one were filmed and finished in 2K, so it's an upscale to 4K.  Same scenario as we had with DVD titles moved to BluRay, such as anime titles.  The upscales can be crappy or they can be good, though not as good as native source material at or better than the disc resolution.

I'm finding it more and more that it's over the map on movies that are re-released on 4K differ in quality when they were sourced at 2K and upscaled versus native 4K. 

#63 DickBurden   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   732 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

DickBurden

Posted 02 February 2017 - 06:49 PM

I'm happy to stick with my Harry Potter blurays and just get Fantastic Beasts in 4K. Maybe in a decade there will be a cheap 4K box set. Blurays are more than fine for now.

#64 anderson4145   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   669 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

anderson4145

Posted 07 February 2017 - 04:35 PM

John wick is on sale at Fry's for 12.96 with email code. I ordered mine from Amazon so here's my code if anyone wants it. 5476391

#65 Snowball21   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   472 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 12:37 AM

B2G1 Free on movies, including 4K, at Target. Works on some 4K preorders like Harry Potter and Fast & Furious movies.

#66 DickBurden   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   732 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

DickBurden

Posted 13 February 2017 - 06:57 AM

Thanks for posting the Target deal. I couldn't find enough 4K movies I wanted (those prices on Lucy and Pacific Rim are insane) but I did grab Deepwater Horizon and the blurays for Pinnochio and Dr. Strange for a decent price with this deal.

#67 Josef   Touched the dead CAGiversary!   9679 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 14 February 2017 - 03:05 PM

Yeah, the Target Buy 2 get 1 free basically amounts to a 33% off sale if you buy the same priced items.  Nice deal.

#68 shrike4242   Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else. CAGiversary!   49049 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 14 February 2017 - 07:56 PM

Yeah, the Target Buy 2 get 1 free basically amounts to a 33% off sale if you buy the same priced items.  Nice deal.

I went animated with three movies, Storks, Trolls and Ice Age 5.    Had to do Storks for shipping since my store couldn't find it, need to grab the other two on the way home. 

#69 Josef   Touched the dead CAGiversary!   9679 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 14 February 2017 - 11:59 PM

I went animated with three movies, Storks, Trolls and Ice Age 5.    Had to do Storks for shipping since my store couldn't find it, need to grab the other two on the way home. 

I ended up getting Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk 4K/3D ($26.99) and The Arrival 4K ($24.99) and got the Mondo steelbook of Ghost in the Shell ($24.99) for free. 

And of course Target put Billy Lynn and The Arrival on backorder with an expected delivery date by March 20th!  Nice reminder of why I hate to order from Target.com sometimes.

#70 JPCERTIFIED   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   232 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

JPCERTIFIED

Posted 19 February 2017 - 03:15 PM

I ended up getting Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk 4K/3D ($26.99) and The Arrival 4K ($24.99) and got the Mondo steelbook of Ghost in the Shell ($24.99) for free. 

And of course Target put Billy Lynn and The Arrival on backorder with an expected delivery date by March 20th!  Nice reminder of why I hate to order from Target.com sometimes.

Only thing to blame Target for is having the best sale for 4k movies then any other store or online site. 

#71 Josef   Touched the dead CAGiversary!   9679 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 20 February 2017 - 10:32 AM

Only thing to blame Target for is having the best sale for 4k movies then any other store or online site. 

Best Buy has been pretty good about putting 4K movies on sale recently - a decent number have been put up for $20 or under over the last few weeks.

#72 shrike4242   Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else. CAGiversary!   49049 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 23 February 2017 - 03:45 PM

Codes from 4K Blu-Ray discs should redeem as follow:

Warner Bros:
Flixster: Redeems UHD
VUDU: Redeems UHD (only if available in their catalog)

Lionsgate:
Redeems HD elsewhere

Universal:
VUDU: Redeems UHD
Universal Studios: Redeems UHD

Sony:
Sony Pictures Store: Redeems UHD
Redeems HD elsewhere

Fox:
Redeems HD everywhere

Paramount:
Redeems HD everywhere

Useful info we should have put in the OP. 

#73 GadgetMan   Visit www.dcuvhd.com for pre-release codes! CAGiversary!   12 Posts   Joined 3.8 Years Ago  

Posted 23 February 2017 - 05:18 PM

Codes from 4K Blu-Ray discs should redeem as follow:

Warner Bros:
VUDU: Redeems UHD (only if available in their catalog)

Lionsgate:
Redeems HD elsewhere

Universal:
VUDU: Redeems UHD
Universal Studios: Redeems UHD

Sony:
Sony Pictures Store: Redeems UHD
Redeems HD elsewhere

Fox:
Redeems HD everywhere

Paramount:

Redeems HD everywhere

Useful info we should have put in the OP. 

Except the LionsGate info is wrong, older titles are redeeming in UHD thru Flixster, but newer titles are not redeeming in UHD anywhere, so advised to hold on to code and wait for licensing to be approved thru Vudu.

Visit www.dcuvhd.com for pre-release codes!