4K Blu-ray deals & discussion thread

anderson4145

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
A few people have mentioned that we should start a 4k thread. Hopefully if this is popular enough that a mod will make it permanent. To start off so far I've wathced Pineapple Express, Chappie, and Enders Game in 4k. I thought Pineapple and chapple looked great, they were crisp and the colors were fantastic. Enders looked better than the 1080p blu but wasn't as impressive. 

I know best buy is going to have $17.99 4k movies on black friday, I'm hoping for some $15 one though.

4k price tracker

http://www.blu-ray.com/deals/?retailerid=1&sortby=price&category=4kbluray

Last edited by a moderator:
Mechanic resurrection 4k is $19.99 on Amazon and Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children 4k is $22.99. If I price match those two and get a sully 4k for $24.99 at Bestbuy. Do I still get $20 off 3 UHD movies?
I've found the best way to handle this is order your titles online, and then call in to price match each title.

Just emailed Amazon to see if they plan on matching best buy for the 20 off 3 since the 3 I want are about $5 cheaper each on Amazon already.

John Wick received a perfect review for video and audio at blu-ray.com and is available for pre-order for only $15.96 on amazon. I can't wait until I get it.

The last 4 Harry Potter movies are up for pre-order in 4K, I presume they are withholding the earlier ones for a true restoration. Approximately $50 each though. Talk bout a gouge.

The last 4 Harry Potter movies are up for pre-order in 4K, I presume they are withholding the earlier ones for a true restoration. Approximately $50 each though. Talk bout a gouge.
Highway robbery. I hope they are fantastic quality though so they can go through the sale cycle and I can pick them up at a decent price.

Highway robbery. I hope they are fantastic quality though so they can go through the sale cycle and I can pick them up at a decent price.
I'd be wary of the first few not looking as good on 4K as the latter films. I know that was an issue with the Bourne Identity when it was put out on 4K:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Bourne-Identity-4K-Blu-ray/164766/#Review

The other ones aren't as bad as the first one:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Bourne-Supremacy-4K-Blu-ray/164765/#Review

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Bourne-Ultimatum-4K-Blu-ray/164767/#Review

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Bourne-Legacy-4K-Blu-ray/164764/#Review

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Jason-Bourne-4K-Blu-ray/154620/#Review

All but the last one were filmed and finished in 2K, so it's an upscale to 4K. Same scenario as we had with DVD titles moved to BluRay, such as anime titles. The upscales can be crappy or they can be good, though not as good as native source material at or better than the disc resolution.

I'm finding it more and more that it's over the map on movies that are re-released on 4K differ in quality when they were sourced at 2K and upscaled versus native 4K.

I'm happy to stick with my Harry Potter blurays and just get Fantastic Beasts in 4K. Maybe in a decade there will be a cheap 4K box set. Blurays are more than fine for now.

John wick is on sale at Fry's for 12.96 with email code. I ordered mine from Amazon so here's my code if anyone wants it. 5476391

Thanks for posting the Target deal. I couldn't find enough 4K movies I wanted (those prices on Lucy and Pacific Rim are insane) but I did grab Deepwater Horizon and the blurays for Pinnochio and Dr. Strange for a decent price with this deal.

Yeah, the Target Buy 2 get 1 free basically amounts to a 33% off sale if you buy the same priced items.  Nice deal.

Yeah, the Target Buy 2 get 1 free basically amounts to a 33% off sale if you buy the same priced items. Nice deal.
I went animated with three movies, Storks, Trolls and Ice Age 5. Had to do Storks for shipping since my store couldn't find it, need to grab the other two on the way home.

I went animated with three movies, Storks, Trolls and Ice Age 5. Had to do Storks for shipping since my store couldn't find it, need to grab the other two on the way home.
I ended up getting Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk 4K/3D ($26.99) and The Arrival 4K ($24.99) and got the Mondo steelbook of Ghost in the Shell ($24.99) for free.

And of course Target put Billy Lynn and The Arrival on backorder with an expected delivery date by March 20th! Nice reminder of why I hate to order from Target.com sometimes.

I ended up getting Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk 4K/3D ($26.99) and The Arrival 4K ($24.99) and got the Mondo steelbook of Ghost in the Shell ($24.99) for free.

And of course Target put Billy Lynn and The Arrival on backorder with an expected delivery date by March 20th! Nice reminder of why I hate to order from Target.com sometimes.
Only thing to blame Target for is having the best sale for 4k movies then any other store or online site.

Only thing to blame Target for is having the best sale for 4k movies then any other store or online site.
Best Buy has been pretty good about putting 4K movies on sale recently - a decent number have been put up for $20 or under over the last few weeks.

Codes from 4K Blu-Ray discs should redeem as follow:

Warner Bros:
Flixster: Redeems UHD
VUDU: Redeems UHD (only if available in their catalog)

Lionsgate:
Redeems HD elsewhere

Universal:
VUDU: Redeems UHD
Universal Studios: Redeems UHD

Sony:
Sony Pictures Store: Redeems UHD
Redeems HD elsewhere

Fox:
Redeems HD everywhere

Paramount:
Redeems HD everywhere
Useful info we should have put in the OP.

Codes from 4K Blu-Ray discs should redeem as follow:

Warner Bros:
VUDU: Redeems UHD (only if available in their catalog)

Lionsgate:
Redeems HD elsewhere

Universal:
VUDU: Redeems UHD
Universal Studios: Redeems UHD

Sony:
Sony Pictures Store: Redeems UHD
Redeems HD elsewhere

Fox:
Redeems HD everywhere

Paramount:

Redeems HD everywhere

Useful info we should have put in the OP.
Except the LionsGate info is wrong, older titles are redeeming in UHD thru Flixster, but newer titles are not redeeming in UHD anywhere, so advised to hold on to code and wait for licensing to be approved thru Vudu.

nice, didnt know we have a uhd thread.

We got fast 6 and 7 pumping out next week. I'm a big fan of series so looking forward to see if how good the improvements will be.

Considering getting Hunger Games 1,2,3 for $34 or so. Do they come with UHD UV copies?

NO, not all of the Hunger Games digital copies redeem in UHD........ I believe the only one that redeems in UHD via Flixster is Catching Fire, the rest will redeem in HDX.

Bought my first 4k title. I only have a 4K pc monitor.
Suicide Squad.
The Best Buy ad said $14.99 but they had to override it.
Looks like they messed up in the ad.
Won't play Vudu 4K with my monitor. Oh well, I'll be ready when I get a 4K tv.

NO, not all of the Hunger Games digital copies redeem in UHD........ I believe the only one that redeems in UHD via Flixster is Catching Fire, the rest will redeem in HDX.
I sold the codes anyway so hope it worked out for them.

Bought my first 4k title. I only have a 4K pc monitor.
Suicide Squad.
The Best Buy ad said $14.99 but they had to override it.
Looks like they messed up in the ad.
Won't play Vudu 4K with my monitor. Oh well, I'll be ready when I get a 4K tv.
I bought Suicide Squad for $15 for in store pickup and went through at that price.

Bear in mind that Suicide Squad is one of the worst 4K transfers out there, so I'd recommend grabbing some other, better ones before you get your 4K TV. Bluray.com is a good place to look for reviews of the actual transfer quality of UHD movies.

Bear in mind that Suicide Squad is one of the worst 4K transfers out there, so I'd recommend grabbing some other, better ones before you get your 4K TV. Bluray.com is a good place to look for reviews of the actual transfer quality of UHD movies.
I was dissapointed when i read the uhd reviews but i liked the movie so much i didnt really care. i bought on or around day one.

I didnt like that the extended scenes was only included in the regular bluray, which i have yet to watch.

Apparently Fast and Furious 6 4k has audio issues,. If you're thinking about buying it you may want to hold off until Universal responds.

I have it.
I got it too. I have a samsung tv and it always flickers once like the input is momentarily lost from my sony receiver. Will have to play around to see what causes it. The 4k movies available from the promo are pretty meh for my tastes besides maybe magnificent 7. I got planet earth 2, the martian, and john wick so far. Only deadpool catches my eye at these prices as another to add to collection and not much in near future. Really hoping breaking bad gets a physical release.

Fast & Furious 6 and Furious 7 are on sale for 19.99 at Best Buy this week. They also each come with $8 towards a Fate of the Furious movie ticket.

Walmart has multipak 4K Blu-ray on sale this week...

Expendables 3 Pack - $22.96

Divergent 3 Pack - $22.96

Now You See Me 1 & 2 - $17.96

I also picked up a 3 Pack of Ender's Game, Gods of Egypt and The Last Witch Hunter in 4K for $22.96 - not a bad deal considering these average approximately $20 each. They do not have additional Blu-ray copies but do classify as Instawatch accessible.

The Martian Extended Edition 4K is below $14 at Amazon. It has been slowly dropping in price daily for a week.

wanted to mention the  the latest under world movie. 4k version they mess up the transfer and its darker then it should be. compare to the 1080p version or even the theaters version

I finally got a 4k TV and found out PS4 Pro doesn't do Blu-ray 4k playback. Any chance Sony does an update to support this?

Yeah, it's a real shame the Pro can't do UHD's. I'd love to unload by Xbox One S since I never game on it but it's the only way for me to watch 4K discs.

bread's done
Back