4K Blu-ray deals & discussion thread

anderson4145

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
A few people have mentioned that we should start a 4k thread. Hopefully if this is popular enough that a mod will make it permanent. To start off so far I've wathced Pineapple Express, Chappie, and Enders Game in 4k. I thought Pineapple and chapple looked great, they were crisp and the colors were fantastic. Enders looked better than the 1080p blu but wasn't as impressive. 

I know best buy is going to have $17.99 4k movies on black friday, I'm hoping for some $15 one though.

4k price tracker

http://www.blu-ray.com/deals/?retailerid=1&sortby=price&category=4kbluray

Last edited by a moderator:
Appears to be fake 4K per realorfake4k.com. Just means the image resolution isn't native 4K from the source, but would still likely look better than the standard 1080p blu-ray.

In fact, Real or Fake 4K lists this one as a viable demo disc for HDR and immersive audio despite the upscaling.

Was going to grab Pacific Rim but the shipping kind of kills it. I'm an elite plus member and I swear I haven't paid shipping for years at BB, but it's $3.99 for me with this order.

Edit: nvm, Amazon price matched.

Was going to grab Pacific Rim but the shipping kind of kills it. I'm an elite plus member and I swear I haven't paid shipping for years at BB, but it's $3.99 for me with this order.

Edit: nvm, Amazon price matched.
If you're elite you shouldn't pay shipping. Sometimes the system will glitch though

Pacific Rim is on sale at Best Buy, I've read on other sites people complaining that this title never goes on sale and it's always expensive.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/pacific-rim-includes-digital-copy-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-blu-ray-2013/5579812.p?skuId=5579812
Oh man $24.99 sale price, :shock: these 4k sale prices need to drop below $19.99. I've been scoring most of mine for about $15 with a bit of patience. Here is to hoping this drops to $15 in the next month!

My digital redeem for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 on Vudu just recently upgraded to UHD from buying the 4K/3D/2D steelbook copy from Best Buy, so that's pretty cool. Everyone should have UHD in their library now.

My digital redeem for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 on Vudu just recently upgraded to UHD from buying the 4K/3D/2D steelbook copy from Best Buy, so that's pretty cool. Everyone should have UHD in their library now.
I e-mailed them the day I bought it and they said they'd look into it. Then got a follow up e-mail that they upgraded it. I was pleased!

Not interested in Starship Troopers but that's a great sign to see that 4K movies are getting that low in price (and Fifth Element was recently just $13 on Amazon). I'm hoping to feast on good deals this holiday.

So I'm new to 4k BDs and of the two I've tested out, both appear to be 2.40:1 in aspect ratio so they display with letterboxing. My question is, are pretty much all 4k BDs like this? I feel like despite having 4k now, I lose so much of the screen in the name of 'lost information' it almost defeats the purpose of 4k in the first place. This is on an X1S BTW; debating the cardinal sin of cropping to fit the screen lol. Any advice?

My advice is to enjoy the films the way they were meant to be seen. There are a handful of UHDs that will completely fill a 16:9 screen, and some movies even switch to full screen during IMAX sequences. You can find a thread about it at the bluray.com forums.

Thanks for the info. I kind of wish I'd known this information before investing in a 4k player since I hate letterboxing with a passion. My assumption was that UHD, like HDTV's, widescreen would fill the screen because the TV was designed for it. Never realized that movies were actually filmed in an even wider aspect ratio still. :headache: Maybe it will grow on me but more likely I'll just stick to 1080p unless a movie is dirt cheap in 4k.

So I'm new to 4k BDs and of the two I've tested out, both appear to be 2.40:1 in aspect ratio so they display with letterboxing. My question is, are pretty much all 4k BDs like this? I feel like despite having 4k now, I lose so much of the screen in the name of 'lost information' it almost defeats the purpose of 4k in the first place. This is on an X1S BTW; debating the cardinal sin of cropping to fit the screen lol. Any advice?
That's not related to 4K tech, it's watching the movie as the director intended it. Each movie has a different aspect ratio. More of the kid-friendly movies are closer to 1:78

My assumption was that UHD, like HDTV's, widescreen would fill the screen because the TV was designed for it.
That actually isn't even correct for HD 1080p. Lots of 1080p stuff is 16:9, sure, and the same would be true for its UHD counterpart, but lots of 1080p stuff is also wider than 16:9. You can't avoid it, UHD or not.

I might be wrong but I think the closest you can get today to 2.35:1 without spending a ton of money is a Ultrawide (21:9 aspect ratio) monitor.

Letterboxing shows you the whole movie versus a chopped down picture, and it's not exclusive to 4K. 1080p Blurays do it, 480p DVDs do it, heck even some VHS movies did it. I can understand the "not wanting black bars on my TV" sentiment, but this has been a thing for a long time and is actually a positive.

Black bars are far superior to Pan&Scan, which was the worst implementation of 'please fill the screen but keep all important action on screen'.

Letterboxing shows you the whole movie versus a chopped down picture, and it's not exclusive to 4K. 1080p Blurays do it, 480p DVDs do it, heck even some VHS movies did it. I can understand the "not wanting black bars on my TV" sentiment, but this has been a thing for a long time and is actually a positive.
I understand the concept of movies being 'formatted to fit the screen' since fullscreen had always been cropped in that way. What I didn't realize was just how wide movies have been shot in for a long time now.

That actually isn't even correct for HD 1080p. Lots of 1080p stuff is 16:9, sure, and the same would be true for its UHD counterpart, but lots of 1080p stuff is also wider than 16:9. You can't avoid it, UHD or not.
Which was news to me, as I thought they were being presented in true widescreen seeing as we are now on 16:9.

I know videophiles love having everything fully on display, but ignorance is bliss to me lol. I can't explain it, maybe it's an OCD thing but whenever there's black bars on my movie; it drives me nuts. At any rate, it's disappointing but glad I learned what was up, thanks!

^----- Get a bigger TV or get a projector.

Black bars are far superior to Pan&Scan, which was the worst implementation of 'please fill the screen but keep all important action on screen'.
P&S was just a limitation on the shape that tv's were before, I found this article on old CRT's, I remember TV's from the 90's not being too big but I had to search to confirm this. WS would just be too unbearable, I'm sure there are still people out there that still use these.

The thing that'll really get you is when you realize there's part of a movie theater screen that doesn't get used for many films. If your theater has poor lighting setup it's noticeable. (can't remember the name of the term, slipping my mind and googlefu not working)

FYI they are price matching Target if you'd rather order from there and use your Red Card. Also, the prices should be the same in store at Target if you'd rather not wait for it to ship.

Also, John Wick 2 is $13.00 at Target.

Target has B2G1 for all movies next week, previously preorders have been included. Thor/Last Jedi/? for me.

Amazon has been so good about adding fairly new titles to their 3 for $50 deal that I’ll pass on the Target offer since I’m assuming it’s MSRP.

bread's done
Back