4K Blu-ray deals & discussion thread

anderson4145

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
A few people have mentioned that we should start a 4k thread. Hopefully if this is popular enough that a mod will make it permanent. To start off so far I've wathced Pineapple Express, Chappie, and Enders Game in 4k. I thought Pineapple and chapple looked great, they were crisp and the colors were fantastic. Enders looked better than the 1080p blu but wasn't as impressive. 

I know best buy is going to have $17.99 4k movies on black friday, I'm hoping for some $15 one though.

4k price tracker

http://www.blu-ray.com/deals/?retailerid=1&sortby=price&category=4kbluray

Last edited by a moderator:
I ordered Blade Runner 2049 and then PM'd the Dark Knight Trilogy from Walmart which is currently $54.99.

I got bought the 4K of Dunkirk at Target for $13. It's just the 4K BD with special features.  No BD or Digital copy.  I wish more movies would come like this. I don't need to pay extra for things I don't need.

I got bought the 4K of Dunkirk at Target for $13. It's just the 4K BD with special features. No BD or Digital copy. I wish more movies would come like this. I don't need to pay extra for things I don't need.
Mine came with BD and digital copy. Strange.

I went ahead and finally picked up "It" for $16.99.  Even though there is supposedly a director's cut coming, I'm tired of waiting and there has been no news since it was announced last December.

Mine came with BD and digital copy. Strange.
LOL!! I opened mine and sure enough, I also have the BD and digital code. It doesn't list it on the top front like I am used to seeing so I just figured it didn't include it. The bottom of the back lists the BD version as included but not the digital copy. I wonder why it's different.

I bought The Dark Knight Trilogy and Blade Runner 2049 too a couple of days ago and I was not WOW'd by them like I was expecting. Hopefully Dunkirk blows me away.

All 3 Planet of the Apes movies in 4k for $28.72

https://www.amazon.com/Planet-Apes-1-3-Trilogy-Blu-ray/dp/B071X9W9RP?tag=igndeals14-20&ascsubtag=a6faacaa-10c3-44b1-b7bc-40455150b57a

I was so disappointed that The Dark Knight was in multiple aspect ratios I haven't even watched it yet.
If I remember right, that's how it was filmed, wasn't it? Saw it in IMAX and I feel like it changed during the sections filmed with IMAX cameras.

If I remember right, that's how it was filmed, wasn't it? Saw it in IMAX and I feel like it changed during the sections filmed with IMAX cameras.
yeah, it was. I even saw it in IMAX but didn't remember. My set up at home is on a 2.40:1 screen but to see everything I'd have to mask it off on the sides for 16:9, which would be filled for IMAX scenes but then everything else would get black bars on the top and bottom... so 4 sides with black bars! Unacceptable! I wonder how it would look if I just left it unmasked so that the IMAX scenes would be missing the top and bottom (they would be projected outside of the screen). Any way I do this is going to be annoying...

Yeah, that would be annoying. I just have it on normal BR and don't think it does anything like that, but I guess it's technically cropped then.

Yeah, that would be annoying. I just have it on normal BR and don't think it does anything like that, but I guess it's technically cropped then.
Certain sections were shot in IMAX, such as the opening bank robbery, or the skyhook extraction scenes. Those will completely fill the screen with the image. The rest of the movie is letterboxed. There is no cropping: only adding of information. This same phenomenon occurred in theaters and previous Blu-Ray release.

So I remember when Blu-Ray was taking over for DVD there was a running list of films that were bad quality Blu-Rays since there were known issues with the upscaling/conversion process. Is that still a thing for 4K?

So I remember when Blu-Ray was taking over for DVD there was a running list of films that were bad quality Blu-Rays since there were known issues with the upscaling/conversion process. Is that still a thing for 4K?
4K increases the disc capacity, and the hardware (player and TV) allows for greater potential in colors, clarity, etc. The on-disc content, however, is up to the studio/encoders, which may or may not take full adventage of this. Therefore, quality issues will always be a concern. Blu-Ray.com's reviews do a good job of detailing what is good or bad about a particular release, including what is the fault of the source (and therefore will be an issue in any release).

I use ultrahd.highdefdigest.com for reviews. Realorfake4k is too arbitrary for me. If a film is upscaled 2k it can still look fantastic. The addition of HDR can greatly enrich an otherwise similar transfer.

I use ultrahd.highdefdigest.com for reviews. Realorfake4k is too arbitrary for me. If a film is upscaled 2k it can still look fantastic. The addition of HDR can greatly enrich an otherwise similar transfer.
I get that criticism of real or fake, but to me, I'd stick with an old, cheap BR disc versus a 4K rerelease that's just upscaled. I also can't justify the price difference in an upscaled new release, even though by all technical accounts the sound and video quality could still be better on the 4K disc.

Like the others, I use High-Def Digest. But don't go by the scores alone, actually read what they say about the video quality and changes from blu-ray. One example is Labyrinth (https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/33171/labyrinth30thanniversaryedition.html), which still earned a 3 1/2 star rating in video quality even though the film grain is almost overpowering. Also keep in mind in many movies the new HDR encoding may add a lot more to the video then just the resolution bump and wide color gamut alone. I just watched Jurassic park and thought it looked better than ever

Hi. With all the movies being released on 4K with dc, what if u already have the dc from the regular blu Ray set? Does the dc we already have now already upgraded to 4K or when buying a 4K blu Ray, the dc inside code will auto re-write what we already own from prior?

Hi. With all the movies being released on 4K with dc, what if u already have the dc from the regular blu Ray set? Does the dc we already have now already upgraded to 4K or when buying a 4K blu Ray, the dc inside code will auto re-write what we already own from prior?

I bought the 4K Dark Knight Trilogy set 2 months ago for $54.99.  Didn't even think about waiting for Prime Day but it's not that much cheaper so I'm fine with it. Walmart and VUDU were having $9.99 4K sales yesterday but they are pretty much sold out now.

Went ahead and picked up The 8 film Harry Potter 4k collection from Amazon Prime Day for $79.99, still on sale for 8 more hours

This forum is pretty dead but BB has both Blue Planet 2 and Planet Earth 2 4K for $28.99 and Blue Planet is a steelbook TODAY only.  I went ahead and got both.

Thanks for the heads up. Great price for Blue Planet II.
Glad you were able to take advantage. I like to support Target but that sexy steel cover is exclusive to BB so I ordered there. I had a $50 AMEX gift card but couldn't get both Planets because they are over $50 and you can't split payments online and I wanted to get my Swagbucks discount and the $2 discount for picking up in store so I got Blue Planet with Interstellar but that came out to $50.62 lol so I called them up and customer service was nice enough to charge me $48.48 so I could order with the gift card. I pick them up tomorrow. I then PM Planet Earth 2 at Target and it's getting shipped to me as no store close by had it in stock. I know Planet Earth 2 is on Netflix right now but it's not in HDR and I don't know how long it will be there and disc is usually superior to streaming anyway and at those prices, it was totally worth it.

Might be a price glitch but Ready Player One just got a massive price drop on both the steel and regular editions:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?st=ready+player+one+4k&_dyncharset=UTF-8&id=pcat17071&type=page&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=&sp=&qp=&list=n&af=true&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960&keys=keys

Edit: Looks like it indeed was an error. Can't even find the UHDs when I search for them right now. Seems that they are cleaning up their mess.
You wouldn't happen to have a screenshot of that, would you?

Matrix and Fury Road? I'm in. That's around what I expect to see for BF time, I know that's what Max was last year and I passed.

Edit: Matrix not available for shipping, guess they don't want money.
Those are the exact two I got! Haha.

Mine ended up backordered, but I'm in no rush.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

Disney bought most of 20th Century Fox's assets for billions of dollars. That means they should now own the rights to the original trilogy, which means when we see a 4K release of the original trilogy, it might be the original versions everyone has been wanting for years, but have yet to be released in HD (the non-anamorphic laser disc transfers off special edition dvds are the closest we have come yet - and those go for obscene amounts on Ebay).

Disney is becoming way too powerful.  They are like the Amazon of entertainment companies.

Get ready for jacked up prices on any popular FOX franchises.

bread's done
Back