- - - - -

2017 Thrift Store Thread -- Share Your Findings Here

#31 RoboSonic   Playing some Soul Reaver 2 CAGiversary!   268 Posts   Joined 4.0 Years Ago  

Posted 05 February 2017 - 02:01 AM

Didn't find much at my local Goodwill.

Got a DVD of The Pink Panther (the 1960's version with Peter Sellers in it) and a copy of Starsky and Hutch (PS2) along with some books. 

On a side note, I saw a PS1 for sale there.

For $40. Uh no thanks guys.

It had two controllers, some save cards and all of its cords. But they had it all taped up so you wouldn't be able to check it to make sure it was in working order.   :bomb: There's no way I'd ever get something like that without checking it first.

If there was something wrong with the main system itself, like the lid or one of the ports was screwed up, or if one of the controllers was missing a prong, I want to know before hand. Same goes with any of the cords.

I also saw a copy of WWE SmackDown! vs. Raw (PS2), but it wasn't in the best condition. I wanted to get it dang it. But oh well.

#32 The Questyen   Guess I'll just stumble on home to my cats CAGiversary!   2473 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

The Questyen

Posted 05 February 2017 - 04:14 AM

I've never heard someone use the term "save cards" before.

#33 juangrande386   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1222 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

juangrande386

Posted 05 February 2017 - 04:38 PM

Not a big Star Wars guy but these are pretty sweet! $75 apiece, boxes are a little beat up in spots and the Darth Vader one was missing the long plastic bag that goes over it in the box but other than that everything is complete and they work great. FYI for anyone who isnt aware, Force FX lightsabers are like $150+ retail.

20170203_2004251_zps6jmmlskq.jpg

20170203_2004331_zpsnkvvlt9o.jpg

#34 sp00ge   Hey guys, I'm a turd! CAGiversary!   11840 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 05 February 2017 - 09:40 PM

Not a big Star Wars guy but these are pretty sweet! $75 apiece, boxes are a little beat up in spots and the Darth Vader one was missing the long plastic bag that goes over it in the box but other than that everything is complete and they work great. FYI for anyone who isnt aware, Force FX lightsabers are like $150+ retail.

20170203_2004251_zps6jmmlskq.jpg

20170203_2004331_zpsnkvvlt9o.jpg

Nice!  I got a green Luke and a red Vader from a pawn shop a few years back for $20/ea.  Both were pretty beat up, the Luke has some bad lights in it (Can't figure out how to open the damn thing up.)  

#35 strawyleader997   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1035 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

strawyleader997

Posted 08 February 2017 - 07:38 PM

I saw a GC Super Mario Sunshine for $3 at goodwill today, but it had a lot of scratches and I didn't want to deal with having to polish it(which may not even get it working).

#36 sp00ge   Hey guys, I'm a turd! CAGiversary!   11840 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 09 February 2017 - 12:51 AM

I saw a GC Super Mario Sunshine for $3 at goodwill today, but it had a lot of scratches and I didn't want to deal with having to polish it(which may not even get it working).

Yeah, GC games are pretty bad if they're really scratched and I've had little lucky buffing them.  Smaller surface area and all that.

#37 slowdive21   CAG Elder CAGiversary!   12524 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

slowdive21

Posted 09 February 2017 - 01:51 AM

I would have picked it up anyway for $3, but I am in a highly competitive area. Someone would probably pay $15 for a non working copy if it were complete without cracks/chips.

#38 RyanH1229   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   104 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

Posted 11 February 2017 - 12:29 AM

Goodwill Outlet finds:

Total cost - under $2 for these items

15e7bb5.jpg

Dragons Quest and CTR are case only no games - bummer.

The Zelda's battery had leaked but the game actually still works . I might look into changing the battery and seeing if it can still save someday.

#39 RoboSonic   Playing some Soul Reaver 2 CAGiversary!   268 Posts   Joined 4.0 Years Ago  

Posted 11 February 2017 - 06:42 PM

Goodwill Outlet finds:

Total cost - under $2 for these items

15e7bb5.jpg

Dragons Quest and CTR are case only no games - bummer.

The Zelda's battery had leaked but the game actually still works . I might look into changing the battery and seeing if it can still save someday.

Dang. Sucks about Dragon Quest. I ran into that issue recently at my local store. They shouldn't even put those games out (if they had no games in them in the first place and hadn't been pilfered). Same goes with movies and cd's. It's frustrating.

Might take some pics if I'm able of any empty cases to share here for the lols. It's terrible.

#40 juangrande386   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1222 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

juangrande386

Posted 11 February 2017 - 07:45 PM

Is it wrong that I chuckled a little when I saw a picture in the newspaper of one of the local GWs getting torn down? I feel bad for any employees that might be out of a job of course but that store was notorious for putting decent Nintendo stuff on ShopGoodwill. Hopefully some of that stuff will show up at the handful of small thrifts in that town....and not at the other Greedwills in the area.

#41 RyanH1229   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   104 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

Posted 12 February 2017 - 12:47 AM

Dang. Sucks about Dragon Quest. I ran into that issue recently at my local store. They shouldn't even put those games out (if they had no games in them in the first place and hadn't been pilfered). Same goes with movies and cd's. It's frustrating.

Might take some pics if I'm able of any empty cases to share here for the lols. It's terrible.

The outlet is where they just dump everything that won't sell at the retail stores. I don't mind picking up the empties on the cheap (everything is 99 cents per pound) for extra cases and what not.

#42 postaboy   OLD SKOOL CAGER CAGiversary!   1887 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 14 February 2017 - 04:51 AM

Nothing that I want at goodwill today. However, I did see a badass stainless steel, full-sized Legend of Zelda Link's Hylian Shield for $15. Looks customize/home made and probably weighs about 10lbs or so. Hella cool though.

28c987a194.jpg

28c984e735.jpg

#43 Saix_XIII   Video Game Addict CAGiversary!   6650 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 14 February 2017 - 07:13 AM

Nothing that I want at goodwill today. However, I did see a badass stainless steel, full-sized Legend of Zelda Link's Hylian Shield for $15. Looks customize/home made and probably weighs about 10lbs or so. Hella cool though.

28c987a194.jpg

28c984e735.jpg

It says Made in China...so I doubt it was a homemade job unless they took something else and doctored it up but it is nice looking.

#44 RoboSonic   Playing some Soul Reaver 2 CAGiversary!   268 Posts   Joined 4.0 Years Ago  

Posted 14 February 2017 - 10:37 PM

The outlet is where they just dump everything that won't sell at the retail stores. I don't mind picking up the empties on the cheap (everything is 99 cents per pound) for extra cases and what not.

Ah I see. Well I guess that's one bright spot. Guess I'm just tired of stores screwing people over. Seen some Goodwill's try to sell empty boxes.

#45 Captain Wrong   ... CAGiversary!   657 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Captain Wrong

Posted 15 February 2017 - 04:18 PM

Ah I see. Well I guess that's one bright spot. Guess I'm just tired of stores screwing people over. Seen some Goodwill's try to sell empty boxes.

Also could be the boxes weren't empty when they were put on the shelf. If they leave anything in the case or box, chances are very good it's going to be stolen.

#46 RyanH1229   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   104 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

Posted 18 February 2017 - 12:09 AM

Goodwill Outlet finds:

2a62ltw.jpg

Def Jam Fight for NY is a little scratched up but I might go get it resurfaced at family video, I had no idea it had value when I bought it.

EDIT: Went back today. $3 trip

whxzwo.jpg

SMK has all inserts and they are mint. Box was smashed a bit but looks fine. Now just have to get the cart :) I still ask myself why these things end up at the outlet!

More: $2 total - Skylandersguide was 25 cents 15ot9n5.jpg

#47 postaboy   OLD SKOOL CAGER CAGiversary!   1887 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 19 February 2017 - 10:01 AM

No games but I did find a copy of Blade Runner 5-Disc Collector's Edition for $6. Pretty happy about it too because it's one of my favorite movies of all times. 

96ccac6dc8.jpg

#48 SilentBob50023   Kneel Before Zod CAGiversary!   835 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

SilentBob50023

Posted 19 February 2017 - 11:36 AM

Nice find!  This is a great set - have it myself.  I grew up with the "voice-over" version (saw it in theater and subsequent VHS release that got LOTS of repeat plays).  Nice to have access to all those different versions and workprints for such a cheap price.

No games but I did find a copy of Blade Runner 5-Disc Collector's Edition for $6. Pretty happy about it too because it's one of my favorite movies of all times. 

96ccac6dc8.jpg

#49 arsenalcrazy8   As Cheap As Wenger. CAGiversary!   2070 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

arsenalcrazy8

Posted 21 February 2017 - 11:36 PM

its been a busy past week for me:

A friend was selling his n64 lot for $70 that included:

- the console (with necessary wires)

- expansion pak

- 4 controllers

- 12 games (notables were Conker's BFD, Poke Stadium, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Rush 2049)

I gave him $80 because I felt bad; he just wanted to get rid of it though.

then the local thrifts were kind:

- complete ps2 slim in box 25.99 (also had what looked like 2 replacement AC adapters in the box as well??? they were still packaged as if from the factory...really strange.) Also came with Shadow of the Colossus, Gran Turismo 4, and Prince of Persia Warrior Within all complete

- CIB Wii console (extra wii mote and nunchuck inside as well) have no idea why I even got this but whatever

- ton of 360 games for 3 bucks a pop

-- Viva Pinata 

-- Watch Dogs 

-- Black ops 2

-- Fable 2 platinum edition (goty)

-- Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth II

-- Battlefield bad Company

-- Ace Combat 6

-- Blazing Angels

-- Beautiful Katamari 

-- Battlefield 4

-- NCAA football 14 

-- Lego Indiana Jones / Kung Fu panda (but Borderlands was in the case instead of Kung Fu Panda)

#50 Saix_XIII   Video Game Addict CAGiversary!   6650 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 22 February 2017 - 01:41 AM

- ton of 360 games for 3 bucks a pop

-- Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth II

Been after this game for years....but I gave up...

#51 juangrande386   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1222 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

juangrande386

Posted 22 February 2017 - 02:09 AM

RockBand Wii bundle-$25 @ Goodwill. Probably wouldve been cheaper had they not bundled it all together (assuming game, drums, guitar wouldve been $4 apiece separate). Oh well, everything is very clean and works great. Plus I got the wireless dongle which is $15+ by itself on Ebay and for once the drumsticks were included!

20170214_1827011_zps0v4m5rtr.jpg

Saw this sitting by the furniture stuff, walked around the store, then came back to it. For $10 it was coming home with me! Its a Vendstar 3000. I took it all apart and cleaned everything (there was melted gumballs clogging up one canister). Everything works great! Only downside is there are no locks for the top lid and back door but thats okay if its just sitting in the mancave. The damn candy actually cost more than the machine!

20170220_1636261_zpstplk0nlg.jpg

#52 Dashey10  

Posted 22 February 2017 - 02:48 AM

Not exactly a thrift store find but this guy needed some money to pay for bills and I went ahead and got these for $385

Yfj1UPW.jpg

TtW9yUq.jpg

JGhHr8L.jpg

nglxYeA.jpg

Opd5JvU.jpg

Parappa is shrinkwrapped and I'm planning on selling that but I'm not sure if I should open it or not.

#53 slowdive21   CAG Elder CAGiversary!   12524 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

slowdive21

Posted 22 February 2017 - 03:38 AM

Do not open parappa. Everything is worth more sealed. You can pick up a used copy much cheaper. I don't have my parappas listed right now, but the prices are still pretty high on amazon. Here are some of my sealed PS1 games. I wish I didn't sell my other FFVII (15 copies I bought for $5 each) and SOTN (9 copies I bought for $10 each) games, but oh well. I did get another sealed SOTN for free a year or two ago from a FB listing with a ps1 lot, so I can't complain.

b42b415a.jpg

#54 Dashey10  

Posted 22 February 2017 - 04:30 AM

Thr thing is, is that its not factory sealed. Just shrinkwrapped.  It doesn't have the white strip on the top. I want to sell it to get my money back so what condition would I list it in?

#55 postaboy   OLD SKOOL CAGER CAGiversary!   1887 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 22 February 2017 - 08:57 AM

Do not open parappa. Everything is worth more sealed. You can pick up a used copy much cheaper. I don't have my parappas listed right now, but the prices are still pretty high on amazon. Here are some of my sealed PS1 games. I wish I didn't sell my other FFVII (15 copies I bought for $5 each) and SOTN (9 copies I bought for $10 each) games, but oh well. I did get another sealed SOTN for free a year or two ago from a FB listing with a ps1 lot, so I can't complain.

b42b415a.jpg

WOW! I remembered I found a box of Sonic Adventure Dreamcast Games (all factory sealed. Half of them had cracked case) at Goodwill. There was 22 of them in total. I only bought 3 copies for $5.99 each, but now I wished I bought all of them.

#56 postaboy   OLD SKOOL CAGER CAGiversary!   1887 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 22 February 2017 - 09:03 AM

Found me several PS2 JRPG games today for $5.99 each. All complete. Discs are near perfect.

d53798275f.jpg

#57 slowdive21   CAG Elder CAGiversary!   12524 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

slowdive21

Posted 22 February 2017 - 02:16 PM

Thr thing is, is that its not factory sealed. Just shrinkwrapped.  It doesn't have the white strip on the top. I want to sell it to get my money back so what condition would I list it in?

I'm sorry, I misunderstood. I know there are people that would try to sell that as new, but I would sell it as used to avoid problems. There is a "scanner" guy around here that re-shrinks everything he sells. I'm not sure is amazon is still plagued with people listing opened items as new, but for years there would be at least 5 listings under the new section that said "new, opened" or something like that.

I think spooge reads this thread, he may have a better and more current opinion. :)

WOW! I remembered I found a box of Sonic Adventure Dreamcast Games (all factory sealed. Half of them had cracked case) at Goodwill. There was 22 of them in total. I only bought 3 copies for $5.99 each, but now I wished I bought all of them.

I had a moment like that too. Target had a coupon that was $5/$25 toys, but it also worked on video games. Instead of buying 11 copies of paper mario on GC, I bought 11 copies of GTA liberty city stories on ps2 as filler. DOH!

I was buying the Order 66 target exclusive star wars guys and I think $5 of every transaction I did a video game to keep it as close to $25 as possible. I think there were target exclusive HISS tanks at that time too that I was buying.

As far as those sealed ps1 games go. I was a SONY card holder way way back in the day. I thought the FFVII were an off listing, so I ordered one for 500 points and once it arrived, I cashed out the rest of my points!  The same thing happened with parappa and medevil, but they may have been 1000 points ($10) each.  The SOTN were from a grocery store that was closing. They had Ps1 games in a square blister pack with a green background. Normally you would see things like die hard trilogy and other greatest hits, but this store had SOTN. I think they were 10.19 or something like that on clearance.

EDIT: Great PS2 RPG finds!

#58 sp00ge   Hey guys, I'm a turd! CAGiversary!   11840 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 22 February 2017 - 09:41 PM

I'm sorry, I misunderstood. I know there are people that would try to sell that as new, but I would sell it as used to avoid problems. There is a "scanner" guy around here that re-shrinks everything he sells. I'm not sure is amazon is still plagued with people listing opened items as new, but for years there would be at least 5 listings under the new section that said "new, opened" or something like that.

I think spooge reads this thread, he may have a better and more current opinion. :)

I had a moment like that too. Target had a coupon that was $5/$25 toys, but it also worked on video games. Instead of buying 11 copies of paper mario on GC, I bought 11 copies of GTA liberty city stories on ps2 as filler. DOH!

I was buying the Order 66 target exclusive star wars guys and I think $5 of every transaction I did a video game to keep it as close to $25 as possible. I think there were target exclusive HISS tanks at that time too that I was buying.

As far as those sealed ps1 games go. I was a SONY card holder way way back in the day. I thought the FFVII were an off listing, so I ordered one for 500 points and once it arrived, I cashed out the rest of my points!  The same thing happened with parappa and medevil, but they may have been 1000 points ($10) each.  The SOTN were from a grocery store that was closing. They had Ps1 games in a square blister pack with a green background. Normally you would see things like die hard trilogy and other greatest hits, but this store had SOTN. I think they were 10.19 or something like that on clearance.

EDIT: Great PS2 RPG finds!

Ahem, those are zeros in my name, I'm not some sort of freak, ya know. ;)

But yeah, I'd tread carefully with that one.  If Parappa is clearly a reseal, then yes, I would just open it to verify that the disc is actually in there.  If you sell it sealed and it turns out to be empty (or the buyer claims it is), then the blame and responsibility falls on you, since you have no proof otherwise.

I really don't sell on Amazon anymore and actually went back to working full-time.  I have a few hundred listings (down from the thousands I used to have), and something usually sells every few days.  It just got to be too competitive, with other sellers driving prices down and local people becoming competition (along with Goodwill getting greedy and raising prices and cherry picking anything good for shopgoodwill)

#59 juangrande386   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1222 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

juangrande386

Posted 26 February 2017 - 03:08 AM

Not candy machine cool but $8 for a perfectly working wireless 360 guitar and a DualShock 2 that looks like it was never used is fine with me.

20170225_123200_zpstmccw2jv.jpg

#60 RoboSonic   Playing some Soul Reaver 2 CAGiversary!   268 Posts   Joined 4.0 Years Ago  

Posted 27 February 2017 - 10:35 PM

Not exactly a thrift store find but this guy needed some money to pay for bills and I went ahead and got these for $385

Spoiler

Parappa is shrinkwrapped and I'm planning on selling that but I'm not sure if I should open it or not.

Nice finds! :)

Found me several PS2 JRPG games today for $5.99 each. All complete. Discs are near perfect.

d53798275f.jpg

Nice! Good deal on Dark Cloud (if that's what it is).