11 (100%)
xboxonex.1497215133.jpg

Look at the box / interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8p_FmpWFwmU

Release info:

• $499
  • 11/7/17 release
  • Crackdown 3 released same day
    (delayed until Spring) (delayed until February 2019)
Other info:

Numbers/Guts:

• Eight custom x86 cores clocked at 2.3GHz
  • 40 customised compute units at 1172MHz
  • 12GB GDDR5 RAM
  • 326GB/s bandwidth
  • Supports FreeSync and HDMI 2.1 variable refresh rate
  • 1TB hard drive
  • 4K Blu-Ray Drive
  • Internal power supply (meaning no power brick)
Relevant videos from the 4/6/17 reveal:

Specs revealed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RE2hNrq1Zxs

Ways Scorpio will make older games better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DTmWDhSHC4

Is Scorpio more powerful than PS4 Pro? (answer: yes)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vDCUcGPTWg

TEXT ARTICLES:

Questions about the reveal answered in a way that we can more easily understand (READ THIS!!)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-04-06-project-scorpio-explained

Opinion (backed up with facts) piece written by the guy in the above videos:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-scorpio-is-console-hardware-pushed-to-a-new-level

RUMORS

*Name is "XBox One X" - CONFIRMED

*The box itself will actually be SMALLER than the XBox One S - CONFIRMED

*Hard drive will not be an SSD - however, the increased amount of RAM in the system should allow loading times to be faster - see the videos above.

Last edited by a moderator:
:rofl: They're either taking a massive loss or are vastly overestimating people's willingness to shell out a lot of money for a console...

:rofl: They're either taking a massive loss or are vastly overestimating people's willingness to shell out a lot of money for a console...
Honestly if this thing is pricey what reason would there be to get this over a pc? Especially when all their exclusives are on pc.

Honestly if this thing is pricey what reason would there be to get this over a pc? Especially when all their exclusives are on pc.
Exactly. The PS4 pro was only $100 more and it garnered about as much excitement as a wet fart.

At this point I just can't see how this is a good idea to get to market unless you're taking a heavy loss per unit which has its own problems.

This doesn't even scratch the surface of the potential problem for a split user base....

It's a sealed-box solution, you go to one vendor for support, you don't have to worry about OS updates, driver updates and the like.

For everyone who wants a console over a PC, you pull it out of the box, set it up and you're good. No OS to install, box to assemble and the like.

Pcs aren't exactly hard to set up anymore.

The main point is though the type of people who truly care about best specs like the scorpio is targeting are the same people who understand how pcs work anyways and would just go that route instead.

I think the Xbox Elite controller has shown there is a market for this kind of stuff.

I agree, that's it's entering the realm of PC redundancy. But people seem to think this is still going to have a price tag of either $399 or $499 which is totally manageable.  Anything more than that, then yeah, it's probably pointless. 

It's not the machine itself that concerns me.   I think the Scorpio seems very cool.  The problem is the idea that we are getting all these incremental upgrades in the middle of a console's life cycle.  It feels like it's never a good time to buy a home console because there's always something else coming up around the corner.  It is absolutely entering the realm of PCs with all of these incremental upgrades and the recurring costs associated with buying them.  This is exactly why many people don't buy gaming PCs.  They buy consoles to last them 6-9 years of new games during the full generation. 

I don't understand why it's happening so often when development cycles for new games have gotten to be so big that companies are having a tough time keeping up with AAA publishing anymore.  There's a diminishing returns when it comes to graphics.  To me, it feels like we're there already.  MS already has the problem of not enough studios developing games for them, and I don't see how the Scorpio changes any of that. 

Here's a good summary video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqvc8M6hpbI

You can look at their message with them announcing Game Pass. Not only are Xbox One games that are ported over to Scorpio looking and running exceptionally better but also BC Xbox 360 titles are getting the bump in CPU/GPU/Memory upgrade. Therefore doesn't it make sense people would want to get the Xbox Scorpio to have the first-rate optimized XBOX GAMING LIBRARY, we're talking about new and old both optimized to run the best they can, to experience? Old games getting the inclusion of improved texturing and newer games portraying true 4K resolution.

It's not the machine itself that concerns me. I think the Scorpio seems very cool. The problem is the idea that we are getting all these incremental upgrades in the middle of a console's life cycle. It feels like it's never a good time to buy a home console because there's always something else coming up around the corner. It is absolutely entering the realm of PCs with all of these incremental upgrades and the recurring costs associated with buying them. This is exactly why many people don't buy gaming PCs. They buy consoles to last them 6-9 years of new games during the full generation.

I don't understand why it's happening so often when development cycles for new games have gotten to be so big that companies are having a tough time keeping up with AAA publishing anymore. There's a diminishing returns when it comes to graphics. To me, it feels like we're there already. MS already has the problem of not enough studios developing games for them, and I don't see how the Scorpio changes any of that.
I don't believe we've seen this so called cycle you claim we're headed or we're experiencing. Sony bitch slapped Microsoft with the PS4 and Xbox One's initial direction. This is a swift-super-powerful-magic-Star-zooming-back-into-first-place Mario Kart scenario. It's technology, there will always be a better iteration of whatever you're buying. You can saw the same thing with a car.

Tbh what you say about making old games look better is the same thing a pc will do too. Along with free online and being able to upgrade.

This thing will sell. It will be the best selling console the month it launches because no matter what system you have the core that always wants to latest and greatest.

But the market they seem to be targeting with this are they people who would just get a pc anyways.

Bottom line is if graphics matter to you then scorpio is not the way to go. If they still had true exclusives that gives you a reason but now that is gone as well.

Still, it's good because it pushes the console industry forward. But what good is a bazooka (powerfull system) if you have no ammo (great games)

Bottom line is if graphics matter to you then scorpio is not the way to go. If they still had true exclusives that gives you a reason but now that is gone as well.
WTF are you talking about?! Ok, I know this is your opinion but you're perspective seems to be very misinformed.

Scorpio doesn't just have a beefy graphics performance but the CPU can run circles around stuff. There's a shit ton of memory for Xbox Scorpio games to take advantage of (native 4K gaming/HDR/Movies playback), more for Xbox One & 360 games - both will use the extra memory as cache to boost performance (this isn't just ohh it looks better). The system will either render the games for the customer's 1080P TV OR 4K TV. This is huuuuge, the ability to customize the graphical output and rendering process in accordance to what the gamer is using is a biiiiig plus. The system will be customized to its first party titles (per game basis too), which means Microsoft will pump all they can out of this game changing system for their first party titles, which is more than just Halo/Gears/Forza btw.

Since you want to go there, some of Microsoft's Exclusive Franchises:

Halo

Fable

Alan Wake

Crackdown

Forza Motorsport

Forza Horizon

Gears of War

Halo Wars

Zoo Tycoon

Dead Rising

Tomb Raider (was timed)

Dance Central Spotlight

Ori & the Blind Forest

Quantum Break

Ryse: Son of Rome

Sunset Overdrive

It's very true, a lot of those exclusive first party titles can be found on PC, the other Microsoft ecosystem, but you know what, a lot of people can't afford the PC market or prefer console gaming. They'd rather not have to deal with all the crap that goes with PC gaming either (viruses, updates for video/audio/motherboard/OS, running unnecessary background programs while trying to game, compatibility issues, etc), been there, done that (my netbook suits me just fine now and my Xbox One is my main gaming rig, accompanied by my 360 and Wii U).

However with that said exclusives are old hat now. It's a good thing because multiplatform has almost become a standard now with a lot of people gaming on all the different platforms - and shit, crossbuy is becoming a standard now too! Be it PC, mobile (I place the Switch there), Xbox, PS everybody can get in on the action with a Lego, FIFA - or with exceptions on certain platforms - GTA games. Then there's the online community, the support, the features and the place to game, Xbox Live. Xbox Scorpio games will look better, perform better and be the best OPTION of the game you can pick up. Then you'll have a Xbox One version which will be playable on the system you have now, without all the bells and whistles. It's like the highest you can go with-in the Xbox product line, this is the Premium system, akin like how we have the Elite controller out there alongside standard Xbox One controllers. This will sell.

Straight from Microsoft.
"All existing Xbox games (including Xbox One Backward Compatible titles) will run smoother, look better and load faster without requiring an update or any work from developers. All games running on Project Scorpio will achievemore consistent framerates, faster load times, improved anisotropic filtering, and will run at their peak resolution if the title implemented dynamic scaling. In addition, developers will also have the option to update existing titles to further take full advantage of Project Scorpio’s advanced capabilities including full 4K assets and 4K resolution."
http://kotaku.com/microsoft-reveals-xbox-scorpios-impressive-specs-1794069652

Oh, better performance and fidelity without an update, interesting.

Updated the OP with videos and text articles. I'll try to keep it reasonably current as we get closer to E3.

Based on what I saw, I was pretty impressed. I think the people guessing it's going to be $400 are insane, but I'd say $500 is likely. The fact that the chip is based on Jaguar and not a bleeding edge new model should hopefully allow them to keep the price reasonable. What they've actually done with the guts of that thing is unbelievable.

XBox definitely has the right approach with this...keeping everything back/forward compatible regardless of the version of the system coming out. If they keep the 360 BC stuff rolling for the next year or two, the library is going to be fucking insane.

I support this but am debating getting one at launch.

I bought-in on the day one 2013 Xbox One launch and that was a lot of money for what we got out of it (looking at you, Kinect).  This should be a better value proposition than that though, but a good sized 4K TV with real HDR is still quite a bit more expensive than this console will be, and I don't know if I can justify this "premium" purchase without the other.

If I have a lot of saved up Best Buy credit, I'll consider it.  Maybe this Black Friday will bring a good sale on HDR 4K too and I'll just do both at the same time this year.

This is the first major console reveal (sort of) that I don't care about.  Give me games or go home with your tail between your legs.  I'm a diehard Xbox guy, but Sony is kicking the sharts out of Xbox at every step this gen.  Focusing on specs as the big thing is a bad move, imo. 

That's the difference of marketing from Sony & Microsoft right. Sony shows you games that won't be out for years (Kingdom Hearts 3, Death Stranding). Microsoft shows you the guts of a powerful system and what is currently out now, the the info, chipset and screenshot from a tech demo.

They can't reveal Scorpio games yet, that's what E3 is for. The more than likely stuff, that we know they've been working on, would be Halo 6, Forza Motorsport 7, State of Decay 2, Sea of Thieves & Crackdown 3.

Don't act like Microsoft doesn't show off games that don't release for a long time. How long ago was Crackdown 3 state of decay cup head etc shown off? Look how long it took them to release quantum break etc after they were shown off.

Hell look what happened with scale bound phantom dust fable etc. Those were shown off long ago and and got canned.

Every publisher does that. It's not just a Sony thing.

That's the difference of marketing from Sony & Microsoft right. Sony shows you games that won't be out for years (Kingdom Hearts 3, Death Stranding). Microsoft shows you the guts of a powerful system and what is currently out now, the the info, chipset and screenshot from a tech demo.

They can't reveal Scorpio games yet, that's what E3 is for. The more than likely stuff, that we know they've been working on, would be Halo 6, Forza Motorsport 7, State of Decay 2, Sea of Thieves & Crackdown 3.
I get your point, but its not that exaggerated. Horizon wasn't thrown in our face for years and years. Uncharted 4 wasn't either and those two games alone blow the entirety of Xbox One's first party line up out of the water. I definitely agree that E3 is for the big game reveals, so maybe I just need to be patient.

But of those you mentioned, the only one I even remotely care about is Halo 6 and even that franchise is getting kind of 'meh'. Forza 7 would be big, though. I respect that franchise even though I don't play it.

This is the first major console reveal (sort of) that I don't care about. Give me games or go home with your tail between your legs. I'm a diehard Xbox guy, but Sony is kicking the sharts out of Xbox at every step this gen. Focusing on specs as the big thing is a bad move, imo.
It's the second one I don't really care about, the first being the PS4 pro...

There are zero Sony games that make me want a PS4. Everything I give a shit about is multiplatform. Only exclusive I care about is Halo...and Crackdown, when it's good like the first one and not trash like the second one. We'll see how that goes.

That said, may not buy at launch depending on price. If it's 500 or higher I'll wait for a deal. 450 or less and I'll probably jump on it.

I don't even see this (or PS4 Pro) as a standard new console launch. There are no exclusive games or features (other than eventual VR, which I don't care about) that the regular console won't have.

As someone who thought the Xbone was a mistake on so many fronts, I'll admit that those Scorpio specs are very impressive and not the fluff I though they were going to be. I really wanted a PS4K for HZD after seeing the display at BestBuy- it looks incredible and looked like I'd finally have something worthy for my 4K TV. But outside of HZD, I can't justify a PS4K at $400. But now, after seeing the Scorpio specs the PS4 Pro really looks bad. 

It's powerful enough to be a new console but still plays the same games. I'm wondering if this is where consoles are heading, to be more like PCs wherein they just become more powerful. 

I also wanna know what tech they're using on the processor (Jaguar or Zen) and the GPU (Polaris or Vega)? :whistle2:k I feel like the PS4K's biggest mistake was using the Jaguar tech, which seemed like a bottleneck even in the original PS4. 

Regardless of the price, Sony's in a tough spot right now but they do hold one advantage with a better library in terms of exclusives. 

As someone who thought the Xbone was a mistake on so many fronts, I'll admit that those Scorpio specs are very impressive and not the fluff I though they were going to be. I really wanted a PS4K for HZD after seeing the display at BestBuy- it looks incredible and looked like I'd finally have something worthy for my 4K TV. But outside of HZD, I can't justify a PS4K at $400. But now, after seeing the Scorpio specs the PS4 Pro really looks bad.

It's powerful enough to be a new console but still plays the same games. I'm wondering if this is where consoles are heading, to be more like PCs wherein they just become more powerful.

I also wanna know what tech they're using on the processor (Jaguar or Zen) and the GPU (Polaris or Vega)? :whistle2:k I feel like the PS4K's biggest mistake was using the Jaguar tech, which seemed like a bottleneck even in the original PS4.

Regardless of the price, Sony's in a tough spot right now but they do hold one advantage with a better library in terms of exclusives.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-project-scorpio-tech-revealed

From the article above, it seems that they're using a customized Jaguar CPU to keep full compatibility with the XB1, as well as an enhanced version of the original GPU, which is updated Polaris tech.

This is the first major console reveal (sort of) that I don't care about. Give me games or go home with your tail between your legs. I'm a diehard Xbox guy, but Sony is kicking the sharts out of Xbox at every step this gen. Focusing on specs as the big thing is a bad move, imo.
I guess it depends what kind of games you're into. Between the EA Access program (which Sony doesn't have) and the ever increasing backward compatibility list, I feel like Microsoft's offerings are very strong. Those may not be exclusive games per se...but moreso the manner in which you receive your games. I'd give Microsoft a definite edge in that category.

That said, I do wish we'd see a new Alan Wake...and for the love of God, a real baseball game on the One.

I guess it depends what kind of games you're into. Between the EA Access program (which Sony doesn't have) and the ever increasing backward compatibility list, I feel like Microsoft's offerings are very strong. Those may not be exclusive games per se...but moreso the manner in which you receive your games. I'd give Microsoft a definite edge in that category.

That said, I do wish we'd see a new Alan Wake...and for the love of God, a real baseball game on the One.
If you want to play old games (ea access,bc) go xbox. If you want new games and experience you go with Sony.

Good article and I do hope it will be priced at $400, but I doubt it given they have already made the distinction that this is going to be a premium console with a premium price. I think releasing the specs now is just a PR move to make the consumer understand what they are getting when the higher price is eventually unveiled at E3.

If you want to play old games (ea access,bc) go xbox. If you want new games and experience you go with Sony.
Right...old games. Because it's not like both systems haven't been littered with remakes and rereleases that nobody wants (Uncharted, Halo, Kingdom Hearts, Gears of War, God of War, Resident Evils, etc).

EA Access gives you all of EA's sports games 6 months after release. For most sports, the season is still going at that point. And when they're added, the physical release usually still has solid trade in value. For example, with Gamers Club, I paid $48 plus tax for NHL 17 in September. When it was added to EA Access a couple weeks ago, I traded the physical disc into GameStop for $30.25. That's a 6 month rental for about $20...while still retaining possession of the game. EA Access is an incredible value in that regard.

I mostly appreciate it from a PC gamer's perspective. At some point, I don't want to keep buying the same games over and over with each passing "generation". Games I buy on Steam don't stop working because I get a new video card. And if that's what Microsoft is working toward, they will have a huge advantage moving forward.

Good article and I do hope it will be priced at $400, but I doubt it given they have already made the distinction that this is going to be a premium console with a premium price. I think releasing the specs now is just a PR move to make the consumer understand what they are getting when the higher price is eventually unveiled at E3.
Mm, I think it's also to get the word officially out there before it leaked from the developers who would be using the dev kits. That and to build up hype for devs too, to get studios wanting to make games for the system or to play around with it to see what they can pull off (what kind of game do we want to make, that sort of thing).

Mm, I think it's also to get the word officially out there before it leaked from the developers who would be using the dev kits. That and to build up hype for devs too, to get studios wanting to make games for the system or to play around with it to see what they can pull off (what kind of game do we want to make, that sort of thing).
Could be but they already have a video from last year E3 where they have all the developers talking about the Scorpio specs and how they are excited for it.

Could be but they already have a video from last year E3 where they have all the developers talking about the Scorpio specs and how they are excited for it.
Now they're getting the physical hardware, the DF guy was able to check out, and keep, the chipset, that they've produced to run those numbers. Before they were just given numbers and most likely just beefy dev boxes that were high end PC towers to start working on their games. Sure a PR move but I think they want to get devs excited about their promise being delivered.

Remember the dev kits for Durango?

17vqapxhkk0gwjpg.jpg

"Extra reading"

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/03/02/unlocked-285-phil-spencer-joins-us-talks-scorpio

If you care about neat performance improvements for a very narrow section of consumers (ie those that have screens that support FreeSync)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t18QbBdPK-8

Narrow section of consumers, though it's trying to help future-proof when it's not a narrow section of customers.

PS3 and the BD drive, another example of that. 

Every week that goes by Sony is gaining more and more traction because of all the good exclusives that have come out in during the last several months.   The Switch is selling like gangbusters and will continue to do so with Mariokart coming out on Friday and a few other exclusives coming out later in the year.  Scorpio already seems like yesterday's news that's not coming out until Christmas.  I don't see MS doing anything new and innovative to separate themselves from its competitors.   With every new console announcement it just seems like it's a better idea to buy a PC.  I really don't know what MS is going to do at this point.  Most people are going to go "oh hey, the Scorpio is pretty cool" but then not buy one. 

It's very common that not a lot happens before E3 - although Voodoo Vince just came out aside from them mentioning Game Pass is also in the works (available to Xbox Insider Members atm). Microsoft wants to get ahead of leaks, considering that's always the biggest weakness that Microsoft has to worry about, and get people buzzing about their mid-gen refresh console so not surprising they're not going to show games running on it. Hell, the beginning of this gen cycle nobody knew what the damn console from Sony & Microsoft would look like as that was a tight lipped secret. Eh, everybody's waiting for E3, that's where they're planning to have the big whabam presentation.

"I don't see MS doing anything new and innovative to separate themselves from its competitors"

Yeah, they've built onto the chip itself to optimize graphical horsepower, processor and memory usage and then will optimize first party games with software optimization as well - all with a goal of reaching 4K 60 fps (which has been done with a simple Forza 6 port). You get 4, not 2, free games with GwG. You can also play your old Xbox 360 games on your newer Xbox One console via Backwards Compatibility free. With Game Pass you'll be able to not stream, but download any game that's in that particular collection for a subscription service ...but that's nothing new.

A lot of people dont know or care about 4k is the problem and the people that do will be on PC anyways.

And playing old games? Thats cool and all but when will they make NEW games?

The Switch is selling like gangbusters and will continue to do so with Mariokart coming out on Friday and a few other exclusives coming out later in the year.
You're putting a lot of confidence in a company that always seems to "start strong" and then wind up with a console that no one gives a shit about 18 months later.

Don't forget Microsoft Press Conference is at 3pm mountain time today. I'm excited to see more about Bioware Anthem. Also the Xbox Scorpio is mostly likely going to be priced at $499 according to Geoff Keighly.

bread's done
Back