New Nintendo 2DS XL, $150, July 28 2017 in NA

Oh god dear ugly. Nintendo come on even for a fake toy version of a handheld gaming system that looks poorly and cheaply made.

150 is way too much

Bad deal compared to $99 New 3DS, but this is good for Nintendo, because they are now in a position to sell handheld hardware in both the handheld and console slots in their lineup.

I had to check the calendar just to make sure it's not april fools...  :rofl:

vkirgyK.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed, I just got the new 3ds non xl at black Friday for 99. 50 more for a bigger screen (not higher resolution, though) and lose the 3d? Seems like a bad deal.

If there's an exclusive, bundle or markdown (or a combination of the two or all) around Black Friday, I'll get one.

Would be a good buy if there were any GOOD games besides fire emblem and radiant historia remake coming out for it this year. I think core 3ds (2ds) games have stopped being developed for the system and this is probably the last hardware refresh before they move on to the next new handheld. Kind of mixed on the system colors, as for its new design, pretty damn cool looking.

So this is why they stopped manufacturing the NES Classic! Need that infrastructure to make us some 2DS' instead!  Good god, Nintendo.

Wish I waited for this instead of, for some reason, getting a N3DSXL I think I bought two or three xenoblades and didn't even put it in the system

Bad deal compared to $99 New 3DS, but this is good for Nintendo, because they are now in a position to sell handheld hardware in both the handheld and console slots in their lineup.
Considering that was a limited edition with a limited edition price, this is still a great deal. You should compare it to currently readily available 3DS's and not a limited edition item.

Not to be "that guy" (pun intended) but your meme should say "You can't wait in line for a NES Classic, if they're no longer in production" or something like that. The picture is the issue, not your statement.

If there's an exclusive, bundle or markdown (or a combination of the two or all) around Black Friday, I'll get one.
Apparently there is a new (side scrolling) Pikmin game coming out so there's that.

Considering that was a limited edition with a limited edition price, this is still a great deal. You should compare it to currently readily available 3DS's and not a limited edition item.
A deal is a deal IMO. You might still have a chance at a New 3DS even now, but you better be quick: http://www.nowinstock.net/videogaming/consoles/nintendo/3ds/ (not you specifically, but anyone in general). If Nintendo phases out the 3DS everything will make sense. Consumer 3D is dying in all formats, and the screens contribute a major part of the cost. With a $150 2DS and the Switch at $300, Nintendo becomes very lean and profitable in the hardware department.

I mean the colors look cool and all, but why? Aren't 3DS games confirmed to basically be slowing down/ending by this time next year? Theres hardly even any confirmed releases left

A deal is a deal IMO. You might still have a chance at a New 3DS even now, but you better be quick: http://www.nowinstock.net/videogaming/consoles/nintendo/3ds/ (not you specifically, but anyone in general). If Nintendo phases out the 3DS everything will make sense. Consumer 3D is dying in all formats, and the screens contribute a major part of the cost. With a $150 2DS and the Switch at $300, Nintendo becomes very lean and profitable in the hardware department.
Those stores that still have it are left overs from Black Friday that either didn't make it to the sales floor or did not sell at the store and put into the stock room as it technically doesn't have a floor location any other day of the year.

But yes, if you can find it, buy it. I agree though, this is a power house move for them to offer a $150 2DS XL, $200 3DS XL and $300 Switch all three (not 2DS XL obviously) are selling very well.

I mean the colors look cool and all, but why? Aren't 3DS games confirmed to basically be slowing down/ending by this time next year? Theres hardly even any confirmed releases left
Probably but until they announce a new console, it doesn't look like they are stopping 3DS activities.

Here are some games coming out this year for the 3DS.

• Cooking Mama: Sweet Shop
  • Fire Emblem Echoes: SoV
  • Monster Hunter Stories
  • Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and The Millionaire’s Conspiracy
  • Hey! Pikmin
  • Picross e7
  • Kirby's Blowout Blast
  • Miitopia
  • Yokai Watch 2
And these are games before E3 where they'll announce more.

Good god, I know I wasn't the only one hoping Nintendo would consolidate the handheld and console lines. A refresh like this makes me think it won't be done until 2019 with a clamshell switch, if ever! I'm gonna have to change my profile pic after this and the NES classic BS. Do people not want a better handheld? I mean, this came out in 2011. The DS came out in 2004 with the GBA still on the market. The DS sold a ton more units, and still it looks like Nintendo is trying to ride this underpowered gimmick 3DS train until EVERYONE laughs at them, not only the PC and console crowd.

It's as if they are afraid to put all their eggs into the Switch basket, which makes me afraid to put my eggs into ANY of their baskets.

Sucks they never made a pocket size, portable 3DS or even 2DS. I never take my XL anywhere because it's such an annoying thing to lug around, and the battery doesn't last all that long for its size, so then you gotta take its huge charger or dock.

A 2DS Micro with USB-C charging, I'd pay whatever they asked for it. Great collection of games, bad systems.

Compared to the $80 2DS it seems like a bad buy.
I somewhat agree. Though it is bigger (so more material), has extra parts due to the new hinge, and unlike the 2DS it includes the NFC feature, z trigger, second analog stick and is more powerful (so it can play all previous New 3DS exclusive games).

Still a bit high at $150 but I think its a decent deal compared to the New 3DS XL which has the same features apart from 3D but cost $200. Think this should be $119.99 instead though.

Interesting -- I get the business decision behind this but I do hope Nintendo carefully allocates its resources here so as to make sure its 3/2DS development doesn't hamper the Switch.  

Remember one of the BIG positives about the Switch was that its release schedule wouldn't suffer from so many deserts because Nintendo would consolidate its development houses for one console.  This new 2DS, however, along with continued new release announcements - and probably more incoming at E3, means Nintendo will continue to invest resources to developing on it.  

Hopefully, this move doesn't critically harm the Switch.  

Again, while the business decision makes sense, we should also be mindful that keeping the 3/2DS alive may mean 3rd parties that planned to move to the Switch might instead stay on the older handheld for the same reasons as Nintendo is keeping it going - it has a 65+ million user base compared to Switch's 2.7 million.

It's becoming slowly apparent to the more general public that the Switch is never going to get the AAA 3rd party games (we already knew this since  the hardware isn't strong enough), but if the best Switch is going to get outside Nintendo is Payday 2 and (may be) the 5-6 yr. old Skyrim, there is no guarantee the Switch may not be headed to a fate not dissimilar from the Wii U.

Both the Wii and Wii U actually sold more than the Switch (as IGN reports here) over a 1.5 month period.  Now the other two came out over the holiday period, so that 1.5 month comparison isn't perfectly analogous.  What this does mean though is - as IGN correctly notes - the Switch's great start doesn't tell us all that much ... at least not yet. 

I want the Switch to do well ... I sure hope Nintendo's need to keep the 3/2DS line-up going -- which again makes business sense -- doesn't come at the detriment of the Switch's future looking more like the Wii vs. the Wii U.

Anyone else disappointed it didn't keep the original 2ds slate form factor? Been waiting for a "new" 2ds like that. Original 2ds is the best handheld since the original GBA. Screw this clamshell nonsense.

NeoMonk posted a link showing it's available to preorder, so this isn't just a news announcement. With Nintendo, stuff isn't always readily available at launch, so it's not that crazy to post a new item available at MSRP.

Will there be a shortage of this handheld specifically? Probably not. I'm hoping these don't sell and drop to $120, or better yet $100, by Black Friday. I might just buy this failure of concept for collection purposes if it were available for $100.

:/ parents can find the best heroine seller in the city like nothing but they can't figure out how to just turn off 3d so their 4 year old doesn't go blind?

So now were postings news as fucking deals now?

Put this shit in the Nintendo discussion area where it belongs.
Look, I just wanted to let the main video game section of CAG know. New consoles typically get new threads for preorders and this functions as that.

Nintendo really should focus everything on the switch. Sad seeing them like this from SNES to cube the sales dropped like a rock then lighting in a bottle Wii happened and finally the dark age last gen (this gen?). They make fun games just not enough. It went Zelda in march which most have beat to.......Mario in November? Or I guess splatoon 2 in July.

Small rant apologies.

I somewhat agree. Though it is bigger (so more material), has extra parts due to the new hinge, and unlike the 2DS it includes the NFC feature, z trigger, second analog stick and is more powerful (so it can play all previous New 3DS exclusive games).

Still a bit high at $150 but I think its a decent deal compared to the New 3DS XL which has the same features apart from 3D but cost $200. Think this should be $119.99 instead though.
Agreed. N3DS XL was $50 more expensive than the standard unit so there's no reason this shouldn't be the same ($130 max).

I might get this when I have extra money.  Would have preferred the old 2DS design without the clam shell design more or at least make it compatible with the removable faceplates of the New 3DS.

They are the last dedicated handheld left standing, so it makes sense to keep a cheaper alternative to The Switch around to capture that exclusive market share. Ninny is operating on all cylinders. Those tricky bastards.

bread's done
Back