* * * * - 22 votes

SNES Classic Discussion Thread

SNES Classic Super Nintendo

#2941 Fun Handsome Goose   Rappenin' is what's happenin' CAG in Training   26 Posts   Joined 3.0 Years Ago  

Fun Handsome Goose

Posted 13 July 2017 - 02:40 PM

Because for a manufacturer this long in the business, there's absolutely no excuse for not meeting demand. Granted, they tend to use proprietary parts so it's entirely possible their system designs create a shortage of parts leading to supply issues. Honestly though, they prefer to have 100% sell-through of inventory so they limit production not only as a cost savings on assembly lines, but it looks great in a sales meeting. Who wants to be the person explaining cratering sales figures to shareholders?

WiiU remembers.

If you don't know the demand how are you supposed to determine the supply? Saying that it is purposefully done is silly. They said themselves demand for the NES Classic took them by surprise.

#2942 Ibacai  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 02:42 PM

If you don't know the demand how are you supposed to determine the supply? Saying that it is purposefully done is silly. They said themselves demand for the NES Classic took them by surprise.

Because they don't meet demand on a single one of their high profile items. That's telling right there.

#2943 ritchardf  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 02:43 PM

just like the amiibos right? every single time a new one came out, oh we had no idea it was going to be popular!

#2944 A Dusty Bookcase   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   449 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

A Dusty Bookcase

Posted 13 July 2017 - 02:57 PM

Anything branded Nintendo will sell well honestly. I don't understand why Nintendo doesn't start making food, home cookwares, non gaming electronics, furniture, etc. They'd give other major companies a run for their money.

#2945 donny2112   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   773 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

donny2112

Posted 13 July 2017 - 02:58 PM

Amiibo were not megahits when they came out.  It wasn't until the discontinuation announcement for the first three that suddenly it was hard to find.  I preordered Marth before launch with zero issue, for example.  Preordering Lucina the next Spring?  Herculean efforts were required.  That was also the time of the shipping workers strike on the West Coast, which screwed up supply all over the place.  Even just this year, the BotW amiibo were preorderable for a really long time prior to launch.  It wasn't until after launch when suddenly everyone wanted them for BotW that they became so much harder to get.

Nintendo is not going to flood the market.  They're very conservative in their estimates.  Sometimes that leads to not overproducing floundering items.  Other times that leads to way underproducing popular items.  They're not going to suddenly stop being conservative in their estimates after 30 years in the home console business, though.

#2946 Fun Handsome Goose   Rappenin' is what's happenin' CAG in Training   26 Posts   Joined 3.0 Years Ago  

Fun Handsome Goose

Posted 13 July 2017 - 02:58 PM

You guys make good points. I would say it's incompetence over intent but it doesn't matter.

#2947 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7527 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 13 July 2017 - 03:12 PM

You guys make good points. I would say it's incompetence over intent but it doesn't matter.

I would personally say the same!

#2948 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   23382 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 03:45 PM

I've linked this before but Dunkey put it best when describing Nintendo: 

https://youtu.be/7o8...A66K9A?t=6m17s 

#2949 soonersfan60   Longing for retro CAG... CAGiversary!   4441 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

soonersfan60

Posted 13 July 2017 - 03:46 PM

When you see amiibo on clearance for $5, the only real solution is to take pre-orders online at Nintendo's website and then make them. Of course people still will miss out and not be happy.

#2950 EvilChamp   Super Nintendo CAGiversary!   2304 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

EvilChamp

Posted 13 July 2017 - 04:19 PM

I ONLY WANT TO READ UPDATES STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER THINGS MEOW!

#2951 trip1eX   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1599 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 04:20 PM

They definitely aren't going to flood the market if they can help it and yet even with this mentality they don't get it right all the time because they never know demand.  Look at all the AC Amiibo on shelves.  They can't give those away.  

If they knew the Wii U was only going to sell 13 million they would have never made it.  

But they don't have a crystal ball. 

Even if something seems hot to begin with they don't know where that demand ends.  Sht is popular until one day  it isn't and suddenly shelves are full of yesterday's must-have product.

And if you look at the T2L figures you'll see that 2 of the players have dropped out now.  And much of that is related to oversupply.  

With the NES Classic, Nintendo admitted it was a limited time item.  I think it was there to fill the hole left behind by the Wii U.  It was there to spur and expand interest in their IP and in the brand and reach a different customer.

#2952 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7527 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 13 July 2017 - 04:24 PM

I've linked this before but Dunkey put it best when describing Nintendo: 

https://youtu.be/7o8...A66K9A?t=6m17s 

Yeah, when I first saw that video, his description of them making games was my favorite segment(and how poor they run the business). Sadly, outside of 3D Mario, and Zelda, I personally find even their game design is way down compared to what it has been in the past.

We no longer see really creative games like Warioware & Elitebeat Agents, and games that they should be able to make blind folded like Star Fox, turns out to be complete garbage, and most other games are hit and miss.

So I do understand his point in the video, and the games like BotW and Odyssey are the reasons I still hang around, but my overall 1st party purchases have been getting less and less each new gen for awhile now.

#2953 donny2112   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   773 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

donny2112

Posted 13 July 2017 - 04:49 PM

If you liked EBA, importing Ouendan 2 is really a good idea.  DS game, so region-locking wasn't a thing, yet.  If you know the gameplay of EBA, then the language barrier won't overly hamper you to understand what's going on.  Songs are obviously in Japanese (except for one), but if the gameplay is what you crave, Ouendan 2 is a great purchase!

#2954 sevast   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   400 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 05:04 PM

There have been a number of times that Nintendo overproduced. They took a pretty big hit on the Wii U. They're not the rich company they were in the Wii era and my guess is that they just can't afford to ramp things up till they knew demand was still there. 

#2955 Khach86  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 05:10 PM

There have been a number of times that Nintendo overproduced. They took a pretty big hit on the Wii U. They're not the rich company they were in the Wii era and my guess is that they just can't afford to ramp things up till they knew demand was still there. 

Nintendo has billions and billions in the bank dude, they're gonna be fine.  They just reduce supply to create chaos and free advertising. 

Because of the lack of supply on the snes classic, I've been hitting up this thread and this website more in general.  All of a sudden, all the talk of the NES classic makes me want one now.  I subscribed to a twitter account that tweets about deals, all of a sudden I'm seeing deals for the switch and other Nintendo games.  It's all a marketing ploy that Nintendo has been doing for ages

#2956 the_vahngo  

the_vahngo

Posted 13 July 2017 - 05:10 PM

snes1.jpg

#2957 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   9028 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 05:17 PM

Nintendo doesn't run a business poorly just because you don't get what you want.  In fact those two things have nothing to do with each other.  

I get so tired reading the same comments over and over about Nintendo's "terrible business".  If all these dumb-dumbs thought Nintendo was terrible they wouldn't be buying their stuff, or spending time in Nintendo threads discussing Nintendo products.  It's nothing more than adult men throwing tantrums. 

#2958 DarthPwner  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 05:31 PM

I am glad I was able to nab a UK Amazon preorder. I am a little bummed that I wasn't able to grab an NES classic. I still don't have one and can't find one, but I will prob buy a US SNES to trade for one. Whoever came up with that made me happy, so kudos to you!

Would be nice if they did take preorders here, but I am sure I will get a message about it going for sale at some retailer. I did with the NES classic, but was strapped for cash when I got those messages, so no one is to blame but myself.

My UK preorder hasn't been cancelled yet, but I got my preorder in during the first wave. Did anyone's preorder from the first wave get cancelled?

#2959 elessar123  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 05:33 PM

Anything branded Nintendo will sell well honestly.

Tell that to Tom Nook.

#2960 croqoa   Turd Sandwich CAGiversary!   228 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 05:37 PM

Not sure if you've ever heard of something called a pre-order but that's a pretty good way to determine demand that is utilized by roughly 100% of all other companies in the industry.  If Nintendo had opened up pre-orders and used that as the basis for their supply and then been taken by surprise at least they would have an excuse.

#2961 TsuyoiMomonga  

TsuyoiMomonga

Posted 13 July 2017 - 05:39 PM

No luck with the NES Classic today. After hearing some of you got them the past couple days at TRU, I called my local store. He checked the system using the "R" Web Number and said there were 2 in Alpharetta, GA, 1 in Rome, GA, and 3 in Knoxville, TN.

I called all 3 stores, stayed on hold while they checked the back, and all three said they didn't have any and that it must've been an inventory issue. If that's true, there are no NES Classics in Georgia or Tennessee. :(

#2962 portnoyd   Amiiboversary! CAGiversary!   767 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

portnoyd

Posted 13 July 2017 - 05:47 PM

I'm going to troll post and ambiguously say I got a snes mini preorder but not right now. I'll wait a couple hundred posts in this thread to see if anyone remembers me saying this before I do it.

#2963 trip1eX   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1599 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 06:11 PM

Not sure if you've ever heard of something called a pre-order but that's a pretty good way to determine demand that is utilized by roughly 100% of all other companies in the industry.  If Nintendo had opened up pre-orders and used that as the basis for their supply and then been taken by surprise at least they would have an excuse.

Nintendo does pre-orders.  The NES Classic was the exception.  

Pre-orders didn't help predict demand of the Wii U.  It sold quite well at launch and then tailed off completely shortly thereafter.  Internets even talked about scalpers returning unsold Wii Us to retailers in the months that followed.

Pre-orders didn't keep Disney Infinity from over-producing figures.  

And when you talk about pre-orders the list of companies making the type of product that the NES Classic is pretty short.  There's Nintendo and ... who else?  

Sega?  They released a mini-Genesis last year.  Anyone talk about that?  You can buy it any day of the week for $45.  Does anyone care?  

#2964 Jodou   Infamous CAGiversary!   14865 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 06:24 PM

Nintendo doesn't run a business poorly just because you don't get what you want.  In fact those two things have nothing to do with each other.

We're not asking for the moon, just to be treated fairly as paying customers. I have no interest in Nintendo today, but the Nintendo of yesterday was awesome and for most of us these collectibles are invaluable. This is where the issue is because Nintendo is very much an old school Japanese company where collectibles are expected to be rare. Western culture expects to be able to purchase collectibles without a hassle and that's where the disconnect is. Their refusal to accommodate the West comes off as rude when they're sticking to their roots.

Then again, they are just old men.

#2965 bojay1997   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6453 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 06:34 PM

Not sure if you understand this, but preorders don't actually work the way you think they do.  Even with the innovations in Chinese electronic manufacturing in the past 20 years, the supply chain for consumer electronics is long and complex.  Nintendo likely had to place their orders for the SNES Classic nine months or more before release.  As such, all preorders really do for something like this is suck up supply that otherwise would be available to retail walk-in customers.  Preorders are not a valid means of gauging the appropriate manufacturing quantity as using them for such purposes would require such preorders to occur almost a year in advance and also require that the customers actually pay for them in full to avoid cancellations.    

#2966 Kaiser499   Gaming Guru CAGiversary!   4129 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 07:15 PM

Sega?  They released a mini-Genesis last year.  Anyone talk about that?  You can buy it any day of the week for $45.  Does anyone care?  

Sega doesn't actually make those which is why they suck, they just license the stuff out.

#2967 ghost1914  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 07:24 PM

Oooo I see all the internet business and finance men have come out to play.

#2968 NeloDiavolo   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   429 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

NeloDiavolo

Posted 13 July 2017 - 07:27 PM

Sega doesn't actually make those which is why they suck, they just license the stuff out.

AtGames is releasing a premium version of the mini Genesis later this year. It still might suck but the specs are beyond what they have released thus far.

https://www.polygon....console-premium

#2969 6er   Hoping "The Wall" has Gold doors CAGiversary!   2801 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 07:34 PM

Oooo I see all the internet business and finance men have come out to play.

Yeah, let's get back on track guys.

More opinions on Dr. Phil!

#2970 reaperztoll   Banned Banned   3366 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

reaperztoll

Posted 13 July 2017 - 07:35 PM

AtGames is releasing a premium version of the mini Genesis later this year. It still might suck but the specs are beyond what they have released thus far.

https://www.polygon....console-premium

Those infared controllers they have been using suck donkey scrote so if the new ones are an improvement I may finally pony up for one.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: SNES, Classic, Super Nintendo