SNES Classic Discussion Thread

Remember folks, the NES Classic *was* available for pre-order, it's just that many of us (me included) thought $59.99 was a bit too much, so I was waiting for a price reduction after the holidays.  Once released, it was immediately a top item and extremely hard to get.  But it *was* available for pre-order... 

Now given the rarity and value that Nintendo has established through limited availability, I'm not foolish enough to believe the pre-orders this time around will last more than 5 minutes.

Oh man, so many of my favorite games. Ff3, smw, eb, z3. But since all yall are going to be reselling this for ridiculous prices ill play on my phone. At least i finally got a switch recently.

A few things in favor of this being less of a shitshow than the NES Classic:

- Nintendo is slow to learn and adapt, but they MUST see now that there's a demand for this and increase production. ...right? RIGHT?

- Hopefully fewer games + higher price point makes this more profitable for Nintendo than the NES C. With the thin margins (including 3rd party licenses) on that device, I'm sure it wasn't worth it for them to keep making them. Especially considering:

- The Nintendo Online service is only confirmed to have NES games in its library. I'm sure that was a factor in killing the NES C early. The SNES C can comfortably exist alongside the online service, as it won't directly compete.

- Original rumors said that Nintendo killed the NES Classic to focus on the SNES Classic so in theory they've been in production for some time.

ALL THAT SAID, because everyone will expect this to be super limited, no matter how well the SNES Classic ends up being stocked it will be impossible to get for a while because scalpers will buy them all. I expect a big reason Nintendo is releasing this in September is so that the supply chain has a chance to even out before holiday shopping season. We'll see if that plan works for them.

QuPfIm1.jpg

I would Photoshop the new box but don't have the time.
Already happening

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/879380025224515584

An Ebay listing is not news, nor is it interesting. When will people get over that?  I could make a listing for pocket lint for a thousand dollars in one minute.  WHO CARES!

Last edited by a moderator:
A few things in favor of this being less of a shitshow than the NES Classic:

- Nintendo is slow to learn and adapt, but they MUST see now that there's a demand for this and increase production. ...right? RIGHT?

- Hopefully fewer games + higher price point makes this more profitable for Nintendo than the NES C. With the thin margins (including 3rd party licenses) on that device, I'm sure it wasn't worth it for them to keep making them. Especially considering:

- The Nintendo Online service is only confirmed to have NES games in its library. I'm sure that was a factor in killing the NES C early. The SNES C can comfortably exist alongside the online service, as it won't directly compete.

- Original rumors said that Nintendo killed the NES Classic to focus on the SNES Classic so in theory they've been in production for some time.

ALL THAT SAID, because everyone will expect this to be super limited, no matter how well the SNES Classic ends up being stocked it will be impossible to get for a while because scalpers will buy them all. I expect a big reason Nintendo is releasing this in September is so that the supply chain has a chance to even out before holiday shopping season. We'll see if that plan works for them.
You must be new to Nintendo? You're naive optimism is cute and refreshing though.

You must be new to Nintendo? You're naive optimism is cute and refreshing though.
I owned a SNES when they were new, if that means anything. I'm not a conspiracy theorist. "Planned scarcity" is nonsense. Nintendo likes money. They may do this as a small run for some weird reason, but plenty of signs point to this being better stocked than the NES Classic.

A big problem with this one is that even if they do pre-orders, people will be pre-ordering multiple copies even if it's not for scalping purposes. A lot of people will be scared of pre-orders being cancelled and will go with multiple vendors just to be safe.

I owned a SNES when they were new, if that means anything. I'm not a conspiracy theorist. "Planned scarcity" is nonsense. Nintendo likes money. They may do this as a small run for some weird reason, but plenty of signs point to this being better stocked than the NES Classic.
You are so damn adorable. More people like you would make Nintendo threads more enjoyable. Just don't bank on those lofty expectations you have.

They like money but they are risk adverse. Which leads to them never producing more than they can sell. Their conservative nature leads them to under produce and create a scarcity. This scarcity while not artificial, does benefit them greatly in multiple facets.

You are so damn adorable. More people like you would make Nintendo threads more enjoyable. Just don't bank on those lofty expectations you have.
Are you flirting with me?

I have no expectations, man. This is probably gonna be hard to find no matter what. But I see some light at the end of the tunnel. Nintendo seems to have figured out a few things with the Switch and meeting demand, and I see where this could sit in their current plans in a way the NES Classic didn't in a pre-Switch world.

If I get one, great! If not, I'll keep waiting for someone to make an FPGA SNES so I can buy it and an Everdrive and bypass Nintendo completely, just like I did last year when I sold the NES Classic I got on launch day and used that money to buy the Retro USB AVS.

An Ebay listing is not news, nor is it interesting. When will people get over that? I could make a listing for pocket lint for a thousand dollars in one minute. WHO CARES!
I'm not bothered by the actual listing as much as the implication that this will be yet another product I will not be able to walk into a store a easily purchase

Already happening

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/879380025224515584
I reported it, his listing show July 3rd delivery, but the text says 9-17-2017. Both are wrong. He claims he got a pre-order in on Amazon, which is bullshit. And he has no feedback whatsoever.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad they are including 2 controllers. Maybe this time the cable lengths will be good lol.

IMO getting the extra controller was harder than the console

It is a sin that Final Fantasy II (IV) isn't included.
Yeah, I thought that game was going to be a total shoo-in. They went beyond that thought and paid to license both Final Fantasy III and Secret of Mana from Square which is surprising.

Final Fantasy II and Chrono Trigger are the two glaring omissions from the list, but the lineup is still very impressive.

Holy shit that game list is phenomenal! Can't wait for disappoints though, I flipped many NES Classics but the first SNES Classic I can get my hands on will go in the collection forever. Crazy they threw in Starfox 2 in there too!

I hope for the love of god Nintendo makes enough quantities of these this time. It's not like there are a lot of avenues to play Star Fox 2 legitimately.

The only game I'm really disappointed that is not on it is donkey Kong country 2. Bummer it isn't on it but will try to buy one anyone. The snes was always my favorite console of all time.

Can't believe Star Fox 2 will be on there! So pumped to not find one in stock
Don't set your your sights too high on Starfox 2. I was a HUGE fan of the first Starfox, and actually have enjoyed most of the Starfox games that have come out, even the DS game Starfox Command that was the most like this one. Starfox 2 isn't very good, and is pretty easy (I beat it the first time I played it on Normal).

But don't let that deter you from the SNES Classic, that list of games is amazing.

No Chrono Trigger? wtf.

Severe lack of games. Hope this one is hackable to.

Also lets try to have enough units produced this time Nintendo.

holy shit they got Final Fantasy III, Secret of Mana, Super Metroid, Super Mario RPG, and Earthbound. That's like the Pantheon of 16bit RPGs.
I'm shocked they didn't include Chrono Trigger. I wish they could just include all of these within the Switch. I would much rather play any and all of these games on a handheld (portable).

bread's done
Back