* - - - - 11 votes

snes classic O F F I C I A L thread

#271 sevast   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   396 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 30 September 2017 - 10:05 PM

I've heard about Sony or Xbox or somebody air shipping in consoles so there would be enough for the holiday. It makes sense losing money in the short run if you can make it up in the long run. There is no way to make more money off these. There is nothing good for Nintendo in boosting production if it costs more. There is no reason to lose money with faster shipping if you have to make your money from the one product. Yeah, Nintendo takes a pretty conservative outlook to this stuff, but I really think there will be enough out there once we get a couple more shipments... :)

#272 ianharwood   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   185 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

ianharwood

Posted 30 September 2017 - 10:30 PM

well it does look like these wont be hard to get - which IS what Nintendo promised, so good on them. 

Although I should probably wait till after the Christmas season to reserve judgment.

Good. Hopefully the reseller scumbags break even.

Instead of blowing their welfare money on in-demand products to flip they should just get jobs like normal people.

#273 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7503 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 30 September 2017 - 10:40 PM

Oh well, seems like this is going better than the NES Classic so I'll just try my luck. 

Well, if Reggie is to be believed(which I've yet to see any truth from him ever), "N" should be making these until interest slows, and then I'm guessing they'll convert production back over to the NES, and then offer those again.

So unless someone really needs one for the holidays, these should be produced until demand has been met, or at least longer than the NES was. So you may have to work a little harder to get one for Xmas, but if buyers are willing to wait, supply should still be around after the new year.

Just based on what I've seen at local stores, inventory seems to be up for all "N" related items, so it seems they aren't looking to lose out this holiday with no hardware to be had from early December thru March like last year. The new 2DS XL is every place, as that is probably their best 3DS family offering, as it's probably the cheapest to make, and with the new XL model, probably has the biggest profit margins of any of the models.

And with all the models being offered in a very short period of time(it just released, and there are several CE, as well as the standard colors), this seems to be their last holiday push for the 2DS/3DS's. As normally they would spread the special ones out over more time, but they seem to be in a rush to get all the options out before the holidays.

#274 mitch079   Mumm-Ra shares with no one! CAGiversary!   12827 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 30 September 2017 - 10:53 PM

killself.gif

#275 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2058 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted 30 September 2017 - 10:58 PM

Price is gonna fall like a rock on these on the secondary market. Just this morning on the most popular local trading site for my area (Craigslist isn't too popular here) I've seen one for $100 and another for $130. There are over 100 listings on that site which is a TON for my area. I can imagine once the shipped orders come in over the next week and the scalpers post those, no one is going to be buying these for much over MSRP. Bottom is gonna fall out on these. When BB and Target return deadlines start getting close (around the time we start to see restocks) I expect stores will have plenty of these.

If stock only trickles in over the next few weeks I could see a demand surge for the holidays but with the numbers we saw at launch I think there will be plenty to go around.

On my local Craiglist the number of them posted has doubled in the past day and all the ones that were $250-300 are now $150-125.  You can even tell where some have cut the price in the description but forgot the price in the header.  I've got a feeling they aren't getting any bites and are getting uncomfortable.  EBay has over 8,600 posted and active.  Looks like the return desks are going to be really busy.

#276 Squarehard   Nyaa~ CAGiversary!   21148 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Posted 30 September 2017 - 11:09 PM

This entire thread in a nutshell,

ForPOJQ.gif

#277 scottman   The ORIGINAL smiley blank face. CAGiversary!   3680 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

scottman

Posted 30 September 2017 - 11:12 PM

And since it is an unsealed console, these returns would probably be sent back to manufacturer, and not back on the floor.  But I really don't see any of these being returned in the near future unless they get another huge shipment in about a week or two.  But the fact that amazon and walmart "claim" they will be shipping a lot of orders in the next week or two, maybe there will be.

#278 dnl2ba   Inadvertent collector CAGiversary!   495 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

Posted 30 September 2017 - 11:16 PM

If you got an 8bitdo Retro Receiver for your NES Classic, you can use it with your SNES Classic after a firmware update. Without the firmware update, only the NES subset of buttons will work (D-pad, select, start, B, A).

If you don't already have a receiver and controllers from your NES Classic, get the new SN30 2.4G controller. It's only $25 each and includes a receiver.

The only annoying thing about 8bitdo controllers is remembering to charge them before use. You could leave them plugged in all the time, but I assume that'll lead to battery degradation over time.

#279 tclearinghouse   Mr. Wonderful CAGiversary!   20 Posts   Joined 4.7 Years Ago  

tclearinghouse

Posted 30 September 2017 - 11:48 PM

Bunch of sour grapes in this thread. Makes for great reading so by all means please keep it up everyone!

#280 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7503 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 30 September 2017 - 11:54 PM

Did anyone happen to get the SNES Classic CE Prima book from Gamestop? It had an exclusive litho print for SF2, and I was wondering if it's worth the extra funds, as it can be had for $20 less at Amazon(without the print of course).

#281 NiiNJA   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   438 Posts   Joined 7.9 Years Ago  

Posted 01 October 2017 - 12:04 AM

On my local Craiglist the number of them posted has doubled in the past day and all the ones that were $250-300 are now $150-125.  You can even tell where some have cut the price in the description but forgot the price in the header.  I've got a feeling they aren't getting any bites and are getting uncomfortable.  EBay has over 8,600 posted and active.  Looks like the return desks are going to be really busy.

lmao no one is going to be returning this.

#282 The Punisher   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4056 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

The Punisher

Posted 01 October 2017 - 12:18 AM

lmao no one is going to be returning this.

Let's hope that more is coming within a few weeks. Still trying to get one to play final fantasy 3.

Wish Lufia and final fantasy 2 was on it, but cool that earthbound and super mario RPG is on it.  

#283 elitewillie   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2815 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

elitewillie

Posted 01 October 2017 - 12:44 AM

Let's hope that more is coming within a few weeks. Still trying to get one to play final fantasy 3.
Wish Lufia and final fantasy 2 was on it, but cool that earthbound and super mario RPG is on it.

Lufia was so damn good. Man I played that game so damn much.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

#284 Chrono Gear   For the Horde! CAGiversary!   5237 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Chrono Gear

Posted 01 October 2017 - 12:59 AM

You know what I just realized would be a brilliant marketing move for Nintendo (and I hope they are listening... Reggie are you there?); What if the re-release of the NES Classic as the gen 2 top loader model instead of the OG one? I’d buy it again in a heartbeat. Plus they could mix up the lineup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#285 Ferrari Racer   Banned CAGiversary!   6722 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

Ferrari Racer

Posted 01 October 2017 - 01:16 AM

so we have 2 SNES threads in Shopping Discussions....lol

#286 Jodou   Infamous CAGiversary!   14860 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 01 October 2017 - 01:25 AM

Market has stabilized at $160 over the past two days so the mad nerds can stop posting their salty tears over things that don't affect them. Money makes the world go 'round and crying isn't going to change it.

#287 SaraAB   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5457 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Posted 01 October 2017 - 01:51 AM

I haven't commented in like 7 years, but I signed in to do so just because of this post. I find it absurd that people who are FORTUNATE enough to have the time to line up or to have relatives/friends who are willing to do so criticize other, yes, like the other poster I'm replying to and myself, because we work and don't have close friends or family.

So, let me see, I work in IT, sometimes starting my days at 5am in daylong working sessions I can't come out of. So, should I have sent my wife, along with our 4 kids to wait in line for hours? What happens when they're hungry, or need to be changed, or get restless? Would you tolerate HOURS of dealing with 4 toddlers JUST for a SNES?

Or should I send my mother who runs a business, or my brothers who have no car or are in school? Maybe my nonexistent friends due to being an adult who works, has a house, and, again, young kids.

MY POINT IS: you aren't in a place to be saying someone else doesn't care or is too lazy, or whatever. Life doesn't align to Nintendo's stupid manufacturing decisions. We see it over and over, year after year. And, to the guy comparing the SNES Mini to the DIsney Infinity... seriously? A built in audience of us older gamers PLUS all new gamers vs. Disney Fans. Everyone needs to stop defending Nintendo. They make these stupid decisions on purpose over and over.

Come at me, bro's.

I have to agree, first of all I am not lining up for a product for any reason, just no way, I am not doing it. Yes I have the time to do it, but again even with the time, I am not doing it. Basically, I am not going out of my way to buy any product. There is nothing that is so important to me that I have to have that I would wake up at 7am and get to a store early and stand outside in a line for hours just to get a product. I have no kids so I don't need to buy the hottest toy, and even if I did have kids, they would be told they can't have it if I could not find it at retail price, they would not die if they did not get a toy believe me, especially one they will play with for 5 min and then put away for eternity. If I want a product and I cannot find one on the shelf, then I am probably not buying it. I would NEVER pay a scalper to get something. I do not need a SNES classic to survive, and if I want to play these games, there are plenty of other ways to do that including my original SNES that I already own.

I have no problem with placing a preorder in a store or online for a game though, or possibly another product, as long as I don't have to wait in a huge line, which I never have had to. I have always been able to pick up a preorder within 24 hours of the release, if I can't I simply call the store and tell them why and they usually have no problem holding it for me.

#288 ianharwood   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   185 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

ianharwood

Posted 01 October 2017 - 02:51 AM

Market has stabilized at $160 over the past two days so the mad nerds can stop posting their salty tears over things that don't affect them. Money makes the world go 'round and crying isn't going to change it.

Publicly denouncing trashy people is not the same as getting mad and crying

Want to make money? Work. Don't be a parasite and profit off the labor of others.

#289 Person808   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1179 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 01 October 2017 - 02:58 AM

This thread is great. Thanks for the reading entertainment folks.

tenor.gif

#290 Ferrari Racer   Banned CAGiversary!   6722 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

Ferrari Racer

Posted 01 October 2017 - 03:40 AM

YAWiFL9.jpg

edit: meant to say salty tears lol

#291 Squarehard   Nyaa~ CAGiversary!   21148 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Posted 01 October 2017 - 03:54 AM

I think that's supposed to say tears, and not salt, since that would actually dehydrate America not flood it.

Good effort though. ;D

edit: Approved! ^__^!

#292 Chrono Gear   For the Horde! CAGiversary!   5237 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Chrono Gear

Posted 01 October 2017 - 04:00 AM

Want to make money? Work. Don't be a parasite and profit off the labor of others.

Scalpers do put work into getting their supply and selling it. It doesn’t just magically appear. If you know some trick to making free money I’d love to hear about it.

#293 Squarehard   Nyaa~ CAGiversary!   21148 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Posted 01 October 2017 - 04:05 AM

Yeah!

Get a job, so others can profit off of your labor instead!

#294 mitch079   Mumm-Ra shares with no one! CAGiversary!   12827 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 01 October 2017 - 04:10 AM

Scalpers do put work into getting their supply and selling it. It doesn’t just magically appear. If you know some trick to making free money I’d love to hear about it.

#295 Chrono Gear   For the Horde! CAGiversary!   5237 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Chrono Gear

Posted 01 October 2017 - 04:16 AM

If I click the link I’m already putting work into it. Heck watching the video would be work. Trying to duplicate whatever scheme is in the video would be work. Try harder. Lol

#296 Nesmaniac   8 bit heaven CAGiversary!   1364 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Nesmaniac

Posted 01 October 2017 - 07:43 AM

Scalpers rejoice! SNES classics sold listings on ebay show that they are holding their price thanks to all the people willing to pay double or more retail. Nicely played scalpers, you're assumption that people have more money than patience was correct. 

#297 Squeegor 2  

Squeegor 2

Posted 01 October 2017 - 09:33 AM

Yeah!

Well that's not a very healthy perspective on life Squarehard. I'm thankful there are scientists, engineers and computer programmers who do contribute their labor and make possible things like the SNES Classic, as well as the devices and network infrastructure that make all this bickering about scalpers possible.

#298 Squeegor 2  

Squeegor 2

Posted 01 October 2017 - 10:27 AM

Speaking of scalpers...

Scalpers rejoice! SNES classics sold listings on ebay show that they are holding their price thanks to all the people willing to pay double or more retail. Nicely played scalpers, you're assumption that people have more money than patience was correct. 

...they get a really bad rap around here but what about the people that pay their inflated prices? I don't respect the practice of scalping (and it's definitely not "hard work" lol, don't give me that) but at the same time if someone is dumb enough to give you their money, why shouldn't you take it, right??

I'm just being the devil's advocate there of course to point out that the problem isn't one-dimensional. If you didn't get anything you wanted because of scalpers in your area, be sure to also dole out some frustration at the people making their practice worth their while.

#299 ianharwood   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   185 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

ianharwood

Posted 01 October 2017 - 12:23 PM

Their work consists of:

sitting in their car

sitting on the pavement outside of stores

walking through other stores

listing things on eBay

That's even less effort than most government employees put in

Yeah!

Correct. So they can use those profits to hire people or produce profitable goods, like the SNES Classic. They work hard to make a lot of money to do important/desirable things. Scalpers do practically no work to exploit product hype to do nothing productive with their gains.

Comparing scalpers to any standard employer-employee relationship is erroneous. A more apt comparison would be to price-gouging 

#300 soonersfan60   Longing for retro CAG... CAGiversary!   4441 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

soonersfan60

Posted 01 October 2017 - 12:45 PM

Speaking of scalpers...

...they get a really bad rap around here but what about the people that pay their inflated prices? I don't respect the practice of scalping (and it's definitely not "hard work" lol, don't give me that) but at the same time if someone is dumb enough to give you their money, why shouldn't you take it, right??

I'm just being the devil's advocate there of course to point out that the problem isn't one-dimensional. If you didn't get anything you wanted because of scalpers in your area, be sure to also dole out some frustration at the people making their practice worth their while.

So perhaps those buyers on eBay should pay me if I point out to them where they can find an SNES-C for themselves at normal retail. So I give them a link to a Target.com ordering page, and they pay me $80... voila! Instant service and  I make their money while they get their "toy."