* * * * - 10 votes

Gamestop "New" Thread

#7651 Meepo  

Posted 18 June 2018 - 05:34 PM

Are the two controller promotions overlapping?

#7652 Jrep37  

Posted 18 June 2018 - 05:34 PM

I saw them. The same weekend of prestige day. Definitely said 70 percent. And nothing about trading in a certain amount of games. I should have taken a picture.

Weren’t people saying the actual signs from earlier in the month said 70%? The ones they never put out? Wonder what happened to those.

#7653 Adhiman   Banned Banned   318 Posts   Joined 3.8 Years Ago  

Adhiman

Posted 18 June 2018 - 05:40 PM

I saw them. The same weekend of prestige day. Definitely said 70 percent. And nothing about trading in a certain amount of games. I should have taken a picture.

I’m convinced the GameStop promo team reads CAG lol

#7654 Riyotous   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   155 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Riyotous

Posted 18 June 2018 - 06:02 PM

I’m convinced the GameStop promo team reads CAG lol

Years ago (roughly 12 years ago when I worked there) they sent out Black Friday ads early only to certain stores to narrow down where they were being leaked from. If the 70% posters did not go out to all stores, they might be trying to narrow down a leak. I know I’ve seen some people say that they asked and managers had no idea, so maybe this is the case again.

#7655 Adhiman   Banned Banned   318 Posts   Joined 3.8 Years Ago  

Adhiman

Posted 18 June 2018 - 06:23 PM

Years ago (roughly 12 years ago when I worked there) they sent out Black Friday ads early only to certain stores to narrow down where they were being leaked from. If the 70% posters did not go out to all stores, they might be trying to narrow down a leak. I know I’ve seen some people say that they asked and managers had no idea, so maybe this is the case again.

Well I mean the 70% off thing wouldn’t have been top-secret or anything, right? Seems like a pretty typical deal for this time of year.

#7656 Sigma   King of Strong Style CAGiversary!   4442 Posts   Joined 17.0 Years Ago  

Posted 18 June 2018 - 06:38 PM

I worked at Gamestop about as long ago as you. I remember receiving promotional items for future sales or just to have in case they greenlight a promotion for specific stores or districts. I've never heard of Gamestop getting that crazy about narrowing down leaks though. 

#7657 boneless   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1860 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 18 June 2018 - 07:03 PM

It's funny how now that wouldn't even be relevant. They expect BF ad leaks for example. I remember cease and desist orders before from bestbuy and target.

#7658 Wrectifyy  

Posted 18 June 2018 - 07:09 PM

I wouldn’t call an extra 10% significant.

Extra 10% and no other purchase necessary provides much more flexibility for trading purposes

#7659 rydall   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   76 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 18 June 2018 - 07:13 PM

An employee who works there told me when the 70% off signs arrived it was in the computer system to put them up that Friday. But Thursday morning hit and there was company wide notice to not put them up. He thinks it's because prestige day landed on that same Friday.

#7660 Z-Saber   moon2S CAGiversary!   7017 Posts   Joined 16.4 Years Ago  

Posted 18 June 2018 - 07:30 PM

Extra 10% and no other purchase necessary provides much more flexibility for trading purposes

Your avatar triggers me

#7661 I'm Old Now   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   157 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

I'm Old Now

Posted 18 June 2018 - 08:04 PM

It will definitely get reset by the employee.

No, never trust GameStop employees to reset your system. EVER. I did not reset my OG Xbox One when I traded it in for a PS4 2 and a half years ago. 2-3 weeks later my Debit Card connected to my Gamertag gets Xbox marketplace charges totaling almost $200. I did not delete ANYTHING from my console, fully expecting the GameStop employee(s) to wipe my console. Now I know that its my fault for not clearing my console myself beforehand or at the very least double-checking during the trade-in to make sure that the employee did in fact remember to wipe my system but the incompetence of GameStop employees can never be underestimated.

#7662 jimbo8574   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   8262 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 18 June 2018 - 08:21 PM

I would never trust them either. It's funny how insistent they are about "Don't wipe your system, let us do it!". Last time I took in my PS4 they didn't even plug it in. They just took it.

Yeah the guy who expected me to read out my password in a crowded store so he could log into my XBL account said well you didn't have to wipe it before you brought it in.  I was like I don't leave my accounts on things I am getting rid of.  

I would never trust them to wipe my console or get my password.  

#7663 Sigma   King of Strong Style CAGiversary!   4442 Posts   Joined 17.0 Years Ago  

Posted 18 June 2018 - 08:23 PM

No, never trust GameStop employees to reset your system. EVER. I did not reset my OG Xbox One when I traded it in for a PS4 2 and a half years ago. 2-3 weeks later my Debit Card connected to my Gamertag gets Xbox marketplace charges totaling almost $200. I did not delete ANYTHING from my console, fully expecting the GameStop employee(s) to wipe my console. Now I know that its my fault for not clearing my console myself beforehand or at the very least double-checking during the trade-in to make sure that the employee did in fact remember to wipe my system but the incompetence of GameStop employees can never be underestimated.

I took in a PS3 a couple of weeks ago and literally told the employee that it was a 250 GB model, but luckily for me, the guy must have hearing issues because he took it in as a 320 GB system so I got more than I had expected. 

#7664 chnandler_bong   Unofficial CAG Headless Mad Comber of Comb Mountain CAGiversary!   11587 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

chnandler_bong

Posted 18 June 2018 - 08:43 PM

PSA - ou don't have to factory reset or wipe your console before trading it in.  Just remove all accounts from it and you're GTG.  Although, it doesn't hurt to do so if you have time.  I fully factory reset a :ps4: recently and it took HOURS.

PS - I can only speak to :xb1: and :ps4: consoles in this regard, so if any other accepted console is different feel free to chime in.

#7665 Donut2922   Read the OP! CAGiversary!   10091 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 18 June 2018 - 08:46 PM

On PS4s i thought if you remove all accounts you are forced to initialize?

#7666 SquirrelKing  

SquirrelKing

Posted 18 June 2018 - 09:25 PM

Question: Can you still use trade in credit and GameStop gift cards to purchase Amazon “Kindle” Gift Cards?

#7667 Viper X  

Posted 18 June 2018 - 09:31 PM

Before I traded in my PS4, I deactivate the system then did a quick wipe of the system. After that I go back in and create a generic account on a wired internet connection (don't want to leave wireless info on system). When I get to GS, they plug it in and power it up, read what the system has (hdd size) and try a game. It usually takes less than 10 minutes. I have traded in 2 PS4s before (TIV too good to pass up).

#7668 intelligentidiot   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1193 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

intelligentidiot

Posted 18 June 2018 - 09:55 PM

Exclusive: GameStop in talks with buyout firms after drawing interest - sources: https://www.reuters....s-idUSKBN1JE2JI

#7669 FlyingMonkey9   Genetically Modified CAG CAGiversary!   4177 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

FlyingMonkey9

Posted 18 June 2018 - 10:30 PM

Exclusive: GameStop in talks with buyout firms after drawing interest - sources: https://www.reuters....s-idUSKBN1JE2JI

I look forward to them being resold afterwards for 54.99 used

#7670 Starcrest   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1028 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Starcrest

Posted 18 June 2018 - 10:49 PM

I would say apathy, not incompetence.
  • ck0 likes this

#7671 Jhingles  

Jhingles

Posted 18 June 2018 - 11:11 PM

I look forward to them being resold afterwards for 54.99 used

You mean 56.99 nowadays.

#7672 ~starlight~   CAG Veteran Silenced   1095 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

~starlight~

Posted 18 June 2018 - 11:21 PM

It will definitely get reset by the employee.

They only remove accts not reset. I once got a preowned XB1 during their b2g1 where the original owner still had the console listed as home console even though their acct and games were no longer on it. I was able to access all their games, just had to DL all of them from Games/App. I only remember thus coz they bought Halo 5 and it only been a few wks since its release lol.

Before I traded in my PS4, I deactivate the system then did a quick wipe of the system. After that I go back in and create a generic account on a wired internet connection (don't want to leave wireless info on system). When I get to GS, they plug it in and power it up, read what the system has (hdd size) and try a game. It usually takes less than 10 minutes. I have traded in 2 PS4s before (TIV too good to pass up).

Ugh I keep forgetting to remove my WiFi info, is there a way the next buyer can retrieve my WiFi info from the console? Omg what if my neighbor buys it, yikes! Lol
I always do put a generic acct on it tho...

#7673 DisGonnaBeGood   But I need tacos! I need them or I will explode. CAGiversary!   4020 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

DisGonnaBeGood

Posted 19 June 2018 - 12:28 AM

Same. When it happened to me, I just thought my psn account somehow got compromised. However, it just hit me that I traded in my PS4 not long before that little incident. Cost me $50, and could have been out more had I not caught it quickly. Luckily Sony was good and granted me a refund.

#7674 I'm Old Now   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   157 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

I'm Old Now

Posted 19 June 2018 - 12:47 AM

I would say apathy, not incompetence.

You're right, it can very well be that too.

Same. When it happened to me, I just thought my psn account somehow got compromised. However, it just hit me that I traded in my PS4 not long before that little incident. Cost me $50, and could have been out more had I not caught it quickly. Luckily Sony was good and granted me a refund.

Yeah unfortunately for me instead of going to Microsoft customer service I went to my bank to dispute the charges. While I was temporarily given a credit, a few months later my claim was reversed because Microsoft disputed my claim. At that point I basically needed a lawyer for $200 so I just let the whole situation go and ate the loss.

#7675 Raw_Orangejuice  

Raw_Orangejuice

Posted 19 June 2018 - 12:59 AM

Yeah unfortunately for me instead of going to Microsoft customer service I went to my bank to dispute the charges. While I was temporarily given a credit, a few months later my claim was reversed because Microsoft disputed my claim. At that point I basically needed a lawyer for $200 so I just let the whole situation go and ate the loss.

well there you go, next time go to Microsoft which would've been the proper channel. Sony would've just banned your account and remove your games

#7676 DisGonnaBeGood   But I need tacos! I need them or I will explode. CAGiversary!   4020 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

DisGonnaBeGood

Posted 19 June 2018 - 01:04 AM

I try and avoid going through the bank after I got royally jerked around by mine (Wells Fargo). Like you said, the companies disputed my dispute, and I lost, and I end up getting charged the amount. First time I bought something from Staples with my debit card, Staples cancelled the order, and for whatever reason they wouldn't just refund it to my debit card (I can't remember the specifics, but they took a long ass time to refund me). Second time I had hundreds of dollars fraudulently charged to my credit card for Lyft. Both times, my bank (which my debit and credit card are through) acted like there was pretty much nothing they could do. I was persistent though and kept calling in, probably a dozne or more times each incident, until they finally made things right.

That's why I am so happy some banks like capital one have an option to lock your card when not in use. If I could, I would opt into that option for all my accounts that I don't have reoccurring charges.

#7677 I'm Old Now   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   157 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

I'm Old Now

Posted 19 June 2018 - 03:01 AM

well there you go, next time go to Microsoft which would've been the proper channel. Sony would've just banned your account and remove your games

Next time? Every console I've traded-in since then I at the very least delete my Gamertag/PSN from the console....

I think the only reason I was not banned by Microsoft was because it was not a credit card situation with a chargeback. It was my debit card so I just got a credit from my bank, the charges were not actually reversed.

#7678 TimPV3   I don't play games, I play GameStop CAGiversary!   3066 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 19 June 2018 - 04:36 AM

Can anyone confirm the 4 for $20 is dead? The weekly ad said it was good until the 19th, but I see the 4 for $10 on the app now. I did a WIS for some $9.99 PS3 games to have adjusted when they arrive, and of course they got pushed back from Saturday to tomorrow.

#7679 WickedCyclone  

WickedCyclone

Posted 19 June 2018 - 04:38 AM

Did a couple trades today and the employee was so awesome and didn't even open half of the games to check them, not a single refurb fee. I just traded some stuff that I thought might tank between now and the next 70%. If anyone wants to convert points into credit, Hyrule Warriors and Tropical Freeze work well if there are any pre-owned copies. 

Also one of the guys that traded before me brought in two Wii Systems and about 10 extra remotes. I guess somebody won't be trading again for a while.

#7680 HeroOfTime88  

HeroOfTime88

Posted 19 June 2018 - 05:28 AM

Guys I need help. I bought 1 year of PS Plus on Friday and idk what happened but I lost the receipt and there was the code for the PS Plus. Do you guys know if there’s any way they can provide me with another code?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk