- - - - -

2019 Thrift Store Thread -- Share Your Findings Here

#1 Yu Narukami  

Yu Narukami

Posted 31 December 2018 - 09:14 AM

New year means it's time for a new thread. Being the group of cheapassgamer's that we are, it's only natural that thrift stores would be one of our main areas to hit up. Though I honestly wonder what the point of this thread is since nobody posts their hauls anymore.

Here's last year's, the year before last's, the year before the year before last's, and yes, even the thread from four years ago if your looking for some motivation. Quite a big number of great finds to- oh wait, no there isn't.

https://www.cheapass...-findings-here/

Gotta say, I was very disappointed with last year's turnout. Knowledge is power, guys! Post your hauls!

#2 Retroxcellance   Billy "Big Bang" Blitz CAGiversary!   1327 Posts   Joined 4.5 Years Ago  

Retroxcellance

Posted 31 December 2018 - 02:08 PM

Mmmm, love that new thread smell

#3 GamerSavage   The Throwback Kid CAGiversary!   1001 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

GamerSavage

Posted 31 December 2018 - 09:23 PM

Here's to making more trips to thrift stores and massive finds in 2019!

#4 postaboy   OLD SKOOL CAGER CAGiversary!   1899 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 31 December 2018 - 10:57 PM

I haven't been thrifting lately but last night I bought an XB1 500GB system with 2 controllers and Kinect for $65. I just tested it and it's in working condition. What are some good exclusive games for it? I'm mainly a PlayStation/PC gamer.

IMG-3708.jpg

#5 GamerSavage   The Throwback Kid CAGiversary!   1001 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

GamerSavage

Posted 01 January 2019 - 12:06 AM

I haven't been thrifting lately but last night I bought an XB1 500GB system with 2 controllers and Kinect for $65. I just tested it and it's in working condition. What are some good exclusive games for it? I'm mainly a PlayStation/PC gamer.

IMG-3708.jpg

Some good exclusive to check out are Halo: The Master Chief Collection, Forza Motorsport5/6/7, Forza Horizon 2/3/4 , Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive, etc. Make sure you check Xbox Game Pass as you can download and play full games to try before you buy. Right now you can get 1 month for $1.

Start here as there are a decent amount of games on sale for three more days if you don't mind buy digital: https://www.xbox.com...sales/countdown

Also check out the XBL thread to get help with game recommendations: XBL Deals Thread

#6 ArugulaZ   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1588 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 01 January 2019 - 12:27 AM

Killer Instinct is pretty good on the system. Definitely worth considering for the current price (ten dollars).

#7 juangrande386   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1238 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

juangrande386

Posted 01 January 2019 - 09:19 PM

Hmmm so your GW sells that Xbox One bundle for $65 and mine wants $45 for a Wii bundle........crazy how random the prices can be. I got a black 1st party Gamecube controller for $3 yesterday, probably came in with that Wii. I find it weird that theyll have these PS2s/Wiis every once and awhile but I never see any games!

#8 burbs1989   Pardon my glove...... CAGiversary!   150 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

burbs1989

Posted 01 January 2019 - 10:37 PM

Hmmm so your GW sells that Xbox One bundle for $65 and mine wants $45 for a Wii bundle........crazy how random the prices can be. I got a black 1st party Gamecube controller for $3 yesterday, probably came in with that Wii. I find it weird that theyll have these PS2s/Wiis every once and awhile but I never see any games!

I just purchased a Wii from my local thrift complete with box for $10, it also came with an extra Wii remote. Looks like it was barely used, and has the Gamecube connectors. $45 is way too much unless it includes some great games. Some of the mgmt. at thrift stores REALLY don't know what things are worth, which can be good...sometimes.

#9 postaboy   OLD SKOOL CAGER CAGiversary!   1899 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 02 January 2019 - 08:26 AM

Some good exclusive to check out are Halo: The Master Chief Collection, Forza Motorsport5/6/7, Forza Horizon 2/3/4 , Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive, etc. Make sure you check Xbox Game Pass as you can download and play full games to try before you buy. Right now you can get 1 month for $1.

Start here as there are a decent amount of games on sale for three more days if you don't mind buy digital: https://www.xbox.com...sales/countdown

Also check out the XBL thread to get help with game recommendations: XBL Deals Thread

Thanks for the recommendations. I ended up getting Quantum Break and Sunset Break. I also signed up for $1 month Game Pass and Gold just to check it out.

#10 TuscaloosaJohnny  

TuscaloosaJohnny

Posted 02 January 2019 - 04:27 PM

Thanks for the recommendations. I ended up getting Quantum Break and Sunset Break. I also signed up for $1 month Game Pass and Gold just to check it out.

Hard to beat the value of game pass.

#11 IDreamcasterI  

IDreamcasterI

Posted 07 January 2019 - 03:09 AM

Picked up a Wii System complete with cords, sensor bar, and Wiimote for $5.  It doesn't seem to read discs but otherwise it works perfectly and had a bunch of Virtual Console games on it.  I figured worse case scenario I can hack it and dump a bunch of games on it.

#12 postaboy   OLD SKOOL CAGER CAGiversary!   1899 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 09 January 2019 - 02:43 AM

Just scored a SNES system bundle with 6 games, cables, & 2 controllers for $10 at Salvation Army. Games are Kirby Super Star, Mario All-Stars, R-Type, Street Fighter 2 Turbo, Tetris/Dr. Mario, & Arkanoid.

IMG-5377-Large.jpg

IMG-5381-Large.jpg

I also saw a homemade 2-player arcade fightstick cabinet (Rasberry Pi setup inside) for $18. I'm reconsidering going back tomorrow after work and purchasing it but damn this thing is pretty huge. I live in a small place with 4 roommates. Not sure If I have to space for it.

IMG-5374-Large.jpgIMG-5375-Large.jpg

#13 Retroxcellance   Billy "Big Bang" Blitz CAGiversary!   1327 Posts   Joined 4.5 Years Ago  

Retroxcellance

Posted 09 January 2019 - 12:04 PM

Just scored a SNES system bundle with 6 games, cables, & 2 controllers for $10 at Salvation Army. Games are Kirby Super Star, Mario All-Stars, R-Type, Street Fighter 2 Turbo, Tetris/Dr. Mario, & Arkanoid.

IMG-5377-Large.jpg

IMG-5381-Large.jpg

I also saw a homemade 2-player arcade fightstick cabinet (Rasberry Pi setup inside) for $18. I'm reconsidering going back tomorrow after work and purchasing it but damn this thing is pretty huge. I live in a small place with 4 roommates. Not sure If I have to space for it.

IMG-5374-Large.jpgIMG-5375-Large.jpg

They probably didn't know what the snes jr was. Nice score

#14 juangrande386   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1238 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

juangrande386

Posted 09 January 2019 - 04:09 PM

1990 Christmas Alvin-$6. 1993 Star Trek TNG Tricorder-$1. Wii Nunchuk-$2. Fat PS2 with cables, memory card, and Champions of Norath game inside-$25. They wanted $40 for another PS2 just because it had a controller as well.... even though they sell those for $3 all the time!  Slim PS2, ac adapter, 2 controllers, memory card-$25. Would've passed on the fatty if I knew this would've been there the next day. Oh well, got some Craigslist trade bait now.

tZ36hZK.jpg3KSLR9v.jpg

#15 Retroxcellance   Billy "Big Bang" Blitz CAGiversary!   1327 Posts   Joined 4.5 Years Ago  

Retroxcellance

Posted 09 January 2019 - 05:17 PM

1990 Christmas Alvin-$6. 1993 Star Trek TNG Tricorder-$1. Wii Nunchuk-$2. Fat PS2 with cables, memory card, and Champions of Norath game inside-$25. They wanted $40 for another PS2 just because it had a controller as well.... even though they sell those for $3 all the time!  Slim PS2, ac adapter, 2 controllers, memory card-$25. Would've passed on the fatty if I knew this would've been there the next day. Oh well, got some Craigslist trade bait now.

tZ36hZK.jpg3KSLR9v.jpg

That tricoder looks amazing.

I found a Kirby Fright to the Finish DVD at a Salvation Army yesterday. I didn't even know Kirby had an animated show! 

#16 IDreamcasterI  

IDreamcasterI

Posted 10 January 2019 - 03:10 AM

That tricoder looks amazing.

I found a Kirby Fright to the Finish DVD at a Salvation Army yesterday. I didn't even know Kirby had an animated show! 

Yep, it was called "Kirby: Right Back at Ya" if I remember correctly.  It aired on The Fox Box (back when that was a thing) around 2002 or so.  It was pretty decent from what I recall.

#17 Ferrari Racer   Banned CAGiversary!   6696 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

Ferrari Racer

Posted 10 January 2019 - 12:25 PM

Some recent Goodwill finds for $2 each

Rock Band 3 XB360

NFS Most Wanted Black Edition PS2

Uncharted 4

Barbie and Her Sisters: Puppy Rescue

#18 kobun   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   69 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 13 January 2019 - 07:24 AM

its been tough finding stuff now. last year was hard.  but i foound my first switch items at the goodwill.

neon yellow joy cons, thinking about keeping them or making one with a dpad..

ESVYlC1.jpg

#19 Retroxcellance   Billy "Big Bang" Blitz CAGiversary!   1327 Posts   Joined 4.5 Years Ago  

Retroxcellance

Posted 13 January 2019 - 12:18 PM

its been tough finding stuff now. last year was hard.  but i foound my first switch items at the goodwill.

neon yellow joy cons, thinking about keeping them or making one with a dpad..

ESVYlC1.jpg

Not making a d-pad standard on the switch is my biggest beef with the system.  I love platformers and I needed to get an 8bitdo usb device to pair my wii u pro controller just to have a decent d-pad to play mega man 11.

#20 juangrande386   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1238 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

juangrande386

Posted 19 January 2019 - 09:36 PM

Razer Death Stalker keyboard-$3, NCAA 14-$4, Batman The Complete Animated series boxset-$15 missing the art book

ybej2lS.jpg