TurboGrafx-16 Mini Retro Console (Amazon Exclusive : Pre-orders start July 15th)

FatBoyInside

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1137 (100%)
gdpteemblz1zjqrwmupn.jpg
 ​
regions.jpg
 ​
 ​

OFFICIAL RELEASE DATE : MARCH 19, 2020   (MSRP is $99.99)

AMAZON will be the EXCLUSIVE SELLER for this device, and pre-orders will open up on July 15th.

Konami's plug and play mini-replica system (roughly 85% of the original console's dimensions to maintain authenticity) will feature USB-enabled original-sized controller, HDMI-output, different display modes, quick save function for its pre-loaded games, and multitap accessory support (sold separately) for up to 5 players at once.  50 pre-loaded games currently announced are :

​
American Titles (English language only)
  • Air Zonk
  • Alien Crush
  • Blazing Lazers
  • Bomberman ‘93
  • Bonk’s Revenge
  • Cadash
  • Chew-Man-Fu
  • Dungeon Explorer
  • J.J. & Jeff
  • Lords Of Thunder
  • Military Madness
  • Moto Roader
  • Neutopia
  • Neutopia II
  • New Adventure Island
  • Ninja Spirit
  • Parasol Stars
  • Power Golf
  • Psychosis
  • R-Type
  • Soldier Blade
  • Space Harrier
  • Victory Run
  • Ys Book I&II

PC Engine titles (Japanese language only)
  • Akumajō Dracula X Chi No Rondo (aka Castlevania: Rondo Of Blood)
  • Aldynes (SuperGrafx game)
  • Appare! Gateball
  • Bomberman ‘94
  • Bomberman Panic Bomber
  • Chō Aniki
  • Daimakaimura (Ghouls ‘N’ Ghosts - SuperGrafx game)
  • Dungeon Explorer
  • Fantasy Zone
  • Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire
  • Gradius (Nemesis)
  • Gradius II – Gofer No Yabō (Nemesis II)
  • Jaseiken Necromancer
  • Nectaris (Military Madness)
  • Neutopia
  • Neutopia II
  • Ninja Ryūkenden (Ninja Gaiden)
  • PC-Genjin (Bonk)
  • Salamander
  • Snatcher
  • Star Parodier (Fantasy Star Soldier)
  • Super Darius
  • Super Momotarō Dentetsu II
  • Super Star Soldier
  • The Kung Fu (China Warrior)
  • Ys I&II

Additional Turbo TG-16 mini controller - 2800 yen  (approx. $28)

Multi-tap TG-16 mini expansion accessory for 4 added controller ports - 3400 yen (approx. $34)

There are overlaps of games from the two different regions, so all titles are in their original language only.  If any other details arise, I will be sure to update this page. Cheers!

Official website is HERE

For comparison's sake, the Japanese counterpart (PC Engine Mini) will include the following exclusive titles:

• Tokimeki Memorial (Dating sim) to replace Salamander

Cool stats to noodle over : 138 licensed games were released for the Turbografx-16 in North America, with 44 of them being on the CD-format.  On the other hand, a total of 650 games were officially released commercially in Japan for the PC Engine.   

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t understand why everyone is now doing the “well reveal the rest of the games later!” It’s like everyone followed the PlayStation Classic and was like guess that’s how you do it

I'm Excited, even though I still have all my TG-16/PC Engine systems and games. Konami owns Hudson Soft. Hudson Soft pretty much was NEC. I'd love for them to add Castlevania Rondo of Blood and Snatcher.

Interesting I did not know Konami owns the turbo grafx license.
TurboGrafx console was jointly created by NEC and Hudson. In 2005, Konami became the parent company of Hudson. Then in 2012, Konami fully absorbed all of Hudson's operations and properties.

With Konami touting the multitap accessory, I am pretty confident there will be at least a Bomberman title added. I am personally rooting for Snatcher, as well. Please don't disappoint us, Konami....

If done right like Nintendos and (seemingly) genesis mini then I'd very excited to buy this. Just hope it has splatterhouse, nectaris and legendary axe. Would be great since I sold my turbografx and games a few years ago when I unloaded all my old games and systems for down paymn on a house.

Never expected to see a TurboGrafx mini. Hopefully they do things right and make it really nice. Such a great system that a lot of people never got to experience.

biggest news of the week for me! Love this system and still have original system with CD attachment and ~30 games. I really hope this does not get screwed up. Anyone found a place to preorder yet?

So no indication of total number of games yet?  I'm hoping at least 30 but won't be surprised if its less.  They could easily put 30 - 40 quality titles on this thing though.

Will preorder it as soon as it becomes available.

I won't, I've got a turbo everdrive for the rest.

They will hack this just like the NES classic and the SNES classic and the playstation mini. At that point its the same legality running roms off a everdrive or this running custom firmware.

that is my plan to get this and hope hackers open it up.

Turbografx 16 was a system a lot of people didn't get to play and pretty rare so it keeps prices up, something like this can make people sell of their system and games. A everdrive is not cheap either and Krizz is constantly making new models every few years. These mini systems can run custom firmware so as time goes you don't have to worry about lack of features which can be updated in software. Those everdrives in the start didn't have save states and so many other problems. Last I checked there was FIVE versions of Krizz's everdrive alone just of the SEGA genesis/megadrive. That is not counting his everdrives for other systems or any other third party ones not by krizz. That's just five revisions of the sega genesis everdrive alone, each time adding new features and capability. Some can run more roms then others.

This mini console becomes a everdrive that updates itself. You never need to buy the next version of a everdrive.

The TG16 is fairly easy to emulate. There's a 3DS emulator (actually, an official one by Konami and another homebrew emulator called TemperPCE) that handles most of its library pretty well. This should be a slam dunk for Konami, but I don't have as much faith in the company as I did fifteen years ago... and that was before they bought Hudson Soft. If they bung this, I've got like a dozen other systems and handhelds that can run these games.

I'm going to need some more details and re-assurances before I pre-order something like this. I didn't get hyped for the Genesis mini until M2 came on board. And while Konami has had a few decent retro collections recently, they haven't necessarily been stellar. Just going to need a little more to go on than we have at present.

I do like that apparently Turbo-CD games are fair game. That at least is encouraging. The short list of games they have so far are all solid entries. But this is going to be a one-shot deal, so we definitely need to be seeing a larger selection of titles. Ideally, I would want to see a localized version of Dracula X. A bit unrealistic, but that sort of stunt has been incorporated into the SNES mini and Genesis mini, so it's not that big of an ask.

I'm going to need some more details and re-assurances before I pre-order something like this. I didn't get hyped for the Genesis mini until M2 came on board. And while Konami has had a few decent retro collections recently, they haven't necessarily been stellar. Just going to need a little more to go on than we have at present.

I do like that apparently Turbo-CD games are fair game. That at least is encouraging. The short list of games they have so far are all solid entries. But this is going to be a one-shot deal, so we definitely need to be seeing a larger selection of titles. Ideally, I would want to see a localized version of Dracula X. A bit unrealistic, but that sort of stunt has been incorporated into the SNES mini and Genesis mini, so it's not that big of an ask.
You think a localized Dracula D is unrealistic? Try asking for Snatcher.

No TV Sports Football? lol such cheese passing 

I will probably get one of these if it has military madness, splatterhouse and some of the "TV sports" titles

You think a localized Dracula D is unrealistic? Try asking for Snatcher.
If we get Snatcher my head my explode like that scene from Scanners!

I've wanted to pick up a TG16 for years now, but they are hard to find around me and the games are even harder and more expensive to find in general. I assume this will retail for under $100 but it has to have a solid line up games. Once Sega announced the full line-up for the Genesis Mini I immediately pre-ordered one.

The problem with a western release of a Turbo-Grafx mini is that the game selection in the west was quite lean. The Japanese PC Engine mini is going to be spoiled for choice. In Japan, the PC Engine got tons of games. Over here, the selection was a lot more meager. It would be nice to see a few import-style, unreleased titles on the Turbo-Grafx mini, but I probably shouldn't hold my breath.

I don’t understand why everyone is now doing the “well reveal the rest of the games later!” It’s like everyone followed the PlayStation Classic and was like guess that’s how you do it
Sega announcing the games in waves was pretty good for marketing, every month or two you'd see gaming sites/youtubers/etc talking about it again as more games are announced. NES/SNES didn't need that.

Similar to the architecture of the original console, it features a single controller port and will only include one original-sized controller in the box.  Hence, multiplayer partying will definitely require an additional purchase of a multitap accessory and any extra controllers you need for local co-op.  

regions.jpg

Well, if they wanted to be REALLY authentic, they could include a extra USB port on the controller itself, and let you daisy-chain additional controllers to it. I seem to recall that being a thing with the original system.

Great pre line up Dungeon explorers Alien Crush,  If I recall  The turbo version of R type was the superior version among all consoles and the one that was closet to the arcade.  I agree with the one user TV sports football was revolutionary at the time. 

IMO adding lord of the rising son would be send this over the top.  Did that game ever appear on another home console?  

You're thinking of 3do.
Indeed, 3do and a couple others had the daisy chain. To be really authentic to PCE and TG16, they'd need to use different ports on the PCE and core grafx then the TG16 and make the controllers not fit in each other. Since they are USB maybe use USB-C on the jp and EU ones and regular old usb on the NA?

This is one I'd love to get and mod. I will never collect physically for it, so to own the entire library in one semi official capacity is ideal for me. Some with that new commodore they announced. Definitely interested in following this.

I need an English version of snatcher... please make it happen.

No kidding? Why hasn't it been re-released on more current systems (since, what, PS1?), EVER? Doesn't Konami like money??
Why? Even with the censoring, the Sega CD version is the definitive version of the game, which is available in English. It is also the only version in English.

In addition, every version has some faults to it (including censorship), but it's commonly accepted that the Sega CD one is the best one. Konami or another team would literally need to redo Snatcher to make it better than what's available now, which won't happen for a product like this.

Why? Even with the censoring, the Sega CD version is the definitive version of the game, which is available in English. It is also the only version in English.

In addition, every version has some faults to it (including censorship), but it's commonly accepted that the Sega CD one is the best one. Konami or another team would literally need to redo Snatcher to make it better than what's available now, which won't happen for a product like this.
Need a Sega CD mini then.... so I can have Snatcher and Scottie Pippen shut up and jam :lol:

If Konami had an English version of Snatcher on this, the internets would explode.  No way it's happening.

I'd rather not see Snatcher added to this and would much rather get an HD remaster of Snatcher and Policenauts. 

bread's done
Back